PDA

View Full Version : help with transfer to hawaii?

benbangui
03-20-2010, 1:26 PM
my friends grampa died. he lives in HI and his grampa lived in redding. he asked me to help him get the gun over to him. problem is, gramp was an upstanding gent... but no one knows if the guns are legal etc. how do you go about doing a transfer from a dead person to someone in another state? just ask a FFL and pay the enormous fees? i might be going to HI in person. could i still register them to him in HI somehow? and then as a seperate thing take the rifles over with me on the plane? a little help would be nice im not sure where to start :online2long:

rabagley
03-20-2010, 2:16 PM
First, you can carry unloaded firearms on the plane in checked luggage. You'll need a lockable hardside case (and don't use a TSA lock, you should be the only person who can open it, and if the TSA wants to open it, they are supposed to come to you). When you're checking in, just say, "I have some unloaded firearms to declare." They'll ask you to open the case and you'll sign and drop in an affidavit that says the guns are unloaded. Typically, you'll then drop the bag at the screening area and wait until they've screened the bag before heading through security towards the gates. If they decide to look closer at your bag, have the key ready.

As for owning/registering the firearms in Hawaii, he'll need one permit before he can acquire any number of rifles and shotguns, and one permit per handgun. He gets this permit from the local police, and the process is painful (http://www.honolulupd.org/info/gun134-2.htm). Once he has the permit (14 day waiting period between application and permit issuance), you can fly in with the guns. Once he is in possession, he is to register each firearm within three days. For handguns, the permit has the registration form attached. For rifles and shotguns, he'll need to download or ask for additional copies of the registration forms.

Since he is taking ownership of the firearms due to inheritance, Federal law does not require the involvement of an FFL. Last I knew, Hawaii law does not change that (California does, but only if the interstate transfer is coming into California). Once you go through all of the hassle with the police and getting the permit, he's good to go.

benbangui
03-20-2010, 2:27 PM
First, you can carry unloaded firearms on the plane in checked luggage. You'll need a lockable hardside case (and don't use a TSA lock, you should be the only person who can open it, and if the TSA wants to open it, they are supposed to come to you). When you're checking in, just say, "I have some unloaded firearms to declare." They'll ask you to open the case and you'll sign and drop in an affidavit that says the guns are unloaded. Typically, you'll then drop the bag at the screening area and wait until they've screened the bag before heading through security towards the gates. If they decide to look closer at your bag, have the key ready.

As for owning/registering the firearms in Hawaii, he'll need one permit before he can acquire any number of rifles and shotguns, and one permit per handgun. He gets this permit from the local police, and the process is painful (http://www.honolulupd.org/info/gun134-2.htm). Once he has the permit (14 day waiting period between application and permit issuance), you can fly in with the guns. Once he is in possession, he is to register each firearm within three days. For handguns, the permit has the registration form attached. For rifles and shotguns, he'll need to download or ask for additional copies of the registration forms.

Since he is taking ownership of the firearms due to inheritance, Federal law does not require the involvement of an FFL. Last I knew, Hawaii law does not change that (California does, but only if the interstate transfer is coming into California). Once you go through all of the hassle with the police and getting the permit, he's good to go.

wow thanks so much :) i really appreciate it :)