PDA

View Full Version : C&R transfer/shipping question

desmark6
03-20-2010, 1:34 AM
OK, I know that a shotgun that is 50 years old or older can be transferred FTF without an 01 FFL. My question is this, if I want to buy a shotgun that is more than 50 years old from a Calgunner in Socal, can it be shipped directly to my house in Norcal? Essentially it is still a person to person transfer but not sure if the shipping throws a monkey wrench into the transaction.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-20-2010, 2:45 AM
OK, I know that a shotgun that is 50 years old or older can be transferred FTF without an 01 FFL. My question is this, if I want to buy a shotgun that is more than 50 years old from a Calgunner in Socal, can it be shipped directly to my house in Norcal? Essentially it is still a person to person transfer but not sure if the shipping throws a monkey wrench into the transaction.

It's perfectly legal to transfer a 50+ year old C&R long gun between two California residents in California by shipping it. But very few Calgunners are willing to do it. Some are concerned that they don't really know to whom they are shipping the firearm, since it is easy to make a fake driver's license copy in Photoshop. Some worry about civil liability if they were sued for providing a firearm to a prohibited person who then used it to commit a crime. They fear that shipping a firearm to a stranger might look bad to a civil jury.

If the seller ships the firearm via UPS they should pay a few extra bucks for the Adult Signature Required service. That way, even if the buyer had sent you a fake ID photocopy, you would at least be sure that the firearm was signed for by an adult.

desmark6
03-20-2010, 7:41 AM
Well, thank you for the information. I didnt think it would be a problem but wasnt 100% sure, you just never know with this state since the laws dont always make sense!!!