PDA

View Full Version : factory replacement rifle needs to DROS again

endseeker
03-16-2010, 11:47 AM
Hi board, just one quick question, if I send my rifle back to the factory for a replacement, do I need to re-dros the new rifle?:confused:

thanks,

BONECUTTER
03-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Hi board, just one quick question, if I send my rifle back to the factory for a replacement, do I need to re-dros the new rifle?:confused:

thanks,

New Serial Number = New DROS

Otherwise they can mail it back to you directly.

endseeker
03-16-2010, 12:05 PM
good to know, thanks for the help.

Purple K
03-17-2010, 2:16 AM
New Serial Number = New DROS

Otherwise they can mail it back to you directly.

WRONG! Serial numbers are not listed on DROS for rifles/shotguns. They can ship it direct since it's a repair/replace/exchange, not a sale.

halifax
03-17-2010, 5:27 AM
WRONG! Serial numbers are not listed on DROS for rifles/shotguns. They can ship it direct since it's a repair/replace/exchange, not a sale.

If they will only ship to an FFL, then you are stuck with a DROS & 10-day wait. The FFL cannot just hand it to you.

BONECUTTER
03-17-2010, 5:44 AM

You are wrong.

New serial number means they need to log the transfer through a FFL per BATF laws. If the transfer goes through a CA FFL....it's DROS's regardless of the fact that the DROS system does not log serial numbers for long guns.

A new serial number is a new firearm and must be transfered though an FFL.

GM4spd
03-17-2010, 7:58 AM
You are wrong.

New serial number means they need to log the transfer through a FFL per BATF laws. If the transfer goes through a CA FFL....it's DROS's regardless of the fact that the DROS system does not log serial numbers for long guns.

A new serial number is a new firearm and must be transfered though an FFL.

You have it right. Pete

Mssr. Eleganté
03-20-2010, 12:39 PM
Federal law actually allows for the return of a replacement firearm without it having to go through an FFL on the receiving parties end, as long as the replacement firearm is "of the same kind and type".

§ 922. Unlawful acts

(a) It shall be unlawful --

(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that --

(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector;

It's California law that prohibits an FFL from shipping a replacement firearm to an unlicensed person in California. In California you can receive the same firearm back from the FFL who repaired it, but not a replacement firearm.

§ 120878(e) - (e) Section 12071, subdivisions (c) and (d) of Section 12072, and subdivision (b) of Section 12801 shall not apply to the delivery of a firearm to a gunsmith for service or repair, or to the return of the firearm to its owner by the gunsmith.

sholling
03-20-2010, 2:43 PM
Federal law actually allows for the return of a replacement firearm without it having to go through an FFL on the receiving parties end, as long as the replacement firearm is "of the same kind and type".

It's California law that prohibits an FFL from shipping a replacement firearm to an unlicensed person in California. In California you can receive the same firearm back from the FFL who repaired it, but not a replacement firearm.
This is correct. Replacement rifles may be shipped direct to the owner.

Mssr. Eleganté
03-20-2010, 2:49 PM
This is correct. Replacement rifles may be shipped direct to the owner.

Replacement handguns can be shipped directly to the owner as well (in most other States). But here in California we need to DROS replacement long guns and handguns. I guess if the replacement long gun was a 50+ year old C&R long gun then the out of state FFL could ship it directly to you in California.

Donk310
03-20-2010, 7:56 PM
I don't have a clue. I will be the first to admit.

bohoki
03-20-2010, 11:48 PM
thought it was pistols so it will be registered at dros they had to cut off any loophole that allows a person to have an unregistered pistol besides the grandfathered ones

Maestro Pistolero
03-21-2010, 7:38 AM
When Ruger replaced my LCP they built a new gun with the old serial number, and presumably destroyed the old frame.