PDA

View Full Version : Waffenfabrik Steyr Model 1907 - clean up and value?

djleisure
03-18-2010, 2:42 PM
My father-in-law recently pulled out this old Steyr that has been passed down in his family since the first world war. We suspect it was a bring-back from his great grandfather, but he is going to ask his mother and see if she remembers anything more specific about where this came from.

So, I have done a little research on the model and have come back with some basics, like this:
DESCRIPTION: Interesting early Austro-Hungarian semi-automatic pistol. The pistol was designed by Karel Krnka in the early years of the 20th Century. The prototype was build in 1904. Consequently, it was patented by Karel Krnka and Georg Roth. Georg Roth was an employer of Karel Krnka at the time, hence he became a co-owner of patent rights. Since Georg Roth did not have a gun factory (he was an ammo maker), the production was set up at the Waffenfabrik Steyr. Initially, the pistol was offered on the commercial market as "Roth Steyr M.1905". In 1907, the pistol was adopted by Austro-Hungarian cavalry as "Model 1907". The pistols of this type were widely used during the World War One. Manufactured by Waffenfabrik Steyr in 1909, as indicated by markings on the frame of the pistol. The back of the frame displays Austro-Hungarian proof marks, "W-n, Double Head Eagle, 09".

The few I have seen for sale range from $1500-$1800(collectiblefirearms.com (http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/PistolsSteyr.html))

The gun is in pretty good shape, but I would like to clean it up a bit. The problem is, I always hear about idiots that go to clean up an old gun and completely ruin the value/collectibility of the gun. The barrel looks pretty dirty, but I can't tell if it's pitting or dirt - what would be an okay substance to run down it? Hoppes bore cleaner okay?

Finally, my father-in-law is trying to figure out if he wants to hang on to it, or sell it - anyone here interested in this? The action and firing mechanism work just fine, so I kind of just want to clean up the external appearance.

...and some pics of the actual gun!

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/IMG_8371.jpg

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/IMG_8369.jpg

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/IMG_8374.jpg

http://i1006.photobucket.com/albums/af189/dj_leisure/IMG_8376.jpg

sigfan91
03-18-2010, 3:07 PM
You can't really do any harm to the barrel by using Hoppes. Make sure you use a brass brush, or even a nylon/polymer brush. Wipe all surfaces using Hoppes and then dry with clean cotton cloth. I would use some nice gun grease like Slide Glide or Weapon Shield on internal parts that have metal to metal contact. Wipe all surfaces (that doesn't have grease) with cotton cloth and gun oil.

Are you sure you want to sell this? It's already 100 years old and will make a nice family heirloom.

djleisure
03-18-2010, 4:17 PM
You can't really do any harm to the barrel by using Hoppes. Make sure you use a brass brush, or even a nylon/polymer brush. Wipe all surfaces using Hoppes and then dry with clean cotton cloth. I would use some nice gun grease like Slide Glide or Weapon Shield on internal parts that have metal to metal contact. Wipe all surfaces (that doesn't have grease) with cotton cloth and gun oil.

Are you sure you want to sell this? It's already 100 years old and will make a nice family heirloom.
Cool - thanks for the info! ...and I agree that it has been in his family for a long time, but I think since he doesn't really know the story behind it, he isn't very connected to it.... but like I said, he is just thinking about it, we'll see!

SVT-40
03-18-2010, 4:55 PM
The Roth Steyr M.1907 Is very collectible. As far as cleaning is concerned. Just do routine cleaning and oiling and you will be fine. There appears to be a bit of rust inside the safety recess. It would be best to remove the rust with a bit of brass wool and re oil / grease before reassembly. Any exterior rust should be removed in the same way.

When "cleaning" these very valuable weapons remember "less is more" Do nothing to "Improve" just mitigate any red rust, clean the bore and leave the rest alone.

The only issue to selling such a fine firearm is finding the "right" buyer so you get full value.

About a year ago I sold an original holster in mint condition for a Roth Steyr M.1907. As I remember it lasted about 30 Min on Ebay when a Dr. in Florida bought it at it's "buy it now" price of $850.00

djleisure
03-18-2010, 5:21 PM
Thanks! More great info! I see that rust spot you're talking about - that's actually the "slide" (bolt?) release and it doesn't look nearly as bad in person. But yeah, good call on gently removing and mitigating any rust on the gun.

Also, thanks for that info on the holster you sold - that's an expensive piece of leather! (I assume it was leather) I wish I had the original holster, unfortunately it is being stored in a GI holster from the Korean war right now.

campperrykid
03-18-2010, 5:33 PM
Get some Kroil from Brownell's or where ever. It is a penetrating oil and gentle cleaner that will get under rust and literally ( over time ) lift it right off.
If the pistol is a bring-back , it can be worth significant money if it's not hurt by over zealous cleaning. Go slow , study up and protect from further rust & damage.

Do no harm.
ETA:
And get a good quality protective case for the handgun -- leather holsters can draw moisture & cause damage. Dirty leather can cause finish wear.

tunder
03-18-2010, 10:43 PM
That's a beauty from the most interesting period(1890-1910) of pistol development.
I agree with lightly clean and oil and get it out of the holster.

djleisure
03-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the input! I have started to gently clean things off and it's really starting to look like a nice pistol (and a very nice piece of history indeed!) Good call on not keeping it in a holster - I'll grab a better case for it and find some silica to throw in there...

gedave321
04-29-2013, 1:27 PM
I, too, have a waffenfabrik roth 1907. I am seeking to find a buyer for this rare hand gun. The gun is the exact same model as in the pictures above. I can send actual pics to whomever wishes to see it. If interested, please email me at: thecalhoons@spii.net.