PDA

View Full Version : Your support is needed

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-20-2010, 5:06 AM
Dear Friends:

My name is Rick D. Redding, and I am a republican candidate for California State Assembly (District 9). District 9 encapsulates most of the city of Sacramento.

I want you to know that I am the only candidate seeking this office that fully supports our second amendment right to bear arms. In fact, if the liberals that oppose me had their way we would all be forced to surrender our firearms.

I ask for your support and request that you forward my name and information to as many people as you know in Sacramento. Furthermore, if you know of anyone that is willing to donate to my campaign as a means of helping me fight for the preservation our 2nd amendment rights it would be greatly appreciated (I am being outspent 40 to 1).

You can view my website at www.voteforrick.org. You can also contact me direct at 916-289-9018 or email me at rick_redding1@yahoo.com

Sincerely,

Rick Redding
Candidate for Assembly (District 9)

stan
03-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Dear Friends:

My name is Rick D. Redding, and I am a republican candidate for California State Assembly (District 9). District 9 encapsulates most of the city of Sacramento.

I'm just going to get this over with before someone else does

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/d/images/district-9-poster-1.jpg

bigcalidave
03-20-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi Rick ! Wow, up at 5 am to post that here. Are you ever going to come back to answer the questions that people here may have for you, or is blind faith in your statement part of the game plan?

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi Rick ! Wow, up at 5 am to post that here. Are you ever going to come back to answer the questions that people here may have for you, or is blind faith in your statement part of the game plan?

I am eager and happy to answer any questions that you or anyone else on this site may have about my candidacy. I will answer them in this forum, email, in person, or by phone.

My contact info:

916-289-9018
rick_redding1@yahoo.com

obeygiant
03-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I am eager and happy to answer any questions that you or anyone else on this site may have about my candidacy. I will answer them in this forum, email, in person, or by phone.

My contact info:

916-289-9018
rick_redding1@yahoo.com

Good to hear and welcome to CGN.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-22-2010, 11:08 PM
Good to hear and welcome to CGN.

Thank you! Glad to be here.

Lone_Gunman
03-22-2010, 11:17 PM
I see you say you are a 2A supporter. Good. Will you tell me your views on the following-
CCW
AB962
The Assault Weapons Ban
The 10 day "cooling off period" when buying a firearm
The "high capacity" magazine ban
The safe handgun roster
Anything else you think I should know about you.

Please understand that we are wary of politicans round here as we gunnys have been screwed many times by both the (D)s and the (R)s.

A little advice- if you want the gunny vote give us specifics, in a statement, prefferably on your campaign website, where everyone can read it.

WarEagle
03-22-2010, 11:32 PM
Welcome Rick. I appreciate you taking the time to post here and I look forward to hearing your responses to the questions already asked.

Speaking only for myself, I'm tired of candidates who say they support the 2nd Amendment but then proceed to say they support common sense gun laws, the assault weapon ban, the safe handgun roster and ammo registration. I'm waiting for a straight-shootin' (pun intended) candidate who's not afraid to admit these types of feel good legislation do nothing to thwart crime and only restrict us law-abiding citizens.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-26-2010, 11:27 PM
I see you say you are a 2A supporter. Good. Will you tell me your views on the following-
CCW
AB962
The Assault Weapons Ban
The 10 day "cooling off period" when buying a firearm
The "high capacity" magazine ban
The safe handgun roster
Anything else you think I should know about you.

Please understand that we are wary of politicans round here as we gunnys have been screwed many times by both the (D)s and the (R)s.

A little advice- if you want the gunny vote give us specifics, in a statement, prefferably on your campaign website, where everyone can read it.

Pro CCW
ANTI AB962
ANTI The Assault Weapons Ban
Pro The 10 day "cooling off period" when buying a firearm unless a more suitable method can be utilized to conduct background checks for felony convictions, etc...
ANTI The "high capacity" magazine ban
ANTI The safe handgun roster
Anything else you think I should know about you? Former US Marine and Desert Storm veteran. Avid gun collector, owner, and pro 2nd amendment.

obeygiant
03-26-2010, 11:31 PM
Pro CCW
ANTI AB962
ANTI The Assault Weapons Ban
Pro The 10 day "cooling off period" when buying a firearm unless a more suitable method can be utilized to conduct background checks for felony convictions, etc...
ANTI The "high capacity" magazine ban
ANTI The safe handgun roster
Anything else you think I should know about you? Former US Marine and Desert Storm veteran. Avid gun collector, owner, and pro 2nd amendment.

that's about the best post that i've seen from any candidate that has posted here.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-26-2010, 11:37 PM
I'm waiting for a straight-shootin' (pun intended) candidate who's not afraid to admit these types of feel good legislation do nothing to thwart crime and only restrict us law-abiding citizens.

Here I am!

Fact: The years in which the Brady Bill was in effect, gun crimes and homicides actually went up in the United States.

Anti gun legislation does not work and it has a punitive effect on the average law abiding citizen.

deldgeetar
03-26-2010, 11:40 PM
Rick, I enjoy your point of view but require specifics. Why do you feel a 10 day cooling off period is necessary when most of the rest of the country utilizes the instant check system that takes minutes?

Also, you say you are "Pro CCW." Does this mean you will support Shall-Issue policies in CA?

unusedusername
03-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Do you have a website laying out a general roadmap of your views?

jmzhwells
03-26-2010, 11:43 PM
What about an instant check especially for people that already own guns. no need to cool off for 10 days if you already have one.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-26-2010, 11:49 PM
Rick, I enjoy your point of view but require specifics. Why do you feel a 10 day cooling off period is necessary when most of the rest of the country utilizes the instant check system that takes minutes?

Also, you say you are "Pro CCW." Does this mean you will support Shall-Issue policies in CA?

If an instant check system is available, I believe we should use it. My only concern regarding purchasing firearms is that convicted felons are not allowed to purchase or own them. I am all for expediting the process as long as there is 100% success in said felons not having access to ownership or purchase.

Yes, I support "shall issue" policies in CA.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-26-2010, 11:50 PM
Do you have a website laying out a general roadmap of your views?

www.VoteForRick.org

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-26-2010, 11:52 PM
What about an instant check especially for people that already own guns. no need to cool off for 10 days if you already have one.

Not sure where you are going here?

POLICESTATE
03-26-2010, 11:54 PM
I'm just going to get this over with before someone else does

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/d/images/district-9-poster-1.jpg

OMG, I am laughing so hard I might actually lose control of my bodily functions, Sacramento part of District 9??? I need to run to the bathroom as fast as I possibly ----

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-26-2010, 11:56 PM
OMG, I am laughing so hard I might actually lose control of my bodily functions, Sacramento part of District 9??? I need to run to the bathroom as fast as I possibly ----

LOL! Yes, district 9 is in the heart of Sacramento.

jmzhwells
03-26-2010, 11:58 PM

The cool off period is to make sure someone who is pissed off doesnt go buy a gun and kill the pisser offer. I think if you already own a gun why do you need to "cool down", if u already have the capabilities to kill someone, why would you spend extra money on a new gun and wait ten days just to kill the person you are mad at. Just use the gun you already own, no need to wait for a new one.

wildhawker
03-27-2010, 12:02 AM

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

I believe that the member is saying that there's no rational basis to deny one's 2A rights in light of the presentation of an already-possessed firearm (or proof of ownership, such as a DROS). In the case of "crimes of passion", it's silly to think they'll wait 10 days when someone already owns a firearm which could be used in the commission of a crime (which, I'll add, makes up such a small number of crimes as to be statistically irrelevant).

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-27-2010, 12:04 AM
The cool off period is to make sure someone who is pissed off doesnt go buy a gun and kill the pisser offer. I think if you already own a gun why do you need to "cool down", if u already have the capabilities to kill someone, why would you spend extra money on a new gun and wait ten days just to kill the person you are mad at. Just use the gun you already own, no need to wait for a new one.

I understand what a cooling off period is. I wasn't sure where you were going on the second part of your statement.

The phrase, "cool off" period is not so much a cooling off period as it is a means of running a background check for prior felony convictions. Again, if an instant means of running a background check exists and there is 100% success in not selling firearms to a felon, I am all for it.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-27-2010, 12:07 AM
http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics.htm

I believe that the member is saying that there's no rational basis to deny one's 2A rights in light of the presentation of an already-possessed firearm (or proof of ownership, such as a DROS). In the case of "crimes of passion", it's silly to think they'll wait 10 days when someone already owns a firearm which could be used in the commission of a crime (which, I'll add, makes up such a small number of crimes as to be statistically irrelevant).

I believe I have answered this question. Again, my rationale is that I DO NOT want convicted felons having access to firearms. If it takes 10 days to run a background check or 5 minutes, so be it.

wildhawker
03-27-2010, 12:12 AM
I believe I have answered this question. Again, my rationale is that I DO NOT want convicted felons having access to firearms. If it takes 10 days to run a background check or 5 minutes, so be it.

I think we're in agreement here; you implied that you weren't entirely aware of what options currently exist (and which are successfully used by other states), so I wanted to assist you in your search for more information on the topic. Hopefully you'll take it under advisement and incorporate it into your platform accordingly.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-27-2010, 12:15 AM
I think we're in agreement here; you implied that you weren't entirely aware of what options currently exist (and which are successfully used by other states), so I wanted to assist you in your search for more information on the topic. Hopefully you'll take it under advisement and incorporate it into your platform accordingly.

Thank you for the information.

jmzhwells
03-27-2010, 12:21 AM
Good luck, im always for someone that is willing to learn our rights and respect them.

dustoff31
03-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Thank you for the information.

Another important point to keep in mind concerning the NICS program, is that it costs the state, the gun dealer, nor the buyer anything. It's funded by the FBI.

An entire section of workers at CA DOJ would be released to attend to more pressing matters, or eliminated.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Good luck, im always for someone that is willing to learn our rights and support them.

Fixed :)

jdberger
03-27-2010, 12:24 AM
So far, so good.

welcome to the new media.

:)

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
03-27-2010, 12:29 AM
So far, so good.

welcome to the new media.

:)

Thank you, LOL

Lone_Gunman
03-27-2010, 8:22 AM
Thanks for the response. It's good to see a pro 2A candidate.

AJAX22
03-27-2010, 8:38 AM
What legislation will you introduce to remedy the current infringements?

Which individuals in the pro 2a movement do you consult for advice on what needs to be addressed and in what order?

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 9:57 AM
Bump

Deadred7o7
04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Rick can you please move to the 1st District. :laugh:

vantec08
04-06-2010, 11:12 AM
100% guarantee felons wont slip thru a background or insta-check? well now rick - - - how about a 100% guarantee from YOU that Ca DOJ wont erroneously or needlessly hinder an in-state gun sale over some bureaucratic or interpretational snafu, and the offending bureaucrat will be held accountable?

BigDogatPlay
04-06-2010, 11:42 AM
NICS has been proven to be an effective tool in prevention of prohibited persons from receiving firearms from an FFL... nationwide. It's instant, relatively non-infringing (hat tip to the folks who believe any such step is an infringement), and costs the state next to nothing.

That, in comparison to the cumbersome California DROS system and processing with it's attendant state employee overhead seems to make the case very clear that California follow the rest of the nation.

Will Mr. Redding make a written pledge to introduce, or to co-sponsor, bills to reform and eliminate the redundant parts of DROS, move California fully into NICS and to eliminate the redundant CaDOJ headcount in these budget tight times? And will Mr. Redding make a written pledge to fight responsibly and strongly for the things he firearms law reforms he says he stands for?

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 5:36 PM
100% guarantee felons wont slip thru a background or insta-check? well now rick - - - how about a 100% guarantee from YOU that Ca DOJ wont erroneously or needlessly hinder an in-state gun sale over some bureaucratic or interpretational snafu, and the offending bureaucrat will be held accountable?

As an assembly member I will work to ensure that Californians will be able to purchase firearms w/ in our state that is expeditious as possible w/ out compromising safety. I will not, however, make any attempt to relax the process from a standpoint of where felons and violent offenders can slip through the cracks and have an opportunity to purchase a firearm so as to expedite the purchase process.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 5:41 PM
NICS has been proven to be an effective tool in prevention of prohibited persons from receiving firearms from an FFL... nationwide. It's instant, relatively non-infringing (hat tip to the folks who believe any such step is an infringement), and costs the state next to nothing.

That, in comparison to the cumbersome California DROS system and processing with it's attendant state employee overhead seems to make the case very clear that California follow the rest of the nation.

Will Mr. Redding make a written pledge to introduce, or to co-sponsor, bills to reform and eliminate the redundant parts of DROS, move California fully into NICS and to eliminate the redundant CaDOJ headcount in these budget tight times? And will Mr. Redding make a written pledge to fight responsibly and strongly for the things he firearms law reforms he says he stands for?

Thank you for the question(s). In all honesty, I will need to research these matters as I am not 100% up to speed on the questions that you ask. Please allow me a week to research your questions and formulate a response. I do not want to try to answer a question that I am not fully informed with.

CavTrooper
04-06-2010, 5:46 PM
You lost me at...

Pro The 10 day "cooling off period".

FS00008
04-06-2010, 5:50 PM
You lost me at...

It appears as if he was unaware of the FBI NICS insta-check which was his only reason for "pro-10 day cooling off period".

Also, @Rick Redding, the FBI NICS check is generally more comprehensive than the state DROS system. Not to mention that the FBI funds and runs it. So that's a few million (Billion?) in funds that could be freed up by eliminating the entire DROS system and attendant employees at the DOJ. Not to mention more environmentally friendly by saving paper :-D.

CavTrooper
04-06-2010, 5:53 PM
and it just gets worse from there.

If an instant check system is available, I believe we should use it. My only concern regarding purchasing firearms is that convicted felons are not allowed to purchase or own them. I am all for expediting the process as long as there is 100% success in said felons not having access to ownership or purchase.

Yes, I support "shall issue" policies in CA.

I understand what a cooling off period is. I wasn't sure where you were going on the second part of your statement.

The phrase, "cool off" period is not so much a cooling off period as it is a means of running a background check for prior felony convictions. Again, if an instant means of running a background check exists and there is 100% success in not selling firearms to a felon, I am all for it.

As an assembly member I will work to ensure that Californians will be able to purchase firearms w/ in our state that is expeditious as possible w/ out compromising safety. I will not, however, make any attempt to relax the process from a standpoint of where felons and violent offenders can slip through the cracks and have an opportunity to purchase a firearm so as to expedite the purchase process.

Sir, how is it you can claim to be pro 2A when you are unawre that practically every state in the country uses some form of instant check system for firearms purchases?

On top of that, the "cooling off" period is not and was not created to make time to run the background checks, it is exactly that, a "cooling off" period created to detour "crimes of passion".

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 5:53 PM
You lost me at...

Sorry to hear that. So, I guess you will be voting for one of my liberal opponents that wants to completely take away our rights to own a firearm?

I am/was pro 10 day waiting period as a means of keeping guns out of the hands of felons and violent offenders. During my time on calguns, I have been told that there are much faster and safe ways of facilitating this process. I am in favor of expediting the process just as long as safety and thoroughness is not compromised.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 5:57 PM
and it just gets worse from there.

Sir, how is it you can claim to be pro 2A when you are unawre that practically every state in the country uses some form of instant check system for firearms purchases?

On top of that, the "cooling off" period is not and was not created to make time to run the background checks, it is exactly that, a "cooling off" period created to detour "crimes of passion".

Being pro 2A encapsulates much more than a waiting period. C'mom.

For the second part of your question, my understanding is that it is both a cooling off period and a period in which a background check is conducted.

CavTrooper
04-06-2010, 5:58 PM
Sorry to hear that. So, I guess you will be voting for one of my liberal opponents that wants to completely take away our rights to own a firearm?

I am/was pro 10 day waiting period as a means of keeping guns out of the hands of felons and violent offenders. During my time on calguns, I have been told that there are much faster and safe ways of facilitating this process. I am in favor of expediting the process just as long as safety and thoroughness is not compromised.

Mr Redding,

Who is your choice for our next Governor?

FS00008
04-06-2010, 5:58 PM
@Rick Redding With computers, background checks have become instant. I assume you've spent most of your life as a California resident yes?

FS00008
04-06-2010, 5:59 PM
Also, same question as Cav Trooper.

CavTrooper
04-06-2010, 6:00 PM
Being pro 2A encapsulates much more than a waiting period. C'mom.

For the second part of your question, my understanding is that it is both a cooling off period and a period in which a background check is conducted.

Indeed it does sir.

What is your opinion on unlicenced "Vermont" or "Alaska" style carry?

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:00 PM
It appears as if he was unaware of the FBI NICS insta-check which was his only reason for "pro-10 day cooling off period".

Also, @Rick Redding, the FBI NICS check is generally more comprehensive than the state DROS system. Not to mention that the FBI funds and runs it. So that's a few million (Billion?) in funds that could be freed up by eliminating the entire DROS system and attendant employees at the DOJ. Not to mention more environmentally friendly by saving paper :-D.

I was unaware of the check. If they can do it much faster and it is still thorough, I am all for expediting the process.

As for the rest of the things you speak of, I will need to research them further.

Lastly, what is DROS?

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:01 PM
Mr Redding,

Who is your choice for our next Governor?

I have yet to decide. I have been extremely busy running my own campaign. I will let everyone know when I do make a decision.

CavTrooper
04-06-2010, 6:02 PM
Lastly, what is DROS?

Avid gun collector.

Sir,

an avid firearms collector should know what a DROS is, cmon.

When and what was your last firearms purchase?

FS00008
I was unaware of the check. If they can do it much faster and it is still thorough, I am all for expediting the process.

As for the rest of the things you speak of, I will need to research them further.

Lastly, what is DROS?

DROS is the California Dealer Record of Sale. It fulfills the exact same purpose as the FBI NICS and BATFE 4473 forms. It's a redundant and useless system that gives the state another way to waste money and piss off gun owners. In the free states, where I'm from (Georgia), buying a firearm takes 15 minutes and you don't generally wind up pissed off or broke at the end of the process.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
@Rick Redding With computers, background checks have become instant. I assume you've spent most of your life as a California resident yes?

Most of it, yes.

AJAX22
04-06-2010, 6:03 PM

Just to clarify,

You are willing to support/introduce legislation which repeals the 10 day 'cool off' waiting period providing that the standards of scruitiny are not compromised?

The current process simply uses the NCIS background check and is approved/denied/delayed in 30 seconds or so. In the event that it is delayed (typically because a name is close to that of someone who IS a felon etc) you have to go through the same appeals process.

The CA 'cool down' period has absolutly NOTHING to do with the background check... its computerized, automated and is over before you leave the store.

So, (providing that you verify this through your own sources) will you be introducing/supporting legislation to have the 'cool down period' eliminated?

It was already reduced from 15 days to 10 days when NCIS was automated... the only justification for keeping the 10 day wait was because they didn't want individuals to be able to purchase a gun without a wait in case they were 'hot headed' and would use it immediately....

C&R guns are already available without paperwork or background checks in CA, so the 'hot/cold' argument doesn't hold a lot of water.

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:03 PM
Also, same question again as CavTrooper.

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:04 PM
Most of it, yes.

Then you've never bought a gun in a free state. This state is ridiculous. I urge you to read Ajax22's explanation also.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:04 PM
[QUOTE=CavTrooper;4080970]Indeed it does sir.

What is your opinion on unlicenced "Vermont" or "Alaska" style carry?[/QUOTE)

I disagree.

I am not sure as to what Vermont and Alaska style carry laws entail.

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:06 PM
Vermont and Alaska require no permit of any kind for CCW. The 2A is their CCW.

AJAX22
DROS is the California Dealer Record of Sale. It fulfills the exact same purpose as the FBI NICS and BATFE 4473 forms. It's a redundant and useless system that gives the state another way to waste money and piss off gun owners. In the free states, where I'm from (Georgia), buying a firearm takes 15 minutes and you don't generally wind up pissed off or broke at the end of the process.

This is correct.

CA wastes a tremendous amount of man hours trying to regulate interstate commerce by duplicating the functions of the federal government.

The CA DROS system was outdated before it was implemented. and is completely redundant.

FS00008
And what do you disagree with?

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
Sir,

an avid firearms collector should know what a DROS is, cmon.

When and what was your last firearms purchase?

Would you rather I lied to you? Jeez.

The firearms I own (most) have been passed down from my father and grandfather.

The last purchase I made was in 1996 and it was in NC.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:07 PM

Thank you for the info.

AJAX22
04-06-2010, 6:08 PM
[QUOTE=CavTrooper;4080970]Indeed it does sir.

What is your opinion on unlicensed "Vermont" or "Alaska" style carry?[/QUOTE)

I disagree.

I am not sure as to what Vermont and Alaska style carry laws entail.

If you can legally posses a gun, you can legally cary it, loaded, concealed, open... whatever you want.

Alaska has the caveat that anyone who has a weapon concealed must immediately inform a law enforcement officer of the presence of the weapon.

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:09 PM
Oh in that case you've been introduced to the wonders of the free states. I assume you bought a firearm new in NC. Do you recall the ATF 4473 form you were required to fill out (Unless you bought it secondhand which in NC is legal to do a cash and carry purchase), the DROS duplicates that form and takes another $35 (Or more depending on the FFL) out of your wallet.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:12 PM
Fellas, thanks for all of the questions. I am trying to keep up as best I can. Please reference earlier posts w/in this thread as I believe I have answered many of your questions.

Also, many thanks to those of you that are taking the time to help educate me on many of the issues as opposed to ridiculing me.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:13 PM
[QUOTE=Rick Redding 4 Assembly;4080998]

If you can legally posses a gun, you can legally cary it, loaded, concealed, open... whatever you want.

Alaska has the caveat that anyone who has a weapon concealed must immediately inform a law enforcement officer of the presence of the weapon.

I like these ideas.

CavTrooper
04-06-2010, 6:13 PM
Would you rather I lied to you? Jeez.

The firearms I own (most) have been passed down from my father and grandfather.

The last purchase I made was in 1996 and it was in NC.

No sir, I appreciate your honesty.

Its important for us to know exactly who we are dealing with when someone claims to be a pro 2A and requests our support when running for office.

I personally would not support you, or your opponents, but I do thank you for your answers and wish you luck in our endeavors. Should you be elected, I hope you would do more to further the rights of the American people and work to eliminate the infringements we are currently suffering.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:14 PM
Oh in that case you've been introduced to the wonders of the free states. I assume you bought a firearm new in NC. Do you recall the ATF 4473 form you were required to fill out (Unless you bought it secondhand which in NC is legal to do a cash and carry purchase), the DROS duplicates that form and takes another $35 (Or more depending on the FFL) out of your wallet.

Honestly, I can't remember back that far. I do remember paying a fee, however.

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:16 PM
I don't know about a fee, maybe just a NC thing or something that particular FFL chose to do. If you bought a gun at an FFL, trust me, you filled out the 4473 form.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:17 PM
No sir, I appreciate your honesty.

Its important for us to know exactly who we are dealing with when someone claims to be a pro 2A and requests our support when running for office.

I personally would not support you, or your opponents, but I do thank you for your answers and wish you luck in our endeavors. Should you be elected, I hope you would do more to further the rights of the American people and work to eliminate the infringements we are currently suffering.

So, you are not going to vote at all?

Please understand that I am on your side. I seriously doubt that you will find any other candidate in the assembly that will be more 2A friendly than I.

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:18 PM
The reason (for me) that the DROS is particularly heinous is that I already have an extensive firearms collection, know that the NCIS system and 4473 system work, and that the state wastes money on this redundant system while at the same time tripling my fees for school and cutting classes. Does this begin to make sense in a fiscally responsible fashion? Not including any 2A issues.

AJAX22
04-06-2010, 6:18 PM
Fellas, thanks for all of the questions. I am trying to keep up as best I can. Please reference earlier posts w/in this thread as I believe I have answered many of your questions.

Also, many thanks to those of you that are taking the time to help educate me on many of the issues as opposed to ridiculing me.

No worries,

You've only dipped your toe into the murk that is CA firearms laws... before calguns no one actually knew what was legal/illegal... even today there is considerable debate as to what is legal/illegal...

Many things are now illegal thanks to miss wording and improper research by legislators who were trying to ban something else entirely....

CA firearms law is second only to CA tax code in ambiguity and lack of clarity.

There are a LOT of felons who purchased all of their possessions legally, and simply did not keep up on firearms laws.

there is actually a chance that you yourself may have committed a felony through ignorance of CA firearms law.. if you inherited a pistol from your father after 1991 in CA and did not fill out an inter familial transfer form... or if you did not fill out the 'personal handgun importation' form when you brought that pistol from NC to CA

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:20 PM
I don't know about a fee, maybe just a NC thing or something that particular FFL chose to do. If you bought a gun at an FFL, trust me, you filled out the 4473 form.

I am sure I did.

One of my opponents is in favor of re-enacting the Brady Bill. My understanding is that gun related homicides actually went up during the period it was in effect. Can you confirm this?

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:20 PM
Sir, I urge you to research the policies of our current AG Jerry Brown. While Meg Whitman on the surface may echo your views more closely, if you do any research, Jerry Brown is the only candidate who is in any way Fiscally Conservative or Pro 2A.

Jerry Brown is my choice for governor.

AJAX22
04-06-2010, 6:21 PM
Honestly, I can't remember back that far. I do remember paying a fee, however.

That was a processing fee for the NCIS (typically $5 or $10 in most states)... the 4473 was the federal form you had to fill out to buy the gun.

CA adds on fees and surcharges to make it $25 + a possible $10 in shop service fees.

even some CA residents don't fully understand it.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:21 PM
The reason (for me) that the DROS is particularly heinous is that I already have an extensive firearms collection, know that the NCIS system and 4473 system work, and that the state wastes money on this redundant system while at the same time tripling my fees for school and cutting classes. Does this begin to make sense in a fiscally responsible fashion? Not including any 2A issues.

It really does. Thank you.

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:22 PM
Do you mean the Federal AWB? It wouldn't really affect us in California. The other aspects of the Brady Bill are still alive and well. NCIS is one of them.

Also, the Federal AWB is never coming back. Too much animosity after the healthcare issue.

Doheny
04-06-2010, 6:22 PM
Hi Rick,

Under your website makes no mention of supporting gun rights; I looked under "issues"; is it somewhere else?

Good luck to you. How long until you push a shall issue bill? :)

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:23 PM
No worries,

You've only dipped your toe into the murk that is CA firearms laws... before calguns no one actually knew what was legal/illegal... even today there is considerable debate as to what is legal/illegal...

Many things are now illegal thanks to miss wording and improper research by legislators who were trying to ban something else entirely....

There are a LOT of felons who purchased all of their possessions legally, and simply did not keep up on firearms laws.

there is actually a chance that you yourself may have committed a felony through ignorance of CA firearms law.. if you inherited a pistol from your father after 1991 in CA and did not fill out an inter familial transfer form... or if you did not fill out the 'personal handgun importation' form when you brought that pistol from NC to CA

Wow!

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:23 PM
That was a processing fee for the NCIS (typically $5 or $10 in most states)... the 4473 was the federal form you had to fill out to buy the gun.

CA adds on fees and surcharges to make it $25 + a possible $10 in shop service fees.

even some CA residents don't fully understand it.

Really? I never paid NCIS fees in Georgia. Ajax, you're forgetting all the "convenience" fees that many FFLs tack on to drive the cost of a DROS to usually around $50.

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:25 PM
Wow!

Ajax, if he moved prior to 1998 he wasn't required to fill out that form was he? I am pretty sure the cutoff was 1998. And anyways, if it was more than 1 year ago the statute of limitations has expired, so don't worry.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:25 PM
Hi Rick,

How long until you push a shall issue bill? :)

Actually, a gentleman that is running for county sheriff and I are discussing this very topic next week.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:26 PM
Sir, I urge you to research the policies of our current AG Jerry Brown. While Meg Whitman on the surface may echo your views more closely, if you do any research, Jerry Brown is the only candidate who is in any way Fiscally Conservative or Pro 2A.

Jerry Brown is my choice for governor.

Really? I will look into this. Thanks for heads up.

FS00008
04-06-2010, 6:29 PM
You're welcome. I know most people hate JB due to his prior policies, but I just need to point out the job he's done as AG (Reducing the size of the BOF for instance) and his amicus brief to the Supreme Court in McDonald to show his pro-2A tendencies. His fiscally conservative policies are echoed in how he runs the DOJ and has lowered the size of it in recent years. I don't think I need to point out how crappy ebay is nowadays to highlight just how "Great" Meg Whitman is...

FS00008
Or how she is already resorting to attack ads.

Doheny
Actually, a gentleman that is running for county sheriff and I are discussing this very topic next week.

Thanks for answering that part of my question, but you removed from the quote my question why your website does not mention anything about supporting gun rights.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:30 PM
Gentlemen, thanks for taking the time to chat this evening. I appreciate all of you taking the time to educate me on 2A issues. I will look into some of the things some of you have asked me to and report back in a week. I will also continue to return here regularly and check in.

Thanks so much.

Rick

AMDG
04-06-2010, 6:38 PM
We are legion, Mr. Redding. If your position on these issues are in line with ours and you pledge to do something about them, Calgunners can help.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 6:43 PM
We are legion, Mr. Redding. If your position on these issues are in line with ours and you pledge to do something about them, Calgunners can help.

I believe I am. I could really use any help you guys are willing to provide.

Shotgun Man
04-06-2010, 6:58 PM
Good luck with your campaign. I went to your website.

Your home page features a prominent Paypal Donate icon. When you click on that, you get an error message saying something about the email address is invalid.

When you click on donations, there is no link to paypal.

Under about "About Rick" you say:

Rick is married to the former, Jill Tammi.

At the very least, delete the comma preceding Jill. Actually, this sentence is awkwardly worded. Consider changing it to something like, "Rick is married to his lovely wife Jill, daughter of former Placerville mayor, Bonnie Tammi."

There are numerous textual errors on your website.

E.g.:

4. Health Education. As children, we were told that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. With that said, we need to a better job of taking care of ourselves. We need to reinstitute comprehensive health and physical education classes at all levels that emphasize the importance of exercise, eating healthy, and reducing stress.

It should read "We need to do to a better job..." The serial comma after "eating healthy" is generally to be avoided.

There is no free lunch in a state-run/universal health care system, either

In this sentence, the slash is confusing. It reads easier as "There is no free lunch in a state-run universal health care system, either."

These are some examples that I mention not to be a smart-*** but to gently suggest that irregularities in punctuation, grammar and usage might interfere with your message and reduce your credibility.

Good luck.

ETA: I used to be an editor of sorts. PM me if you'd like me to offer you further advice in this regard.

Low-Pressure
04-06-2010, 7:05 PM
Sir, I wish you luck!

vantec08
04-06-2010, 7:18 PM
that wasnt what I asked. Dont hear you loud and clear.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 7:22 PM
that wasnt what I asked. Dont hear you loud and clear.

I'm sorry, sir. What are you asking?

dunndeal
04-06-2010, 7:29 PM
Sir, When and what was your last firearms purchase?

FAIL!!! If I could make it in gigantic print, I would. TOTAL fail,,, it matters not how many, if any, firearms he owns nor when he bought them. Firearms ownership is not required to support the BOR. The candidate can easily be briefed about the bureaucratic nightmare that confronts firearms purchasers,,, what really matters is where he stands in principal about the 2nd A.

Ever heard the expression "picking the fly ***** out of the pepper box"?

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 7:38 PM
Good luck with your campaign. I went to your website.

Your home page features a prominent Paypal Donate icon. When you click on that, you get an error message saying something about the email address is invalid.

When you click on donations, there is no link to paypal.

Under about "About Rick" you say:

At the very least, delete the comma preceding Jill. Actually, this sentence is awkwardly worded. Consider changing it to something like, "Rick is married to his lovely wife Jill, daughter of former Placerville mayor, Bonnie Tammi."

There are numerous textual errors on your website.

E.g.:

It should read "We need to do to a better job..." The serial comma after "eating healthy" is generally to be avoided.

In this sentence, the slash is confusing. It reads easier as "There is no free lunch in a state-run universal health care system, either."

These are some examples that I mention not to be a smart-*** but to gently suggest that irregularities in punctuation, grammar and usage might interfere with your message and reduce your credibility.

Good luck.

ETA: I used to be an editor of sorts. PM me if you'd like me to offer you further advice in this regard.

Thank you for the heads up. I will take a look at it again.

I am having some trouble w/ the PAYPAL link. That will be fixed in the next few days. However, if you are interested in donating to my campaign you may do so via snail mail. To send a check or money order:

Committee to Elect Rick Redding for California Assembly 2010
Candidate ID# 1325325
4817 Ortega st.
Sacramento, CA

916-289-9018

All information can be verified through the Secretary of States office or the FPPC.

Thank you,

Rick

wikidklown
04-06-2010, 7:42 PM

Wow, that will do!

anthonyca
04-06-2010, 7:45 PM
No worries,

Great post! I love when people say every felon is a horrible violent criminal who preys on the weak, is a child molester, or something similar. Almost every older gun owner I know, (over 40) who is not a calgunner is a felon. You hit so many of them in your post.

An older friend was talking about turkey hunting and how many people are using tacticool pistol gripped semi autos and they would be nice for old guys sitting down and getting to shoot twice. He thought I was crazy when I told him that is an assault weapon in cali. Another guy drives around with a loaded 22 rifle in his truck, he lives in a school zone. He thinks I am crazy because I called him a federal felon.

anthonyca
04-06-2010, 7:46 PM
Thank you for the heads up. I will take a look at it again.

I am having some trouble w/ the PAYPAL link. That will be fixed in the next few days. However, if you are interested in donating to my campaign you may do so via snail mail. To send a check or money order:

Committee to Elect Rick Redding for California Assembly 2010
Candidate ID# 1325325
4817 Ortega st.
Sacramento, CA

916-289-9018

All information can be verified through the Secretary of States office or the FPPC.

Thank you,

Rick

Skidmark
04-06-2010, 7:47 PM
www.VoteForRick.org

Seriously, dude, your website needs some work. All the links point back to the same page, and there are typos in the text. If you want to be taken as a serious and viable candidate, you'll clean up that site. And offer explanatory text to back up many the "new ideas" claims.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 7:49 PM
what really matters is where he stands in principal about the 2nd A.

Gentlemen, I hope I am conveying to all of you how important the 2A is to me not only from a perspective as a citizen but also from a perspective of that I will fight hard in the assembly to end the legislative entanglements that prevent us from fully exercising 2A rights. While I admit that I am not as well versed as most of you are in regards to the 2A, I will pledge to all of you that I will continue to frequent calguns.net and further my knowledge of our precious 2A rights.

I will also promise that if I am fortunate enough to be elected that I will hold monthly 2A town hall meetings in and out of my district as a means of providing all of you an opportunity to share your concerns and offer advice. I will also invite other community and state leaders that are willing to listen to attend these meetings.

I want all of you to know that I hear you and I am with you.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to converse w/ you.

Rick

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 7:51 PM

Does such a thing exist?

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 7:54 PM
Seriously, dude, your website needs some work. All the links point back to the same page, and there are typos in the text. If you want to be taken as a serious and viable candidate, you'll clean up that site. And offer explanatory text to back up many the "new ideas" claims.

How does my site need work? Exactly where are the typos you speak of?

The links work fine on my PC. Moreover, nobody else has mentioned this as a problem.

In terms of explanatory text you should know that every political consultant that I have spoken w/ says "less is more." I thought the same thing, however, they are telling me that I have far too much as it is.

CavTrooper
04-06-2010, 8:04 PM
FAIL!!! If I could make it in gigantic print, I would. TOTAL fail,,, it matters not how many, if any, firearms he owns nor when he bought them. Firearms ownership is not required to support the BOR. The candidate can easily be briefed about the bureaucratic nightmare that confronts firearms purchasers,,, what really matters is where he stands in principal about the 2nd A.

Ever heard the expression "picking the fly ***** out of the pepper box"?

I think you may have failed in understanding the reason and the context of the question.

Either way, if you arent observant enough to see the inconstancies and ask questions, then you deserve whatever representation you get.

Good luck.

Skidmark
04-06-2010, 8:04 PM
How does my site need work? Exactly where are the typos you speak of?

The links work fine on my PC. Moreover, nobody else has mentioned this as a problem.

In terms of explanatory text you should know that every political consultant that I have spoken w/ says "less is more." I thought the same thing, however, they are telling me that I have far too much as it is.

Glad to help. Your URL redirects to http://www.wix.com/rick_redding1/Rick-Redding-For-District-9

I see the text,

"Right now, we can find ground. Right now

is the time for new and innovative ideas. Right

now it is time for ne leadership. Right now is our future."

I think you mean "find common ground" and probably meant "time for new leadership"

Further, each link (home, donate, volunteer, etc.) all show the same URL as pasted above.

And it ends with "Call Us -1800-00-00-00"... WTF?

AJAX22
04-06-2010, 8:09 PM
Don't take the criticism personally, if these guys were not at least a little interested in your success they wouldn't bother commenting.

I'd venture that some of your harsher critics in this thread are just trying to push buttons to test your mettle.

Calguns has a LOT of influence in the 2a community.

I have an idea for a possible "trial by fire" that may lock in support for you, bur I need to talk it over with a ffl first.

You reached out to us, that's significant. We don't take it lightly

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 8:09 PM
Glad to help. Your URL redirects to http://www.wix.com/rick_redding1/Rick-Redding-For-District-9

I see the text,

I think you mean "find common ground" and probably meant "time for new leadership"

Further, each link (home, donate, volunteer, etc.) all show the same URL as pasted above.

Something is wrong w/ your PC. Mine does not show that at all.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 8:10 PM
Don't take the criticism personally, if these guys were not at least a little interested in your success they wouldn't bother commenting.

I'd venture that some of your harsher critics in this thread are just trying to push buttons to test your mettle.

Calguns has a LOT of influence in the 2a community.

I have an idea for a possible "trial by fire" that may lock in support for you, bur I need to talk it over with a ffl first.

You reached out to us, that's significant. We don't take it lightly

Thank you, sir.

obeygiant
04-06-2010, 8:39 PM

I see the text,

I'm seeing the odd 800 number as well.

obeygiant
04-06-2010, 8:43 PM
Does such a thing exist?

Sure does, created and founded by one of our own. You can find it here (https://www.gunpal.com/)

BigDogatPlay
04-06-2010, 9:13 PM
Originally Posted by BigDogatPlay

Thank you for the question(s). In all honesty, I will need to research these matters as I am not 100% up to speed on the questions that you ask. Please allow me a week to research your questions and formulate a response. I do not want to try to answer a question that I am not fully informed with.

Thank you Mr. Redding for an honest response. It is a thinking man who is, in the thick of a political Q&A when confronted with something on which he has not cemented his position, willing to take a step back and learn more rather than move blindly forward with less than a full sheaf of intel. Thinking men are what this state needs in the Legislature as opposed to the agenda driven yayhoos that have created so many of our problems.

I'll look forward to your considered reply.

Skidmark
04-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Something is wrong w/ your PC. Mine does not show that at all.

Turns out it was script wanting to be run from wix.com, when I temporarily allowed it, I saw the page as you must be seeing it.

Moving on, what's your position on delivery of Northern California water to the south part of the state? And are you in favor of continued homes being built in the floodplains around Sacramento?

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-06-2010, 10:29 PM
Moving on, what's your position on delivery of Northern California water to the south part of the state? And are you in favor of continued homes being built in the floodplains around Sacramento?

Here is a thread on water via calguns.net

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=4027578

gravedigger
04-06-2010, 10:46 PM
I am all for expediting the process as long as there is 100% success in said felons not having access to ownership or purchase.

Hello Rick, FYI, there is nothing like a "100% success" in either the instant check process OR the 10-day waiting period. Also, it is not possible to prevent a felon from owning, or purchasing a handgun.

Though it may be possible to minimize the chances of a legal purchase slipping through the cracks, it is unrealistic to strive for the conditions I have highlighted in your statement above. You should know this. Your answer bothers me just a bit.

I'd like to believe that you fully understand the goals of lawful gun owners, but it seems that you have a few things wrong.

For instance, my Glocks are DESIGNED to hold a 15 round magazine. The libs have forced a 10-round capacity limit on us and deemed the 15-round magazines as "high capacity." They are NOT "high capacity" magazines. They are the standard capacity magazines manufactured for my pistols, which I am forbidden to purchase due to the 'feel good' measures enacted by the 'Left' after the San Ysidro McDonalds Massacre.

When someone already owns a gun, it is nothing short of ridiculous to require that person to wait ten days to purchase another one based on a "cooling off period." If the purchaser doesn't have a cool head, he will use the gun he already owns to commit a crime.

I will look further into your stand on issues that concern me, but you don't get a free pass yet. Not from me, anyway.

Nice to see you on CalGuns. I hope you visit often, READ the threads, and learn. It would be nice to have a politician who is TRULY on our side.

gravedigger
04-07-2010, 12:54 AM
And to this, I am compelled to respond.

Gentlemen, I hope I am conveying to all of you how important the 2A is to me not only from a perspective as a citizen but also from a perspective of that I will fight hard in the assembly to end the legislative entanglements that prevent us from fully exercising 2A rights.

Running for ANY Assembly seat is one thing. Running for one in California is quite another. As you should know, "As California, goes, so goes the rest of the country." I'm all for your pursuit of an assembly seat, but after reading through this thread, I am not certain that you are as 'up' on the 2nd Amendment and private gun ownership, and the true meaning of "shall not be infringed" as you claim.

Speaking only for myself, there are MANY gun-related issues affecting me as a California gun owner. For instance, the open carry vs. concealed carry debate. I am for ANY-CARRY. If I, as an honest law-abiding citizen, can be trusted with a firearm on my person for the purpose of self-defense, it shouldn't matter how I decide to carry on any given day, or in any given situation.

To be restricted to one or the other doesn't really help. If I open carry and find myself in a rainstorm, I will grab a coat, covering the weapon and then be in violation of the open carry laws. If I have a CCW and I carry into a store, and I reach for that box of corn flakes on the top shelf thereby exposing my weapon as my shirt rides up, I will be in violation of the conditions of a CCW permit. A Jerry Springer marathon indoctrinated jury would lock me up for 'terrorizing' the customers by "brandishing" my gun.

Then there is the issue of the incredibly stupid "school zone" law. I cannot legally open carry or concealed carry within 1,000 feet of a school zone. Somehow the authors of this nightmare-ish law seem to feel that I can sense a disturbance in the force, should I cross over some imaginary unmarked line into the 1,000 foot invisible force field surrounding each and every school. By the way, the libs have done a wonderful job of deliberately placing a "school" damned near every 2,000 feet around any populated area, making it nearly impossible to comply with the law.

The open carry movement has run into over-zealous cops who walk along with open carry folks, all friendly like, smiles and joking as if they're one of us, until the moment we step over what the cops have decided is 'the line.' We are then immediately arrested for violating 626.9. IT HAS HAPPENED. It is a complete crock!

No, simply being enthused about guns as you seem to be, is not enough to overcome the massive anti-gun agenda of the California elected officials, and the very leftist 9th circuit court decisions that always put a smile on Hugo Chavez's face.

While I admit that I am not as well versed as most of you are in regards to the 2A, I will pledge to all of you that I will continue to frequent calguns.net and further my knowledge of our precious 2A rights.

I hope you do.

I will also promise that if I am fortunate enough to be elected that I will hold monthly 2A town hall meetings in and out of my district as a means of providing all of you an opportunity to share your concerns and offer advice. I will also invite other community and state leaders that are willing to listen to attend these meetings.

See ... again ... as an Assemblyman, especially in California, you cannot run on a single issue. What will you say to the gays, the minorities, the illegals, the welfare recipients, the unions ... will you hold monthly town hall meetings "in and out of your district" to address their concerns as well? Really? You'll have that much free time, and that kind of budget? I'm sorry, but I see this as nothing more than the first promise you cannot possibly keep.

I want all of you to know that I hear you and I am with you.

I wish you luck Rick. I am just wondering if I will find similar "vote for me!" posts on other forums where the members have different concerns, like water rights, taxes, the inheritance tax, MADD, and others.

Years ago, I studied ASL. (American Sign Language.) I took four classes. I was an 'A' student! I met, dated and became engaged to a Deaf woman. I thought that I could simply show up at Deaf community meetings and 'crash' their events, and be received like 'Norm' when he entered Cheers. What I discovered is that the Deaf community, even knowing that I was basically conversationally adept in ASL, and I had a Deaf fiancee, still viewed me as an outsider, because I wasn't Deaf. One doesn't decide to become a member of a closely knit community. The decision is not his or hers to make.

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-07-2010, 6:47 AM
For instance, my Glocks are DESIGNED to hold a 15 round magazine. The libs have forced a 10-round capacity limit on us and deemed the 15-round magazines as "high capacity." They are NOT "high capacity" magazines. They are the standard capacity magazines manufactured for my pistols, which I am forbidden to purchase due to the 'feel good' measures enacted by the 'Left' after the San Ysidro McDonalds Massacre.

When someone already owns a gun, it is nothing short of ridiculous to require that person to wait ten days to purchase another one based on a "cooling off period." If the purchaser doesn't have a cool head, he will use the gun he already owns to commit a crime.

I agree 100%

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-07-2010, 7:03 AM
And to this, I am compelled to respond.

Running for ANY Assembly seat is one thing. Running for one in California is quite another. As you should know, "As California, goes, so goes the rest of the country." [COLOR=Black]I'm all for your pursuit of an assembly seat, but after reading through this thread, I am not certain that you are as 'up' on the 2nd Amendment and private gun ownership, and the true meaning of "shall not be infringed" as you claim.

Speaking only for myself, there are MANY gun-related issues affecting me as a California gun owner. For instance, the open carry vs. concealed carry debate. I am for ANY-CARRY. If I, as an honest law-abiding citizen, can be trusted with a firearm on my person for the purpose of self-defense, it shouldn't matter how I decide to carry on any given day, or in any given situation.

To be restricted to one or the other doesn't really help. If I open carry and find myself in a rainstorm, I will grab a coat, covering the weapon and then be in violation of the open carry laws. If I have a CCW and I carry into a store, and I reach for that box of corn flakes on the top shelf thereby exposing my weapon as my shirt rides up, I will be in violation of the conditions of a CCW permit. A Jerry Springer marathon indoctrinated jury would lock me up for 'terrorizing' the customers by "brandishing" my gun.

Then there is the issue of the incredibly stupid "school zone" law. I cannot legally open carry or concealed carry within 1,000 feet of a school zone. Somehow the authors of this nightmare-ish law seem to feel that I can sense a disturbance in the force, should I cross over some imaginary unmarked line into the 1,000 foot invisible force field surrounding each and every school. By the way, the libs have done a wonderful job of deliberately placing a "school" damned near every 2,000 feet around any populated area, making it nearly impossible to comply with the law.

The open carry movement has run into over-zealous cops who walk along with open carry folks, all friendly like, smiles and joking as if they're one of us, until the moment we step over what the cops have decided is 'the line.' We are then immediately arrested for violating 626.9. IT HAS HAPPENED. It is a complete crock!

No, simply being enthused about guns as you seem to be, is not enough to overcome the massive anti-gun agenda of the California elected officials, and the very leftist 9th circuit court decisions that always put a smile on Hugo Chavez's face.

I hope you do.

See ... again ... as an Assemblyman, especially in California, you cannot run on a single issue. What will you say to the gays, the minorities, the illegals, the welfare recipients, the unions ... will you hold monthly town hall meetings "in and out of your district" to address their concerns as well? Really? You'll have that much free time, and that kind of budget? I'm sorry, but I see this as nothing more than the first promise you cannot possibly keep.

I wish you luck Rick. I am just wondering if I will find similar "vote for me!" posts on other forums where the members have different concerns, like water rights, taxes, the inheritance tax, MADD, and others.

Years ago, I studied ASL. (American Sign Language.) I took four classes. I was an 'A' student! I met, dated and became engaged to a Deaf woman. I thought that I could simply show up at Deaf community meetings and 'crash' their events, and be received like 'Norm' when he entered Cheers. What I discovered is that the Deaf community, even knowing that I was basically conversationally adept in ASL, and I had a Deaf fiancee, still viewed me as an outsider, because I wasn't Deaf. One doesn't decide to become a member of a closely knit community. The decision is not his or hers to make.

I am not a single issue voter. FWIW, I will hold several town hall style meetings as I feel it necessary to be successful in the assembly. Some elected officials attempt to govern as a trustee meaning they know what is best for their constituents. I prefer a delegate status where I listen to my constituents and vote their will.

You sound extremely negative and it appears you have been burned by people seeking office in the past. I can't change that, but I can tell you that I am genuine and I will work hard to preserve our 2A rights.

In spite of what you say and how negative you want to be, I will hold monthly 2A town hall meetings in and out of my district. I will also hold monthly town halls in my district regarding a many other issues. You see, I feel it is crucial to have a perpetual dialogue w/ my constituents. Simply winning an election and reappearing when its time to get re-elected is unacceptable to me. If I cannot interact w/ my constituents, I would rather not be elected.

6172crew
04-07-2010, 7:14 AM
Im not sure if you are already in contact with the www.nmcbn.com guys or not but Mark might be able to help pass the word around about the campaign.

I know he is trying to raise money for the network but I am a non-paying member that has helped at functions. You missed the last Marine B-day with us but there is always this year.

If you need or want marks number just ask. I dont want to post it here because its his private cell number but Im sure the former CAPT could help you even though he lives in Folsom.

Semper Fi
Chris

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-08-2010, 12:50 PM
A calguns member asked the following question in a PM. I have omitted the members name for their privacy. I will address the members question w/ in the text:

The problem with the above is that a "felony" is defined as any crime for which the sentence is one year or more.

I am more concerned w/ felonious crimes such as aggravated assault and/or battery, arson, burglary, illegal drug use/sales, grand theft, robbery, murder, and rape. I am not concerned about how much time the criminal receives for said offense, but the nature of the offense.

There are many such crimes on the books, and the vast majority of them are of absolutely no use in determining whether or not a given individual would pose a substantial hazard to society were he to gain possession of a firearm.

See above

But that aside, there is one compelling argument against prohibiting felons from possessing firearms that I think you'll find impossible to refute. And it's the same argument that is used against the other laws (both proposed and on the books) which govern the ownership and possession of firearms and ammunition. And that argument is, simply, that no law can substantially impede a person who is intent on committing a crime from obtaining a firearm and ammunition. The reason, of course, is simple: a criminal by definition does not obey the law. Since they don't obey the law, they act as "free agents" in a system where all the other actors abide by the rules, and that gives them a substantial advantage. One reason for the existence of the 2nd Amendment is to ensure that those who abide by the rules are given equal footing with those who don't with respect to the ability to defend life, liberty, and property.

I agree, however, it does not change the bottom line for me in the sense that I do not want the aforementioned slipping through the cracks and purchasing firearms. As I have said before, if there is a way to expedite firearm purchases without compromising safety I am all for it.

So why is prohibition of possession on the part of a convicted felon an issue? For several reasons.

The first, of course, is that, as was already pointed out to you, even the most law abiding citizen can inadvertently find themselves guilty of a felony if the circumstances go against them enough. Should such people be stripped of their right to bear arms? I'd say not. But for the grace of God (or whichever deity or deities you may or may not believe in), nearly all of us would be convicted felons.

Again, I am more concerned w/ the violent felon.

The second is that the only people who are going to follow such a prohibition are the ones who do not intend to commit a violent crime. Those who do not intend to commit a crime and who are in their right mind (which is the vast majority of people, felons or not) are precisely the people you want to be armed, because they are the ones you want to keep in society!

I agree, however, I do not believe that is the case all of the time.

Since a law prohibiting firearms possession on the part of convicted felons affects only that subset of convicted felons who are the ones the law is not really intended to target, it follows that such a law is entirely useless. It's much better to follow the 2nd Amendment exactly as it was written: the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Period.

I disagree.

haveyourmile
04-08-2010, 1:21 PM
Your website is painful to read.

From your about me
Rick is a U.S. Marine Corps veteran as well as a veteran of Operation Desert Storm/Shield. Rick is a public school educator and a high school football coach in Sacramento, California. Rick also serves as a council member with the Playmakers Organization that works to serve inner city youth and single mothers. Rick is also an outspoken advocate in veteran affairs in the greater Sacramento area.

"Rick is..." "Rick has..." "Rick does..."

It sounds like a small child wrote it

Rick Redding 4 Assembly
04-08-2010, 1:26 PM
Your website is painful to read.

From your about me

"Rick is..." "Rick has..." "Rick does..."

It sounds like a small child wrote it

As is your ridiculous attempt to berate me in a public forum. Get over yourself.

There is nothing on my site that is grammatically incorrect.

Since coming to calguns I have witnessed a lot of pissing and moaning that many of you do about your 2A rights. Then, after reaching out to you as a pro 2A candidate the best you can do is make condescending remarks about my website and find fault w/ every single little element of my stance on gun rights. Some of you are incredible. Either way, I came here looking for some support and the best I got was "your website sucks." If this is the level of support that calguns shows someone that is reaching out to them then I say good riddance to this place. I am done w/ this place and I have obviously wasted my time.

Sleep well knowing that you just pushed away a candidate that truly was interested in representing our rights.

KylaGWolf
04-08-2010, 1:34 PM

There is no such thing as 100% since most felons get their guns by illegal means anyways. That is one reason they are criminals since they don't want to follow the laws set out. I think the point is other states have an instant check and have no problems in catching those that should not be allowed to have guns in the first place. Why not sponsor bills that actually crack down on those that buy guns for those prohibited persons.

kcbrown
04-08-2010, 2:08 PM
As is your ridiculous attempt to berate me in a public forum. Get over yourself.

There is nothing on my site that is grammatically incorrect.

That may be the case (I have not examined it yet).

However, because your website is one of the primary "first impression" contact points, it's most certainly in your best interests to ensure that it is as clear, readable, and professional as possible.

Because I have not examined it yet, I cannot personally render an opinion about it. However, in light of the above, I believe it may be in your best interests to at least consider the comments others have made about it, even if you may disagree with their comments personally or find their comments somewhat uncivil.

Since coming to calguns I have witnessed a lot of pissing and moaning that many of you do about your 2A rights. Then, after reaching out to you as a pro 2A candidate the best you can do is make condescending remarks about my website and find fault w/ every single little element of my stance on gun rights. Some of you are incredible. Either way, I came here looking for some support and the best I got was "your website sucks." If this is the level of support that calguns shows someone that is reaching out to them then I say good riddance to this place. I am done w/ this place and I have obviously wasted my time.
I would hope that the above isn't the true impression you have gotten, because if it is I believe it to be largely mistaken.

One must have steel armor when engaging in conversation on the internet, because the somewhat impersonal nature of it tends to cause participants to often be a bit more brazen than they might be in a face to face conversation.

In that light, I urge you to not take any comments made here personally. Remember: the mark of someone who truly values the rights of others is their willingness to endure the actions of others that they don't personally like or approve of. With respect to speech, it includes enduring comments that they may find offensive or even insulting, at least in a public forum such as this one.

In any case, I'm sure I'm not the only one here who would be interested in conversing with you further about your views on the 2nd Amendment.

kcbrown
04-08-2010, 2:26 PM
A calguns member asked the following question in a PM. I have omitted the members name for their privacy. I will address the members question w/ in the text:

The problem with the above is that a "felony" is defined as any crime for which the sentence is one year or more.

I am more concerned w/ felonious crimes such as aggravated assault and/or battery, arson, burglary, illegal drug use/sales, grand theft, robbery, murder, and rape. I am not concerned about how much time the criminal receives for said offense, but the nature of the offense.

While I am in agreement with the spirit of your argument, I would argue that if you are sufficiently concerned about the safety of allowing such people access to dangerous tools such as firearms that you would permanently strip them of their right to keep and bear same, then you should probably reconsider the wisdom of letting such people back into society at all.

Which is to say: if such a person cannot be trusted with dangerous tools such as firearms (and a firearm is by no means the only such tool that such a person can acquire, legally or not), then they cannot be trusted to behave in society at all. Why, then, release them back into society at all?

The above implies that as a member of the assembly with the beliefs you describe, it would be your duty to introduce legislation to make all of the offenses that you are concerned about above punishable by life in prison without parole (the reason for not prescribing the death penalty is to deal with the possibility that an innocent person gets found guilty of such crimes, since death is irrevocable while life in prison isn't).

If you believe that life in prison without parole is too harsh a punishment for some of the crimes in question, then you should probably reconsider whether or not it is really the right thing to strip people found guilty of those crimes of their right to bear arms, since allowing such people to be members of our society while (because you believe they are too dangerous to be allowed such means) disallowing them the means to defend themselves should the need arise is an internally contradictory stance.

AbinSur
04-08-2010, 3:05 PM
You're trying and I give you that, but don't get defensive. Take it in stride...

Mstrty
04-08-2010, 4:49 PM
Rick,

As a Calgun's Member I feel the need to apologize for some of the uncalled for berating by anonymous members in this thread.
You have come on here and answered questions that are deeply passionate to those of us that frequent Calguns. Some of the members take an all or nothing approach and feel the need to chastise politician that dont agree with their views 100%. Living in California will for the foreseeable future be an uphill battle to regain rights given to us at birth that have been stripped away one progressive politician at a time. I appreciate your willingness to take time out of your day to express your views in hope to gain our vote.

You have my vote.

sepiid
04-08-2010, 5:33 PM
sorry, but an avid collector and owner? last purchase was 1996?
Rick, if you are still out there, when was the last time you went to a shooting range? have you ever tried to purchase a gun in CA?

would you be willing to go to a shoot n que?

and would you be willing to put 2A info in your positions section on your website?

a long time sacramento resident

FirstFlight
04-09-2010, 8:05 AM
Rick,

Hang in there and put your flack jacket on! By the way, we could sure use a pro gun Assembly person here in San Mateo County. I can't remember when there was one. Move down here and I will vote for you!