View Full Version : Open Carry at CA GOP Convention

03-23-2010, 7:32 AM
This may be a dupe, but I searched and couldn't find it. Sounds like the GOP needs to find a more pro-2A venue for its conventions in the future. From one of the Campaign for Liberty blogs (http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog.php?view=33528) (my bolding):

C4LCA members up and down the Golden State came to rainy Sunnyvale to hear and meet gubernatorial candidate Chelene Nightingale and congressional candidate John Dennis and get some grass roots training. Both candidates were awesome they both stayed to the very end meeting and greeting, but what impressed me the most was that both Chelene and John answering any and all questions that was given to them by C4L members and guests.

That night after the C4LCA conference Republican C4L members drove to Santa Clara to support John Dennis and tested the water with open carry at the California GOP Convention in Santa Clara.

John Dennis had a fantastic Saturday rally inside of the main entrance of the Hyatt with supporters chanting loudly "2010 the year Pelosi ENDS!" And that evening John stopped by the Republican Liberty Caucus of California's hospitality suite, spoke and met with many of his supporters.

C4L members Walter, Dave and I open carried at the convention Friday night and I was able to open carry Friday night and most of Saturday. Walter and Dave opened carried all night, but on their way out of the hotel they were approached by Hyatt hotel security staff and were asked to remove their legal unloaded holstered sidearm because the Hyatt had a no-fire arm policy that they refused to show and besides they were told "some of their guests felt uncomfortable." Since I wasn't asked to leave that Friday I came back the next day and open carried. I was spotted in the late evening and was asked to remove my legal unloaded holstered sidearm.

Never stay at any Hyatt again.

Before you open carry check out your local laws on open carry

Funny, being pro 2nd Amendment is a GOP platform, one would think they would find pro 2nd Amendment venues for their conventions and allow open carry.

03-23-2010, 8:02 AM
I'm not really surprised. A lot of hotels with a bar serving booze don't allow firearms (which is law in many states). And a lot of them have a no firearm policy, requiring that you lock your firearm in their safes.

Check out hotel policies before you make a reservation.

03-23-2010, 10:11 AM
What an odd test.

03-23-2010, 10:58 AM
It's hard to find a hotel that's pro-open carry.

It would also be hard to find a hotel chain that supports everything a political party supports pro/antil abortion/ gun rights, womens' rights, gay rights, etc.

Yes, what an odd test for open carry.

03-23-2010, 1:51 PM
GOP and NRA are wary of OC as a politically divisive issue. That said, the GOP, like the NRA Convention in Phoenix last year*, should do all it can to insure that the meeting venue doesn't prohibit lawful carry.

*NRA got AZ to allow carry (open and concealed) in the city's convention center (where carry had been prohibited due to alcohol sales).