PDA

View Full Version : Did you know

wedg56
03-22-2010, 5:58 PM
I have a friend at work who told me he was stopped by the CHP for speeding. When the officer ran his license he asked my friend if he had his gun in the car. My friend asked what he was talking about and the officer stated that they were linked to the DOJ and all weapons registered to you come up on thier screen so do you have your gun in your car. My friend no longer owned the gun so his answer was no. Have any of you ever heard of this? Just wondering how this should be handled in the future if I am ever stopped. I don't feel it is any of thier buisness if it is only a traffic stop. any thoughts?

-wedg56

spddrcr
03-22-2010, 6:02 PM
it's weird that this same exact topic comes up every couple of months and it's always written out almost word for word as you have written it, but it usually turns out to not be true.

IGOTDIRT4U
03-22-2010, 6:05 PM
it's weird that this same exact topic comes up every couple of months and it's always written out almost word for word as you have written it, but it usually turns out to not be true.

Ditto.

And the answer alwasy is, the two systems are not automatically linked, but an officer can check through the proper system if he needs to, or dispatch it.

Texas Boy
03-22-2010, 7:33 PM
And just (if not more) important - You do not have to answer any questions from the police! (other than providing DL, registration, prof of insurance, etc).

CHP "Do you have any guns in the car?"

"I'm sorry officer, I'm not going to answer any questions. Am I free to go?" should be your response each and every time - period.

You have no legal obligation to answer ANY question, other than providing basic identification.

Beelzy
03-22-2010, 7:44 PM
Well that's odd.

As I have a gun or two, one of which is a RAW and I get pulled over for driving
too fast once in a while. The Fuzz have never asked me that question.

woodsman
03-22-2010, 7:45 PM
I have never been asked about guns during a traffic stop.

HowardW56
03-22-2010, 7:48 PM
I have never been asked about guns during a traffic stop.

Same here

POLICESTATE
03-22-2010, 7:54 PM
I bet this friend at work had an NRA bumper sticker or some other indication on the car that he might have a gun in the car.

Shotgun Man
03-22-2010, 7:57 PM
Welcome to calguns.

Just an aside, the preferred practice on posting new threads is to encapsulate the substance of your post in your title, rather than giving a cryptic, uninformative title.

A better title to your thread would be something along the lines of "Traffic Stop-- CHP asks for Gun."

CSACANNONEER
03-22-2010, 8:02 PM
The last time I got a ticket, I had just left a range and the back seat area of my truck was overflowing with rifle cases. I had a reloading press on my front seat blocking access to my glove compartment. Not only did the CHP officer not ask me such a stupid question, he decided not to make me empty the front seat of my truck to dig out my registration and proff of insurance. He just gave me a speeding ticket and went on his way.

Lateralus
03-22-2010, 9:33 PM
I've been pulled over.... several times when I was younger. Since I slapped on the NRA sticker I've had 2 officer interactions. Neither instance did the officer ask about guns.

gvbsat
03-23-2010, 7:29 AM
Welcome to calguns.

Just an aside, the preferred practice on posting new threads is to encapsulate the substance of your post in your title, rather than giving a cryptic, uninformative title.

A better title to your thread would be something along the lines of "Traffic Stop-- CHP asks for Gun."

I think you should get together a spread sheet so everyone knows just how to post. :43: