PDA

View Full Version : Holo Sights vs. Scope

kpw001
03-19-2010, 9:15 PM
I'm starting to build an AR platform for hunting and a friend and I were talking optics. My original plans were to get a traditional scope but he raised the point of using holo sights.

I myself have never seen anyone with holo sights on a hunting rig and was wondering if anyone had a setup such as this EoTech and magnifier (http://www.eotech-inc.com/product.php?id=37&cat=3). I've only used holo sights a few times and getting the sights on a target a few hundred yards away was much easier since I had a more open field of view. Quicker I can get on target, the more time I have to make a clean shot. Makes sense to me.

Aside from limited magnification, is there anything I should consider against a holo sight?

LloydXmas250
03-20-2010, 8:28 AM
Well what exactly do you intend to hunt? That probably will matter the most. If you need some range and a good shot for squirrels or rabbits you should use a scope. Coyotes, you could probably use the holo sights but persoannly I'd still just use a scope. The extra magnification of a scope is nice fore personally. Just my two cents.

kpw001
03-20-2010, 9:03 AM
Well what exactly do you intend to hunt? That probably will matter the most. If you need some range and a good shot for squirrels or rabbits you should use a scope. Coyotes, you could probably use the holo sights but persoannly I'd still just use a scope. The extra magnification of a scope is nice fore personally. Just my two cents.

Mostly coyotes. I can see it working really well for anything inside of around 200 yards, but probably not much past that unless someone else has given it a try.

LloydXmas250
03-20-2010, 10:02 AM
Yeah. The large holo reticle at that point is going to be covering up a lot of the target past that distance. What's the MOA on the reticle?

mif_slim
03-20-2010, 11:57 AM
I've hunted once with a halo sight. Yes you can get better and faster target aquizTion but you won't have the clean shot you want. If your trying to hit a heart at 100 yards a scope might be a better choice especially hunting for yote's which are smaller targets. My AR gets 2.5"-3.5" with RDS with a scope, I get better then 1" moa. Which in my opinon is a diffrence between a ethical kill or not.

kpw001
03-20-2010, 6:48 PM
Looks like I'll stick with a traditional kill. Making a clean and ethical kill seems more likely that way. Appreciate the input.