View Full Version : AB1663 response I got from AM Curt Hagman

03-22-2010, 5:20 PM
I am semi-new to firearms and knowledge of the 2nd amendment. I read about AB962 and then AB1663. I saw the forum post where someone gave all the email links to all the assembly members and urged to contact them. I did this and the one response that I really liked was from Curt Hagman. You probably all already received the same response and know all this, but if you don't this guy had a great reply to me. I forwarded it on to my father and his response was "Remember that guys name if he ever runs for Governor. I like his response". I also could not agree more. This hits the nail on the head and just thought I'd share it here. Thanks.

Thank you for contacting my office to express your support for my legislation, AB1663 which would repeal the recently passed AB 962.

Last fall, Governor Schwarzenegger signed into law AB 962 which would, commencing February 1, 2011, require handgun ammunition vendors to obtain a thumbprint and other information from ammunition purchasers. The bill would also provide that the delivery or transfer of ownership of handgun ammunition may only occur in a face-to-face transaction, with the deliverer being provided bona fide evidence of identity of the purchaser.

AB 962 places hardships on law-abiding citizens, increases small business costs, and creates a database of ammunition purchases that exposes personal information to identity theft and other misuses.

I have introduced AB 1663 to reverse this Democrat ‘feel good’ measure that does absolutely nothing to make California a safer place. An ammunition registry does not prevent crime, it only further restricts the rights of California’s responsible gun owners. Criminals who obtain ammunition illegally will continue to do so and now your local businessman will be stuck with the charge of a massive multi-million dollar record keeping system.

We need to focus our limited resources on criminals, not our law-abiding citizens and small businesses.

AB 1663 is scheduled to be taken up by the Public Safety Committee on Tuesday, March 23rd. As Vice-Chair, I will fight to pass this legislation to the Assembly Floor for a vote. Your support is much appreciated.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to serve you.

Assemblyman Curt Hagman
District 60