PDA

View Full Version : **CRPA MEMBERS POLL** Are you happy?

bigcalidave
03-18-2010, 7:42 PM
Hey guys, I was sitting here and I realized that I'm an NRA life member, but I'm not a member of CRPA yet. I have a pretty good idea what the NRA is doing for me, and using my membership dues for.... What is CRPA doing for you with your membership dues?

I'm using the poll for some basic ideas about the CRPA, but if you could, please give me a reason to lay out the money for a CRPA membership! It's only $22 a year and if anything good can be accomplished I want to help out!

I'd really like to hear from those of you who are active in the 2A forum, but I'd love to hear from all Calgunners who are (or were) CRPA members.

Thanks!

Mods if you don't think this belongs here PLEASE pm me before moving it?

Rem222
03-18-2010, 7:54 PM
CRPA stands with us in the fight to protect our rights here in California. A trip to my local range runs me about the same as a year membership to the CRPA.

wildhawker
03-18-2010, 9:11 PM
I'm curious to see how CRPA members and non-members feel about this as well.

ETA: I'm a life member.

Shotgun Man
03-18-2010, 9:24 PM
Your poll doesn't allow for an NRA life member and CRPA yearly member.

Kestryll
03-18-2010, 9:27 PM
I don't quite fit in any ot these categories.

NRA Life Member and CRPA Member (not Life yet).

I think the CRPA has made great improvements over the last year or so and I'm watching to see if it continues and maintains this improvement.

Peter W Bush
03-18-2010, 9:30 PM
I joined the CRPA a few months back and remember seeing a weirdo SHTF tin foil article in their magazine. That, combined with what one of their "board members" said in an interview with KFI (people open carrying are trying to bait LEOs, IIRC) makes me a bit wary about renewing my membership. I have written to them but have no received a response in months.

RUM
03-18-2010, 9:31 PM
Ex member. Now that the A-hole Director James Erdman is gone , I hope they will regain my support and I will rejoin.

bigcalidave
03-18-2010, 9:38 PM
I'm fairly certain "OTHER" with your post works too :) Thanks!

bwiese
03-18-2010, 9:41 PM
Life member!!

The new Executive Director (John Fields) plus a knowledgeable and skillful Legislative Director (Tom Pedersen) make it a breath of fresh air. With these new guys, I think CRPA got a new kick in the butt and moved from some dispiriting issues/entanglements in past administrations/staffing.

Brandon and I saw Tom Pedersen at work last year - along with Team California NRA, Chuck Michel and some scientists -- helping shoot down a further F&G Commission lead ammo ban. It was a thing of beauty to see the choreography. Tom has high personal repute in this arena and is known for personal integrity. You just can't call him a "lobbyist" - he's known for effective advocacy and good work with other groups like COHA as well as NRA and CGF/Calguns.

We need to get CRPA membership to at least double. Hell, John's laudable goal is to get membership to 100K or more.

Having a formal, state-named gun organization with 100+K members will carry a lotta weight in Sacto. Getting that amount of anyone in California to focus on any one thing for an extended is a notable achievement and notice will be taken. Having an effective, populated state organization also refutes the claim "those boys in Fairfax, Virginia are telling you to do this."

I note the effectiveness of state affiliate groups like Texas' TSRA, and believe these changes in CRPA are making it similar.

As I am now on the Board of the CRPA, along with Gene Hoffman, I hope to be part of helping CRPA grow and succeed as the state affiliate of the NRA - and bring a bit of Calguns "stir-the-pot-ness" into the mix too.

I joined the CRPA a few months back and remember seeing a weirdo SHTF tin foil article in their magazine.

I believe the mag editorial work was a bit understaffed during that period and it went in without usual
screening. I and a host of other folks got the same feeling and that won't be happening in the future.

That, combined with what one of their "board members" said in an interview with KFI (people open carrying...

That board member was worried about greater political repercussions - and we've seen what it's triggered, and at least the short term risks. Regardless of 'baiting' the issue is end results vs our political environment vs. timing. And Tony's 100% right on that.

bwiese
03-18-2010, 9:50 PM
Ex member. Now that the A-hole Director James Erdman is gone , I hope they will regain my support and I will rejoin.

Rest assured there was a major change.

Besides Erdman no longer there, Gerry Upholt's absence should be noted.

John Fields is now Executive Director. Helluva guy, full of energy.

Tom Pedersen (I wrote about him above) is our new Legislative Director.

Understand that for all the low-level good work the CRPA (running matches, etc), in the past - if there were issues that were "at the top" these fine folks' work didn't get noticed.

berto
03-18-2010, 10:11 PM
NRA Life.

CRPA for the current year because they made necessary changes. I'll renew because things are getting better.

nick
03-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Your poll doesn't allow for an NRA life member and CRPA yearly member.

Yep. Same here.

ILVSMOG
03-18-2010, 10:28 PM
I'm a NRA Life Member and an Ex-CRPA member. I don't always agree with all the things the NRA says or does (mainly the NRA-ILA) but they are a prevalent lobby in DC, so I support them. I found myself disagreeing with a lot of articles and points-of-view of the CRPA (granted this was a number of years ago) and felt that my support dollars were better spent elsewhere, so I did not and have not renewed my CRPA membership.

obeygiant
03-18-2010, 10:52 PM
It would be nice if they accepted gunpal for those wishing to sign up.

BigDogatPlay
03-19-2010, 12:03 AM
NRA Life member, and CRPA annual member for over a decade.

I had just about given up on CRPA, but it is on the right track now. I am happy with the organization, but I won't join just anything. For instance I don't belong to GOA.

:D

obeygiant
03-19-2010, 12:17 AM
I have a question, when did CRPA lose 30,000 members?

CRPA and Law Enforcement Agree...Law-abiding citizens are not the problem. (http://www.crpa.org/showpages.asp?pid=1007)

As well as general membership, CRPA's 35,000+ members include law enforcement officers, prosecutors, professionals, and firearm

CRPA and Law Enforcement Agree...Law-abiding citizens are not the problem. (http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:RgPgqLvWqswJ:www.crpa.org/showpages.asp%3Fpid%3D1007+site:crpa.org+65,000&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a)
As well as general membership, CRPA's 65,000+ members include law enforcement officers, prosecutors, professionals, and firearm

REPEAL AB 962! SEND ATTACHED LETTER NOW! (http://www.crpa.org/_e/page/1498/mr10_19_09.htm)
CRPA's 65,000 members include law enforcement officers, prosecutors, professionals, firearm experts, the general public, and loving parents.

Wait, I'm confused. The page below says 70,000.

CAL. DOJ SEEKS TO RAID GUN BACKGROUND CHECK BANK ACCOUNT (http://www.crpa.org/showpages.asp?pid=1122)
CRPA is the official state association of the National Rifle Association. CRPA is a California non profit association and is independently directed by its own Board of Directors CRPA’s 70,000 members include law enforcement officers, prosecutors, professionals, firearm experts, the general public, and loving parents.

Now I'm thoroughly confused as it says earlier in that same article (http://www.crpa.org/showpages.asp?pid=1122)
said Chuck Michel, spokesman for the 65,000 member California Rifle and Pistol Association (CRPA).

ETA:
my buddy sitting next to me thinks there are 20 people that have 3000 screen names.

REH
03-19-2010, 9:29 AM
If you look at the attendance record when the anti gun bills are being proposed and discussed, CRPA is in attendance far more than NRA. This say's allot about interest of the members.
I belong to the NRA so they can add me to their numbers. Adds more clout.

bigcalidave
03-19-2010, 11:14 AM
Only 37 votes?? Even if you don't make a post, please vote in the poll!
With Gene and Bill on the board, signing up is sure to achieve SOMETHING in the future. If you are going to join CRPA as well, post something here..

HowardW56
03-19-2010, 11:40 AM
CRPA member and NRA member....

I'm taking a wait and see posture as to CPRA... They have improved, but have a long way to go.

REH
03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Only 37 votes?? Even if you don't make a post, please vote in the poll!
With Gene and Bill on the board, signing up is sure to achieve SOMETHING in the future. If you are going to join CRPA as well, post something here..

I don't think the " NRA life member! I'll join anything" applys to to many people.

GJC
03-19-2010, 11:51 AM
I just joined up this year.

GJC
03-19-2010, 11:51 AM
CRPA that is.

WatchMan
03-19-2010, 12:07 PM
Only have known about CRPA for about 2 years, and have only started paying attention to them recently. They seem to be doing more good than harm, so I joined and happy I did. These days, any group that is helping to fight the good fight is worthy of my money.

Steyrlp10
03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Life Memberships:

NRA
CRPA
USA Shooting

In my former life, I became a Life Member of all these organizations because they're mandatory for the matches I participate in -- a matter of cost effectiveness. At that time, the CRPA wasn't very supportive of pistol shooters or the competitions held in N.CA.

I suppose my greatest annoyance with Crappa was when I repeatedly asked them to update my name and address. I was ignored. I mentioned that topic in a previous thread, that the CRPA was complaining that not enough women are involved in their organization, yet here they were, tuning out a female pistol competitor who happens to be a Life Member.

When I was sent a donation request from them, I said I would consider sending a check in if they could see their way around to fixing my contact info.

And they did!

Because I'm on Calguns, I've returned to looking at how the CRPA is functioning. As was mentioned in previous posts by Calgunners, I think there are people in the CRPA organization who are trying to be proactive, but like with most things, they need help.

I think Calguns is the one to provide that much needed help -- yeehaw! :)

DVCG30
03-19-2010, 3:02 PM
NRA Life member and CRPA Life Member. I would not go so far as claiming I will join 'anything'. I do feel that the more public and fiscal support these organizations get will help our cause regarding laws being introduced and passing. Getting the membership numbers up along all fronts can't hurt, and would at least give pause to the rabid voices in Sac. They seem to parrot what their handlers tell them, so a more educated public is our friend. Take a noob shooting!
DVC
Jon

anthonyca
03-19-2010, 5:40 PM
NRA life member, not yet a CRPA member.

otteray
03-19-2010, 5:45 PM
Also am year to year NRA member. When I retire in a few (TWO) years:), I'm going for the Life Memberships.

sass2924
03-19-2010, 6:45 PM
Well at the banquet J Fields announced that one goal for the organization is to reach 100,000 members but did not provide a timeline for this.
Dr. Ignatius Piazza was one of the guest speakers and made an offer to give each new life member of the CRPA a free 2 day trainning class at his facility. Also, each existing life member would receive $1000 off towards a purchase of one of his memberships. Whether or not this is an enticing offer, people should be made aware of it. So far nothing on the CRPA web site. So I am not really sure how motivated we are to get to that 100,000 number. It sure is not going to happen if we don't make positive changes now.

sass2924, CRPA Life Member

gbp
03-19-2010, 6:53 PM
so what is the bs statement behind life "i'll join anything" supposed to mean. hate to say it but it sounds sarcastic the way it's polled

life of both , just sayn

bigcalidave
03-19-2010, 9:53 PM
Wasn't being sarcastic!!! Just meant people who support them and have faith that all these .orgs are working for the RKBA cause!

I wanna know why so many people read the thread and so few vote. It's a poll, you click a button.

FastFinger
03-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Year to year member, looking forward to upcoming positive changes!

Silverback
03-19-2010, 10:55 PM
As I am now on the Board of the CRPA, along with Gene Hoffman, I hope to be part of helping CRPA grow and succeed as the state affiliate of the NRA - and bring a bit of Calguns "stir-the-pot-ness" into the mix too.

It seems you have a fair amount of faith in the new organization. The Lord himself would have had to yell three time just to wake up the old one.

FastFinger
03-19-2010, 10:59 PM

It seems you have a fair amount of faith in the new organization. The Lord himself would have had to yell three time just to wake up the old one.

If you're keeping score it sounds like he's already directed two yells in the general direction of the old board...

wildhawker
03-20-2010, 12:46 AM
We need not worry about the quantity of yells, or their volume for that matter. ;)

GuyInSD
03-20-2010, 11:17 AM
Life member of both, but will not "join anything."

bigcalidave
03-20-2010, 11:25 AM
77 votes? I just want to see the collective numbers of a few hundred members! There has to be more than a few hundred CRPA members on calguns, right??

Please, if you are gonna post, make a vote. I'm sorry I said the "I'll join anything" bit, ok?? Can't change that now.

SteveH
03-20-2010, 1:10 PM
CRPA life member. Joined when i moved to california. Upgraded to life member due to the ODCMP club benifits.

Legasat
03-20-2010, 7:21 PM
Not a CRPA member. Belong to NRA and give to CalGuns.

butch952
03-21-2010, 8:43 AM
Every shooter in should belong to the NRA and a state organization.I was a member of the CRPA years ago. I have recently rejoined after seing that Wayne LaPierre endorses them.

lavgrunt
03-21-2010, 12:20 PM
CRPA is definetley headed in the right direction! PLEASE JOIN NOW!

How's that for an answer to your poll?! LOL!

Full disclosure: I'm the current CRPA Vice President. CRPA board member for ten years. CRPA and NRA life member. Calgunner for 6 years.

I was the guy who did the interview on KFI with Brian Suits over UOC. I know many people were not happy with what I had to say, believe me, I heard about it extensively.........I was simply addressing reality and what police officer's concerns were. I also happen to be a 20 year LE officer and was talking as a LE, not CRPA spokesperson.........

The Piazza/Front Sight offer is in the works. We are currently working out the details and logistics.

In addition to reaching the 100,000 membership goal, the CRPA is moving towards becoming a much more nimble, modern and aggressive organization. We have already made great strides in many areas and I greatly appreciate all the positive comments posted here!

Gene and Bill will be great additions to CRPA and we will be achieving great things together!

Bottom line, please join today! CRPA has recognized it's past shortcomings.......... many were mentioned here.......and is moving energetically to EARN your support!!

Stay tuned......GREAT THINGS ARE COMING!!

pullnshoot25
03-21-2010, 1:08 PM
bwiese's comments make me want to give the CRPA another glance. I am still a bit miffed after that jackhole went on the radio and said we (the OC community) were trying to sue the police.

Like we ask cops to break the law or anything. Geez.

wildhawker
03-21-2010, 1:17 PM
Tony's truly a nice guy, very committed to advancing gun rights and I look forward to his leadership at CRPA; I think we should all give him another shake regardless of how you feel about the KFI call.

I fully expect him to work hard at improving CRPA... he's one of the "good guys" over there and very aware of the challenges they face in turning the org around.

That said, I'm a bit concerned about the Piazza/FS offer that's "in the works". The recent CRPA Annual Banquet was a cause for great concern and I see nothing good coming from continuing the relationship [with Piazza] which created some very perceptible problems for CRPA.

obeygiant
03-21-2010, 2:29 PM
CRPA is definetley headed in the right direction! PLEASE JOIN NOW!

How's that for an answer to your poll?! LOL!

Full disclosure: I'm the current CRPA Vice President. CRPA board member for ten years. CRPA and NRA life member. Calgunner for 6 years.

I was the guy who did the interview on KFI with Brian Suits over UOC. I know many people were not happy with what I had to say, believe me, I heard about it extensively.........I was simply addressing reality and what police officer's concerns were. I also happen to be a 20 year LE officer and was talking as a LE, not CRPA spokesperson.........

The Piazza/Front Sight offer is in the works. We are currently working out the details and logistics.

Would you be able to offer some insight into the concerns addressed in following posts?

Tony's truly a nice guy, very committed to advancing gun rights and I look forward to his leadership at CRPA; I think we should all give him another shake regardless of how you feel about the KFI call.

I fully expect him to work hard at improving CRPA... he's one of the "good guys" over there and very aware of the challenges they face in turning the org around.

That said, I'm a bit concerned about the Piazza/FS offer that's "in the works". The recent CRPA Annual Banquet was a cause for great concern and I see nothing good coming from continuing the relationship [with Piazza] which created some very perceptible problems for CRPA.

WRONG. MISREPRESENTATION.

That is merely a piece of news and is no way construable as an indicator of support.

The NRA reports on Brady Campaign matters too, and that in no way implies support either.

And I don't think Front Sight will ever get much traction with the NRA again after a recent dinner in which Piazza was the speaker. The expectations were he'd talk about some aspects of training -- instead he turned it into a sales pitch, lied about the NRA in various ways, bashed the hell out of NRA for non-reasons (except for sales pitch). I could see the eyes rolling. Word apparently got back to Wayne's office quickly, and I wonder what the pushback will be.

How many members does CRPA have? In an earlier post of mine in this thread I noticed some discrepancies in the membership numbers cited on the crpa site.
In addition to reaching the 100,000 membership goal, the CRPA is moving towards becoming a much more nimble, modern and aggressive organization. We have already made great strides in many areas and I greatly appreciate all the positive comments posted here!

lavgrunt
03-21-2010, 4:19 PM
bwiese's comments make me want to give the CRPA another glance. I am still a bit miffed after that jackhole went on the radio and said we (the OC community) were trying to sue the police.

Like we ask cops to break the law or anything. Geez.

JACKHOLE, huh !!??.......Very classy and professional........You obviously did not even listen to the interview............

No wonder the general public thinks UOC'ers are a bunch of wing nuts...........

lavgrunt
03-21-2010, 4:33 PM

Thanks, Brandon !!!

I have come to realize that you can't please everyone, all the time and one can only do the best one can and stay honest and true to the cause. It is truly like walking through a minefield at times...........

I look forward to working with you and achieving great things for ALL California gunowners !!!

CRACKERJACK
03-21-2010, 7:33 PM
So, does CRPA look down upon UOC or are they in full support of it?
NRA- Annual member.
SAF- Annual member.

scr83jp
03-21-2010, 8:05 PM
nra life,crpa annual. over the years when I was attending raahauges shooting sports fairs many groups were there vying for members but I never saw anyone from crpa so I called them a few times but never received a satisfactory response.I orginally joined to satisfy dcm requirements of a membership in an approved state firearms organization to qualify for purchasing a garand.

Mstrty
03-21-2010, 9:13 PM
Other:
CRPA Life
NRA Annual

NRA dont piss me off

obeygiant
03-21-2010, 9:43 PM
106 votes and 935 views....

bigcalidave
03-21-2010, 10:10 PM
Could be better... Could be worse though! It's only been a weekend. I hope people keep checking this out and voting!

greasemonkey
03-21-2010, 11:27 PM
NRA and SAF member, don't know much about CRPA but I'm looking into it and am definitely interested in getting involved with a state organization.

I'm also a bit worried about the deal/alliance with Piazza, though; only good things I can find about him are from his own sales pitches. Alliances like that make me pretty leery to get involved/send money.

nraendowment
03-22-2010, 1:00 AM
I was a CRPA member some years back but let my membership expire. I've since rejoined.

NRA Benefactor Member
CRPA Yearly Member

nraendowment
03-22-2010, 1:10 AM
Oh, and I'm also a GOA member. A take-no-prisoners organization.

wildhawker
03-22-2010, 1:45 AM
GOA takes no prisoners because it fights no battles. But hey, they email a mean fundraiser.

bigcalidave
03-22-2010, 2:23 AM
GOA takes no prisoners because it fights no battles. But hey, they email a mean fundraiser.

uuhhhhhhh BURN.... :D

lavgrunt
03-22-2010, 9:55 AM
So, does CRPA look down upon UOC or are they in full support of it?
NRA- Annual member.
SAF- Annual member.

CRPA supports all lawful gun ownership and use, in any form. The organization does not have a specific stand on UOC..........

lavgrunt
03-22-2010, 9:57 AM
nra life,crpa annual. over the years when I was attending raahauges shooting sports fairs many groups were there vying for members but I never saw anyone from crpa so I called them a few times but never received a satisfactory response.I orginally joined to satisfy dcm requirements of a membership in an approved state firearms organization to qualify for purchasing a garand.

CRPA had a recruiting booth at the 2007 and 2008 shooting sports fair. There was no fair last year. CRPA plans on participating again this year....!!!

Come by and say "Hi....!!!"

n2k
03-22-2010, 10:01 AM
CRPA and NRA member. Not lifetime in either... yet.

lavgrunt
03-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Would you be able to offer some insight into the concerns addressed in following posts?

How many members does CRPA have? In an earlier post of mine in this thread I noticed some discrepancies in the membership numbers cited on the crpa site.

It's no secret that Dr. Piazza's apperance ruffled lots of feathers! However, his offer was very attractive and compelling to many members of the CRPA board. I can't reveal the details, but suffice to say that the debates were heated and passionate. ALL the discussions were held in 'executive session,' therefore I am not at liberty to discuss the nature of those discussions. I can tell you that the majority decided to proceed with Dr. Piazza's offer and this will be public knowledge once the details are hashed out.

The current, ACTUAL membership number is 35,000. The 65,000-70,000 is an old number from the early 1990s. Just like NRA, CRPA saw a huge spike in membership during the Clinton years. Once the hysteria was over, we started losing members because we took members for granted. A massive mistake. We are aware that the old numbers still appear in some areas and we are doing what we can to revise as we notice the error !!!!

obeygiant
03-22-2010, 12:21 PM
It's no secret that Dr. Piazza's apperance ruffled lots of feathers! However, his offer was very attractive and compelling to many members of the CRPA board. I can't reveal the details, but suffice to say that the debates were heated and passionate. ALL the discussions were held in 'executive session,' therefore I am not at liberty to discuss the nature of those discussions. I can tell you that the majority decided to proceed with Dr. Piazza's offer and this will be public knowledge once the details are hashed out.

The current, ACTUAL membership number is 35,000. The 65,000-70,000 is an old number from the early 1990s. Just like NRA, CRPA saw a huge spike in membership during the Clinton years. Once the hysteria was over, we started losing members because we took members for granted. A massive mistake. We are aware that the old numbers still appear in some areas and we are doing what we can to revise as we notice the error !!!!

Thank you for clarifying the membership numbers and as for Dr. Piazza, it will certainly be interesting to see how that plays out.

obeygiant
03-22-2010, 12:23 PM

uuhhhhhhh BURN.... :D

"that's going to leave a mark.....not so much here.....but right here" - tommy boy. :43:

devilinblack
03-22-2010, 12:31 PM
Okay, I had to pick "Other" so here's my explanation.

I tried to join!

I filled out the on-line form, gave my CC info and received a confirmation. Looking at my CC account on-line I saw that it was a "pending" charge. So far, so good.

Several days go by and the CRPA charge continues to show as "pending" until it times out and goes away without ever actually charging the card. Now, about this same time I'm notified that there is suspected fradulent activity on the card. I talk to my credit union, verify that I'm not buying stuff from iTunes nor am I purchasing tickets on Rail India (or whatever) and tell them to kill the card.

At some point after this I get a call from CRPA stating that the card was declined (duh).

Anyway, I've yet to get back to signing up on line again because I'm honestly not comfortable with the timing of the above events. If they were to decide to take gunpal I might re-think things.

s-s
03-22-2010, 4:17 PM
NRA & CRPA Annual.

CRPA=CMP Eligibility

CRACKERJACK
03-22-2010, 5:06 PM
CRPA supports all lawful gun ownership and use, in any form. The organization does not have a specific stand on UOC..........

Wouldn't UOC fall under lawful gun ownership and use?

bigcalidave
03-22-2010, 11:13 PM
Wouldn't UOC fall under lawful gun ownership and use?

Sure, but they don't want to make a statement supporting it. Think big picture, not making more bans....

dadoody
03-23-2010, 5:46 AM
I've never heard about this organization until I read a related thread.

Hate to see all the problems with this California organization. Aside from the NRA, is this the next biggest gun rights organization in California? The "aura" I get is not a comfortable one. Like a mismanaged small business.

I hope to see it improved.

Not to say that I know all that much about this organization - but just the general feeling I get from reading what's been going on with it, doesn't sound like something all that useful to me...

CRACKERJACK
03-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Sure, but they don't want to make a statement supporting it. Think big picture, not making more bans....

Yea, but that's the kind of mind set to me that I think is tearing us apart. They're fighting for the same thing and abiding by the law. Together we stand, divided we fall. I don't know how I feel about supporting an organization that's building walls in the pro 2nd amendment corner, you got to be all for it in my mind.

greasemonkey
03-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Divided we fall...if they come out and 'encourage' UOC as you're looking for, they'll be taking a side on a heavily divisive issue in the RKBA community. It seems like they took a safe stance as Starbucks did and said they're okay with what's legal.

If they pick 'your side' instead of those in opposition to your mindset, do you mean to tell me that's not divisive?

Yea, but that's the kind of mind set to me that I think is tearing us apart. They're fighting for the same thing and abiding by the law. Together we stand, divided we fall. I don't know how I feel about supporting an organization that's building walls in the pro 2nd amendment corner, you got to be all for it in my mind.

bigcalidave
03-24-2010, 11:56 AM
BTT After this week I'll end this. Let's just see what happens.

sharkman
03-24-2010, 8:47 PM
I'd have to say, I think they have been spending more money in postage, sending me The Firing Line, for nearly the past 30 years. I joined sometime in the early 80's, was an annual member for 1 year, and when I went to renew, I made it a life membership. Back then, I believe it was </= $100.00 for a life membership. Seeing as I was in my early 20's, it was a great deal. Now I do send them donations, here and there, but to be a full member, for nearly 30 years (and still counting), and not be required to pay for another year's dues, that's what I consider to be a good deal.

Hey guys, I was sitting here and I realized that I'm an NRA life member, but I'm not a member of CRPA yet. I have a pretty good idea what the NRA is doing for me, and using my membership dues for.... What is CRPA doing for you with your membership dues?

I'm using the poll for some basic ideas about the CRPA, but if you could, please give me a reason to lay out the money for a CRPA membership! It's only $22 a year and if anything good can be accomplished I want to help out!

I'd really like to hear from those of you who are active in the 2A forum, but I'd love to hear from all Calgunners who are (or were) CRPA members.

Thanks!

Mods if you don't think this belongs here PLEASE pm me before moving it?

bigcalidave
03-26-2010, 7:46 PM
BTT for a few more?

obeygiant
03-26-2010, 9:14 PM
BTT, just renewed my membership for another year.

CRACKERJACK
03-27-2010, 7:41 PM
Divided we fall...if they come out and 'encourage' UOC as you're looking for, they'll be taking a side on a heavily divisive issue in the RKBA community. It seems like they took a safe stance as Starbucks did and said they're okay with what's legal.

If they pick 'your side' instead of those in opposition to your mindset, do you mean to tell me that's not divisive?

Never said encouraged, it's a personal choice, I don't carry. I was just curious if they had their backs. Bearing arms is a divisive issue in the right to keep and bear arms community? And starbucks isn't a pro gun group. I was just curious if they were pro RKBA, so far they just have the RK.

wildhawker
03-27-2010, 8:11 PM
CRPA is not a legal defense fund. Only you and your lawyer "have [your] back".

Rights-advancing organizations have a responsibility to do just that; we shouldn't view tactical decisions as some sort of judgement upon the practice or principles involved.

Never said encouraged, it's a personal choice, I don't carry. I was just curious if they had their backs. Bearing arms is a divisive issue in the right to keep and bear arms community? And starbucks isn't a pro gun group. I was just curious if they were pro RKBA, so far they just have the RK.

Call_me_Tom
03-28-2010, 8:46 AM
I'm an NRA Life member & a CRPA annual member. I've not received one thing from CRPA. Not one notification, magazine, sticker, anything. Once this membership runs out I don't think I'm going to renew it.

obeygiant
03-28-2010, 1:44 PM
I'm an NRA Life member & a CRPA annual member. I've not received one thing from CRPA. Not one notification, magazine, sticker, anything. Once this membership runs out I don't think I'm going to renew it.

quick question, have you verified that your account information is correct on their website?

Call_me_Tom
03-28-2010, 2:23 PM
quick question, have you verified that your account information is correct on their website?
No I have not, I'll do that now.

Call_me_Tom
03-28-2010, 2:27 PM
Well...how do I go about checking my info on their website?

obeygiant
03-28-2010, 3:04 PM
Well...how do I go about checking my info on their website?

Go to this link (https://www.crpa.org/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2faccount_profile.aspx)
Login and verify your account details.

Call_me_Tom
03-29-2010, 9:22 AM
Go to this link (https://www.crpa.org/login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2faccount_profile.aspx)
Login and verify your account details.
No bueano...

I got nothing...meaning no log in information. I guess that it would appear that I'm not an actual member...take your money and run I guess. Since I've never received an email, flyer, magazine or anything else for that matter from the CRPA I guess I shouldn't have expected too much.

While I was there I decided to sign up for their free 3 month membership to see if that is also screwy...I've also yet to receive any conformation email...I'll wait to see if anything comes in the mail but I'm not spending any more money on this experiment.

jnojr
03-29-2010, 4:12 PM
No bueano...

I got nothing...meaning no log in information. I guess that it would appear that I'm not an actual member...take your money and run I guess. Since I've never received an email, flyer, magazine or anything else for that matter from the CRPA I guess I shouldn't have expected too much.

While I was there I decided to sign up for their free 3 month membership to see if that is also screwy...I've also yet to receive any conformation email...I'll wait to see if anything comes in the mail but I'm not spending any more money on this experiment.

It's possible that you are a member, but that your email isn't linked up with your account.

If you've paid for a membership but haven't received anything, I'm sure you can get some help. There are CalGunners who have to do with CRPA.

I'm the last guy who'd be a blind defender of CRPA, but it does look like there's some reform going on. Stick with it, get the three month trial membership or get the year. Ask for help if you need it. If we can actually get the CRPA turned into a useful pro-2A organization instead of the good ol' boys club, we could start to see some positive things happen. It's worth $22 to say, "OK, I'm here... now let's see you do your part."

Call_me_Tom
03-29-2010, 4:55 PM
I'd love for CRPA to take off but I don't think that I should bend over backwards for them to do their job.

If there are CGN/CRPA reps here, they should be contacting me. I think that I've done more then is necessary for something that should be automated.

Millions of other websites have seemed to have gotten right. Seriously, if they can't get this right how do we expect them to handle politics...

bigcalidave
03-29-2010, 5:39 PM
Tom this really isn't the place to air out your issue with CRPA, over what sounds like a technical glitch. Have you CALLED THEM?? Doesn't sound like you are really worried about this, so please don't pollute my thread with it.

Call_me_Tom
03-30-2010, 3:05 PM
Tom this really isn't the place to air out your issue with CRPA, over what sounds like a technical glitch. Have you CALLED THEM?? Doesn't sound like you are really worried about this, so please don't pollute my thread with it.

Thanks!

Mods if you don't think this belongs here PLEASE pm me before moving it?You asked & I answered.

...and yes, you're right, I'm not that worried about it. I just wont be sending them anymore money.

bigcalidave
04-19-2010, 10:45 AM
Back on topic, and a check in for anyone that missed this thread the first time around...

FirstFlight
04-19-2010, 3:55 PM
I am a member of the NRA and CRPA. Both groups have a representative based in Sacramento. California is the only state where the NRA has a full time representative talking with the legislators on a daily bases. I feel the most important reason for belonging to either or both of the organizations is numbers. All the legislators in Sacramento know what those numbers are. The more numbers you represent, the more they listen! Can you imagine how intently they would listen if every gun owner in Cali was a member of either one or both of these organizations?

limitdown
04-19-2010, 9:55 PM
NRA : Life
CRPA : No
CGF donator: YES

I can actually see the results of the hard work that Ben, Gene and the rest of the crew at CGF have done. Very happy and willing to put money there.

Waiting to see CRPA get something going. I'll put money there when I see some results (kinda like what everybody I've ever worked for has told me, and what I now tell my employees!).

gobler
04-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Don't know who CRPA (Unless that is the Cali Rifle & Pistol Association) In which I am planning on joining. I am working on NRA life (easy payments) Any organization that fights for 2ndA rights is worth supporting.

ja308
06-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I joined the CRPA a few months back and remember seeing a weirdo SHTF tin foil article in their magazine. That, combined with what one of their "board members" said in an interview with KFI (people open carrying are trying to bait LEOs, IIRC) makes me a bit wary about renewing my membership. I have written to them but have no received a response in months.

I missed the tin foil hat weirdo article in the "firing line" I also missed the interview on KFI --do you have the dates of these .
I have been a member for a decade or so .
thank you
ja308

ja308
06-01-2010, 10:51 AM
The original question.
I think CRPA needs a shakeup--I have met 1 board member (shared a table) at fundraiser . He knew almost nothing about gun culture and even less of America's laws
doofus americanis -I think their called . That being said ,I still recruit for them (CRPA)
ja308

jdberger
06-01-2010, 12:04 PM

The TFH hat article was retracted. In a way, it was a good thing. The following 3 or 4 articles in The Firing Line were from Oaklander and Hoffmang. IIRC they covered How to own an AR/AK in CA and the McDonald case/Incorporation.

As far as the "board member's" comments, he's taken ownership of them. I disagree with his comments, too - but I refuse to let the perfect be the enemy of the good. I find that I rarely agree with EVERYTHING other people say, heck, sometimes I even disagree with myself.

Of course, the best way to steer CRPA toward your beliefs is to become a member and vote in the elections. ;)

Please join. Please sign a petition.

Join us. We're changing California.

wildhawker
06-01-2010, 1:36 PM
Of course, the best way to steer CRPA toward your beliefs is to become a member and vote in the elections. ;)

This is exactly correct and timely.

We want something? Let's go make it happen.

berto
06-01-2010, 1:41 PM
I joined at the behest of folks on this board. I'm happy with the direction. Please join us in the fight.