PDA

View Full Version : My Fly Rod is Broken -Repairs in Bay Area?

gunnerdan
03-17-2010, 12:12 PM
My tip got smashed either by my car or some negligent operator.

Anyone know where it can be repaired in the Bay Area? It's not totally broken, just bent enough to where it doesn't fly straight. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

edwardm
03-17-2010, 5:31 PM
What's the make? Most of the better manufacturers will fix 'em free of charge, your fault or not.

My tip got smashed either by my car or some negligent operator.

Anyone know where it can be repaired in the Bay Area? It's not totally broken, just bent enough to where it doesn't fly straight. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

gunnerdan
03-17-2010, 9:49 PM
thanks for the tip. it's a pflueger -which is no orvis. we'll see what they say...

Gizmos
03-18-2010, 8:20 AM
If u have no luck with the manufature, rod tips are easy to fix usually. I wrap my own guides and can give you some links to show u how to do that too. Tips generally just need to be heated off and a replacement slipped on along with a little tip glue stick and thats it.

gunnerdan
03-18-2010, 11:13 AM
So I looked at the Pflueger site and it's a no-go on a free fix from them. I'll probably have to do it myself unless i want to send the whole rod into them. It's 10 years old so they probably don't even make it anymore. Not sure it's worth the risk to send it in and end up with a random rod as a replacement.

Gizmos, you have PM :)

Santa Cruz Armory
03-18-2010, 12:34 PM
Check out Ralston Rods and Tackle in Scott's Valley. Tell Perry Rocky sent you.
831-440-0700

gunnerdan
03-18-2010, 2:53 PM
thanks for the tip. ralston is a reasonable travel distance

Gizmos
03-19-2010, 9:50 AM
Rod Rack in Hayward is also a great place, they sell blanks, guides, etc., and they can easily fix it for you. These guys build rods to order. This is most likely the easiest way to do it since they can size the right tip if you bring the rod in and I doubt they would even charge you for putting it on unless you want it wrapped also. If you still want links on how 2 do the repairs yourself, I can find 'em. But from experience, you need to size the guide properly. You can also take this opportunity to upgrade that guide to a much better one....should help with casting quite a bit.

gunnerdan
03-19-2010, 2:12 PM
^ you're probably right about it being easier to get it done.

i gotta go up there in a couple weeks anyway. i'll call ahead and maybe they can do it while i wait.

thanks!