PDA

View Full Version : C&R Pistol

cntrolsguy
03-22-2010, 7:58 PM
So let me get this straight (by the way I did do a search and could not get a definitive answer cause my search foo is weak).

So if a private party has a pistol that is over 50 years old and I want to buy it does it need to go through an FFL? Also what would the seller need to do or what would you recommend he does to protect himself.

Thanks

CSACANNONEER
03-22-2010, 8:08 PM
All handguns made after 1898 need to go through an 01FFL when they are transfered.

M. D. Van Norman
03-23-2010, 8:37 AM
In California, modern handguns may only be transferred by licensed dealers in most cases. If you are a licensed collector buying C&R firearms in another state, the laws will be different. However, any handgun you import to California must still be registered.

cntrolsguy
03-23-2010, 12:48 PM
In California, modern handguns may only be transferred by licensed dealers in most cases. If you are a licensed collector buying C&R firearms in another state, the laws will be different. However, any handgun you import to California must still be registered.

Ok I think this answers my question. The handgun is not an import, it is from a private party that resides here in California but if I buy it is still needs to go through a FFL correct?

jmlivingston
03-23-2010, 12:50 PM
Correct.

timdps
03-23-2010, 2:04 PM
As others have said, yes, a handgun needs to go through an FFL for transfer.

You are probably getting it confused with the long guns law where a long gun over 50 years old is exempt from having to go through an FFL, so can transfer in CA with no FFL involved.

Tim

So let me get this straight (by the way I did do a search and could not get a definitive answer cause my search foo is weak).

So if a private party has a pistol that is over 50 years old and I want to buy it does it need to go through an FFL? Also what would the seller need to do or what would you recommend he does to protect himself.

Thanks