PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 20inch questions

giarcpnw
02-06-2006, 12:48 PM
Just got this on sale for $229 at Big 5. Will be picking up in 9 days. I noticed the mossberg combo also but really wanted the 7+1 shot tube instead of the two barrels. but.....

I noticed on my 20inch version with the longer tube that the tube mount on the barrel is much further up so to fit the hi-cap tube. Is this going to prohibit me from getting other barrels? Was thinking maybe later of getting a longer choked barrel to sport with but the other 500s all have 6 shot tubes(read like 3 1/2 inch shorter tuber). I know, bought a defense shotgun and that will be it's main purpose but would like options.

Is this special 20inch version 500 sort of a one trick pony?

Thanks,

C

vega
02-06-2006, 5:43 PM
Good luck with your search. That is what swayed me away from the hi-cap, I want to put a longer barrel on my shotgun so I can shoot traps should I decide in the future. I might be wrong, there may be after market barrels.

vega

LOW2000
02-06-2006, 6:36 PM
AFAIK, the Mossberg persuader 8 shot you got only takes the 20" bbl. I have one too and love shooting it. I base all recoil against my 8mm mauser and it is like a .22lr compared to the mauser. I also plan to get the 2 bbl combo in maybe a year or so, they go on sale about once a quarter.

scott.cr
02-09-2006, 11:33 PM
If you want to swap barrels to one that doesn't fit your magazine tube, simply get the magazine tube that matches the new barrel.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/schematics/schemmfg.aspx?schemid=160&m=10&mn=Mossberg%c2%ae&model=500A%2c+12+Gauge+

The mag tubes run about $30 from Brownells. You'll also need the mag spring and mag cap/barrel nut if they're different than what you have.

wuhungsix
02-11-2006, 1:59 AM
I bought the same one from Big 5. That and a Glock 21 are my go to guns for things that bump in the night. The larger mag tube makes the gun swing like a crane. oh well. sorry im no help

scott.cr
02-11-2006, 11:03 PM
The larger mag tube makes the gun swing like a crane.

A valid point. After changing my 500A from 5 shot/18.5" bbl to 8 shot/22" bbl the gun became a lot less small-house friendly.

Nick5811
02-12-2006, 11:39 PM
I went to pick up the combo today, and the ppl working at the Big 5 on Steven's Creek are totally incompetent, and Big 5 has lost my business for good.

They told me some ridiculous garbage about my 'PG&E bill would work to verify my home address (because my D/L is confidential due to LEO) but because I didn't have the ENVELOPE the bill came in, they couldn't accept it'

I explained I bought 2 other guns using that same PG&E bill, including a handgun. The store manager took up an elitist holier than thou attitude and says "I don't care what another gun shop did, I am following the law and if you want to buy a gun here you need to have the envelope with the stamp from the post office which makes it an official document."

I even went so far as going to another gun shop (willing to pay MORE) just to get good service. The other shop couldn't touch the price of the combo ($219) but I ended up getting the other one for the $229 sale price. I went to a DIFFERENT Big 5 and had NO TROUBLE AT ALL.

I will pick up my 20" home defense shotty in 10 days, and after that, I will never shop at Big 5 again.

crs1
02-13-2006, 8:51 AM
BIG 5 is what it is. Good for cheap shoes, tennis balls, etc., and the occasional good ammo/gun sale. I am surprised they did not go the way of Wal Mart and stop selling guns...I give them alot of credit that they still do. But the people that work there know jack sh*t about guns and could care less. At the start of Duck season last year, I bought a case of steel shot there on sale, and everyone in the store looked at me like I was some sort of crazy guy. But, I got a good price on the ammo. Every Big 5 is different, but you have to know what to expect going into it. Deal only with the manager when buying guns/ammo...That's what I have found out.

As far as the Mossberg goes, you will love it. My recommendation is that you save the money from the extra barrels and just buy the combo with 2 barrels. A barrel costs at least $100, just save up the extra 150 and get a whole other gun with 2 barrels. You will be happier having a dedicated gun for defense, and one for target, etc.

explodingvarmit
02-13-2006, 10:29 AM
I had the problem of finding barrels as well. I have the 28 and it makes a kick *** trap barrel as well as your 20 inch works as a kick *** skeet barrel as well so this way you can have the combo but better than that you will have a ported accuchoke. good luck here is the site (90241) http://www.maverickarms.com/pages/barrels.htm

CowtownBallin
02-13-2006, 12:03 PM
WTF? I worked for Big 5 Stevens Creek this past summer, and know Robert and Ben (store manager and 1st assistant) very well, I can't believe you'd have problems in their store. Who'd you speak with?

I went to pick up the combo today, and the ppl working at the Big 5 on Steven's Creek are totally incompetent, and Big 5 has lost my business for good.

As for not shopping at Big 5, I don't blame you. It's more of an indoors flea market these days. Instead of selling quality goods at fair prices, they sell garbage, and expect to look professional by making their staff wear ties and not allowing any facial hair. I'm naked without my goatee! :(

CowtownBallin
02-13-2006, 12:07 PM
BIG 5 is what it is. Good for cheap shoes, tennis balls, etc., and the occasional good ammo/gun sale. I am surprised they did not go the way of Wal Mart and stop selling guns...I give them alot of credit that they still do. But the people that work there know jack sh*t about guns and could care less. At the start of Duck season last year, I bought a case of steel shot there on sale, and everyone in the store looked at me like I was some sort of crazy guy. But, I got a good price on the ammo. Every Big 5 is different, but you have to know what to expect going into it. Deal only with the manager when buying guns/ammo...That's what I have found out.

As far as the Mossberg goes, you will love it. My recommendation is that you save the money from the extra barrels and just buy the combo with 2 barrels. A barrel costs at least $100, just save up the extra 150 and get a whole other gun with 2 barrels. You will be happier having a dedicated gun for defense, and one for target, etc.

:D At my Big 5, the managers don't know much about guns/ammo, so I get the "Miran to firearms, Miran to firearms, please" call several times a day. In Davis it's even worse when you pick up a gun and get a bunch of ammo, the hippies standing in line look at you with disbelief, like you're going orphan-hunting :-\

socalguns
02-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Report whomever to the manager.
If it was the manager, report him to the district manager.

Nick5811
02-14-2006, 1:08 AM
WTF? I worked for Big 5 Stevens Creek this past summer, and know Robert and Ben (store manager and 1st assistant) very well, I can't believe you'd have problems in their store. Who'd you speak with?

Some pacific islander looking guy, with some rotund caucasian guy that liked to (pretend) to quote DOJ policy and Federal Regulation. There was a third, but I took less notice of him because he kept his mouth shut...I do plan to send a well written, intelligent sounding letter to the district manager regarding both transactions, and asking how both places in the same district can be so very different in 'Policies' and 'Laws'. I will also share the fact I have no intention of spending money at their stores beyond this purchase.

The manager over at the Blossom Hill store had his **** together, so at least he gets props.

p.s. Sorry for the thread jacking.

CowtownBallin
02-14-2006, 8:22 AM
Ben is a short, tan Japanese guy with a shaved head. Robert is probably the rotund guy you're talking about, wears glasses. Weird. Even as an employee of Big 5, I stay away from the Blossom Hill store because of the way they treat people there. Are you sure we're living in the same dimension? :D Sorry you got mistreated at Big 5..when people are getting paid minimum wage to help you, the service really is hit-and-miss

Nick5811
02-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Ben is a short, tan Japanese guy with a shaved head. Robert is probably the rotund guy you're talking about, wears glasses. Weird.

Yeah, I think that's them.

Even as an employee of Big 5, I stay away from the Blossom Hill store because of the way they treat people there. Are you sure we're living in the same dimension?

Yeah, pretty sure if you work for the same company and still avoid the store I went to...

:D Sorry you got mistreated at Big 5..when people are getting paid minimum wage to help you, the service really is hit-and-miss

*sigh* unfortunately that is the sad state of affairs in this country these days. No sense of unity for a common cause, no 'golden rule', and a bunch of freak show gun-toting, hip-gangsta' wannabes calling the shots.

whatever...live free or DIE!

CowtownBallin
02-16-2006, 5:31 PM
Cool. Might I also suggest going to the Gun Exchange or a similar place and paying $300+ for the same shotgun, then you might get better service :D
It's not an excuse, I'm just sayin'

Nick5811
02-23-2006, 8:39 PM
So I went and picked up my shotty today! (I accidentally went to the Steven's Creek store because it is closer to my house, luckily I looked at the receipt before I went in.)

No problems at the Blossom Hill store. Took about 10 minutes to get it, locked it in my toolbox and brought it home.

I installed my ATI collapsable stock and heatshield/ghost rings...Not very happy with the heat sheild, it seems cheap and wasn't very easy to bend the tabs to clear the forestock. The jury is still out on the stock (it is like, plastic. Hopefully it's the Glock type nylon, but it feels kind of silly).

I will be going out to the range soon to check it out. At least it looks good!
I'm not sure what to do about adding a sling, but that will be coming too.

Had to remove the dowel...good thing I found out about the dowel here before I got mad...!