PDA

View Full Version : Traveling to Frontsight from Washington?

Friar_Tuck
03-17-2010, 12:59 PM
I'll be attending frontsight next month with my buddy from washington state. the plan is for him to drive down here to CA and from there we go together in my RV. I just thought of something- he can't legally bring his normal capacity magazines into CA can he? Is there anyway for him to ship the mags to front sight or any onther ideas? Would it be best/safest just to bring no mags, buy some new ones in NV then he could just ship them back to the free state he lives? Or does interstate commerce protect him as he's driving through?

Untamed1972
03-17-2010, 1:03 PM
just have him disassemble them into parts and transport them that way and he will be fine.

wildhawker
03-17-2010, 1:54 PM
Also, make sure he doesn't bring in any AWs.

Shotgun Man
03-17-2010, 2:28 PM
Also, make sure he doesn't bring in any AWs.

Although if they are not listed, he may remove the uppers and be good to go.

CHS
03-17-2010, 3:37 PM
In this case, I would say that UPS is your friend.

Front sight will have no problems accepting a package for your friend so that all his stuff is there waiting for him.

MP301
03-17-2010, 4:53 PM
IIRC, interstate you supposed too be able to transport anything legal in your state...from your state to another state.... as long as it is legal in the state you will end up in. But that means not stopping for anything other then gas.

I dont knpow the exact section in federal law, but someone will be along to add to this im sure...I dont know if I would take the chance of a listed AW in CA even with this provision, but you might want to becuase it is legal......

Friar_Tuck
03-17-2010, 5:10 PM
Thanks guys, I didnt think about the disassembly option. I hadn't thought about the rifle either, but we're only doing the pistol class this time. we may do the rifle class later if we like the pistol, I know he has a Bushmaster so the disassembly route (for the bushy) for travel through CA won't be legal right?

Friar_Tuck
03-17-2010, 5:13 PM
IIRC, interstate you supposed too be able to transport anything legal in your state...from your state to another state.... as long as it is legal in the state you will end up in. But that means not stopping for anything other then gas.

I dont know the exact section in federal law, but someone will be along to add to this im sure...I dont know if I would take the chance of a listed AW in CA even with this provision, but you might want to becuase it is legal......

prolly not worth the risk, maybe if he drove his truck straight through with WA plates he'd be ok but since we plan to transfer to my KA vehicle the bushy's a definite no-go.

LCU1670
03-28-2010, 1:11 PM
I looked at the book, "How to Legally Own a Gun in Calf...." you should be safe, but if you are worried, take it apart. A dissambled AW is not an AW, its parts (if I read the section correctly). Magazines-definately take them apart, and you will be safe.

rct442
03-28-2010, 2:32 PM
I looked at the book, "How to Legally Own a Gun in Calf...." you should be safe, but if you are worried, take it apart. A dissambled AW is not an AW, its parts (if I read the section correctly). Magazines-definately take them apart, and you will be safe.

Not unless it's listed by name. If it is listed by name (eg: Colt AR15, Bushmaster XM15, DPMS Panther & etc.) then even if you remove the upper, it's still a unregistered AW.

If it is banned by SB23 "evil features", then it's legal to separate the upper/lower.

Please don't spread FUD. If you don't know check the AW flowchart above^^^

KylaGWolf
03-28-2010, 3:06 PM
I nope you have a great time at front sight. I had the good fortune of meeting a lot of the instructors and had a great time with the pistol course. Ship the stuff in question, safer that way. Saddle West has an RV park.

Bend
03-28-2010, 3:56 PM
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/usc_sec_18_00000926---A000-.html

U.S. Code TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 >

926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

ETA: Print it out and keep a copy on your person and with the firearm.

CHS
03-29-2010, 6:45 AM
Not unless it's listed by name. If it is listed by name (eg: Colt AR15, Bushmaster XM15, DPMS Panther & etc.) then even if you remove the upper, it's still a unregistered AW.

Nope.

If it's banned by name it just can't be semi-automatic.

If you remove the upper from the lower, it's no longer a semi-automatic firearm, and becomes legal.

It's not a tactic you want to push, but that is the law.

JDay
03-29-2010, 12:24 PM

Peaceable journey law. Making a stop in CA is not advisable. You are also allowed to stop in a state on the way overnight, you just aren't allowed to make an extended stay in the state. I.E. you can stop for gas, food and to sleep but that's it.

TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I - CRIMES

CHAPTER 44 - FIREARMS

-HEAD-

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

-STATUTE-

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or

regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any

person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from

transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to

transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he

may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place

where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during

such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the

firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible

or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such

transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle

without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the

firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container

other than the glove compartment or console.