PDA

View Full Version : San Bruno "drunk" u.o.c

gunsmith
03-21-2010, 12:35 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/03/21/BA941CG3OP.DTL

Sure, open-carry advocates, you can flash guns in public all you want. Just don't be drunk when you do it.

A 29-year-old man who is known to the local cops for his imbibing found that out the hard way in San Bruno.

Christian George Gonzalez was allegedly plastered when he ambled up to two uniformed San Bruno police officers on Feb. 12 just after midnight at a 7-Eleven parking lot, said Steve Wagstaffe, San Mateo County's chief deputy district attorney.

He approached Officer Jack Boland and asked, "Jack, want to check me?" Wagstaffe said, noting that Boland and Gonzalez have "known each other for many years" because of Gonzalez's predilection for alcohol.

Gonzalez had a holstered .40-caliber handgun in plain view on his belt, Wagstaffe said. The officers confirmed that the gun wasn't loaded but that Gonzalez quite visibly was, because he "stumbled backwards and fell into the patrol car," the prosecutor said. Gonzalez was arrested on suspicion of being drunk in public and was arraigned on the charge last week.

Two weeks before the Feb. 12 incident, Gonzalez had walked into the same 7-Eleven with a gun on his hip and told the clerk that he could carry the weapon as long as he kept it unloaded, authorities said. Seems Gonzalez is in sympathy with an ad hoc movement seeking to increase awareness of gun rights by visibly holstering weapons in public.

Gonzalez is right on target as far as his gun rights are concerned, Wagstaffe said. "He knows the open-carry law," the prosecutor said. "But he was drunk."

A sample of postings from The Chronicle's Crime Scene blog (sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/crime/index)

This article appeared on page C - 2 of the San Francisco Chronicle

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/03/21/BA941CG3OP.DTL#ixzz0inY7buVk

VAReact
03-21-2010, 12:40 AM
DUPE

gunsmith
03-21-2010, 12:43 AM
darn

cr250chevy
03-21-2010, 1:07 AM
I've been waiting to post this myself (didn't want to dupe)- too bad... this has the *potential* of hurting the public opinion on the open carry and overall guns rights so many of us have been working towards- However I really hope that I am wrong and this will not be brought to light as a "crazy gun owner acting.... well.... crazy!"

Roadrunner
03-21-2010, 8:07 AM
:dupe:__________:dupe:_________:dupe:_______:dupe: _________:dupe:

radioman
03-21-2010, 11:36 AM
If you drive, don't drink! So if you drink, don't carry! I hope the D.A. hits this fool in the head with book, someone like that harms us all, it's bad to up set to many people, then some comes up with a bill, the bill becomes a law, and then were all f'ed,

Roadrunner
03-21-2010, 11:40 AM
If you drive, don't drink! So if you drink, don't carry! I hope the D.A. hits this fool in the head with book, someone like that harms us all, it's bad to up set to many people, then some comes up with a bill, the bill becomes a law, and then were all f'ed,

And creating threads like this keeps giving the bad guys (anti gunners) ammunition. Do we really want to do that? Let them find their own touch points to yell the sky is falling.

magsnubs
03-21-2010, 11:44 AM
He was arrested for DIP. It has bearing on the fact that he was carrying. Do they print stories when people are arrested for drunk in public while wearing glasses? No. It is irrelevant, just like the fact of this guy carrying. It only matters to us because we are held to a higher standard, and have to beg for our rights. Anyway, the legal limit for driving is one drink per hour. It's so low, losing some sleep impairs you the same amount. We will never know if he was truly drunk, or if the cops just wanted to teach him a lesson. This is a power trip arrest, and IMO it proves nothing.

Glock-matic
03-21-2010, 1:21 PM
And creating threads like this keeps giving the bad guys (anti gunners) ammunition. Do we really want to do that? Let them find their own touch points to yell the sky is falling.

Just my $.02, the antis don't need ammunition. You're thinking these are rational beings that can see truth, and they will eventually will see things our way. In reality, these fools don't believe in the rational, they believe what they want despite overwhelming evidence that their beliefs are wrong. Living in fear of giving these folks additional ammunition is giving them power they don't deserve or need. Besides, they are not waiting to here about some idiot pounding beers with a gun on his hip who interacted peaceably with the LPD, they are waiting to hear about one of their early parolees going to a school, church, or mall and wasting 30-40 lives.

Don't live in fear of the insane.

Roadrunner
03-21-2010, 1:32 PM
Just my $.02, the antis don't need ammunition. You're thinking these are rational beings that can see truth, and they will eventually will see things our way. In reality, these fools don't believe in the rational, they believe what they want despite overwhelming evidence that their beliefs are wrong. Living in fear of giving these folks additional ammunition is giving them power they don't deserve or need. Besides, they are not waiting to here about some idiot pounding beers with a gun on his hip who interacted peaceably with the LPD, they are waiting to hear about one of their early parolees going to a school, church, or mall and wasting 30-40 lives.

Don't live in fear of the insane.

On the contrary, I don't care if the antigunners like us or not, but it's the people that are not educated about firearms or are just flat out afraid of firearms that I'm concerned about. If the antigunners can say to the uneducated that guns are evil and firearm owners are drunks, that simply makes things worse. Unfortunately, there are people in Urbania that are insulated so much from firearms that they may never be exposed to guns and will continue to side with the antis because all they need is bogus stats and idiotic news articles to make their point.