View Full Version : Folding blade in Sacramento County

03-22-2010, 1:33 PM
I'm pretty well-versed in CA state knife laws, so I don't need information on general legalities like "folding knives have no legal length limit" and "you can't conceal fixed blades of any length." I understand all the laws at the state level.

What I'm concerned with is specific to Sacramento County Code.

In the following code, does "county property" refer to any public place within the county borders? or does it refer to only places such as county courthouses and sheriff's department offices?

9.42 is the only code I found in the Sac County Code that refers to knives. So does that mean that I can carry any length folder without having to worry about a misdemeanor as long as I stay out of courthouses and such?

9.42.010 Prohibition.
The carrying, transportation, use or possession of dangerous weapons or dangerous articles is prohibited in or upon any building or grounds. (SCC 264 § 1 (part), 1976.)

9.42.020 Dangerous Weapon Defined.
As used in this chapter, “dangerous weapon” includes any instrument or weapon of the kind commonly known as a blackjack, slingshot, billy, metal knuckles, dagger, knife, pistol, revolver, or any other firearm, razor with an unguarded blade, and any metal pipe or bar used or intended to be used in a club. (SCC 264 § 1 (part), 1976.)"

Also, I took a look at the Sacramento City Codes, and it looks like they only prohibit the carrying of "dangerous weapons" if you are doing so while fighting, loitering, lurking, etc. Can anyone help me verify this?

03-22-2010, 1:54 PM
Based on my reading of this, I would say it applies to county parks, county owned buildings, county fairgrounds, county owned landfills, basically any property that is owned by the county.