PDA

View Full Version : Ben Cannon: case dismissed.

Pages : [1] 2

bwiese
03-16-2010, 10:52 AM
And after that, the court clerk turns to Ben & lawyers and said, "I guess I'll be seeing you in civil court."

Ben: "No, you won't. We'll be in US District Court."

Evidence clearly showed Ben could not have been in the place where he was alleged to have been - he was in Sacto, cellphone tech positioning evidence subpoenaed, plus multiple witnesses.

[Mods, please move this to whatever subforum is most appropriate.]

6172crew
03-16-2010, 10:54 AM
WTF, This chick have 5150 issues?

Good to hear that Ben can clear his name.:)

My understanding is Bens case stays in the 2nd amendment section because he was a CGF officer and GunPals owner.

The Director
03-16-2010, 10:54 AM
That's great news!

Not being a lawyer, I'm not getting the significance of US district court - please clarify...

bwiese
03-16-2010, 10:56 AM
That's great news!

Not being a lawyer, I'm not getting the significance of US district court - please clarify...

The court clerk thought, given the BS of the case, he'd sue civilly and on a local bases.

But you have Fed civil rights violations when arrested for throwing charges around that are vague and specious, etc.

Kestryll
03-16-2010, 10:57 AM
VERY COOL!!!!

bigmike82
03-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Nice.

Congrats Ben!

Theseus
03-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Did I miss other details that may have shed light on this?

Otherwise, congratulations man! I too hope I know the euphoria of being vindicated, especially in a system where it is pretty difficult to get such vindication.

:jump:

Maybe next time we meet I can buy you a drink!

Beetle Bailey
03-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Glad that is settled.

NorCalMama
03-16-2010, 11:01 AM
EXCELLENT!!!

cntrolsguy
03-16-2010, 11:02 AM

blackberg
03-16-2010, 11:02 AM
congratz, and go get um

-bb

Lyte-
03-16-2010, 11:04 AM
so can he clear up what the handcuffs were for now?

greasemonkey
03-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Hahaha, NICE!

n2k
03-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I hope the word goes out to all the other gun boards about this.

Congrats and hope to see the Lifetime movie come out soon with all the details.....;)

NorCalMama
03-16-2010, 11:07 AM

I think Kes had a GREAT explanation for that... I won't get into it. :p

PatriotnMore
03-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Glad it was dismissed. So who was this woman, and why did she make the claims she did?

NorCalMama
03-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Congrats and hope to see the Lifetime movie come out soon with all the details.....;)

Oh no! Those Liftime movies always paint the guy out to be bad... :eek: They have a certain feminazi bias on that channel.

Digital_Boy
03-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Dismissed with or without prejudice? And hell yes, take them out behind the US District Court woodshed and grab the 2X4 with rusty nails for the spanking.

n2k
03-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Oh no! Those Liftime movies always paint the guy out to be bad... :eek: They have a certain feminazi bias on that channel.

That's why there was the wink....;)

Untamed1972
03-16-2010, 11:12 AM
Which case was this? I'm a little behind on my news of late....I've been sick for the last week.

BigDogatPlay
03-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Great news and well played all around. Now hopefully Ben will be getting on with his life, businesses and CGF.

I wonder if the Press Democrat will be publishing as big a story about "case dismissed" as they did with the original arrest?

:lurk5:

N6ATF
03-16-2010, 11:15 AM
WOOOOOO

Criminal charges against false reporter?

PatriotnMore
03-16-2010, 11:18 AM
It would be nice to read a follow up report on who this gal was, and the motivation behind her false accusations.

Great news and well played all around. Now hopefully Ben will be getting on with his life, businesses and CGF.

I wonder if the Press Democrat will be publishing as big a story about "case dismissed" as they did with the original arrest?

:lurk5:

69Mach1
03-16-2010, 11:24 AM
Great news. They chose to pick a fight with the wrong guy.

vrand
03-16-2010, 11:28 AM
:thumbsup:

Theseus
WOOOOOO

Criminal charges against false reporter?

You kidding? The DA or whomever that brought the charges is probably sitting back thinking "another dbag got away because of his influence and money."

You go Ben!

NorCalMama
That's why there was the wink....;)

LOL Sorry, I was having a blonde moment! :p

n2k
Kes has updated AR15.com, thanks....

This needs to go out to all who reported the initial story.

maschronic
03-16-2010, 11:29 AM
great news!!!!!

GuyW
03-16-2010, 11:30 AM
LOL!

I had a level of comfort this was going to end this way....

cortayack
03-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Coool.............Now what happen? Details, we need details...........

Beatone
03-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Good to hear. Go Ben.

calcul8
03-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Congrats

SJgunguy24
03-16-2010, 11:38 AM
I hope the word goes out to all the other gun boards about this.

Yes and some people who go around shooting off about situations they have no details about can retract their statments.

Like in the old days where we would just kick the sh*t out of each other then go have a beer.

Vtec44
03-16-2010, 11:39 AM

What do you think they're for??

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Vr8Xl0cbUZA/SW9j5gBfoFI/AAAAAAAAFuU/cjDtobXRLzs/s400/Image+%3D+pink_fur_handcuffs.jpg

CWM4A1
03-16-2010, 11:40 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/north_bay&id=7276282

I believe this is the case. Sounds like some LE agency is about to get their butt kicked in Federal Court... :lurk5:

Liberty1
03-16-2010, 11:41 AM
link to the origional issue? my google fu is week today and I'm in the dark on this one...

boxbro
03-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Details about the case ?
I don't live and breath calguns but I read here daily and I don't remember hearing anything about this.

n2k
03-16-2010, 11:43 AM
link to the origional issue? my google fu is week today and I'm in the dark on this one...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=269770

ke6guj
03-16-2010, 11:43 AM

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=11&t=397410&page=1
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=999687&page=1

boxbro
03-16-2010, 11:44 AM

I believe this is the case. Sounds like some LE agency is about to get their butt kicked in Federal Court... :lurk5:

"Detectives seized Cannon's silver 2001 BMW and found a police scanner, strobe light, handcuffs and a siren inside"

WHAT!!!???

Liberty1
03-16-2010, 11:45 AM

thanks

Window_Seat
03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Congratulations to Ben, and I hope this never happens again. I knew that there was something that smelled about this, and I'm glad that it's over, and that he can get back to work on this agenda.:thumbsup:

Erik.

JDoe
03-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Congratulations Ben!

It was apparent from the beginning that various forms of justice industry misconduct was occurring. Unfortunately this kind of thing happens everyday and to people who are far less able to defend themselves or even know what is going on.

Best wishes in U.S. District Court, I hope you are able to make this a teachable moment for all of those involved.

CWM4A1
03-16-2010, 11:49 AM
WHAT!!!???

http://fugitive.com/archives/18598

You can see in the comment section where all these allegations were refuted by our bwiese.

boxbro
03-16-2010, 11:52 AM

You can see in the comment section where all these allegations were refuted by our bwiese.

There's no comments to see.
If those allegations were false then did the police lie about what they found in his car ?
If so, this is some scary stuff.

Monte
03-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Wow, this is the first I've read of this. I guess that cellphone data can come in handy sometimes. Congrats, Ben!

CWM4A1
03-16-2010, 11:54 AM
If those allegations were false then did the police lie about what they found in his car ?

Oops, wrong link... try this one.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/02/15/gunpal-ceo-arrested-for-impersonating-a-police-officer/

I think it's more about police not understanding what they found in the car. I mean if it looks like a duck, than it must be a duck, right?

Low-Pressure
03-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Congratulations..... :party::party::party:

boxbro
03-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Oops, wrong link... try this one.

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/02/15/gunpal-ceo-arrested-for-impersonating-a-police-officer/

I think it's more about police not understanding what they found in the car. I mean if it looks like a duck, than it must be a duck, right?

Remember that news reports like this are written by the cops feeding the info to the reporter. His job is easy if he just reports what he’s fed.

Also remember that most reporters are technically incompetent in a variety of areas.

1. $10K bail is way low if they really thought they had something. That kinda bail (for most folks =
$1K to get outta jail, I believe Ben used his black AmEx card to avoid paying bondsman) is just one
step above O.R.

2. No charges filed yet. If there were something, you’d figure it’d've hit by Monday.

3. The “scanner” was not a police scanner – it was a licensed 2-way business band radio for Ben’s other biz.

4. No ‘police lights’ were found in an inventory of Ben’s car. Ben’s car has unusual low-to-ground road lighting.
“Siren”? Um, burglar alarm everyone has.

5. Ben indeed has had numerous encounters with LE in that area for driving matters and is not too popular
with some cops there.

6. Ben would certainly NOT like to be perceived as a cop – that’s kinda a social step-down. Also his Facebook
page, demeanor and human interaction skills and relationships with women are far different from that of
the prototypical $9/hr security guard with a repainted used Crown Victoria and an LE “stranger ranger” fetish.

7. The woman involved making allegations may be one who has tried to contact, multiple times, Ben in relation
to GunPal work, business, etc.

Hell I used to have a roll of FlexCuffs in my old truck toolbox way back from the Rodney Riots days in the 90s.
There’s ammo floating around in it, plus spent brass. I also have some ham gear that looks like a scanner and
does cover some scanner frequencies. That’s it – I’m a cop wannabe!

-Bill Wiese

yellowfin
03-16-2010, 11:59 AM
so can he clear up what the handcuffs were for now?It's for when he asks female lawyers if they want to repeal the NFA.

Spaceghost
03-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Great news!

Just checked out the thread on arf, now I distinctly recall why I only go there for reviews on products and don't hang out. Great job on sticking up for Ben, Kes and Bill!

rkt88edmo
03-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Happy, and yet still very angry.

kaiserworks
03-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Great news! Now, to get to the bottom of why Ben was railroaded?

Was it politically motivated because he is the head of pro-gun .orgs?????

jdberger
03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Yay, Ben!

nick
03-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Excellent. I understand that LEA will be sued for this, that's good, given that he was arrested despite the evidence that he wasn't even there. A false accusation is not supposed to be enough to arrest someone.

Now, what about the false accuser? Please, don't tell me she'll get away with it.

JDoe
03-16-2010, 12:15 PM

The police did not do their job properly for any of a number of possible reasons. Another innocent but easily intimidated person in Ben's place might have plead out to a lesser charge.

Just think what might have happened if Ben didn't have all of the evidence to support his innocence.

madmike
03-16-2010, 12:22 PM
How long 'till we hear about the legal smack down being handed out to those in the wrong here?

-madmike.

Dr Rockso

I doubt that they really lied about what was in the car, but the news story probably took it hugely out of context. I'm sure plenty of us have completely legal things in our vehicles that could be spun to make us look like criminals. Imagine if you had rope, duct tape, flashlights (especially those with a strobe function or 'police flashlights' like Maglite, Streamlight, Surefire, etc), pepper spray, HAM radio equipment, and/or firearms in your car. How do you think the newspaper would write that story?

trashman
Yeah! Congratulations, Ben -- drop the hammer on 'em!

--Neill

trashman
03-16-2010, 12:23 PM
I doubt that they really lied about what was in the car, but the news story probably took it completely out of context.

With a little help from the LE agency in question - they have the lead role in helping frame the case to the public through the news media.

--Neill

boxbro
03-16-2010, 12:24 PM
The police did not do their job properly for any of a number of possible reasons. Another innocent but easily intimidated person in Ben's place might have plead out to a lesser charge.

Just think what might have happened if Ben didn't have all of the evidence to support his innocence.

I now sit an wonder who was trying to frame him ?
This has conspiracy written all over it.

1BigPea
03-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Wow! I'm so glad the case was dismissed. What complete total BS that you had to go through this in the 1st place!

I really hope you do take them to court for damages!

BroncoBob
03-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Just fantastic news. Now to stay tuned for later details.

boxbro
03-16-2010, 12:28 PM
How do you think the newspaper would write that story?

William Randolph Hearst style ?

Reminds me of a Twain quote:

"I am personally acquainted with hundreds of journalists, and the opinion of the majority of them would not be worth tuppence in private, but when they speak in print it is the newspaper that is talking (the pygmy scribe is not visible) and then their utterances shake the community like the thunders of prophecy." — Mark Twain — speech, 2/1873

rkt88edmo
03-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Excellent. I understand that LEA will be sued for this, that's good, given that he was arrested despite the evidence that he wasn't even there. A false accusation is not supposed to be enough to arrest someone.

Now, what about the false accuser? Please, don't tell me she'll get away with it.

If the officers sought him out based on her description and she ID'd him and was wrong, I'm not sure there is much recourse that can be taken against her, assuming that she and Ben are strangers. Now if she knows Ben and still ID'd him...well, I still don't know.

Maestro Pistolero
03-16-2010, 12:34 PM
Mr. Cannon, I do believe we were promised an interesting story . . .

Intimid8tor
03-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Whose going to get the press democrat to write the dismissal article?

97F1504RAD
03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Congratulations Ben!!

cljpj3
03-16-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't see the fuss. The cops acted on what they were told and believed, saw equipment that for whatever-reason they believed to be indicative of the crime they charged Ben with and they arrested him.

People cry "THE JUSTICE SYSTEM DIDNT WORK!"

Well... it did work. The cops made a mistake or bad decision and the next branch cleared that mistake or bad decision (however you wish to look at it) and released an innocent man. To me this means the justice system is working EXACTLY as it's supposed to.

I don't know you Ben, but I'm glad it worked out for you and you're able to move on with your life.

Gio
03-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Glad to hear that, w00t!

-Gio

nick
03-16-2010, 12:43 PM
If the officers sought him out based on her description and she ID'd him and was wrong, I'm not sure there is much recourse that can be taken against her, assuming that she and Ben are strangers. Now if she knows Ben and still ID'd him...well, I still don't know.

Per Bill, she did try to contact him several times before, so she has to know him, or at least of him.

383green
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
This is great news, and I'm pleasantly surprised that it didn't take a lot longer to get to this result. :thumbsup:

BigDogatPlay
03-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Whose going to get the press democrat to write the dismissal article?

The issue of reporting the dismissal has already been pointed out on their discussion board. :)

FWIW... the PeeDee is notoriously lazy in their reporting. On stories like this they simply regurgitate the LEA press release, call it good and even then they mess up the story. Here is the original press release (http://www.sonomasheriff.org/pressroom.php?subaction=showfull&id=1266002041&archive=&start_from=&ucat=&)... compare and contrast with the news story. Looking at their press page, I see no "we fouled up" release... nor would I expect one.

This also would not be the first time some detectives got hoodwinked by a victim's story / ID of the suspect. If this is playing out the way I think it is, I have a hunch there are going to be some very sore orifices in the VCU up on Ventura Ave.

CWatson
03-16-2010, 1:06 PM
Ok, when does the movie come out?

CW

CCWFacts
03-16-2010, 1:07 PM
Congratulations. That's excellent. I always withhold having an opinion until all the facts come out. I'm glad I did. Obviously the woman has 5150 issues. Obviously the cops fell into their cop-psychology of "knowing" who did it, never mind the facts. They would do their jobs better, and serve the public better, if they came in with an attitude of discovering what happened, rather than proving what they "know".

johnthomas
03-16-2010, 1:10 PM
I read this on CG when it first happened. I reserved my comments. It looked like a good arrest. It sounded feasible. I don't know Ben, but I am familiar with the people that came forward to back him up. I trusted in their advice to wait and see. Bill W. You don't know me, but I hope you have my back if I am ever in trouble. After reading the posts and links it is obvious who Ben is and what LE was up to in his case. Too often we read a news report and take it as truth and accept the cop version. This case has taught me a valuable lesson. I am glad Ben is OK, I'm sorry he had to go thru this. I hope his business hasn't suffered because of it. Good luck on the future court cases you are sure to win because of this injustice.

BigDogatPlay
03-16-2010, 1:12 PM
Well... it did work. The cops made a mistake or bad decision and the next branch cleared that mistake or bad decision (however you wish to look at it) and released an innocent man. To me this means the justice system is working EXACTLY as it's supposed to.

Well... yes and no.

Yeah the courts are supposed to clear a mistake or a bad decision. However.... the detectives and the district attorney are not supposed to be so easily spun or convinced when it is at it's a core a "he said, she said". And, presuming for a moment, that they proceeded anyway after being presented exculpatory evidence.... then what?

How's that system work for you?

SteveH
03-16-2010, 1:14 PM
Did he get a written a Declaration of factual innocense from the police or DA?

MonsterMan
03-16-2010, 1:14 PM
Woo Hoo. :)

JDoe
03-16-2010, 1:17 PM
I don't see the fuss. The cops acted on what they were told and believed, saw equipment that for whatever-reason they believed to be indicative of the crime they charged Ben with and they arrested him.

Wrong.

The police have a duty to investigate both sides of any accusation before giving someone an arrest record for the rest of their life. It is clear in this case that the police did not investigate Ben's side of the story before arresting him. It was only after Ben's arrest and subsequent charge that enough investigation was done by the Police and the DA to warrant dropping the charges--because Ben wasn't even freaking there!

It is possible that Ben should have been investigated but his story should have been listened to and then confirmed or disproved by competent impartial investigators. Clearly this did not happen for if it had, Ben would never have been arrested.

The police and the prosecutor will have a lot of explaining to do in U.S. District Court.

Unfortunately Ben will have an arrest record for the rest of his life. Even if it is expunged he will have to disclose that fact in certain situations. It will follow him and haunt him forever.

Ben will also be followed by all of the stories about this incident on the Internet. Some people have decided that Ben was guilty just because he was arrested and charged and defend their decision by saying, "where there is smoke, there is usually fire" or "he wouldn't have been arrested if he hadn't been doing something wrong" or "the police don't arrest innocent people." When Ben walks into a business meeting he'll know that some people have done their research and found this information about him. Some business opportunities will be closed off to Ben because some business people don't want to be associated with someone who has been arrested. Etc.

The system did not work, Ben did all the work and should have never, ever been arrested.

sirnonz
03-16-2010, 1:20 PM
glad everything worked out! now story time

ptoguy2002
03-16-2010, 1:20 PM
Whew [wipes off brow]

odysseus
03-16-2010, 1:22 PM
Good news. How strange and weird this story must be on this lady making the accusation and LE involved. That must be an interesting story with big holes in it. Would love to hear of it sometime.

ptoguy2002
03-16-2010, 1:22 PM
Wrong.

The police have a duty to investigate both sides of any accusation before giving someone an arrest record for the rest of their life. It is clear in this case that the police did not investigate Ben's side of the story before arresting him. It was only after Ben's arrest and subsequent charge that enough investigation was done by the Police and the DA to warrant dropping the charges--because Ben wasn't even freaking there!

It is possible that Ben should have been investigated but his story should have been listened to and then confirmed or disproved by competent impartial investigators. Clearly this did not happen for if it had, Ben would never have been arrested.

The police and the prosecutor will have a lot of explaining to do in U.S. District Court.

Unfortunately Ben will have an arrest record for the rest of his life. Even if it is expunged he will have to disclose that fact in certain situations. It will follow him and haunt him forever.

Ben will also be followed by all of the stories about this incident on the Internet. Some people have decided that Ben was guilty just because he was arrested and charged and defend their decision by saying, "where there is smoke, there is usually fire" or "he wouldn't have been arrested if he hadn't been doing something wrong" or "the police don't arrest innocent people." When Ben walks into a business meeting he'll know that some people have done their research and found this information about him. Some business opportunities will be closed off to Ben because some business people don't want to be associated with someone who has been arrested. Etc.

The system did not work, Ben did all the work and should have never, ever been arrested.

But, yeah, that whole part of it sucks...

RomanDad
03-16-2010, 1:27 PM
Good news...

Mstrty
03-16-2010, 1:34 PM
Without further delay as a GUNPAL user myself I demand you pull into the nearest internet cafe and get to typing. This ought to be good reading.
Glad things went OK. It could of been ugly I assume.

FastFinger
03-16-2010, 1:35 PM
Great news! Let's all make sure to post this update on every site that carried the initial story.

An earlier post had something like "glad this is settled." Avoid that terminology - "settled" connotes secret pay-offs, back room deals etc. In this situation the case was dismissed.

Now that you've stopped the unintended acceleration, whip that Toyota into a u-turn and run down the scoundrels who tried to demolish you.

boxbro
03-16-2010, 1:36 PM

I don't know you Ben, but I'm glad it worked out for you and you're able to move on with your life.

If he didn't have the money to represent himself properly he might have just been kangarooed.
The system doesn't always work, and in this case, it failed, at least in that he should never have been arrested being there was ZERO evidence other than a witnesses accusation.

artherd
03-16-2010, 1:41 PM
It's nice to be able to talk about this - but I am only going to comment so much as we now have pending litigation against those involved.

The facts so far.

I was arrested and my house raided for allegedly pulling someone over with a red light and badge somewhere in or near Santa Rosa. None of what was found at the scene of the alleged crime was found in my possession - yet prosecution commenced.

Trouble is I was 100 miles away in Sacramento that entire day with multiple witnesses, Cellphone GPS records, phone calls, and text messages, and signed credit charge receipts to prove it.

The story gets more interesting from here, as someone contacted many of my peers with a slam piece on me 5 days prior to the alleged incident "The typical situation is a single woman driving at night on a lonely stretch of road…" I find that incredibly interesting, especially since several hundred people know I am an Engineering Contractor and member of the ASCE (lawfully required to have amber strobes.) An FCC Technician's license (ham radio = 'police scanner' and PA.) and as for the handcuffs? http://www.handcuffgadgetinsurance.co.uk/images/lp/handcuffs.gif

The story gets more interesting from here, there will be some interesting cases filed in the days and weeks ahead, we are already pursuing a Finding of Factual Innocence and Expungement, as well as other remedy.

Edward Peruta
03-16-2010, 1:44 PM
Congratulations to Ben Cannon for obtaining justice from the courts.

I only hope he can find a way to prevent the extremely widespread public comments of his ordeal from following him via the internet.

The internet is an extremely unforgiving place regarding false or incorrect information about a persons past.

Unfortunately there will be people who will never read the fact that the case was dismissed and never take the time to do the research and find the facts regarding his innocence.

This in another example of constitutional rights, this just happens to be about people being considered innocent until proven guilty.

Our Founding Fathers got it right.

Hogxtz
03-16-2010, 1:46 PM
Thats great news, we will need him to go after the anti-gun laws in Ca after incorporation.

Unless this lady was a physco, I wonder if the false alligations where anti-gun motivated in some way?

Where I work, several males have been terminated, and demoted from false allegations because they wouldn't except the pass made on them by the female.

FastFinger
03-16-2010, 1:50 PM
The story gets more interesting from here, there will be some interesting cases filed in the days and weeks ahead.

:popcorn: Running out to stock up on munchies - this is going to be good!

Untamed1972
03-16-2010, 1:58 PM
I now sit an wonder who was trying to frame him ?
This has conspiracy written all over it.

Hmmm....a leading member of on of the biggest Pro-2A groups on CA gets dinged with an "impersonating an officer" charge. Sounds alot like the claim that many of the anti's make about "people who want to carry guns are just COP-wannabe's".

Time to dig into that chicks backgroud and see if she's got any ties to any anti-groups.

At best perhaps it was a smear tactic to try and discredit the CGF for upcoming cases?

nice handcuffs BTW!! LOL :thumbsup:

TKM
03-16-2010, 2:06 PM
Great news.

Round one kinda sucked.

Round two rocks.

Round three is gonna be awesome!!!

SenorJefe
03-16-2010, 2:15 PM
Excellent news. Congratulations Ben

*insert dancing banana*

Glock22Fan
03-16-2010, 2:17 PM
Congratulations, Ben. I truly hope that you can dispose of any residual smears and be totally vindicated by a substantial settlement in ensuing cases.

I'm not police or D.A. bashing, but it does seem as if someone had it in for you, perhaps because of your history supporting the 2nd. That really is intolerable and I hope that that comes out as well.

oldrifle
03-16-2010, 2:19 PM
This makes me VERY happy. :D

greg36f
03-16-2010, 2:19 PM
Wrong.

No, not really, the police have a duty to at least establish probable cause before they arrest someone.

They had,

1) Witness statement.
2) Positive ID.
3) Items located in the suspect’s car that seem to verify the witness / victims claims.

The above facts above probably rise to a sufficient level of probable cause. In many, if not most police investigations, the investigation continues after the arrest is made.

The suspect may provide statements that lead to further investigation. Also, often times a search warrant is served at the time of the arrest warrant and the results of that search may lead to further investigation.

The woman that made the complaint probably painted a picture of a predator running around out there and the police acted in the interest of public safety.

How would any of us like it if one of our female family members pointing out a man and accusing him of rape and the police tell her that they will arrest him as soon as they get his phone records and talk to his alibi witnesses.

This sucks for Ben and I firmly believe that he is innocent and was really messed over, but the system did work. You cannot sue every time you are arrested and the charges are dropped.

If you do not believe me, take a look at the case out of Escondido where the police and the Parole Dept. are getting beaten up for not arresting that sex offender who killed that girl.

If only they had acted sooner and done their jobs is the mantra there.

bwiese
03-16-2010, 2:23 PM
Did he get a written a Declaration of factual innocense from the police or DA?

I would believe that would be pursued. Those do take a bit of effort - took extra effort for us to get it on CGF's John Contos' (Sonoma Firearms) case

Ca Patriot
03-16-2010, 2:26 PM
This is very similiar to the Duke lacross fake rape case. The police arrested 3 men based soley on an allegation and the DA went on national TV and had a press conference to announce their GUILT.....this was all done BEFORE the 3 men had EVER been interviewed and NO investgation had been conducted.
The police need to be held accountable for arresting and imprisoning people without any investigation.

bwiese
03-16-2010, 2:28 PM
Wrong.

In some ways, but Ben is also in a better position than many... he will never be applying for a government drone job, etc. Ben's not a guy to be 'haunted'.

greg36f
03-16-2010, 2:31 PM
This is very similiar to the Duke lacross fake rape case. The police arrested 3 men based soley on an allegation and the DA went on national TV and had a press conference to announce their GUILT.....this was all done BEFORE the 3 men had EVER been interviewed and NO investgation had been conducted.
The police need to be held accountable for arresting and imprisoning people without any investigation.

Except that it seems that the DA did the right thing in this case.....Charges dropped....

Vtec44
03-16-2010, 2:34 PM
Except that it seems that the DA did the right thing in this case.....Charges dropped....

I thought the case was dismissed?

Ca Patriot
03-16-2010, 2:36 PM

Charges were eventually dropped in the Duke case as well. In addition, the Duke DA also lost his law license and his job.

oldrifle
03-16-2010, 2:37 PM
This sucks for Ben and I firmly believe that he is innocent and was really messed over, but the system did work. You cannot sue every time you are arrested and the charges are dropped.

The fact of the matter is Ben does not deserve to have this arrest on his record. If you were arrested for child molestation and they got the wrong man but the arrest was still on your record, wouldn't you fight tooth and nail to correct that injustice?

aileron
03-16-2010, 2:38 PM
Good news... Congrats Ben!!!

I secretly wish this would of been an arrest for possession of an AW when it was an OLL. That would of made it worth the troubles for Ben; though I have a suspicion Ben is going to enjoy himself with this regardless.

TaxAnnihilator
03-16-2010, 2:42 PM
Congratulations Ben, I am sure the weight off your shoulders is a great relief.

greg36f
03-16-2010, 3:01 PM
The fact of the matter is Ben does not deserve to have this arrest on his record. If you were arrested for child molestation and they got the wrong man but the arrest was still on your record, wouldn't you fight tooth and nail to correct that injustice?

With my last breath and my last nickel!!!!

However, let’s say that a child flagged down the police and told them that I lured them towards my van with a red sucker and promised to let them pet my black Lab. When I get the child into the van, I touched her inappropriately until she ran away.

The police respond and the child positively identifies me at the man that did this. Then they search my van and they locate a red sucker and a black lab (We could debate the legality of the search, but I am not adressing that here).

I would not blame them for forming the opinion that there was probable cause to arrest me.

Charging is a whole different matter.

What would anyone say if given these circumstances, the police did not arrest and another child was hurt.

I am not saying he was not wronged, HE WAS. I am just saying that bashing the police for this is not right. I do not know all the facts, but it seems that they did establish probable cause to arrest. If they did that, they did their job.

Don't confuse the beat cop, the detective and the DA. The all have different jobs.

That is one reason that MANY cases go unfiled. The level, of proof required to go forward rises at each level.

The system is FAR from perfect, but it seems to have worked here.

greg36f
03-16-2010, 3:05 PM
Having said what I have said, I do offer my congratulations to Ben,,,,,,,,Sue the woman that falsely accused you and do see if you can get a declaration of factual innocence.

greg36f
03-16-2010, 3:07 PM
Charges were eventually dropped in the Duke case as well. In addition, the Duke DA also lost his law license and his job.

Good, he should have . He used those kids to further his political career and in doing so, he put his own interests in front of the public interests. He deserved what he got. He betrayed the public trust.

Kestryll
03-16-2010, 3:09 PM
and as for the handcuffs? http://www.handcuffgadgetinsurance.co.uk/images/lp/handcuffs.gif

I would like to point out that my powers of prognostication are indeed immense..

The handcuffs, well one of the DJs was cute and a bit wild so...

No wonder Dionne Warwick keeps calling...

:D

Peter W Bush
03-16-2010, 3:12 PM
This is great news! I hope he gets them back good!

dantodd
03-16-2010, 3:13 PM
Having said what I have said, I do offer my congratulations to Ben,,,,,,,,Sue the woman that falsely accused you and do see if you can get a declaration of factual innocence.

Greg, what you seem to be missing is that there was no "badge" no red light as she claimed etc. Plus Ben having physical evidence that he was 100 miles away. Do you think he withheld that evidence from the police until he was arrested? Come on, in interrogation with his attorney you can bet that the evidence was presented to the investigators and the whole damn thing should have stopped there.

Steyr_223
03-16-2010, 3:20 PM
Glad Ben has been cleared!

However, do we think this women that made the false accusation was serving a higher/hidden agenda? Was she under orders from Iggy or Allison or CBF?

CCWFacts
03-16-2010, 3:23 PM
5. Ben indeed has had numerous encounters with LE in that area for driving matters and is not too popular
with some cops there.

There are many good reasons to be a careful, law-abiding driver. Driving issues are the main way that ordinary law abiding people have LE contacts, and LE contacts and attention are never beneficial. Just sayin', watching the speed can avoid a lot of other problems. And saves on insurance.

Vtec44
03-16-2010, 3:37 PM
Was she under orders from Iggy or Allison or CBF?

My bet is on the Brady Campaign. :D Of course, I'm just kidding.

haveyourmile
03-16-2010, 3:38 PM
Ben, great news! I don't know you personally but from everything I've heard you're a standup guy. I'm glad you got the charges drop and I'm interested to hear how the rest of this plays out. Best of luck to you man

Gray Peterson
03-16-2010, 3:41 PM
I think the lady that made the false accusation, and the County Sheriffs, are both going to need sand pails by the time this is done...

greg36f
03-16-2010, 3:48 PM
Greg, what you seem to be missing is that there was no "badge" no red light as she claimed etc. Plus Ben having physical evidence that he was 100 miles away. Do you think he withheld that evidence from the police until he was arrested? Come on, in interrogation with his attorney you can bet that the evidence was presented to the investigators and the whole damn thing should have stopped there.

The badge and the red light could have easily been disposed of prior to police contact and the evidence that he was 100 miles away needed to be verified. They are not going to take his word for it….you do not want to be the cop that let the stalker go.

Remember that the charges were serious. We are not talking about a burglary or a theft suspect here. Those can simmer a while you investigate.

It sounds like that when alibi was confirmed and the evidence fell apart, the charges were dismissed.

As they should have been.

CSACANNONEER
03-16-2010, 3:49 PM
Congratulations Ben!

trashman
03-16-2010, 3:49 PM
The story gets more interesting from here, as someone contacted many of my peers with a slam piece on me 5 days prior to the alleged incident "The typical situation is a single woman driving at night on a lonely stretch of road…" I find that incredibly interesting [...]

Now that's an understatement!...

I understand if you can't answer this, but are you saying a journalist contacted your peers/friends for comment on a piece about you in regards to a alleged faked incident that had not yet happened?...

Or was the slam piece an otherwise topically unrelated (to the alleged faked incident) hatchet job?

In either case it sure seems like a coupla folks picked a fight with the wrong guy. :43:

--Neill

RRangel
03-16-2010, 3:53 PM
Congrats Ben. Great news! I'm so glad it worked out.

magsnubs
03-16-2010, 3:54 PM
I say proven false accusations (whether or not this is?) should be punished with the same or worse sentence as the accusation would merit to the accused. Even after aquital or charges being dropped the extreme consequences are very real for the falsely accused. To say the charges being dropped undoes the damage is flatly untrue.

PEBKAC
03-16-2010, 3:55 PM
Good to hear this got taken care of, and it is excellent to hear that those responsible for "doing it wrong" are being taken to task.

Also (as per Bill's comments) it is good to hear Amex is accepted some places. :D

GuyW
03-16-2010, 4:02 PM
If he didn't have the money to represent himself properly he might have just been kangarooed.

We have the best damn Justice system that money can buy....

GuyW
03-16-2010, 4:08 PM
The badge and the red light could have easily been disposed of prior to police contact and the evidence that he was 100 miles away needed to be verified. They are not going to take his word for it….you do not want to be the cop that let the stalker go.

Remember that the charges were serious. We are not talking about a burglary or a theft suspect here. Those can simmer a while you investigate.

It sounds like that when alibi was confirmed and the evidence fell apart, the charges were dismissed.

BFD - where's the JUSTICE in being saddled with a false arrest?

I know - lets saddle the LEOs with false arrests and see how they like it...

artherd
03-16-2010, 4:08 PM
Now that's an understatement!...

I understand if you can't answer this, but are you saying a journalist contacted your peers/friends for comment on a piece about you in regards to a alleged faked incident that had not yet happened?...

They are not a journalist. Otherwise, yes.

ArticleTheFourth
03-16-2010, 4:09 PM
That's great news!

trashman
03-16-2010, 4:14 PM

Wow...

--Neill

artherd
03-16-2010, 4:17 PM
Wow...

--Neill

mmm hmm.

liketoshoot
03-16-2010, 4:19 PM
Good.
The rest will play out too.

bwiese
03-16-2010, 4:30 PM

The fact there was only $10K bail mean the matter was nonserious.
That's basically OR, and probably driven by "priors" (traffic offenses).

They could have easily just investigated further as whether or not the arrest/bail occurred had no bearing on the case.

Even the few people with OLLs being busted for AWs are usu now just having the gun seized "for investigation" with the idea possible AW charges could be filed later (and aren't).

Super Spy
03-16-2010, 4:30 PM
Way To Go Ben!!!!

greg36f
03-16-2010, 4:31 PM
BFD - where's the JUSTICE in being saddled with a false arrest?

I know - lets saddle the LEOs with false arrests and see how they like it...

I would assume that no one would like it, but what does liking it have to do with it. There are lots of things that we do not like that we have to deal with (death, taxes, sickness, accidents, sorrow, ect.).

Liking it, or not liking it has nothing to do with what is.

That sounds harsh, but it is reality.

RobG
03-16-2010, 4:34 PM
:party: Congrats!! I think its safe to say that the wrong man was f$%^ed with:D

greg36f
03-16-2010, 4:37 PM
The fact there was only $10K bail mean the matter was nonserious.
That's basically OR, and probably driven by "priors" (traffic offenses).

They could have easily just investigated further as whether or not the arrest/bail occurred had no bearing on the case.

Even the few people with OLLs being busted for AWs are usu now just having the gun seized "for investigation" with the idea possible AW charges could be filed later (and aren't).

In most places, bail is set by the court in a "bail schedule". I have seen it crazy high for stupid stuff and crazy low for serious stuff.

Having said that, it is possible that the officers had probable cause to book him, but they felt no need to really "stick it too him" (they did what they felt they had to do, but no need to pile it on).

Also, if the charges were simple misdemeanors, most counties will not allow you to "stack the bail". Meaning, your bail is set by the single most serious charge; you cannot total the bail on all the charges.

mrlonewolf
03-16-2010, 5:04 PM
Congrats Ben.....:D

Dark Paladin
03-16-2010, 5:05 PM
Congrats Ben!

So how long do we have to wait for the next episode? Two weeks? :D

boxbro
03-16-2010, 5:06 PM
mmm hmm.

TZ (http://tzone.the-croc.com/sounds/tzone2.wav)

Go get em:

MI (http://www.moviewavs.com/0085412111/WAVS/Movies/Mission_Impossible/theme1.wav)

five.five-six
03-16-2010, 5:07 PM
VERY COOL!!!!

so, the handcuffs were for the kinky DJ after all?

oddball
03-16-2010, 5:11 PM
Congratulations and further good luck on your future court case.

Ca Patriot
03-16-2010, 5:13 PM
Okay I have a question for the person arrested.....

Have you asked the police for an answer as to whether they are still investigating this case "for the real person involved" ? The police have obviously cleared you of any involvment in this crime. Do the police still believe that the womens story is real and that another person did it ?
If the police have NOT investigated any other suspects then that means to me that they dont believe the womans story at all.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
03-16-2010, 5:18 PM
If the police have NOT investigated any other suspects then that means to me that they dont believe the womans story at all.

Or that they suck.

ldivinag
03-16-2010, 5:29 PM
So... Group buy for pink fur lined handcuffs?????

:)

WokMaster1
03-16-2010, 5:36 PM
That's great news, Ben. Alison is crying!!!!!!:43:

bubbapug1
03-16-2010, 5:48 PM
It sounds like a nightmare and/or a set up......or....both

BamBam-31
03-16-2010, 5:51 PM
Congrats, Ben! Glad to have you back!

:party:

JDoe
03-16-2010, 5:56 PM
In most places, bail is set by the court in a "bail schedule". I have seen it crazy high for stupid stuff and crazy low for serious stuff.

Having said that, it is possible that the officers had probable cause to book him, but they felt no need to really "stick it too him" (they did what they felt they had to do, but no need to pile it on).

Also, if the charges were simple misdemeanors, most counties will not allow you to "stack the bail". Meaning, your bail is set by the single most serious charge; you cannot total the bail on all the charges.

So what you are saying is that even though "you do not want to be the cop that let the stalker go" it is ok to book the guy on tiny little charge(s) that will basically insure that the person arrested is out on bail/bond in a few hours.

FastFinger
03-16-2010, 5:57 PM
I say proven false accusations (whether or not this is?) should be punished with the same or worse sentence as the accusation would merit to the accused. Even after aquital or charges being dropped the extreme consequences are very real for the falsely accused. To say the charges being dropped undoes the damage is flatly untrue.

Agreed. If there's malicious or gross negligence involved. The accuser was willing to exchange an innocent person's freedom for whatever personal gain they could derive from their scheme. If that's the value they place on freedom, then certainly they shouldn't object to paying the same price when their deception is discovered.

During the LAPD Rampart's scandal I recall reading that that's the situation when police are prosecuted for bogus charges - if convicted their sentence is based on the sentences the falsely accused would have suffered.

Should be the same with lawsuits, you lose you pay the others' legal fees.

That people can perjure with impunity is insane and does great harm to our legal system, and justice in general.

All those bogus DV charges, false claims of child abuse in divorce cases, restraining orders, Ben's case - it's all out of whack. These reprehensible actions have extremely serious consequences, but it seems so only for the falsely accused. Sad really.

Lone_Gunman
03-16-2010, 6:12 PM
Well I'm glad you're cleared. I'm very curious about the acusor as well as the person contacting your peers for comments on the incident before it actually "happened". What are their political affiliations? Do they have any ties to the Bradys, other anti groups, or the BOF? This whole thing smells.

OlderThanDirt
03-16-2010, 6:22 PM
After reading several different threads, WTF is up with some LE and people? This is just plain strange and smells of something very corrupt.

joe_sun
03-16-2010, 6:39 PM

Those b-arf threads are the reason I stay away from there. Won't even man up and apologize after the fact.

I'm sorry Ben I'm normally up to speed on these things but I guess my 4 month old son has been keeping me away from the forums. I had no idea this was going on.

I'm very happy the charges have been dropped and I hope the parties involved have to pay.

masameet
03-16-2010, 6:39 PM
Will there be defamation and restraint-of-trade/unfair competition lawsuits as well?

Congratulations, Ben, Bill, and everyone else on the legal team!

And I'm sorry to read that the Press-Democrat was duped into publishing a LE press release that was based on lies. Let's hope that the PD exposes the shoddy police work that enmeshed Ben on such serious yet ultimately phony charges.

Please keep us up-to-date with respect to the federal court lawsuits.

Tweak338
03-16-2010, 6:41 PM
Woo Hoo!

dustoff31
03-16-2010, 6:47 PM
Congrats to Ben! Glad to hear this. I needed a good news story today.

otteray
03-16-2010, 6:55 PM
Sir

So sorry you had some so- and - so try and drag your good name through the mud!

Someone on "The Dark Side" probably thought that they were going to destroy the whole enchilada with this; but it turned out to be an episode of the Roadrunner vs. Coyote and Acme Dynamite misfire... remember those cartoons?

The faithfulness of your colleagues is testament of both your good name and of your honorable core being.

Ray

Soybomb
03-16-2010, 7:01 PM
Good luck, sounds like several people deserve to get nailed on this.

Meplat
03-16-2010, 7:08 PM
Prognostication? I think you just know a lot of the same girls!;)

I would like to point out that my powers of prognostication are indeed immense..

No wonder Dionne Warwick keeps calling...

:D

MT1
03-16-2010, 7:08 PM
Glad to hear it. :cool2:

Experimentalist
03-16-2010, 7:10 PM
Ben, I'm happy and relieved to hear the good news.

Here's a celebratory vid to welcome you "Back in the saddle" at CGF. (Hope you like Aerosmith).

7I555U5wGns

Shenaniguns
03-16-2010, 7:13 PM
:43:

Meplat
03-16-2010, 7:21 PM
I doubt it. Sounds more like a woman scorned to me. If this was a conspiracy it was an incredibly incompetent one. Why send the same operative to make a false police report that tried to mole their way into his business. That creates a clearly detectable connection.

This was personal. It stemmed from either business or social frustration. The PD was probably ripe for the scam because Ben has probably beaten some tickets and made fools of the in court. They wanted to believe!

Glad Ben has been cleared!

However, do we think this women that made the false accusation was serving a higher/hidden agenda? Was she under orders from Iggy or Allison or CBF?

RomanDad
03-16-2010, 7:21 PM

Wow.... Just read those AR15 threads... Who ordered the Special?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/MovieLawyer/crow.jpg

"Crow.... The other, 'other white meat'."

Kestryll
03-16-2010, 7:27 PM
Great news! Let's all make sure to post this update on every site that carried the initial story.

On it, I spent much of today googling 'Ben Cannon' and 'Gunpal CEO arrested', registering on every forum and blog that came up and posting that the case was dismissed as expected and that Ben was innocent as said.

383green
03-16-2010, 7:34 PM
On it, I spent much of today googling 'Ben Cannon' and 'Gunpal CEO arrested', registering on every forum and blog that came up and posting that the case was dismissed as expected and that Ben was innocent as said.

:thumbsup:!

five.five-six
03-16-2010, 7:34 PM

I am sure you got pages and pages of hits

Meplat
03-16-2010, 7:39 PM
Tough to prove it didn't happen and she was just mistaken in her ID.
:rolleyes:

wildhawker
03-16-2010, 7:40 PM
I am so very, very pleased to hear that Ben won't be put through any further legal nonsense over this fabricated story of criminal wrongdoing. Now I look forward to Mr. Cannon's response...

B Strong
03-16-2010, 7:41 PM
Great news!

Cokebottle
03-16-2010, 7:42 PM
However, let’s say that a child flagged down the police and told them that I lured them towards my van with a red sucker and promised to let them pet my black Lab. When I get the child into the van, I touched her inappropriately until she ran away.
Let's modify that a bit.

You are in an unfamiliar part of town and looking for the onramp to the freeway.
The only pedestrian is a 12y/o boy.
You call to him and ask which way to the freeway. He tells you... then calls the cops with the above story.... adds that he thinks you're heading north on I-5.
You happen to have a bag of red suckers that you bought for your own kids (and you were working on one yourself, so the kid saw it), and a black lab.

Bad enough yet?

Say the kid actually is being abused by his uncle, so there is physical evidence of abuse.

Do you want that arrest on your record, even if the charges are dropped?

five.five-six
03-16-2010, 7:43 PM
I do have to admit, I did get a chuckle out of this one... now that charges are dropped:

Maybe Mr. Cannon needs to come up with:

BAILPAL – The next generation of online bail payment processing

RomanDad
03-16-2010, 7:47 PM

I think it was Bill (maybe in one of the AR threads) that mentioned that she may have had some sort of interaction with Gunpal (I'm not sure if this is a thread I missed and the information regarding this is widely known to most calgunners, or if this is something else altogether.) If the complainant KNOWS Cannon (and perhaps has an axe to grind? That part was unclear,), then reporting that he specifically committed a crime, when the facts pretty conclusively prove he couldn't have been there, definitely brings her veracity (or maybe mental health) into question..... If the two are strangers and she just gave the wrong license plate number and the Police ran with it, then yeah.... Thats an "oops" and probably not actionable.

1JimMarch
03-16-2010, 7:48 PM
First, THANK GOD he was in Sacatomatoes all day and could prove it. Most likely the perp didn't know that.

Second: how quickly are the same local cops going to arrest this deranged gal? IF THEY DON'T, they'll have proved they were likely in on it...and also if they don't, he'll have further evidence to go nail them in Federal court.

Third: he needs to push on this by going to that same department and swearing out a complaint for perjury, false police report and false arrest against the crazy gal.

Fourth: he needs to go for a restraining order against the gal. Remember, that's a "partial CCW" and in a post-incorporation world coming up real soon now, it'll likely be damn near impossible to prosecute him for wrongful CCW if he has one.

Fifth: he needs to go apply for a CCW permit, likely with both the sheriff and local department. Because he can now prove somebody is after him!!! If they deny him despite available evidence, he'll have a slam-dunk post-incorporation lawsuit.

Man, Ben is gonna have a ton o' fun.

Twystd1
03-16-2010, 7:49 PM
If Cannon wasn't so ugly.... None of this woulda happened.:rolleyes:

Twystd1

jwb28
03-16-2010, 7:52 PM
I really like this comment in one of the posted links:

Digital Bo says:
March 16, 2010 at 2:09 pm
They may be tried in the same physical location, but the magnitude of precedent that will be set is much different. It won’t be a local LE agency with an axe to grind paying a few hundred $K to settle a civil suit out of court. And believe me, with the legal minds Mr. Cannon has to back him up, (many who have argued before the Supreme Court), the agency(ies) involved aren’t going to checkbook their way out of this.

If people or public officials have a personal axe to grind then I hope they wind up dumpster diving for a living after the lawsuit settles.

turbosbox
03-16-2010, 8:00 PM
This is great news! I hope he gets them back good!

Yes, me too. Those looked like nice handcuffs.

The part that bothers me is how the items described by the police, were all not what they said they were, except maybe the pinkcuffs. And if a person were to see those, does that really support the LEO theory?

I'm pretty disappointed in how the LEA handled this. It is good they dismissed the charges at least instead of trying to continue down the wrong path.

NovaTodd
03-16-2010, 8:06 PM
Congrats on beating the set-up.
And have fun grilling them in District Court.

C.G.
03-16-2010, 8:26 PM
I am glad for Ben that this is finally over; go get in Federal Court.

Meplat
03-16-2010, 8:28 PM
From the information provided by Ben and others close to him there does seem to be a connection. It sure looks like a set up. But I'm a, beyond a reasonable doubt, type of guy. No matter who is being prosecuted.

I think it was Bill (maybe in one of the AR threads) that mentioned that she may have had some sort of interaction with Gunpal (I'm not sure if this is a thread I missed and the information regarding this is widely known to most calgunners, or if this is something else altogether.) If the complainant KNOWS Cannon (and perhaps has an axe to grind? That part was unclear,), then reporting that he specifically committed a crime, when the facts pretty conclusively prove he couldn't have been there, definitely brings her veracity (or maybe mental health) into question..... If the two are strangers and she just gave the wrong license plate number and the Police ran with it, then yeah.... Thats an "oops" and probably not actionable.

Hopi
03-16-2010, 8:34 PM
Welcome back to the fight Ben.

Mikeinblack
03-16-2010, 8:38 PM
Break it off in 'em!

anthonyca
03-16-2010, 8:58 PM
In some ways, but Ben is also in a better position than many... he will never be applying for a government drone job, etc. Ben's not a guy to be 'haunted'.

He may want to contract on a government construction site. I have seen people denied access of have clearance pulled for an arrest
on more minor charges with no conviction.

People need to pay for this.

CALI-gula
03-16-2010, 9:09 PM
Congratulations Ben(s)!

I am so glad this worked out well for us.

I am going to rush to Starbucks RIGHT NOW and celebrate by ordering a Double Chocolaty Chip Frappuccino Blended Crème, with sprinkles. :p

Go Calgons!!

Experimentalist
03-16-2010, 9:10 PM
I am still not convinced that he didn't do it

And Elvis still lives, dude.

gucci pilot
03-16-2010, 9:16 PM
So, to continue the rest of the conversation at the court house...

Ms. Court Clerk: "I guess I'll be seeing you in civil court."

Ben: "And, I will be needing my handcuffs back for tonight's party. You're in invited of course. (wink)"

Ms. Court Clerk: "Oh, my..."

That must have been one hell of a party. Congrats!

chiselchst
03-16-2010, 9:27 PM
Please forgive my ignorance regarding this topic, as I have been ill recently (but I have searched for more info here w/o success). Often I spend hours on this forum, but what the hell is this thread about?

I have been striving to get many new people to join us here. It must be hard for them also (I imagine) to follow a thread like this, with little or no background...

I financially and politically support this great org, so please don't flame me...

But WTF is this referring to?

Meplat
03-16-2010, 9:39 PM
Go back to post #75 and click on the link {original press release}. There are several other links in this thread to newspaper stories and such.

Ben is the owner / originator of GunPal and until he was charged and resigned a board member of CGF, has fought the good fight in the trenches cant give a bio here, but he's good people.

Please forgive my ignorance regarding this topic, as I have been ill recently (but I have searched for more info here w/o success). Often I spend hours on this forum, but what the hell is this thread about?

I have been striving to get many new people to join us here. It must be hard for them also (I imagine) to follow a thread like this, with little or no background...

I financially and politically support this great org, so please don't flame me...

But WTF is this referring to?

Ca Patriot
03-16-2010, 9:55 PM
Okay I have another question......the article said "detective identified Cannon as a suspect" but they dont say how they did so. What lead police to him ?

Seesm
03-16-2010, 10:01 PM
Ok WTF... Where was I am what did I miss... Can someone PM me some easy details... PLEASE... not trying to pry but I love me some Ben Cannon and am curious what the heck happen.. thanks in advance... I am eagerly awaiting a answer... I would ask Ben direct but I PM him yesterday with no reply so it sound slike he is busy... Thanks folks... Btw does Ben have a target on his back from the whole OLL dealio?

rkt88edmo
03-16-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm guessing we don't get much detail aside from what is already out there if a countersuit is underway. Check the whole thread, people have posted backstory links.

Meplat
03-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Okay I have another question......the article said "detective identified Cannon as a suspect" but they dont say how they did so. What lead police to him ?

I would bet that the 5150 chick had his license number. It would be good if she did because if he can prove his wheels were in Sacto, it would make a fairly strong false report case unless there is another Beemer around that is the same color and has a somewhat close plat number.

CCWFacts
03-16-2010, 10:15 PM
First, THANK GOD he was in Sacatomatoes all day and could prove it.

Yes THANK GOD.

What if he had left his cellphone off that day, and hadn't made any purchases and had no meetings? I do that sometimes. I wouldn't be able to prove where I am at certain times.

bigcalidave
03-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Congrats Ben !!! Excellent news, glad it didn't drag out too long! It'll be good to see your name back where it belongs, on CGF and Gunpal!

ivanimal
03-16-2010, 10:34 PM
As I said in the earlier thread. I an anxious to see you back in the fight. I am sorry the cost was so high, get them where it counts Ben. They deserve it.

aplinker
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Congrats - I'm sure you're very relieved, as are we.

gunsmith
03-16-2010, 10:38 PM
congrats!

RomanDad
03-16-2010, 10:49 PM
FWIW, if I were Cannon, I would demand a retraction from this particular rag:

http://3hmm.com/thesun/?p=15914

News | February 18, 2010
Fake cop busted for false imprisonment
Staff Report

A man who terrified a female driver by impersonating a police officer was arrested last week on charges including false imprisonment. Benjamin Cannon, 29, of Petaluma, was identified by the 22-year-old victim as the man who subjected her to a late-night ordeal just east of Sonoma.

You'll notice that the paper (I assume its a paper.... From the level of writing skill, it sounds like it may be written by a 16 year old in his parent's basement) treats the allegation as TRUE and that Cannon is the person responsible for it, rather than simply reporting an arrest. They are not supposed to do that.... Because when it turns out to be false, it opens the newspaper up for a Libel suit.

Zebra
03-16-2010, 11:01 PM
Ha!
Not our Ben... :43:

WokMaster1
03-16-2010, 11:02 PM
FWIW, if I were Cannon, I would demand a retraction from this particular rag:

http://3hmm.com/thesun/?p=15914

You'll notice that the paper (I assume its a paper.... From the level of writing skill, it sounds like it may be written by a 16 year old in his parent's basement) treats the allegation as TRUE and that Cannon is the person responsible for it, rather than simply reporting an arrest. They are not supposed to do that.... Because when it turns out to be false, it opens the newspaper up for a Libel suit.

I agree. I wonder if Ben is going to go after them.

Ronco
03-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Congrats on your win.

obeygiant
03-16-2010, 11:04 PM

Here's the complete list:
http://www.bumpfire.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1223
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=572919
http://www.facebook.com/posted.php?id=14897579606
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=999687
http://www.semiautorifles.com/forums/f9/ceo-gunpal-arrested-impersonating-police-officer-2215.html
http://www.itstactical.com/2010/02/09/gunpal-removed-as-plank-owner-option/
http://outside.in/california/tags/Police%20car
http://3hmm.com/thesun/?cat=22&paged=2
http://fwix.com/sonomacounty/search/imprisonment
http://www.localxxl.com/us/local_news/petaluma-sonoma-county-ca/fake-cop-busted-for-false-imprisonment-1266496014/
http://www.sonomanews.com/articles/2010/02/15/news/doc4b79d887cfe63402981725.txt
http://www.ksro.com/LocalNews/Story.aspx?ID=1196426
http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=4684928
http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/370101862/p/2
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=1562832
http://www.wallsofthecity.net/2010/02/of-all-the-random-things.html
http://bmwgarage.com/fake-cop-busted-for-false-imprisonment/
http://iklanprima.com/search/imprisonment
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/92587-Gunpal-CEO-arrested
http://crime.problemsus.com/california/Napa%20Crime.html
http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14877226
http://www.powersellersunite.com/post-295676.html
http://thoora.com/f/12915002
http://www.blogged.com/profile/endotacticalinc
http://pishtov.blogspot.com/2010/01/blog-post_27.html
http://www.petaluma360.com/article/20100213/COMMUNITY/100219743/1362
http://www.topix.com/city/petaluma-ca/2010/02/petaluma-man-arrested-for-impersonating-officer
http://www.topix.com/city/petaluma-ca/2010/02/petaluma-man-accused-of-impersonating-a-cop
http://tweetmeme.com/story/573098190/petaluma-man-arrested-on-suspicions-of-impersonating-police-officer-2-13-10-san-francisco-news-abc7newscom
http://boyeshotsprings.localspur.com/2010/02/13/man-arrested-after-impersonating-police-officer-pulling-over-driver-the-petaluma-argus-courier/
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20100213/ARTICLES/100219748
http://www.wopular.com/man-charged-impersonating-police-officer-st-pete
http://forums.pressdemocrat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3601086917/m/4241016769/r/8401056769
http://www.weblo.com/asset_news_suggestion/City/Petaluma/Police_crack_down_on_pros/65506/ct_%7C_us__0-2-0/1
http://soccernews.bigsoccer.com/article/01hV2RugGW9e4
http://www.sonomanews.com/articles/2010/02/26/news/doc4b79d887cfe63402981725.txt
http://www.sonomasheriff.org/pressroom.php?subaction=showfull&id=1237434333&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&
http://www.freedomtorch.com/twitter_timeline_public.php?q=%23Petaluma
http://www.localxxl.com/us/local_news/petaluma-sonoma-county-ca/fake-cop-busted-for-false-imprisonment-1266496014/
http://cbs5.com/search?SearchString=Napa&TabId=0&NoLog=1
http://www.boozemonkey.com/twitter_timeline_public.php?q=%23petaluma
http://www.newsclicker.com/?id415=&ADN&pub-5921050296885253
http://www.wallsofthecity.net/author/linoge
http://www.co.marin.ca.us/depts/SO/bklog/XMLProj/BookResults.asp
http://www.blognetnews.com/Tennessee/feed.php?channel=112

bigcalidave
03-16-2010, 11:05 PM
Obeygiant, you are the master of google... seriously.

Cokebottle
03-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I was going to say you missed one, but it looks like Castboolits deleted their thread.

obeygiant
03-16-2010, 11:25 PM
I was going to say you missed one, but it looks like Castboolits deleted their thread.

Yep they did all that is left is the cache (http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:fjLfvMHaLMQJ:castboolits.gunloads.c om/showthread.php%3Ft%3D78595+castboolits,ben+cannon+ arrested&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a). Thank you to the guys over at Castboolits that removed it.

artherd
03-16-2010, 11:34 PM
You know - This issue is bigger than me. There is a nonzero chance that if the person reporting this was genuine and someone actually doing these things, and they need to be apprehended, and hopefully law enforcement can now focus on doing just that.

Thank you to everyone who stood by me, and thank you as well to those with questions making their own assessments and vocal proclamations on this and other forums. The strength of this community is what led me to become involved in support of CGN's infrastructure, the Calguns organization, and the CGF.

As trying and devastating as this experience has been to me personally and my business ventures - I have found a silver lining in that I have experienced more widespread support and found I have more true friends than I ever imagined.

At the end of the day, this is not really about me, this about the community taking care of the people who make it up - and I am proud to be a part of it.

-Ben.

supersonic
03-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Congrats, Ben. I, of course, knew this to be bogus from the very first waft of the stink I got from it. If you feel like getting some "aggro" out, I will happily donate several rounds of 50DTC for you to detonate if you feel like coming to the 50 shoot in Concord this weekend!:) (PM me if you will be there so that I can load extra rounds)

nick
03-16-2010, 11:37 PM
With my last breath and my last nickel!!!!

The police respond and the child positively identifies me at the man that did this. Then they search my van and they locate a red sucker and a black lab (We could debate the legality of the search, but I am not adressing that here).

I would not blame them for forming the opinion that there was probable cause to arrest me.

Charging is a whole different matter.

What would anyone say if given these circumstances, the police did not arrest and another child was hurt.

I am not saying he was not wronged, HE WAS. I am just saying that bashing the police for this is not right. I do not know all the facts, but it seems that they did establish probable cause to arrest. If they did that, they did their job.

Don't confuse the beat cop, the detective and the DA. The all have different jobs.

That is one reason that MANY cases go unfiled. The level, of proof required to go forward rises at each level.

The system is FAR from perfect, but it seems to have worked here.

Now, if it was established that you weren't even there at the time the alleged crime was committed, and you were arrested anyway, did the system work?

stan
03-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Now, if it was established that you weren't even there at the time the alleged crime was committed, and you were arrested anyway, did the system work?

better than california gun laws :p

glad you got your name cleared up ben. will you be reassuming your previous duties yet?

Twystd1
03-16-2010, 11:59 PM
You know - This issue is bigger than me. There is a nonzero chance that if the person reporting this was genuine and someone actually doing these things, and they need to be apprehended, and hopefully law enforcement can now focus on doing just that.

Thank you to everyone who stood by me, and thank you as well to those with questions making their own assessments and vocal proclamations on this and other forums. The strength of this community is what led me to become involved in support of CGN's infrastructure, the Calguns organization, and the CGF.

As trying and devastating as this experience has been to me personally and my business ventures - I have found a silver lining in that I have experienced more widespread support and found I have more true friends than I ever imagined.

At the end of the day, this is not really about me, this about the community taking care of the people who make it up - and I am proud to be a part of it.

-Ben.

You really are the guy I thought you were. You took the higher road through all of this. I don't know if I could of done the same thing if I were standing in your shoes.
Congratulations Ben. Let me know if I can help you in any way.
I will help get the word out as well.

Cheers, Twystd1

nick
03-17-2010, 12:00 AM
better than california gun laws :p

Well, yeah, then you'd be arrested AND prosecuted anyway.

artherd
03-17-2010, 12:04 AM
Let me know if I can help you in any way.

Thank you. You can help by standing up for truth and donating to CGF :)

N6ATF
03-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Well, yeah, then you'd be arrested AND prosecuted anyway.

AND be found guilty because the judge decided to rewrite the law so that the exceptions you could claim were not passed on to the jury.

Walker
03-17-2010, 12:38 AM
Congrats man.

vrand
03-17-2010, 12:39 AM

-Ben.

Fight On Ben!

:79:

corrupt
03-17-2010, 1:35 AM
I am very happy about this. Thanks for fighting.

Joe
03-17-2010, 1:39 AM
Congrats Ben!

capntroy
03-17-2010, 6:36 AM
Good on ya, Ben!

Now get back to work, I need those shipping options on GunPal!! :p

Mulay El Raisuli
03-17-2010, 7:29 AM

Oh...My...God!!!! I certainly hope you rip them a new one.

The Raisuli

hill billy
03-17-2010, 11:30 AM
http://www.semiautorifles.com/forums/f9/ceo-gunpal-arrested-impersonating-police-officer-2215.html
http://www.sonomanews.com/articles/2010/02/15/news/doc4b79d887cfe63402981725.txt
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php/92587-Gunpal-CEO-arrested
http://www.topix.com/city/petaluma-ca/2010/02/petaluma-man-arrested-for-impersonating-officer
http://www.topix.com/city/petaluma-ca/2010/02/petaluma-man-accused-of-impersonating-a-cop
http://tweetmeme.com/story/573098190/petaluma-man-arrested-on-suspicions-of-impersonating-police-officer-2-13-10-san-francisco-news-abc7newscom
http://boyeshotsprings.localspur.com/2010/02/13/man-arrested-after-impersonating-police-officer-pulling-over-driver-the-petaluma-argus-courier/
http://forums.pressdemocrat.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3601086917/m/4241016769/r/8401056769
http://www.weblo.com/asset_news_suggestion/City/Petaluma/Police_crack_down_on_pros/65506/ct_%7C_us__0-2-0/1
http://www.sonomanews.com/articles/2010/02/26/news/doc4b79d887cfe63402981725.txt
http://www.sonomasheriff.org/pressroom.php?subaction=showfull&id=1237434333&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

I corrected one or two of those.

Glad this worked out Ben. Give them hell.

Purple K
03-17-2010, 11:43 AM
You've gotten justice, now get revenge!

ojisan
03-17-2010, 12:01 PM
You've gotten justice, now get revenge!

This.
:26:

Awesome on the all clear, Ben. :)

Too bad disgusting that you were targeted in the first place.
I've seen and experienced this before (mistaken identity).
Please take the time to push back and let them have their turn being dragged through the mud.

motorhead
03-17-2010, 12:13 PM
congrats. remember, revenge is better than christmas.

L84CABO
03-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Seriously scary. How bad could this have been if Ben hadn't had such a strong alibi?

IGOTDIRT4U
03-17-2010, 12:38 PM

Wonderful!! :clap:

madmike
03-17-2010, 12:57 PM

-Ben.

That was really well said. :clap:I can't wait until the last back side is kicked and we can have the full story. It should be a very interesting read.

Will you now be returning to your previous rolls with CGF and all?

-madmike.

kcbrown
03-17-2010, 1:14 PM
Congratulations, Ben! I don't know you or any other CGFers personally but I hope to change all that in the coming months as I get more involved in the fight for our rights. If you are a tenth of what your reputation says then I will be deeply honored to meet you in person when the time comes.

When can/will you resume your CGF board member duties? I'm sure you've got a seat waiting for you.

In the meantime, I'd bet the fireworks are going to be very entertaining... :43:

:popcorn:

GrayWolf09
03-17-2010, 3:26 PM

:eek::eek::eek:

Congratulations Ben. I am so glad you were able to prove that you were not there and that you were freed. This whole thing just reeks.

Thanks to the folks here for posting the ar15.com threads. The standard there seems to be guilty until proven innocent. Ben, I am sorry they treated you so badly.

For all those falling all over themselves defending LE in this incident, I have a question: If LE was so fair in this incident why did the Sonoma County Sheriff's Office put out that inflammatory press release? I also hope that the Sonoma County Sheriff is pursuing charges of conspiracy and filing a false police report as they did charges against Ben. I will wait for the press release.

I am glad for your acquittal I look forward to further developments. :lurk5:

ripcurlksm
03-17-2010, 5:26 PM
i love good news

RP1911
03-17-2010, 5:47 PM
Congrats on a successful resolution.

Liberty Rules
03-17-2010, 6:32 PM

Not if phone records can tie the pre-incident hit piece caller back to her.

Liberty Rules
03-17-2010, 6:48 PM
I think that the scariest lesson in all of this is how fragile our personal liberty really is. Imagine what would happen if Ben had been home alone all night watching movies and did not have proof that he was 100 miles away. With one person making a false accusation or a false ID, the cops and the ADA would be spinning the contents of his car and his firearms activities into quite a story for the jury. With a teary-eyed 22 yo woman on the stand talking about how frightened she was and the ADA making him out to be a fiend, many juries would convict in a heartbeat. One person's false testimony is all that it takes to send you up the river unless you can muster proof of your own innocence. That scares me.

DougJ
03-17-2010, 6:56 PM
I think that the scariest lesson in all of this is how fragile our personal liberty really is. Imagine what would happen if Ben had been home alone all night watching movies and did not have proof that he was 100 miles away. With one person making a false accusation or a false ID, the cops and the ADA would be spinning the contents of his car and his firearms activities into quite a story for the jury. With a teary-eyed 22 yo woman on the stand talking about how frightened she was and the ADA making him out to be a fiend, many juries would convict in a heartbeat. One person's false testimony is all that it takes to send you up the river unless you can muster proof of your own innocence. That scares me.

Yeah, this is the truly scary part. It's chilling to think of how something like this would go for me personally. I'm sure that any military gear in my vehicles would be spun into something evil, and I would probably not have the evidence that was there in this case to prove I was not involved. It could be UGLY.

It's great to hear that Ben has the means to shove this in deep and break it off. I hope he does.

wash
03-17-2010, 7:27 PM
I'm glad that it's your turn to get on the offensive but I know there's a great story that hasn't been told yet.

I hope it isn't too personal or X rated to tell eventually.

7x57
03-17-2010, 7:29 PM

Wow. Remember, folks, if you have to have enemies, try to make sure they're this stupid. :rolleyes:

7x57

Meplat
03-17-2010, 7:41 PM
Yes there are several good concrete ways to pursue it. And I would bet the cops have it figured out already, but cops, like reporters, pursue what they please. I doubt they are anxious to help Ben make monkeys out of them yet again. Such is our system of...... Justice?
:(

Not if phone records can tie the pre-incident hit piece caller back to her.

Silencer
03-17-2010, 8:43 PM
I know it might be incorrect to lay down any claims on what happened and what this is all about, but this incident reeks of 'tainted lover.' "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned?"

Unrelated mater perhaps, but be careful of whom you bed down with, fellas.

obeygiant
03-17-2010, 8:53 PM

An earlier post had something like "glad this is settled." Avoid that terminology - "settled" connotes secret pay-offs, back room deals etc. In this situation the case was dismissed.

Now that you've stopped the unintended acceleration, whip that Toyota into a u-turn and run down the scoundrels who tried to demolish you.

You really are the guy I thought you were. You took the higher road through all of this. I don't know if I could of done the same thing if I were standing in your shoes.
Congratulations Ben. Let me know if I can help you in any way.
I will help get the word out as well.

Cheers, Twystd1

I corrected one or two of those.

Glad this worked out Ben. Give them hell.

Thank you for doing so. I would suggest one thing for anyone else that is willing to do so and that is to post the links that you have responded to so we can cross them off the list.

Ben is one of our own and has stepped up to the plate for all of us in this community and we need to defend him as such. I would encourage everyone to take 5 minutes and knock out one of those links. The internet has a long memory and we as a community can help restore his reputation to what it rightfully should be.

-
OG

Glock22Fan
03-17-2010, 8:54 PM
I know it might be incorrect to lay down any claims on what happened and what this is all about, but this incident reeks of 'tainted lover.' "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned?"

Unrelated mater perhaps, but be careful of whom you bed down with, fellas.

If there was any kind of relationship, it must have been a very short one, or she would not have needed a lineup to identify Ben and would have known he wasn't a cop. If she were pretending about this, then Ben would have a pretty good case, methinks.

Maybe the pretty D.J. who got scared off by the pink handcuffs? :D

Silencer
03-17-2010, 8:57 PM
I have to say that it would seem to me that if there was any kind of relationship at all beyond a fleeting one, there would not have needed to be a lineup and the woman would have a job pretending she didn't know Ben well enough to know that he wasn't really a cop.

I was not suggesting the woman was the lover.

mquejr
03-17-2010, 10:04 PM
great news!

McCrown
03-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Great to hear the good news!!

JTecalo
03-17-2010, 11:19 PM
my tinfoil hat must be on too tight, I keep hearing a faint whisper "Paypal....Paypal..."

Ben it sounded like something wasn't on the up & up, congratulations

SP1200
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
The court clerk thought, given the BS of the case, he'd sue civilly and on a local bases.

But you have Fed civil rights violations when arrested for throwing charges around that are vague and specious, etc.

There is so much prosecutorial misconduct in Passalacqua's office.
Show them "The CANNON!"

six10
04-22-2010, 10:19 PM
'bout time! ;)

SP1200
04-22-2010, 10:41 PM

pifft. Typical LEO response. "It's just our job to bring you in, and let the judges and lawyers figure it out."
Can't tell you how many time I heard that line of crap! No dumb ***, you took an oath to uphold the law!

Wrong.

^ And this is why we need fight! Having an arrest on ones records, whether charged, or convicted DOESN'T MATER. Some dumb SRPD "detectives" arrested him with out doing an investigation. Absolutely pathetic. ...and I speak from experience, they do this to a lot of people in this area.

Barkoff
04-22-2010, 11:14 PM
It's nice to be able to talk about this - but I am only going to comment so much as we now have pending litigation against those involved.

The facts so far.

I was arrested and my house raided for allegedly pulling someone over with a red light and badge somewhere in or near Santa Rosa. None of what was found at the scene of the alleged crime was found in my possession - yet prosecution commenced.

Trouble is I was 100 miles away in Sacramento that entire day with multiple witnesses, Cellphone GPS records, phone calls, and text messages, and signed credit charge receipts to prove it.

The story gets more interesting from here, as someone contacted many of my peers with a slam piece on me 5 days prior to the alleged incident "The typical situation is a single woman driving at night on a lonely stretch of road…" I find that incredibly interesting, especially since several hundred people know I am an Engineering Contractor and member of the ASCE (lawfully required to have amber strobes.) An FCC Technician's license (ham radio = 'police scanner' and PA.) and as for the handcuffs? http://www.handcuffgadgetinsurance.co.uk/images/lp/handcuffs.gif

The story gets more interesting from here, there will be some interesting cases filed in the days and weeks ahead, we are already pursuing a Finding of Factual Innocence and Expungement, as well as other remedy.

I guess it's a good thing you were in Sac that day, just think...

Barkoff
04-22-2010, 11:17 PM
pifft. Typical LEO response. "It's just our job to bring you in, and let the judges and lawyers figure it out."
Can't tell you how many time I heard that line of crap! No dumb ***, you took an oath to uphold the law!
^

Leo's don't make the decision to prosecute, they gather evidence and make an arrest. The beef is with those who heard all the facts from both sides, and then moved forward with the prosecution.

artherd
04-23-2010, 3:20 AM
^ and, sometimes, they conceal evidence...

gbp
04-23-2010, 4:02 AM
Barkoff, welcome to calguns, glad to see you made it over from the fire
we need all the help we can get