PDA

View Full Version : Older Marlin 39A and C&R???

03fatboy
03-17-2010, 2:05 PM
Hello, hopefully someone in the know can help me with this!

I have a Marlin 39A Pre-Mountie that dates to 1954, so it is +50 years old. I'm thinking about selling here on the boards and wondering what the process is? Can I sell directly to an of age individual (18)? Is there certain paperwork required, etc...? Do I need to do the transfer with a FFL dealer? How do I responsibly do this?

I would appreciate some guidance to keep myself out of trouble.

Thanks for your help!

bigthaiboy
03-17-2010, 2:53 PM
Currently, any long gun manufactured before 1959 can be sold face to face without going through an FFL. When you meet the buyer you can ask if there is any reason which would prohibit the buyer from buying this firearm, ie. felony conviction, restraining order, mental illness, use of drugs etc. (same reasons as on the 4473 form). If you really want to CYA, get them to sign a statement stating they are not prohibited for any of the above reasons, although there is no legal requirement for you to do so.

If the answer is no, just ask the buyer for their CA driver's license. Check they are over 18, and write down their CDL details including the CDL number, for your records. Take cash. Job done.

Alexjr1967
03-17-2010, 3:17 PM
^^^ This

I personally ask for a copy of CA DL. exchange ... and thats that

03fatboy
03-17-2010, 3:29 PM
Fantastic, Much Thanks