View Full Version : Swedish mauser 96

03-22-2010, 6:32 PM
Can i get some of your thoughts on the Swedish mauser 96. 6.5x55. If you have one, how do you like them? How much are these goin for these days? In good condition .

03-22-2010, 6:40 PM
My daddy told me not to buy one.:mad: He has three that will be mine and, right now, I don't have room for them anyways.Besides, right now, I don't have time to load for all the calibers I have anyway. Other than that, they are awsome rifles chambered in an awsome caliber!

03-22-2010, 6:43 PM
Excellent shooter and very accurate - Seems to be available for around 275-400 depending on conditions -

03-22-2010, 7:06 PM
My M96 was the first rifle that I bought when I turned 18. I saved it from some animal that was going to cut it down and turn it into a pig gun. I can shoot 1 inch groups with irons all day long, so I know the rifle is much more accurate than I am. It was built in 1901, but could pass for a rifle much younger. I have bought many rifles since my Swedish, but none are more accurate or smoother. So, my search continues for a rifle that will outshoot this one. As far as going rate, I've been seeing them for around 300-500 in shooter grade. Mine was much cheaper in the days of yore.

03-22-2010, 7:26 PM
I had a 1903 and she was gorgeous, smooth as butter.

03-22-2010, 7:30 PM
The 96 action is one of the best, in my opinion. If you can only have one bolt action, it would be a very good choice to go Swede.

I have 4 of them - 2 carbines and 2 long rifles - and they are some of my favoriate firearms.

03-22-2010, 8:22 PM
Sweet. I just picked one up. And he is gonna look for the reloading die`s and some loaded rounds and empty cases. It is not all matching, but most is.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-23-2010, 7:02 AM
They are great guns, that use a great round. I took my first deer with one many moons ago. They tend to shoot a bit high inside of 300 yards due to the sights. But taller front sight posts are readily available. Or you just learn to aim a couple of inches low. I used to ring gongs with one of mine out to 600 yards, open sights, with an almost boring regularity. You won't regret buying one.

03-23-2010, 9:47 AM
I've been collecting C&R rifles for more than 25 years, they come and go during those years. M96 was the first that had me hooked up and still up to now it never cease to amaze me as for over all performance and the way it was built. That being said you'll never regret owning one. As for being 6.5 caliber, it's one of the best choice for precision target shooting.

03-23-2010, 6:07 PM
I have two M41B's and they seem to be the most accurate of the WW2 era sniper rifles..............especially with reloads

03-24-2010, 8:22 AM
Nice. I was thinking about selling it, but im starting to really like this rifle. Can`t seem to find some ammo for it though. Yall think is`s more accurate than a K31?

03-24-2010, 9:06 PM
if you sell it, you'll regret it. yes, more accurate than a k31, if only just. as for ammo, damn near everyone makes it now. Prvi is cheap, although there are better loads from some of the others, buy the Prvi and reload your own. i have an Oberndorff 1898 mfr that's stock, non-matching, but shoots better than anything, and i have a Gustaf 1906 that was sporterized, not by me of course, but it's very nice and would make a great hunting rifle. even with really HOT loads, the 6.5 is pleasant to shoot, extremely accurate, and will kill about anything in North America, including terrorists. they've been hunting rather large things with it in europe for 100 years and it's still one of the most popular rounds over there for very good reason. keep that rifle and love it. get a k31 too though, they're also a fantastic rifle. i'll wager 2nd only to the swedes, although i don't yet have an '03 springfield or a p17 enfield.

03-25-2010, 4:44 PM
One of the best and most accurate military ever made!!

03-25-2010, 8:38 PM
SVT, those are NICE! Just sold mine. Didnt even get a chance to shoot it. Seller regret setting in already, but, a deal is a deal.

03-25-2010, 10:11 PM
Nice. I was thinking about selling it, but im starting to really like this rifle. Can`t seem to find some ammo for it though. Yall think is`s more accurate than a K31?

K31's are more accurate (those pesky Swiss) but they are both great rifles. Boise gun has a nice reasonably priced M38 for sale

03-26-2010, 10:11 PM
I had a carbine many years ago. Super accurate. I still regret selling it. I will replace it one day but right now I'm working on a K31 (refinish wood & adding a no-gunsmith scope mount) so another M38 is going to have to wait.