PDA

View Full Version : Linked belts of ammo

Ripper
03-21-2010, 1:15 PM
Some friends asked me if Linked belts of ammo Legal to have, so that is the question is it Legal?:)

Lone_Gunman
03-21-2010, 1:26 PM
same rules apply to linked ammo as applies to magazines. If you are buying them now you are limited to links of 10 rounds. If you were in posession of them before 2000 then you are GTG. That said- posession is not regulated but you can't import, manufacture, sell, or give high capacity ammunition feeding devices. Again Posession Is Not Regulated.

One thing I was wondering- If you owned a linked belt before the ban and shot it post ban could you buy more links to repair that belt? Hmmmmmm.

Experimentalist
03-21-2010, 1:52 PM
One thing I was wondering- If you owned a linked belt before the ban and shot it post ban could you buy more links to repair that belt? Hmmmmmm.

I believe so. We all know it's legal to repair a high capacity ammunition feeding device, and you pointed out that linked ammo counts as an ammunition feeding device.

cdtx2001
03-21-2010, 3:26 PM
I'd hate to be a test case of reloading 200 links of ammo and having some gung ho DA say I manufactured a hi-cap ammunition feeding device.

Of course, if they wanted to take it that far, then why do stores sell links 100-200 links at a time? Should I get my foil hat on and insist on buying only 10 links at a time?

elrcastor
03-21-2010, 4:02 PM
if the links are not connected it's just parts

REH
03-21-2010, 5:21 PM
I spoke to a person at DOJ about this issue.

Question. If I had a 100 round belt of links, loaded, before the ban, emptied the belt post ban, could I reload the links?
Her response was yes, if you owned the links before the ban. Unfortunately I did not get her name.

Beelzy
03-21-2010, 6:11 PM
I spoke to a person at DOJ about this issue.

Question. If I had a 100 round belt of links, loaded, before the ban, emptied the belt post ban, could I reload the links?
Her response was yes, if you owned the links before the ban. Unfortunately I did not get her name.

She forgot to mention to NEVER shoot the belt down to under 11rds. ;)

REH
03-21-2010, 6:20 PM
She forgot to mention to NEVER shoot the belt down to under 11rds. ;)

I came away with the impression that is was no different than a high cap mag. Started as a 100 rd can be reloaded to 100 round.

bohoki
03-21-2010, 6:40 PM
I came away with the impression that is was no different than a high cap mag. Started as a 100 rd can be reloaded to 100 round.

why only if its 11 round its a large cap why cant you add a +100 to it?

and then the strange case comes up what if you are pulling the now 200 round belt out of the can and it catches on the lid and breaks in half

did you just create a 100 round magazine? and if so which half is the illegally manufactured one?

REH
03-21-2010, 8:10 PM
why only if its 11 round its a large cap why cant you add a +100 to it?

and then the strange case comes up what if you are pulling the now 200 round belt out of the can and it catches on the lid and breaks in half

did you just create a 100 round magazine? and if so which half is the illegally manufactured one?

If it started as a 200rd then it stays a 200rd. Why would links that create a 200rd belt be any different than 100rd mag that you owned before the ban?

motorhead
03-22-2010, 1:53 AM
if preban you can completely rebuild it. all parts. completely shoot up and relink.

thefurball
03-22-2010, 5:40 AM
I was told as long as you do not go below 10 rounds linked (that is why you load a dummy in #11) you can link as many as you can afford on to the end of the belt.

timdps
03-22-2010, 8:39 AM
When discussing belts please specify whether you are talking about disintegrating belts or non-disintegrating belts.

Not specifying which type of belt causes much confusion whenever this discussion happens.

Tim

REH
03-22-2010, 9:39 AM
I was discussing disintegrating belts. It would not matter which you use, as long as you owned it before the ban. As for the, not shooting below 10 rds, I don't understand the concept. Running a pre ban hi cap mag empty and reloading it is legal. Why would a pre ban box of disintegrating links be any different?

motorhead
03-22-2010, 9:46 AM
me either. what would be the point of saving the last 11? ammo feeding devices can be COMPLETELY rebuilt with 100% new parts. no portion of the old one has to remain or be reused.

bohoki
03-22-2010, 10:11 AM
If it started as a 200rd then it stays a 200rd. Why would links that create a 200rd belt be any different than 100rd mag that you owned before the ban?

think

if you have a glock 17 magazine you can legally add a +2 bottom so what is the difference of adding a +100 to your belt

but if the belt breaks in half you now have 2 large capacity magazines which one is the illegally manufactured one

bohoki
03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
I was told as long as you do not go below 10 rounds linked (that is why you load a dummy in #11) you can link as many as you can afford on to the end of the belt.

i assume a dummy with the rim ground off

DRH
03-22-2010, 11:43 AM
me either. what would be the point of saving the last 11? ammo feeding devices can be COMPLETELY rebuilt with 100% new parts. no portion of the old one has to remain or be reused.

When you are using a high capacity magazine, the magazine never ceases to be a high capacity device. The disintegrating links of a high capacity belt once fired are broken up into links which are no longer technically a high capacity device and are not controlled. If you were to relink with new ammo you could be construed to be manufacturing a high capacity belt. To avoid this issue which has not been addressed in writing by the CA DOJ, it is recommended that you do not shoot any linked high capacity belt, that you owned before 1/1/2000, below the point where it is no longer a high cap device.

Meplat
03-22-2010, 1:24 PM
It will take a lot of shooting to where out a belt! If your regular regular magazine flew apart and landed on the ground would you be OK to pick up the pieces and put them back together?

same rules apply to linked ammo as applies to magazines. If you are buying them now you are limited to links of 10 rounds. If you were in posession of them before 2000 then you are GTG. That said- posession is not regulated but you can't import, manufacture, sell, or give high capacity ammunition feeding devices. Again Posession Is Not Regulated.

gvbsat
03-22-2010, 4:23 PM
As I interpret the law, say, I find a bunch of ammunition links, I would be GTG right? I didn't import, build, manufacture, so.... all good. I guess I know what I am doing this weekend.

cosmos7
03-22-2010, 4:32 PM
I've been meaning to ask about this since my local dealer has cases of linked ammo for sale. I was pretty sure they were a no-no, but didn't say anything.

DRH
03-22-2010, 5:26 PM
As I interpret the law, say, I find a bunch of ammunition links, I would be GTG right? I didn't import, build, manufacture, so.... all good. I guess I know what I am doing this weekend.

No you may not use your links to manufacture a new high capacity belt that did not exist prior to 1/1/2000. There is no such thing as a pre ban link. A cloth belt can be pre-ban but not a link.

Back to the question at hand, I am not going to say for sure that you can't shoot your pre-existing linked belts down and then reassemble them, but you do so at the peril of being used as a test case and incurring the huge fees that go long with the arrest, bail and court costs. Until the DOJ give out something in writing and I don't think that is going to happen now, I will error on the side of caution. Here is the only letter on the subject that I have seen. Do note that the mentioned prohibitation on lending of high caps is in error.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff286/drhm2hb/TNW1919DOJLetter.jpg

Deamer
03-22-2010, 5:45 PM
Here is a another question that I have been wondering. If someone had collected fired blank brass and links and assembled them into a full belt before the ban, can the empty brass be replaced with normal ammunition and be legal?

ZRX61
03-22-2010, 5:53 PM
What if the linked belts are filled with dummy ammo?

The Director
03-22-2010, 7:12 PM
Back to the question at hand, I am not going to say for sure that you can't shoot your pre-existing linked belts down and then reassemble them, but you do so at the peril of being used as a test case and incurring the huge fees that go long with the arrest, bail and court costs. U

What you are saying is totally true, but right now I'm laughing out loud at the total ridiculousness of this law, and in part, your response. No DA, no grand jury, no judge, no one could ever successfully prosecute you what you describe. The law as written is totally unenforceable.

The Director
03-22-2010, 7:13 PM
What if the linked belts are filled with dummy ammo?

Still a high capacity ammunition feeding device. What if I buy a brand new 40 round AK mag, ship it here, and fill it with marbles? Still illegal.

dantodd
03-22-2010, 11:51 PM
N
Back to the question at hand, I am not going to say for sure that you can't shoot your pre-existing linked belts down and then reassemble them, but you do so at the peril of being used as a test case and incurring the huge fees that go long with the arrest, bail and court costs.

Do you take the same approach with magazines? Do you not disassemble them because you fear they cannot be re-assembled into a greater than 10 round configuration legally?

Deamer
03-23-2010, 12:22 AM
Still a high capacity ammunition feeding device. What if I buy a brand new 40 round AK mag, ship it here, and fill it with marbles? Still illegal.

like I posted earlier, if I collected say 300 fired blanks and links and had them joined before the ban went into effect, would I be able to replace the blank brass with live ammunition and use them?

zukieast
03-23-2010, 4:25 AM
Are there that many belt fed weapons non Class 3 left in the hands of normal Kalifornians?

I have seen the 50's in semi.

But really, 95% of ranges in the state would flip a lid if they saw someone setting up a belt fed weapon.

Which other than purchasing belts and stripping off the rounds, why is this even a discussion?

Beelzy
03-23-2010, 6:06 AM
But really, 95% of ranges in the state would flip a lid if they saw someone setting up a belt fed weapon.

Yup, every time! ;)

CSACANNONEER
03-23-2010, 6:12 AM
Are there that many belt fed weapons non Class 3 left in the hands of normal Kalifornians?

I have seen the 50's in semi.

Which other than purchasing belts and stripping off the rounds, why is this even a discussion?

I've never had a problem and don't know of one range which does not allow them. And, YES! There are a lot of semi-auto 1919s in Ca. along with a variety of other belt fed guns.

CHS
03-23-2010, 7:06 AM

Do the two 1919A4's in my garage count?

The Director
03-23-2010, 7:19 AM
like I posted earlier, if I collected say 300 fired blanks and links and had them joined before the ban went into effect, would I be able to replace the blank brass with live ammunition and use them?

Yup. As long as 11 of the rounds on the belt were live.

From God's mouth to your ear.

CSACANNONEER
03-23-2010, 2:22 PM
Yup. As long as 11 of the rounds on the belt were live.

From God's mouth to your ear.

What difference would it make if they were live rounds or not?