PDA

View Full Version : Getting Walmart to stock ammo in Alameda County stores

Steyr_223
03-17-2010, 6:17 PM
As you may know Walmart has great prices on ammo, however only some stores carry ammo these days. They have a sporting dept but no ammo, do we know why?

The Alameda County stores use to carry ammo until a few years ago, Union City for sure. What made them stop selling ammo? I tried talking to the managers and Walmart corporate but so far no answers..

Is there some county ordinance? Is this voluntary on their part? The Milpitas Walmart just south of Alameda county carries ammo.. The Big 5's and many gun stores in Alameda county carry ammo..

ChuckBooty
03-17-2010, 6:26 PM
I think it's a case of the gun stores buying it all up and selling for triple the price. I know for a FACT that the Shootist in Murrieta does that (got that straight from the manager of the sports department at the Murrieta Walmart). I'm betting that this is a pretty wide spread practice.

thedrickel
03-17-2010, 6:35 PM
It is, but the reason Walmart doesn't sell ammo in Alameda county is purely political . . . the people in power dont want "them" to be able to get ammo easily.

Wild Squid
03-17-2010, 8:28 PM
It's a Alameda County ordinance or something, not sure, but I'm sure Walmart would stock and sell ammo in the county if they could.

Ding126
03-17-2010, 8:32 PM
Sac county or sac city have a something where a couple of walmarts dont sell ammo..then you drive a few exits away and that wally world does

mroels
03-17-2010, 8:38 PM
From what i've been told by walmart employees, the store general manager is the one who decides whether or not they carry ammunition.

berto
03-17-2010, 8:44 PM
It's a county ordinance.

Walmart doesn't sell ammo in Contra Costa either. They traded ammo sales for zoning for new stores.

BigDogatPlay
03-17-2010, 9:01 PM
And the Sacramento thing has to do with City of Sacramento's ammo registration (AB962-like before AB962 was done) requirement more than anything else.

AB962 will end handgun ammo sales at all Walmarts all over the state... if it goes into effect.

Steyr_223
03-17-2010, 9:31 PM
It's a county ordinance.

Walmart doesn't sell ammo in Contra Costa either. They traded ammo sales for zoning for new stores.

If it' a county ordinance, what is the ordinance number or code? Also, it does not make sense since Big 5 and gun stores (Irvington Arms, Traders, Bulls Eye Castro Valley) sell ammo in Alameda county still.

Is it an ordinance affecting Walmart stores?

Again many theories but what is the truth?

lazyworm
03-17-2010, 9:40 PM
I don't know why, but I'd point out, IIRC, they stopped selling WAY before the '08 election.

berto
03-17-2010, 10:28 PM
If it' a county ordinance, what is the ordinance number or code? Also, it does not make sense since Big 5 and gun stores (Irvington Arms, Traders, Bulls Eye Castro Valley) sell ammo in Alameda county still.

Is it an ordinance affecting Walmart stores?

Again many theories but what is the truth?

I can't find an ordinance for Alameda County. Alameda County might have made the same deal made by Contra Costa County. An ordinance we can fight. Walmart making a decision to trade the ability to open stores in exchange for not selling ammo is tougher for us to change.

Steyr_223
03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Walmart Corporation's response to my email..

Thank you for your message.

Dear xxxxx,

Thank you for contacting us about the availability of ammunition in our stores. We have seen an unanticipated higher demand in ammo this year verses last in some areas. As with all products where demand is high, we work with suppliers to replenish stores as quickly as they possibly can.

We apologize for the inconvenience of not having the product you seek in stock, but know we are aware and are working on the issue, and we hope you check back with the store.

So that we may better serve all customers, we sometimes will place a limit on a the amount of a product that can be purchased, where demand is high. In some locations we are placing this limit on ammunition (six per customer) for a period until our suppliers can better fulfill orders.

We can not speculate why there is a higher demand in ammo this year, verses last.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care

For further correspondence regarding this issue, please reply to this email.

----Your Original Comments Were----

Hello Walmart,Loyal customer here. Question why is it that Walmart stores in Alameda County (Fremont or Union City specifically ) no longer sell ammo for pistols or rifles?The Milpitas store just to the south in Santa Clara county does sell ammo.Is there anyway to reverse this? You folks have the best prices for ammo but the Milpitas store is often sold out or just inconvenient.Thanks! xxx xxxxxx

-----------------------------------------
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed. If you have received this email in error destroy it
immediately.
Wal-Mart Confidential