PDA

View Full Version : Spring Turkey Hunting

center_x
03-22-2010, 5:06 PM
Hey Guys,

The season starts Saturday. Anyone get picked for any of the special hunts???

Where is everyone planning on going??
You going to take em with your bow or shotgun, maybe even your pellet gun??

Have you been out scouting your hunting locations yet?? Have you seen any good sign??

I plan on going on private property in Placer County. Im going to start the season out with my bow. Ill prob head out wednesday and briefly scout the property out and put my blind up.

I cant wait. How about everyone else.

Baxter
03-22-2010, 6:41 PM
I saw around 50 birds today, so tempting.

picasso
03-22-2010, 6:47 PM
50!!!!:eek: Where at???

repomanNWP
03-22-2010, 7:01 PM
A friend and I will turkey hunt for the first time this year. We're pretty clueless but have been trying to learn what we can. Attended the "turkey tuneup" here in San Diego county out at Sutherland dam: the good news is they've counted over 1000 birds, the bad news is, there is 10x that many hunters :eek: so it will be exceedingly difficult down here like any hunting on public land. Oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained. I saw some birds 2 yrs ago in a different area of the county and may try to find some small patches of public land to squat in and get lucky.

taperxz
03-22-2010, 9:20 PM
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/taperx/IMG_0207.jpg

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/taperx/IMG_0203.jpg

I know where i'll be!!

radio2
03-22-2010, 9:48 PM
Going to my friends cabin and he said they are gobblin now, Hope they are when I get there Friday afternoon:) as no one hunts on his property and plenty there!!!!!!!!! Except for me!!!!

center_x
03-22-2010, 10:01 PM
taperxz: NICE! Great pics.....nothing like drinking coffee and dustin a toad off your porch in the morning. Is that in Norcal??

repomamNWP: good luck! Ive found the best time to hunt public property is midweek. Theres not as many crazies out then. Best of luck. Turkey hunting is addicting.

77bawls
03-22-2010, 11:52 PM
Last year there were a bunch by FedEx in Rancho Cordova. I always see them where the freeway dumps into Auburn Blvd near winding way too. To bad you can't hunt in town.

Cougar125
03-23-2010, 6:46 AM
Going to my friends' property up in Mariposa County. He has roughly 60 head that cross down to his pond 2-3 times a day. Just down the road from him on another property I saw roughly another 100 birds in a 2 mile drive to the highway on Sunday morning.

Deluhathol
03-23-2010, 7:51 AM
I saw a dead one on the side of the freeway in pleasant hill on my way to work Monday morning. I'm hoping that that's a sign stating I will be surrounded by dead turkeys I have shot :)

taperxz
03-23-2010, 8:29 AM
Early in the season it is tough to call em because they are with their hens and dont want to leave em. Once the hens lay their eggs and go sit on them about 9:30- 10:00 Start calling. That is how you get the big ones. JMO

center_x
03-23-2010, 9:31 AM
Taperxz.....I agree, when the toms are tied up with the hens, I try calling the hens. Most of the time there is a lead hen. She's usually the one making the most noise. I like to interrupt her and call over her. Usually that pisses her off and brings her closer, to beat some hen butt up, which brings MR.BIGBIRD in range. Its worked a few times. Then maybe we can be like "deluathol" and have dead birds around us :laugh:

Bearclaw
03-26-2010, 5:58 PM
I actually saw a jake standing on the top of the freeway wall on a bridge here in San Jose. It was the bridge on HWY85 Northbound right before the Almaden Exit! It was kinda weird.

antonio
03-26-2010, 6:15 PM
Heading out tomorrow morning 2 m friends ranch was there yesterday seen about 50 which is not unusual year round will be bagging one for sure

center_x
03-27-2010, 2:02 PM
How did everyone do??? Today was a great opening day. Hope there was plenty of killing.

I got a 9inch bearded turkey just before 630am this morning. I shot him with my bow about 20 yard away. I figure the bird was about 20+ pounds and had1" long spurs.

I picked the bird up from the field and put him behind my blind and my buddy left his blind and joined me in mine. We ended up calling in a struting/gobblin jake. My buddy dusted the jake about 15 yards away with his bow just before 730 am.

Great start for opening day.

napahunter
03-27-2010, 4:15 PM
One Jake down, to get the skunk off for the year..Tomorrow is a new day. Happy hunting to all!

Bearclaw
03-28-2010, 1:16 PM
So I was out for the opener yesterday and came back empty handed. :pinch:
I went to a spot where I had put a gobbler to roost a few days earlier. Got out there about 0430 and hiked in to my spot. Hunted till noon and nothing. I did hear a turkey gobble but he was over on private land probably about 100-150 yards away from me. No luck. I'm guessing it is probably the same one I put to roost a few days ago. So I had to leave to make a birthday party later in the day, but here's what happened on my way out....

...in this place where I was hunting, I have only seen a total of 5 hunters over the last 6 months. Yesterday I counted 12. As I'm in my truck driving off I spot 9 turkey, and a yote that was creeping up on them!!! On private property. About a quarter-mile down the road I see 3 more turkey!! On private property. Within the next 5 or 6 miles I end up counting 4 more yotes, of which 2 were together. And guess what folks??? (Drumroll please....) Private Property. That's a totall of 12 other hunters, 12 turkey and 5 coyotes!!! I just keep telling myself that at least it is good to know that they are out there. Okay...I think I'm going to go cry now. :nopity:

Bearclaw
03-29-2010, 10:54 AM
so who else besides the almighty seacow has had luck?

center_x
03-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Here was my bird I got Saturday opening morning with my bow.

My buddy got his shortley after I got mine. Both birds opening morning before 730am with our bows :-)

taperxz
03-29-2010, 3:56 PM
I got one. I knew i would if you want to see him go to page one and see the gob looking at you.