PDA

View Full Version : Stack-on safes?

50caliberguy
02-06-2006, 5:19 PM
Are stack-on safes any good? A local gun store has a gsd-419 for $580.

thanks
jason

vtecteg4u
02-06-2006, 5:40 PM
They work for keeping friends and family members out but arent very good at being break-in proof. And over $400 is a little much for a stack on or sentry

EvolutionGSR
02-06-2006, 6:59 PM
Like i said in the other post, (but i'll say it in a different way) stack on does not make safes, they make lockable cabinets that the CA DOJ approves of.

johnny_22
02-07-2006, 4:29 AM
Stack-on has these safes:

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/gun_safes/index.html

and these cabinets

http://www.stack-on.com/securityplus/gun_security/index.html

Although the GS-8 and GS-10 only has the 3 live bolts, the GS-416 has the bolts on the top and bottom as well.

fal_762x51
02-07-2006, 11:16 AM
I like my 2 stack-on safes. I use the "burglar bomb" in all of them, bolted to the floor and wall too. I get them when K-Mart "damages" them so a 14 gun safe comes to $100.

EvolutionGSR
02-07-2006, 5:20 PM
I stand corrected. I'm in the market for a safe too, and had not even noticed stack on makes real safes. Anyone out there have one?

Librarian
02-07-2006, 7:55 PM
A recent article comparing gun safes: Outdoor Life (http://www.outdoorlife.com/outdoor/gear/article/0,19912,402181,00.html)

Bobshouse
02-08-2006, 7:22 AM
I like my 2 stack-on safes. I use the "burglar bomb" in all of them, bolted to the floor and wall too. I get them when K-Mart "damages" them so a 14 gun safe comes to $100.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "burglar bomb" and where do I get one?

Bob

Ubergeek
02-08-2006, 8:56 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "burglar bomb" and where do I get one?

Bob

'Google' knows all and tells all:

http://www.stopthecrime.com/products.htm

EvolutionGSR
02-08-2006, 10:17 PM
I was reading the website and it says the burglar bomb is triggered by a tripline. So, how do you yourself open your safe door and not trigger the tripline?

fal_762x51
02-08-2006, 10:34 PM
Lets say someone, pulled a certain gun out from the safe, its attached to that. Also, if they try to move the safe, its going off.

TacFan
02-12-2006, 4:01 PM
Just bought a Sentinel 14-Gun safe/cabinet (sheet metal) for $50 at wallmart. They had a clearance from $149 to $89. I then negotiated with the manager to let me have it for $50 since there was a dent in it. I then came home, fixed the dent and it's all good now. It was in the SIMI valley store.

fal_762x51
02-12-2006, 5:00 PM
Ok, you beat me.

50caliberguy
02-13-2006, 5:02 PM
hmmmm I'm thinking of getting one of those Repulars from stopcrime.com for my room with the safe.

30Cal
02-14-2006, 9:21 AM
I'm don't think the burglar bomb is legal. First of all, if I'm reading the law correctly...
(e)(1) No person shall purchase, possess, or use any tear gas weapon that expels a projectile, or that expels the tear gas by any method other than an aerosol spray, or that contains more than 2.5 ounces net weight of aerosol spray.

And also
(g) Any person who uses tear gas or tear gas weapons except in self-defense is guilty of a public offense and is punishable by imprisonment in a state prison for 16 months, or two or three years or in a county jail not to exceed one year or by a fine not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both the fine and imprisonment, except that if the use is against a peace officer...

fal_762x51
02-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Its an aerosol can, purged to 2.0 ounces with a conversion, and the last statement how I read it is if you are attacking a lawful individual for no reason.

Edited: I talked to my Police Academy instructor and I can argue the last statement of "self-defense" as defending myself from financial and emotional harm. He said it’s a gray area and not to chance it if someone did break into my safe.

Dont Tread on Me
02-17-2006, 7:43 PM
treelogger - I was in Reed's indoor range today. They have the stackon cabinet. Not sure if it is in stock but they have a demo right as you walk in to the left of the counter.

Santa Cruz Armory
02-18-2006, 10:28 AM
Hey guys~

I just bought one of these safes. Its a pretty good deal and shipping to California is free on most of his safes.

I received a call from the shipping company that it was in and they said it was scratched in transit.... the cool thing is that the final price from the auction was $819, after the shipping co. put a scratch in it (about 5" long) they agreed to pay me to repaint the safe to the tune of $300! So, the safe cost me a whopping $519 for a 28 gun safe! SWEET!!

He has scratch and dent sales to for good prices.

Heres the link to the sellers site:http://cgi.ebay.com/70-TALL-WF35-Green-1350-deg-Fire-Safe-Home-Gun-Safes_W0QQitemZ7219568911QQcategoryZ52501QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps out,

~Robert

Hillbillly
02-18-2006, 10:59 AM
Hey guys~

I just bought one of these safes. Its a pretty good deal and shipping to California is free on most of his safes.

I received a call from the shipping company that it was in and they said it was scratched in transit.... the cool thing is that the final price from the auction was $819, after the shipping co. put a scratch in it (about 5" long) they agreed to pay me to repaint the safe to the tune of $300! So, the safe cost me a whopping $519 for a 28 gun safe! SWEET!!

He has scratch and dent sales to for good prices.

Heres the link to the sellers site:http://cgi.ebay.com/70-TALL-WF35-Green-1350-deg-Fire-Safe-Home-Gun-Safes_W0QQitemZ7219568911QQcategoryZ52501QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hope this helps out,

~Robert

Do you know if these are CA approved gun safes?

RW Dunn
02-18-2006, 1:22 PM
They are i have one and put it down with model on every purchase, never a problem

moulton
02-26-2006, 4:34 PM
Do you know if these are CA approved gun safes?
yup says in big letters on the side:D I got one in October when I had two guns, now I have 4 and a 5th on the way

Charliegone
03-02-2006, 6:02 PM
Don't get a stack-on cabinet from sportsman guide, they are f****** idiots! They sent me the cabinet in very poor shipping material..so poor that it looked like they wrapped it in paper! When I opened it had a small dent on the back and numerous scratches here and there! I just kept it, why bother sending it back..(not to mention the moron who delievered it left it on my porch!) DONT buy from sportsman guide they suck a**!:mad: On the other hand........the fogdog sports stack-on safe I bought came right on the day they told me and was in excellent condition!:D

pipskicks
03-19-2006, 9:39 PM
I just bought a stack-on cabinet (the cheapest, bottom of the line, build-it-yourself 8-gun safe).

There is a highly likely chance that I will be moving, so I wasn't looking for anything permanent. Not only that, but all of my 4 guns together is only worth $500 or so, maybe a little more, but not much, so it was not worth spending more on a safe than my guns were worth IMO.

It is CA DOJ approved, and if you secure it right, it won't be super easy to remove, but it definately is NOT burgular proof. The locking mechanism is pretty crappy, I guess you can't expect much, but it definately is a pain, I wouldn't depend on it in a burgulary since it is kinda flimsy and may take a bit of playing with the key to open it.

All in all, I'm happy with it, it's doing what I want it to do (keep nosy people out, deter but not prevent a burgulary).