PDA

View Full Version : Oakland Residents: Chance to Speak To Chief Batts About Gun Control - Tonight!

oaklander
03-17-2010, 11:16 AM
If you live in Oakland, and are concerned about crime, and Oakland's heavy-handed attempt to curb crime via "gun control" - make your voices heard tonight!!!

Here is the event:

Join Us for a Continuing Discussion of Community Policing in Oakland with Police Chief Anthony Batts & Our Neighborhood Councils
Wednesday, March 17, 6:30-9 pm
Greek Orthodox Church Auditorium
4700 Lincoln Avenue

More details here:
http://kevinthomason.blogspot.com/2010/03/repost-email-from-oakland-city-council.html

I know this is short notice, but if you can make it - please post in this thread so we can coordinate. I expect a LOT of anti-gunners to be at this meeting, and we need to let the Oakland City Council, and Chief Batts, know that there are law-abiding Oakland gun owners too.

jdberger
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Sorry, Oak. I can't make this one.

Some stuff from the OCC meeting that might be useful, though:

Police Chief Batts has stated on more than one occasion that 1% of the population of Oakland is committing 90% of the crimes.

Department Spokesman, Jeff Thomason agreed, stating, "Instead of blanket suppression that can disrupt the lives of John Q. Public, we need to do our homework, target individuals creating the problems and go after them."

Studies agree, uniformly showing that murderers aren’t ordinary law abiding people. They’re highly aberrant individuals characterized by felony records, alcohol and drug abuse, and life histories of irrational violence against those around them.

CCWFacts
03-17-2010, 11:24 AM
Wow, I wish I could be there. If I hit the road right now I would almost make it...

oaklander
03-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Just sent Chief Batts an email, saying that I look forward to meeting him and discussing ways to make Oakland safer.

Purple K
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
I'll have to go with a maybe for now.

Purple K
03-17-2010, 11:30 AM
Wow, I wish I could be there. If I hit the road right now I would almost make it...

Drive faster! Oaklander will represent you in traffic court.

oaklander
03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
I know this is a lot of stuff for many of us. It's almost becoming a full-time job to keep up with these meetings and stuff. I am very glad that my "day job" allows me to work flexible hours.

Tonight, I was soooo looking forward to going home early and sleeping!

Purple - if you can't make it - no problem - I know you've been going non-stop on this stuff since last week!!!

sbrady@Michel&Associates
03-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Attending back to back events full of anti-gunners, you are a brave man Oak. They are asking for "Community Policing" from a group of people they do not even trust enough to possess firearms. I wonder if they are going to suggest whistles and cell phones instead of guns. Works in England, right?

oaklander
03-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Those were the Guardian Angels - http://oakland.guardianangels.org/

Been quiet for a couple of years. They tended to stick to nicer areas when they DID patrol.

Oakland does have a group with whistles. They wear red jacked, think they call themselves Guardians or something like that. I believe they are affiliated with a local church.

oaklander
03-17-2010, 12:05 PM
I am a glutton for punishment. I think I will leave my "day job" early today so I can go home and take a nap!

I was up last night until 3am!

I think the sad part of this is that the people (activists) who come to these events tend to be "anti-gun" - but I have talked to many people in my local 'hood, and the sense I get from them is that they think that guns in the home are a good thing.

A neighbor was "home invaded" several months ago. Next day he was asking how to legally acquire a pistol.

I was talking to another one of my neighbors. He is a older black man. I told him that I had noticed that I could walk around the 'hood at all hours of the day or night with zero problems. He went into a very detailed and thoughtful analysis of why this was true. I can't go into details here for OPSEC reasons, but I can tell you that it has to do with perceptions.

Attending back to back events full of anti-gunners, you are a brave man Oak. They are asking for "Community Policing" from a group of people they do not even trust enough to possess firearms. I wonder if they are going to suggest whistles and cell phones instead of guns. Works in England, right?

putput
03-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Reminded me of this quote "a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged."

I am a glutton for punishment. I think I will leave my "day job" early today so I can go home and take a nap!

I was up last night until 3am!

I think the sad part of this is that the people (activists) who come to these events tend to be "anti-gun" - but I have talked to many people in my local 'hood, and the sense I get from them is that they think that guns in the home are a good thing.

A neighbor was "home invaded" several months ago. Next day he was asking how to legally acquire a pistol.

I was talking to another one of my neighbors. He is a older black man. I told him that I had noticed that I could walk around the 'hood at all hours of the day or night with zero problems. He went into a very detailed and thoughtful analysis of why this was true. I can't go into details here for OPSEC reasons, but I can tell you that it has to do with perceptions.

oaklander
03-17-2010, 4:21 PM
Change of plans. . .

Will pursue Plan B instead - network with my city council person to get personal one-on-one meeting with Chief Batts.

383green
03-17-2010, 4:27 PM

LOCing a pit bull gives the perception of somebody not to be messed with. ;)

oaklander
03-17-2010, 4:41 PM
I think she's adorable, but mileage may vary, depending on one's personal experience with dogs!

LOCing a pit bull gives the perception of somebody not to be messed with. ;)

http://i42.tinypic.com/2rn7kuq.jpg

383green
03-17-2010, 4:48 PM
I bet she's a sweetie. That collar looks pretty nasty, though.

dunndeal
03-17-2010, 4:50 PM
I'll be there.

oaklander
03-17-2010, 4:54 PM
Yes, she only feels it if she pulls. It was standard procedure to use a pinch collar like that when I was doing PB rescue. It's actually safer for the dog (http://books.google.com/books?id=4lJ_3WXhVfgC&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=dog+pinch+collar+european+study&source=bl&ots=Pylczjz5v2&sig=e-cGGivDajQcEiII11oUxZmtHNA&hl=en&ei=UGuhS8-2MoqcsgO68LD6Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false), since it distributes the load around the circumference of her neck. PB's have been known to crush their windpipes with standard collars and especially "choke chains." They have a high pain resistance, and will hurt themselves and not even care.

I bet she's a sweetie. That collar looks pretty nasty, though.

383green
03-17-2010, 4:59 PM
A friend once told me that well-behaved pit bulls can be especially good with little kids, since they aren't as prone to feel pain and act defensively if the kids pull their tails, or do any of the other wacky stuff that kids do.

tba02
03-17-2010, 8:22 PM
Yes, she only feels it if she pulls. It was standard procedure to use a pinch collar like that when I was doing PB rescue. It's actually safer for the dog (http://books.google.com/books?id=4lJ_3WXhVfgC&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=dog+pinch+collar+european+study&source=bl&ots=Pylczjz5v2&sig=e-cGGivDajQcEiII11oUxZmtHNA&hl=en&ei=UGuhS8-2MoqcsgO68LD6Aw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBMQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=&f=false), since it distributes the load around the circumference of her neck. PB's have been known to crush their windpipes with standard collars and especially "choke chains." They have a high pain resistance, and will hurt themselves and not even care.

+100000000000000000
Having a pit mix rescue as my friend and daily companion, I can concur.

dunndeal
03-17-2010, 9:44 PM
Tonight's appearanc by OPD Chief Anthony Batts was a community meeting to present OPD strategy to implement their crime reduction goals and to enhance the level of trust between the Department and the citizens of Oakland. He only mentioned the word "guns" once during a power point presentation.

Shotgun Man
03-17-2010, 9:52 PM
Reminded me of this quote "a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged."

Which reminds me of the corollary to that quote-- a civil libertarian is a conservative who has been indicted.

I hope the meeting went well.

oaklander
03-18-2010, 1:39 AM
Excellent! Thank you for showing up. We need to reach out to him and establish a relationship. I am working on that right now.

Tonight's appearanc by OPD Chief Anthony Batts was a community meeting to present OPD strategy to implement their crime reduction goals and to enhance the level of trust between the Department and the citizens of Oakland. He only mentioned the word "guns" once during a power point presentation.