PDA

View Full Version : question regarding New Resident Handgun Ownership Report

rogtac
03-15-2010, 11:45 PM
Hi all,

I am about to fill out the report mentioned in the title for my handguns that i brought with me from NC. For each handgun, I am supposed to enter the date i purchased the gun. The problem is i do not remember the exact date of purchase for all of my handguns. i have receipts for my latest purchases but i have nothing for my earlier purchases. What does one do in this situation where the date of purchase is unknown? Thanks

markw
03-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Are you active duty military? Personal Handgun importer rules don't apply to active duty. Otherwise you're screwed, and leave your hicap magazines at home. Only in California would the state extort 19 bucks per handgun for the privilege of telling them you have the weapons. :confused:

12001(o)(2) In the case of members of the Armed Forces of the United
States, residency shall be deemed to be established when he or she
was discharged from active service in this state.

Curtis
03-16-2010, 7:03 AM
Contact the CA DOJ. I found that they were very helpful with these types of questions (related to a different form: LEGR). I can't imagine they wouldn't allow the form to be filled out with just a year.

Good luck and welcome to California.

BluNorthern
03-16-2010, 7:17 AM
In a similar situation. Moving back to California, will register my 45 (already registered when I bought it in Idaho) with the authorities here as required. My question is.. I have two other pistols that I bought in and possessed in California over 25 years ago. One at a gun show, the other in a private sale. Will I need to register these also or am I somehow 'grandfathered' in. Thank You.

kellito
03-16-2010, 7:48 AM
Are you active duty military? Personal Handgun importer rules don't apply to active duty. Otherwise you're screwed, and leave your hicap magazines at home. Only in California would the state extort 19 bucks per handgun for the privilege of telling them you have the weapons. :confused:

12001(o)(2) In the case of members of the Armed Forces of the United
States, residency shall be deemed to be established when he or she
was discharged from active service in this state.

Once you get out, do you then have to register?

lorax3
03-16-2010, 8:26 AM
. My question is.. I have two other pistols that I bought in and possessed in California over 25 years ago. Will I need to register these also or am I somehow 'grandfathered' in. Thank You.

You only need to register the handguns that were acquired outside of California.

Once you get out, do you then have to register?

Yes, the clock starts when you are discharged.

BluNorthern
03-16-2010, 8:32 AM
Thanks, Lorax3

Glock22Fan
03-16-2010, 8:40 AM
Nothing to do with California, but the LVMPD has a form that you fill in for a blue card (registration for Clark County, Nv) that has a field for "Date Purchased." I said I had no idea and they said "Just put 'unknown'."

I'm guessing that they, and our DoJ, meet this all the time.