PDA

View Full Version : Going coyote hunting with a friend, but had a Question

HkFan416
03-19-2010, 9:00 PM
Coming up within the next few days, I'm going to tag a long with my friend so he can bag a few coyotes. But I had a few questions.

I'm not going to be hunting at all since I don't have a hunting license, but I wanted to know if it was legal for me to take a side arm just in case we run into a few 4 legged predators. Thanks in advance guys.

Rule .308
03-19-2010, 9:05 PM
I would think not. Besides, what are you going to do with that sidearm in the event that you run into a four legged predator? Shoot it? Well, by definition, that would be poaching. If you want to be in the field, with a firearm, while hunting, you might want to get a license.

ChaparralCommando
03-19-2010, 11:17 PM
I you are engaged in hunting down animals you cannot have weapon as the code is written without a license. You shouldn't need one anyway for mountain lion self defense if you are remotely close to your buddy. Besides it is very unlikely for a predator to attack anyone other than a solo hiker.

HkFan416
03-20-2010, 1:01 PM
I you are engaged in hunting down animals you cannot have weapon as the code is written without a license. You shouldn't need one anyway for mountain lion self defense if you are remotely close to your buddy. Besides it is very unlikely for a predator to attack anyone other than a solo hiker.

Oh okay, I just thought it would have been legal since you can carry loaded in unincorporated areas that allow loaded firearms. Thanks for the info though, I'm a newb when it comes to this stuff lol.

DirtyDave
03-20-2010, 2:20 PM
You can carry a loaded firearm if you are going plinking or hiking, but if you are hunting or tagging along with a hunter then you cannot have a gun without a license. You will not be attacked by a coyote anyways, so you have nothing to worry about.
even if you dont shoot an animal you could probably be sighted for poaching cuz you have a gun and no license. they could probably get you even if you dont have a gun and your buddy has 2 guns, like a rifle and shotgun. (common for coyotes). They can justify 2 guys + 2 guns = 2 hunters, 1 without a license = Poacher.

Baxter
03-21-2010, 9:57 AM
You are hunting rattle snakes right? No license needed for that.

Blue
03-21-2010, 9:59 AM
You are hunting rattle snakes right? No license needed for that.

fishing license IIRC.

edlacy
03-21-2010, 2:44 PM
And you can't assist the hunter in any way.
Such as calling, carrying ammo, glassing with the binos, even carrying the caller could be considered as aiding the hunter.

pieeater
03-21-2010, 6:37 PM
Such as calling, carrying ammo, glassing with the binos, even carrying the caller could be considered as aiding the hunter.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

theseacow
03-21-2010, 9:17 PM

can you site the game code outlining the rules as to what constitutes "aiding the hunter"?

edlacy
03-21-2010, 9:48 PM
can you site the game code outlining the rules as to what constitutes "aiding the hunter"?

Subdivision 3 General Regulations
Chapter 3 Miscellaneous

700. Hunting and Fishing Licenses, Possession and Display Of.

(a) Display of Sport Fishing License: Every person, while engaged in taking any fish, amphibian or reptile, shall display their valid sport fishing license by attaching it to their outer clothing at or above the waistline so that it is plainly visible, except when diving as provided in Section 7145 of the Fish and Game Code.

(b) Possession of Hunting License: Every person, while engaged in taking any bird or mammal must have on their person or in their immediate possession a valid hunting license.

If you're aiding in any way such as carrying any equipment, including a firearm or ammo, looking for game, or helping in any way in the pursuit of a game animal, you are considered to be engaged in taking a game animal or bird.
This is what was told to me by a game warden in the Tehema Wildlife area.
If you believe me to be wrong, by all means go for it. I'm just passing on what was told to me by the warden.

professionalcoyotehunter
03-22-2010, 8:09 AM

You can call without a license as long as there is no weapon in his possession. You can carry a camera also to take pictures for us.:D

I take people a long with me all the time without a license and they help me spot and call and there has never been an issue as long as the person does not have a weapon in his immediate possession. How do you think photographers get pics. They must call them in and they dont need a license.

edlacy
03-22-2010, 8:52 AM
You can call without a license as long as there is no weapon in his possession. You can carry a camera also to take pictures for us.:D

I take people a long with me all the time without a license and they help me spot and call and there has never been an issue as long as the person does not have a weapon in his immediate possession. How do you think photographers get pics. They must call them in and they dont need a license.
That's true, they do call them in for a PICTURE. The ultimate end is the picture, not the killing of the coyote.
I'm glad you've not had a problem, just passing on what I was told by that warden.

professionalcoyotehunter
03-22-2010, 8:58 AM
No problem. I understand what you are saying but as a very young kid I would go with my father with no license and help him spot deer,coyote and dove and there were no issues as well. I dont see what the problem is as long as there is no weapon in the non-hunters possession.

Bearclaw
03-22-2010, 9:41 AM
No problem. I understand what you are saying but as a very young kid I would go with my father with no license and help him spot deer,coyote and dove and there were no issues as well. I dont see what the problem is as long as there is no weapon in the non-hunters possession.

I have to second that. What happens when you take an non-hunter with you duck hunting. There are a lot of refuges that allow up to two non-hunters per blind. Are they just supposed to sit there on their hands for 6 hours? I'm sure many of them get on the calls for a while...even though they are not the ones hunting.