PDA

View Full Version : homebuild AK-74 from 80% blank and parts kit

shmeare
03-19-2010, 3:18 PM
I want to build an AK-74 (5.54) from part kits and a blank receiver, or 80% receiver, myself. I also would like to join one of the build parties some fellow calguners host.

My question to you is in regards to the legality of building one on your own and/or where I can find information about building a long gun in accordance to CA state law. I found this on the ATF website: Is there something similar for California?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/fire...echnology.html

"Q: Is it legal to assemble a firearm from commercially available parts kits that can be purchased via internet or shotgun news?"

I have been researching it for about a week but can't seem to find something that says we can't! I would believe that as long as I follow federal law I should be okay, and I don't plan on selling it or transferring it either. Anyone here has looked into it?

CHS
03-19-2010, 4:40 PM
Legal. Period.

Friar_Tuck
03-19-2010, 5:13 PM
My partner and I have a half *** machine shop in oakland as part of our business, although we are not machinists by trade we do have an OLD CNC machine that was going to be scrapped at Custom Metal Alloy. My partner was able to keep all 5,000 lbs of it from getting chopped up and sent to China, he took the tape reels off, (yes, computer tape reels) ripped out all the old computer controls and it's now controlled by an Apple ibook. We have some old breaks and a press too, if I can convince him it's legal (I'm not 100% myself) to do this (make receivers) then we might consider hosting a build party in our HQ...I sure wouldnt mind building an AR single shot pistol....

fd15k
03-19-2010, 5:16 PM
My partner and I have a half *** machine shop in oakland as part of our business, although we are not machinists by trade we do have an OLD CNC machine that was going to be scrapped at Custom Metal Alloy. My parthner was able to keep all 5,000 lbs of it from getting chopped up and sent to China, he took the tape reels off, (yes, computer tape reels) ripped out all the old computer controls and it's now controlled by an Apple ibook. We have some old breaks and a press too, if I can convince him it's legal (I'm not 100% myself) to do this (make receivers) then we might consider a build party in our HQ...I sure wouldnt mind building an AR single shot pistol....

Well, this is an interesting one... I guess whoever pushes the "on" button will be considered the maker of given receiver, and as long as he doesn't make them for sale (other than infrequent one), that would be legal... So for a build party, you got to show everybody what to do, even if it's as simple as pressing a button, and they will be considered makers...

shmeare
03-20-2010, 10:45 AM
any others?

bigcalidave
03-20-2010, 10:49 AM
Friar Tuck it's completely legal to make your own guns for your own use...

Ooh, a cnc build party for 80% ar lowers and 1911 frames! Sounds nice.

Lifeofahero
03-20-2010, 11:10 AM
I'd be interested in a build party.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
03-20-2010, 11:14 AM
My partner and I have a half *** machine shop in oakland as part of our business, although we are not machinists by trade we do have an OLD CNC machine that was going to be scrapped at Custom Metal Alloy. My partner was able to keep all 5,000 lbs of it from getting chopped up and sent to China, he took the tape reels off, (yes, computer tape reels) ripped out all the old computer controls and it's now controlled by an Apple ibook. We have some old breaks and a press too, if I can convince him it's legal (I'm not 100% myself) to do this (make receivers) then we might consider hosting a build party in our HQ...I sure wouldnt mind building an AR single shot pistol....

Everything I've seen or heard indicates that whoever is pushing the "Start" button is the maker; that is, they are controlling the manufacturing steps to complete the receiver. I'd be interested if you do decide to do a build party.

Friar_Tuck
03-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Anyone know where we can get a CAD file for an 80 percenter?

B Strong
03-20-2010, 1:46 PM
Under federal law, 100% legal as long as the finished product isn't a NFA weapon if you're not a SOT.

Under state law, the finished product must not be an NFA weapon (SOT excluded) or an AW by features.

shmeare
03-20-2010, 5:14 PM
Where did you find the info? "Under state law, the finished product must not be an NFA weapon (SOT excluded) or an AW by features"? I would like read some of that too!

Under federal law, 100% legal as long as the finished product isn't a NFA weapon if you're not a SOT.

Under state law, the finished product must not be an NFA weapon (SOT excluded) or an AW by features.

shmeare
03-22-2010, 11:58 AM
where could I find the CA state law about what you say?

Where did you find the info? "Under state law, the finished product must not be an NFA weapon (SOT excluded) or an AW by features"? I would like read some of that too!

fd15k
03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
where could I find the CA state law about what you say?

There are state laws that define what is illegal to possess, sell, import, transfer, manufacture. So as long as you don't manufacture something that is illegal to manufacture or to possess (for example high-caps are legal to possess, but not to manufacture and/or import), you're good to go. In fact, CA state laws are more restrictive than federal laws, so it's very difficult to break any federal laws without breaking state laws first (probably except for 922(r)).

Finally, I must indicate that you haven't been getting a specific answer because there really isn't one. And it doesn't matter how much you insist.

EDIT: AOW's are CA legal, but require a tax stamp, so that's another example of possible Federal violation without state violation