PDA

View Full Version : Wild Hog anatomy... the "killzone".

CavTrooper
03-20-2010, 11:42 AM
picked this one up aff another site. Good explination and graphic photos of the where and why in regards to shooting hogs.

Take a look:

http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

pieeater
03-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Good read I dont think most people know that their vitals are that far forward. Most African animals are the same.

CavTrooper
03-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Good read I dont think most people know that their vitals are that far forward. Most African animals are the same.

Yes, informative for sure.

I actually pictured a larger shoulder plate covering the heart/lung area. After reading and seeing the pics, Im almost convinced the center neck shot is the way to go. Whattya think?

pieeater
03-20-2010, 12:48 PM
Yeah head and neck drop them pretty quick. If I have a really steady rest and a lot of time, sometimes ill go for neck or head shots. But usualy on just about any animal I shoot pretty much for the center of the vitals/ shoulder area.Its a lot more forgiving.

The seacow has some pics of ones hes headshot. lol If your using a big enough gun the eyes will blow out of the head. I shoot a 300 wby mag on them mostly and shoot for the front shoulder. It puts the hurt on even the biggest ones.

theseacow
03-21-2010, 9:14 PM
Years ago, I was shown that the easy way to kill pigs was to hit them in front of the shoulder. Sure, you can head or neck shoot em, or blow out their shoulder altogether. You can even take the traditional behind the shoulder quartering away shot whatever. Alot of guys like to use huge magnums and just aim for the biggest spot. Many things will work. This advice was given to me by a couple of guys who have killed countless pigs. When you see a billion of them die, you start to notice patterns as to what works better than others. When I started hitting pigs in front of the shoulder, they all started dying fast. If I can take that shot, thats what I'll do. Here is an image I found made by someone who also subscribes to the same philosophy.

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/6430/boarkillzone22.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/5782/butterdish.jpg

professionalcoyotehunter
03-22-2010, 8:13 AM
Thanks for the info. It was good info. I believe the pic is wrong though. The shot should be right in the middle of the right and wrong.

lewdogg21
03-22-2010, 8:14 AM
I like to shoot my pigs through both back hams and then watch PCH make jerky out of the jellied meat. :lol:

professionalcoyotehunter
03-22-2010, 8:15 AM
Nothing like a good tenderizer. I only hit one ham cause I shot her running straight away that is the one that did her in.

tpuig
03-22-2010, 8:51 AM
That's funny, I shot just behind the "right" spot and the pig dropped like a rock. As I was watching the pig, I kept thinking "right behind the shoulder, right behind the shoulder..." Then at the last minute I moved it forward a bit to try to break the shoulder. Worked like a charm. Now that I see that info, I guess I made a lucky decision.

theseacow
03-22-2010, 8:54 AM
I like to shoot my pigs through both back hams and then watch PCH make jerky out of the jellied meat. :lol:

you can also gut shoot them longways, and have a nice bowl of pre-made PCH soup when you open them up.

professionalcoyotehunter
03-22-2010, 8:56 AM
It is much easier preparation that way.

Pace
03-22-2010, 9:21 AM
Heading up north with Prospector next week to chase down some piggies. Hoping to put some pork in the freezer! :D

professionalcoyotehunter
03-22-2010, 9:22 AM
Good luck buddy.

Bearclaw
03-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Heading up north with Prospector next week to chase down some piggies. Hoping to put some pork in the freezer! :D

Be sure to take pics and give us a report!!!

Bearclaw
03-22-2010, 10:45 AM
wow...I just noticed I have the last post on every thread on the page!!! I need a life!

professionalcoyotehunter
03-22-2010, 10:47 AM
I can help you with your problem.:D

igorts
03-22-2010, 2:28 PM
I've had some luck yesterday. Buddy spotted a bedded pig at 46 yards, i was able to get to 20 and shot it.
It was quartered away, so i aim to go thru ribs into its heart.
Less than 30 yards recovery.
Fried called back today that he found my broadhead stuck in opposing shoulder.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc43/igorts/heartshot.jpg

Bearclaw
03-22-2010, 2:36 PM
I can help you with your problem.:D

What you got in mind??

pieeater
03-22-2010, 4:00 PM
Thats me I like to shoot for the front shoulder with my 300. Knocks em over in their tracks. If im using a handgun I always try and get a quartering away shot.

[QUOTE=theseacow;3995770]. Alot of guys like to use huge magnums and just aim for the biggest spot.