PDA

View Full Version : Smith & Wesson M&P 9, removing the magazine disconnector switch legality?

POLICESTATE
03-16-2010, 2:07 PM
This ugly, plastic, toy-look-alike gun features a magazine disconnector swtich in it (will not fire if magazine is not inserted).

While the law requires new guns to have them, I can't find a law forbidding the modification or even outright removal of them.

Anyone else look into this?

Why do I want to do this? I don't, a friend of mine (no rolly eyes pls) wants to get one (I myself wouldn't buy this gun, I like my guns to be METAL) and they want to use in IPSC competitions and she's too lazy to post the question herself. :rolleyes:

Untamed1972
03-16-2010, 2:08 PM
So how do you really feel about M&Ps?

POLICESTATE
03-16-2010, 2:09 PM
So how do you really feel about M&Ps?

Didn't want anyone to get the wrong impression that I would buy one :)

bwiese
03-16-2010, 2:34 PM
1.) S&W M&P are great guns. Dissing them shows ignorance. They're the in the same league as Glocks, HK USPs and
other similar synthetic guns.

2.) It's perfectly legal to remove things like mag discos, LCIs, change calibers, convert action styles, etc. You just can't modify into illegal
configurations (AW, full auto, SBR, chamber shotgun shells, have an unrifled barrel, etc.)

If you do resell the gun in CA after modding it will have to be via PPT; a CA FFL won't (or shouldn't) buy it for inventory as it will have lost its Rostered status due to mods away from what was originally approved.

Crovax
03-16-2010, 3:05 PM
Funny, I was looking for the same thing today. Check this link out:

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm

POLICESTATE
03-16-2010, 3:06 PM
Thanks for all that info Bill, didn't know about restrictions on un-rifled barrels, raised both of our eyebrows over here. Well I suppose they will buy their M&P.

For the record, I don't like any synthetic frame guns, I used to be a Glock nut back when they came out (who wasn't right?), but then after shooting Sig P series and 1911's and other metal framed guns I just couldn't get back into the plastic.

I like my guns like I like my music: METAL :reddevil:

Untamed1972
03-16-2010, 3:19 PM
I like my guns like I like my music: METAL :reddevil:

I thought you were gonna say "LOUD!!!"

POLICESTATE
03-16-2010, 3:28 PM
I thought you were gonna say "LOUD!!!"

Well my hearing isn't what it used to be so LOUD is not-so-loud for me now. Should have listened to my mother about loud music in headphones...

POLICESTATE
03-16-2010, 3:29 PM
Funny, I was looking for the same thing today. Check this link out:

http://www.burwellgunsmithing.com/M&P2.htm

Nice, I sent that on to my friend.

Glock22Fan
03-16-2010, 4:07 PM
[QUOTE=bwiese;3968080]1.) S&W M&P are great guns. Dissing them shows ignorance. They're the in the same league as Glocks, HK USPs and
other similar synthetic guns.

snip
QUOTE]

All he said was he wouldn't buy one. There's a number of firearms I wouldn't buy, for many different reasons. Doesn't mean I'm disrespecting them! For example, I have a lot of respect for Desert Eagles, particularly in .50 AE. No way will I ever buy one - not unless I win a boatload of money and have already bought another load of firearms I'd like to own. Neither would I guy a Kahr; not because I think that they are rubbish, but because I don't like their anti-Glock advertising "Why buy a Kahr when you could buy a Block?" (Or, did I say that wrong way around :))

liketoshoot
03-16-2010, 4:22 PM
I bought my M&P 45 when they came out and removed my disconnect, works great and is a very reliable handgun.

B Strong
03-16-2010, 7:54 PM
This ugly, plastic, toy-look-alike gun features a magazine disconnector swtich in it (will not fire if magazine is not inserted).

While the law requires new guns to have them, I can't find a law forbidding the modification or even outright removal of them.

Anyone else look into this?

Why do I want to do this? I don't, a friend of mine (no rolly eyes pls) wants to get one (I myself wouldn't buy this gun, I like my guns to be METAL) and they want to use in IPSC competitions and she's too lazy to post the question herself. :rolleyes:

Guys were pulling the mag disconnect out of Browning HP's from the 1960's on, and I've never heard of any legal issue being brought up, other than Massad Ayoob and his "never modify a defense gun" song and dance - which he will not cite evidence to support...

Gryff
03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
All he said was he wouldn't buy one.

No, he said that the M&P was a "ugly, plastic, toy-look-alike gun." That's not the same thing as "I wouldn't buy one."

ErikTheRed
03-17-2010, 4:24 AM
Yo POLICESTATE, I agree with you about 95% of the time. But on this one, no. The M&P .40 is just about my favorite handgun. Great looks, great quality, very comfortable, and super-dependable. Whats not to like?

Waldog
03-17-2010, 8:08 AM
Agree!!! I love my M&P's! I have 3.

It's Glock's I don't like.(Strange grip angle)

The Shadow
03-17-2010, 8:12 AM
Just to let the OP know, the FBI has been removing the mag disconnect from their guns for years. The first ones that I'm aware of go back to the 80's when they were using the S&W model 59, 459, and 659, and I was actually keeping track of this kind of mod.

Glock22Fan
03-17-2010, 8:16 AM
No, he said that the M&P was a "ugly, plastic, toy-look-alike gun." That's not the same thing as "I wouldn't buy one."

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't see where he said the M&P doesn't work, or is a badly constructed, dangerous piece of junk. And he did say he wouldn't buy one.

Aren't there any guns you don't like the looks of? I seem to remember that plastic guns weren't well received by the military either for much the same reasons when the Garand got a bit long in the tooth.

putput
03-17-2010, 8:19 AM
Fixed it for ya... ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder. I don't see where he said the M&P doesn't work, or is a badly constructed, dangerous piece of junk. And he did say he wouldn't buy one.

Aren't there any guns you don't like the looks of? I seem to remember that plastic guns weren't well received by the military either for much the same reasons when the Garand got a bit long in the tooth.

xxsleepyxx
03-17-2010, 10:42 AM
it might void the warranty tho

navyrifleshooter
03-17-2010, 11:01 AM
I know that pulling the Mag disconnect from a BHP inproved the trigger pull, does it do the same for the M&P?

motorhead
03-17-2010, 11:52 AM
on the positive side, they're dishwasher safe.