PDA

View Full Version : Steyr M95, any good?

Donkeypunch0420
03-18-2010, 11:40 PM
I can get one for about a hundred bucks. Seems to be in at least very good condition. My only concern is ammo is scarce and expensive. What do you guys think of this rifle? I've been going the other way with ammo lately, finding stuff that's cheap to shoot.

7.62x54R
03-19-2010, 12:40 AM
Its worth the 100$. prvi partizan was going to make the ammo commercially available. But haven't seen any out on the market. I only know two places to get new ammo for it. Hornaday custom loads they retail for 25$ or so and Mr. Nambu I think its like 18$ a box. It kicks a lot its not cheap to shoot by any means but is an interesting rifle.

http://www.mrnambu.com/Brass.htm

bigthaiboy
03-19-2010, 12:47 AM
I have two of them. It is an interesting rifle, because of it's straight pull bolt action and the way it loads and ejects the metal stripper clips. Not as refined as the Swiss K-31, but interesting action none the less. Once the Prvi Partisan ammo becomes more readily available, hopefully it will fuel more interest in the M95 and push values up. I'm sure the scarcity and high cost of ammo has kept interest in these rifles low, which in turn has kept the prices of these rifles lower than they should perhaps be. I mean, how many people want a rifle, if they can't readily find ammo? One of the attractions of shooting milsurps for many people is the lower cost of ammo. Presently, 8x56r is more expensive than commercial .308 or .30-06.

Rem222
03-19-2010, 5:21 AM
I saw one at the range last week, nice looking rifle. It appeared to have a little kick to it. If you reload Graff & Sons has the brass and bullets.

sniper5
03-19-2010, 6:37 AM
Have one and enjoy shooting it. I had to get a slip on sissy pad for it tho. It's the carbine version of a long rifle and the original long rifle was designed for 8x50R and was re-chambered around WW1 for 8x56R. The combination of a light carbine and an up-powered rechambering makes for a shoulder beater of a rifle. I reload and shoot it only occasionally so ammo is not a big problem. Altho it uses a .330 bullet which can be hard to come by. Really interesting engineering and design. For a collector of different bolt actions it is a must-have.

rjf
03-19-2010, 7:25 AM
They are nice compact carbines with a full power load. Round is very similar to the Russian 762X54R in an M38. The clips are required to prevent damage to the extractor. Most surplus ammo is gone. Grafs has brass and bullets. Hornady makes ammo. Privi is supposed to make ammo. Spare parts are available at Numrich. There is no reason not to have one.

smle-man
03-19-2010, 7:26 AM
I can get one for about a hundred bucks. Seems to be in at least very good condition. My only concern is ammo is scarce and expensive. What do you guys think of this rifle? I've been going the other way with ammo lately, finding stuff that's cheap to shoot.

Your only concern should be whether you will have shoulder separation after shooting it! This is one of those firearms that demonstrates the concept of 'too small for too big a cartridge'. This carbine is a visible physics lesson. You have been warned! :eek:

Eroland7
03-19-2010, 7:31 AM
I have an M95 budapest. I have only shot the 50 rounds that came with it when i bought it off someone. I have not been able to find any cheap ammo for it. Oh and a few shots will turn your shoulder purple if you dont put a pad over that metal buttplate. I got mine for like $90 also, and I think it was well worth it.

classicist
03-19-2010, 7:44 AM
I got one for about that price (a 1917 Steyr-made one). From what I understand, the vast majority of the ones you see these days are ones imported from Bulgarian stockpiles left by the Nazis and standardized with the schritten sights and cut down barrels for the Bulgarian military. Before the Nazis grabbed them up to be sent to Bulgaria, the Austrians and the Hungarians (after the breakup) both converted most of these rifles to 8x56r, replacing the 8x50r cartridge. Bulgaria was a German ally during the war and fought in Yugoslavia and Greece.

Surprisingly, surplus is still available. Recently I bought approx. 90 rounds of late '30s Bulgarian surplus from a forum member. Nazi surplus (also from the late '30s) can still be found for approx. $0.75-$1.00 per round at gun shows. However, there was a guy in SF two months ago who was selling it for $5 a box of 10 (I bought all that I could afford). I have a few hundred rounds of various origins now. $25 a box of 20 is about what you should expect to pay for Hornady. Components are available, and I expect that this will be one of the first cartridges I start to reload, when I start to reload.

Shooting it is a bit fun. The carbine is very light, and shoots a very heavy projectile (about 200 gr) pretty fast. It kicks hard (slightly harder than most other .30 cal battle rifles, but nothing that I, at 145 lbs, can't handle) and shoots out pretty impressive fireballs. Mine does not seem to be terribly accurate, and the sights are not fantastic, but it's a lot of fun. The straight pull bolt is stiff. I have found that lubricating the bolt with grease makes it easier to work than if lubricated with oil. I suggest taking apart the bolt to lube it and polish all the mating surfaces, especially the spiral grooves.

I'd say that you should just get it. It's only $100. I wouldn't really consider getting a second M95, unless it were a rarer unconverted model, a full length rifle, or a foreign (such as Greek) capture. But it is certainly a nice piece to have around, and very unique.

bigstick61
03-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I got one for $150 with 40 rounds of Nazi Austrian ammo and 8 clips (although one is bent and doesn't work). I still want to shoot it, but just haven't gotten the chance. It's a 1917 Budapest rebuilt as a Karabiner-Stutzen, although it was originally built as a Stutzen. The butt stock has a crack I noticed after I got it, but I'm not sure if it is a big deal or not. It is a Bulgarian rework, so it has the taller front sight, has a spacer washer where the front bottom sling swivel should be, and has had the stud-type rear bottom swivel replaced by a wood plug. It has a very good bore and has most of its finish intact. Mine also has a trigger that breaks with no creep whatsoever, very sharp, but it feels like a 3-stage for some reason, with the 2nd stage being a bit heavy.

What I like about it is its physical characteristics. I think the M95 carbines and stutzens and other short variations would make good brush guns. They are short (about a meter long), handy, well-balanced, and quite light. Mine weighs less than 7 pounds and I could carry it around all day. The LOP is not too long (a hair over 13 inches) and the butt fits well into the shoulder and doesn't stick like many rubber ones do. For me, the open sights line up so quickly and naturally that it's almost as if it was made for me (that's what got me to like them when I first held one at Big 5, that and the price); they also seem good for longer range work because of the style of notch and blade. One thing I like is that they are not wanting for power; a .33 cal 205-208gr. projectile at 2400fps is no joke. The straight-pull, while a bit stiff, is still really fast, although I heard there are ways to lessen the stiffness considerably. Of course, the very handsome appearance can be appealing; I like it when my firearms look good.

As for ammo, Prvi makes it in small quantities, but only Graf & Sons seems to sell it, at $25 a box which seems a bit much for Prvi; hopefully that price will go down. I had heard of Nambu, but I didn't know it was $18 a box. That sounds worth it. Surplus can still be found, although often it is pricey, sometimes even moreso than commercial ammo, but you can find good deals if you look around online and at gun shows, or even on marketplaces like the one at CalGuns. Hornady costs on a good day as much as Prvi, but it often costs a bit more; both Hornady and Prvi load softpoint ammo for hunting. It seems like getting hunting ammo is really the harder thing, and I am not aware of any .33 lead free bullets suitable for hunting for those who hunt in areas prohibiting lead. Reloading brings in some more options, nevertheless.

One thing that is interesting to me is that the sights are graduated in paces, not in yards or meters. I actually kind of like this, since paces are often used in the hunting field, being easier to measure without a rangefinder. What's nice is that paces are easily convertible to yards. To get the distance in yards, just subtract 1/6, and to go from yards to paces, just add 1/5. So the 2400 pace notch on the rear sight is for 2000 yards exactly.

What I have not been able to figure out is how the taller police sights affect POI as well as rear sight calibration. I would really like to know this if anyone has that info.

Classicist, what kind of grease do you recommend for the bolt? Would the stuff used on the M-14 be suitable?

rjf
03-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Auto grease works fine. I use valvoline brand red grease. Same as my toyota.

classicist
03-19-2010, 8:37 PM
I have used white lithium grease with good results. It is long lasting and is not very visible against the "white" metal bolt. I am sure, because this is not a high temperature application, that most automotive and industrial greases would work. I prefer not to use aerosol cans out of personal preference.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-19-2010, 9:15 PM
I have 2-3 of the carbines and one of the rifles. They are good guns. The carbine does kick like a mule. You get used to it eventually. I went through a couple of hundred rounds of the Nazi stuff a few years ago. It is pretty clean for corrossive ammo. They are worth about $100 right now if they are in good shape. But don't get one unless you plan on reloading. It is too pricey to shoot otherwise. Also remember that these don't use a regular .323" 8mm bullet. They use a .329-.330" oddball that takes some looking to find. Hornady makes one that diameter, as does Buffalo Arms. In terms of power, these are somewhere right around .308, but they usually use a 200-210 grain bullet. They can really knock the snot out of stuff. And the carbines make great brush guns. Just remember to get a couple of the metal clips for them, otherwise you have a single-shot rifle. And don't take the bolt out unless you know how to put it back together. Look online for the dime trick. It works.

-Mb

knucklehead0202
03-21-2010, 9:27 AM
i don't think it kicks much worse than the m44 mosin, and the straight pull is neat. my carbine is fairly accurate, when i can get it to work right. i've been fighting a feed/magazine retention problem since i got it and haven't spent the time yet to work it out, but it is a handy, neat little cannon. i got lucky and got hooked up with a buttload of surplus ammo too so it'll be a while before i have to reload.

bigstick61
03-24-2010, 9:57 PM
Does anyone have both a carbine with the original short front sight and a carbine with the taller Bulgarian replacement fron sight? I'd like to find out the height differences so I can calculate the difference in POI at the various ranges marked on the rear sight.