PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x54 spam can fun fact.

N_S
03-18-2010, 5:30 PM
I don't even know if this warrants a thread but I bought a spam can of Bulgarian 7.62x54mmR a long time ago and I finally opened it up. One neat thing I found inside is a slip of paper with a black box on it, inside this box it reads:

сортировчица 2199

упаковчица No1025

невесчица No2773

укладчица No976

закатчик No13

You may have bought a similar can and wondered what these words mean. Well wonder no more!
Fun fact #1
They're actually the people who handled your ammo.
It translates to something like this:

Sorter (Person who sorts out defective rounds)

Packer (Person who puts the bullets into the white boxes)

Weigher (I'm actually not 100% sure about this translation)

Stuffer/Packer (I'm guessing the person who puts the white boxes into the can)

Sealer/Loader (person who seals can or loads it in a crate, maybe both)

Fun fact #2
In Cyrillic languages a person's designation has a gender that changes depending on the gender of the person occupying that role. In this case everyone who's role ends with "чица" is female and everyone who's role ends with "чик" is male.

Also the Russian alphabet translated phonetically.
абвгдеёжзийклмнопрстуфхцчшщъыьэюя
A B V G D E YO ZHE Z I IY K L M N O P R S T OO F TSE CHE SH SHYE
(Hard sign, no pronunciation only used in syntax) (ы is pronounced like a messed up I but seldom used by itself, usually in a context of some kind) (Soft sign, no pronunciation only used in syntax)
And lastly U and Y

So now you know. If your spam can had rounds that have split cases you should blame сортировчица #whatever the first number you see on that list is. :D

I wonder if anyone here who has bought Bulgarian 7.62x54r from a SPAM can had it handled by the same people. If the numbers on your piece of paper match that is in fact the case.

858casper858
03-18-2010, 9:16 PM
Wow, that is pretty interesting, thanks for taking the time to figure that out. I don't have one if those spam cans but cool info none the less.

AngryPossum
03-18-2010, 9:29 PM
Almost makes me want too open my other can's to look, but I don't think I'll be doing that any time soon:rolleyes:

rojocorsa
03-18-2010, 9:33 PM
I love 7.62x54R

joefrank64k
03-18-2010, 9:44 PM
I love 7.62x54R

Darn straight! :D

Plywood
03-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Awesome! I saved that little tag from my can. my numbers are 3948, 5011, 2773, 976. looks like the same people packed the paper boxes. Very cool

N_S
03-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Wow, that is pretty interesting, thanks for taking the time to figure that out. I don't have one if those spam cans but cool info none the less.
This is one of the few times my Russian came in handy. I just opened up the box, read the tag and figured somebody else here might have seen these tags and wondered what purpose they serve.

Say if anyone wants anything else that's in Russian vaguely translated I can probably do it.

NaughtyMonkey
03-19-2010, 12:29 AM
I was planning on getting a spam can and thanks for the information. Pretty cool stuff there. Thanks for the share.

7.62x54R
03-19-2010, 1:44 AM
I love 7.62x54R

Thanks makes me feel appreciated

Good info never knew what those little papers said.

justMike
03-19-2010, 9:45 AM
N S, can any of us access the cyrillic alphabet on our computers?
If so could you tell us how? Thanks for your interesting post.

N_S
03-19-2010, 9:51 AM
N S, can any of us access the cyrillic alphabet on our computers?
If so could you tell us how? Thanks for your interesting post.
I just copied it off here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_alphabet

My keyboard isn't set up to switch between Russian and English so I just took a while to copy/paste the letters in the right order to form words. It's still easy for me because I know Russian almost as well as I know English.

JohnBrian
03-20-2010, 7:18 PM
Say if anyone wants anything else that's in Russian vaguely translated I can probably do it.
Know any cuss words? :43:

N_S
03-20-2010, 9:01 PM

Only a couple, I was only 6 when I moved stateside. People generally try not to bust out the worst of their vocabulary in front of a 6 year old.

pogo
03-20-2010, 9:03 PM
A few years ago I started a thread on gunboards.com asking for Russian curse words, looking for the proper response to those at the range who enjoy telling me that my Mosins are inferior junk.

Folks there gave some good answers (before the thread was locked), some milder ones were.
Tee - you are
sA-bA-kA - a dog
SooKa - B word
sookin sin - SOB
sookov sini - SOBs
Doo-Rak - fool
ee-Dee-Ot - idiot

I can't print the racier expressions and translations here, but some good ones can be found at
http://www.insults.net/html/swear/russian.html

These may not all be accurate, but they served my purpose well.

Some Stalin and Kruschev era political slams can be found at
http://www.cyberussr.com/rus/insults.html

JohnBrian
03-21-2010, 2:06 AM
Thanks!

weezil_boi
03-28-2010, 8:39 PM
very cool. Im tagging this for later

rojocorsa
03-30-2010, 2:00 PM
I just messed with my keyboard settings a long time ago (on the control panel, I think) I can type it. It does take some getting used to, though. For example, if you press a certain key for a certain letter, you won't get the Cyrillic equivalent as the Cyrillic keyboard doesn't have a QWERTY layout.

Vepr62
03-30-2010, 2:56 PM
Those translations are not accurate, but word-for-word translation would not make sense for you guys. Old "windows" used to have phonetic keyboard for russian/ukrainian language about 10 years ago but new versions won't support it. I work for a school district with about 45% of russian/ukrainian kids and I used to type a lot. Now they sub-contract those services, and there are not as many newcomers to the states as before. If you need anything translated let me know. Want to communicate with your russian mail order girlfriend? I canhelp you out for a small fee.... LOL

Spokoynoi nochi, malyshi.

Vash dyadya Vasya

rojocorsa
03-30-2010, 5:54 PM
Who is unlce Vasya? And what of the night?