PDA

View Full Version : Cool Mosin reference in game

rp55
03-22-2010, 4:24 PM
So I'm playing Stalker: Call of Pripyat and am running around the Volkhov AA Complex Armory shooting zombies when this shows up on the wall. I'd like to have an Soviet poster like this.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j302/rpwhite55/guns/mosin-poster.jpg

Milsurp Collector
03-22-2010, 4:47 PM
Not exactly the same but similar

http://www.mosinnagant.net/the%20mosin-nagant%20store/mhc-poster.asp

http://www.zazzle.com/mosin+nagant+posters

macadamizer
03-22-2010, 5:59 PM
Off topic, but how is that game? I liked Stalker: Chernobyl, but haven't picked this one up yet!

Fallout 3 has Mosins too.

CmpsdNoMore
03-22-2010, 6:00 PM
Silly Russian, that's not how you shoot a rifle!

rp55
03-22-2010, 6:08 PM
Thanks for the links Milsurp I am ordering one.

The game is somewhat different than Shadow of Chernobyl. It's a sequel where Clear Sky was a prequel. I prefer games where I skulk around the countryside looking for stuff and killing things rather than run and gun shoot em ups like COD. The game is difficult, even on it's easiest setting but I am liking it so far.

professorhard
03-22-2010, 6:08 PM
RPG style

Jason762
03-22-2010, 7:14 PM
Off topic, but how is that game? I liked Stalker: Chernobyl, but haven't picked this one up yet!

It's good. Short, it seems. Chernobyl was better, but this game is enjoyable.

It's kind of a stand-alone game.

CDFingers
03-23-2010, 5:35 AM
http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff254/CDFingers/91381.jpg

CDFingers

Attiic
03-23-2010, 2:25 PM

No it doesn't.

macadamizer
03-23-2010, 2:33 PM
No it doesn't.

The .32 caliber rifle with scope sure looks like one in my PS3 version. I'll see if I can't find a screen capture.

rojocorsa
03-23-2010, 6:00 PM
I love the Fallout bolt action, but I wouldn't call it a Mosin. The cocking piece is just not there (the Mosin style one, I mean.)

OTOH, the Chicom Assault rifle resembles an RPD and the normal one just screams CETME.

N_S
03-23-2010, 7:09 PM
I have all the games we're talking about.
F3, SOC, COP and also Clear Sky (which is the second STALKER title, COP is the third).

The hunting rifle in Fallout 3 is not a Mosin. In the 3d shots you can clearly see that the bolt handle isn't attached to the side of the bolt, it is clearly a derivative of the Mauser action which makes more sense anyway. It only looks like a Mosin because it's beat to hell and held together with duct tape :D

Also that poster appears in the 100 Rads Bar in the first game. In fact it's recycled a couple times throughout the series.
The exact translation is "Guard, warrior, rifle like life yours." and after rearranging it to proper syntax in english it means "Warrior, guard your rifle like your life.", the white text is illegible in that screenshot and I don't remember off the top of my head what it was.

Also as far as the three games stack up.
SOC:
Can't stand on its own two feet. Requires patching before it's even remotely stable. But once it works it's an excellent game made even better by all the mods that have been made for it. There are even overhaul mods like OL, Arsenal (which adds hundreds of new weapons), Proboi Story (which adds an entirely new story mission) and Super Mod Pack which is OL, Arsenal plus a bunch of other mods. With these mods we go from an excellent game to a mindbogglingly awesome one, provided the crashing remains to a minimum.
CS:
The weakest of the series by far. Needs patching before it stops crashing constantly. Story just isn't that compelling, tried some new mechanics such as faction wars that didn't work out (you get shouted at by some guy all the way across the map because a mutant dog is attacking him and they don't shut up until you get there). Combat is crippled by constant and infuriating grenade spam. The biggest insult to me is that they hobbled the modding potential. New animations are impossible or really hard to add so giant overhaul mods like OL and Arsenal are now impossible although there are lots of recommended mods that make this game quite enjoyable in its own right. Also all the levels that they add (instead of the levels they hold over from the previous game) are very well made.
COP:
First in the series that is stable on release. Good story, excellent without mods. But I find the story a little too short and the overall size of the game levels too small. It's also still not as moddable as the first game. For this reason despite the fact that it is superbly well made, very stable and the gameplay mechanics are spot-on I'd say it ties with the first title in my book.

As for Fallout 3.
Another good game. I've been a huge fan of the franchise since Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics (even though that one isn't cannon). However it's a departure from the old isometric versions for better or worse. VATS is really just an afterthought whereas in the originals it governed EVERYTHING during combat encounters from walking to opening doors and now it only governs attacking which in my opinion gave up much of the critical "think your way out of everything" core gameplay mechanic that the other games had.
Compared to the STALKER franchise Fallout 3 has everything that STALKER doesn't and STALKER has everything Fallout 3 doesn't. If we had the completely open world of Fallout 3, with the same colorful "don't take ourselves so seriously" atmosphere combined with STALKER's excellent animations, AI, combat, weapons and inventory system I think it would be the single greatest video game of all time.

knucklehead0202
03-24-2010, 10:12 PM
i'm curious about these games, but i must know, are they actually first-person? i can't stand RPGs. also, are they available on PC? sorry for the NOOB questions but since the babies came, i haven't been very active in the video games.

nick
03-24-2010, 10:21 PM
So I'm playing Stalker: Call of Pripyat and am running around the Volkhov AA Complex Armory shooting zombies when this shows up on the wall. I'd like to have an Soviet poster like this.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j302/rpwhite55/guns/mosin-poster.jpg

It says, "Soldier, guard your rifle like you would your life".

Looks like a poster on cleaning the rifle.

nick
03-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Silly Russian, that's not how you shoot a rifle!

It's a poster about cleaning the rifle. Can't you read Russian after all the games you've played??? :eek:

N_S
03-25-2010, 12:19 PM
i'm curious about these games, but i must know, are they actually first-person? i can't stand RPGs. also, are they available on PC? sorry for the NOOB questions but since the babies came, i haven't been very active in the video games.

The STALKER series is an FPS RPG. Leaning more towards FPS. It isn't linear, there's a complex inventory system and a story with tons of side missions and stuff like that. But unlike many RPGs you don't just vaguely control an avatar and tell it what to do, you actually have very immersivle and challenging firefights to deal with and like an FPS you control every motion. There's also no leveling up of the character, just different equipment to choose from.

Fallout 3 on the other hand is more RPG than FPS. This is because it is a combination of two RPGs, the original 3rd person isometric Fallout series (1,2 and Tactics) and Oblivion. It also incorporates massive non-linear free-roam areas with lots of side quests but you don't quite feel as in control during combat as you do in the STALKER series, you can tell the character to aim for certain enemies and certain parts of their body with a given probability of hitting them and varying damage based on weapon condition and skill with a system called VATS (which pauses the game while you make your decisions) or you can just pelt at people in real-time. There is also a lot of leveling up.

Both are good games by the way.
If you prefer FPSes over RPGs go for STALKER, if you prefer RPGs go for Fallout 3.
If you want to make the best game ever combine the best elements of both.

rp55
03-25-2010, 5:34 PM
By the way. Did you that the game STALKER is based on a film from 1979 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_%28film%29). That was 7 years before Chernobyl mind you. I have never seen it but I found one on eBay and am going to buy it.

knucklehead0202
03-25-2010, 9:44 PM
thanks N S, i'm gonna get it, as long as i can get it for PC

rojocorsa
03-25-2010, 10:31 PM
Fallout 3 is addicting. Consider yourself warned.

N_S
03-27-2010, 3:51 PM
thanks N S, i'm gonna get it, as long as i can get it for PC

It's PC exclusive.
Also I hope your PC is up to spec, it's a pretty graphics intensive game.