PDA

View Full Version : New Scope for Hunting

LloydXmas250
03-15-2010, 11:32 PM
I am thinking about getting a new scope for my varmint gun. The scope I have has just a typical reticle and I've been craving something that I can shoot better with at distance. Does anyone have any advice on BDC scopes compared to a Mil Dot scope? I've shot a BDC but it was in 30-06 so I'm not sure how well it would work with that caliber. Thanks.

dodgerfan175
03-15-2010, 11:52 PM
I've got target turrets on mine with mil dot reticle, so I just make adjustments as I go. I don't really use the mils I just adjust the moa.

LloydXmas250
03-16-2010, 8:01 AM
I've got target turrets on mine with mil dot reticle, so I just make adjustments as I go. I don't really use the mils I just adjust the moa.

Know of where I can learn to do that? I don't get how you figure out how many clicks it takes to get your scope on target while in the field. I know my scope is 1/4 MOA but I only know how to use that at 100 yds on a stationary target.

dodgerfan175
03-16-2010, 8:15 AM
Checkout snipercentral.com lots of good stuff on that forum, or just google MOA and you'll get lots of info. You might want to do a search on this forum I bet the precision rifle club guys have had discussions on the topic. It can get a bit overwhelming at first but once you get used to it it's fairly easy.

LloydXmas250
03-16-2010, 8:34 AM
Alright, but you still have a Mil Dot so do you prefer that one to a BDC or was it just an available scope so you used it?

Deluhathol
03-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I have never used a mil dot before but I love my Nikon Monarch with BDC. Works very well.

Black Majik
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
I also use Mildots and adjust my minutes on the turrets. I'm much more confident in that than relying on a BDC that isn't matched to the ammo I'm using.

LloydXmas250
03-16-2010, 11:16 AM
I also use Mildots and adjust my minutes on the turrets. I'm much more confident in that than relying on a BDC that isn't matched to the ammo I'm using.

Where do you learn to do that kind of stuff? Also, is it practical when hunting? I feel like my shot could be changing distance or I wouldn't have time to change my settings. I figured with the Mildot I would find about where each dot will hit at each range and adjust accordingly depending on my target, not to actually change my settings. But I'd love to learn how to do this as well.

Black Majik
03-16-2010, 11:50 AM
My .223 rifle has a scope with exposed turrets, so it's seconds to dial in the dope for the range your shooting. We always hide our truck and walk up to the spots we know are squirrel infested, most of our shots are 250 yards or less so there isn't much drop with .223. Dialing it in is a confidence booster though. Duplex reticle would be fine since I don't normally holdover using the reticle.

You can go to Angeles, set your targets from 50 yards to 200 yards so you can get an idea where your bullet is impacting at given distances.

jawbreaker
03-16-2010, 7:25 PM
I like my BDC scopes, I have a monarch a pro staff and a buckmaster and all are good but I have a mil dot and like it better.

LloydXmas250
03-16-2010, 8:13 PM
I like my BDC scopes, I have a monarch a pro staff and a buckmaster and all are good but I have a mil dot and like it better.

Do you change your dials too or do you just know where each impact point is for differing yardage? I like the scopes with the turret dials but I'm on a very tight budget and I haven't really seen ones in my $300 price range. I know it's small but it's hard right now for money.

jawbreaker
03-16-2010, 9:41 PM
I don't even use the BDC reticle. I thought I would but the 22-250 shoots flat so I pretty much can hold zero out to 300 yrds and don't think I'll shoot beyond that. I have the mil dot on the 10-22 and have it zeroed at 50 yrds and use the dots for 75 and 100, I haven't shot it much past 100 so can't say much about anything beyond that.

CavTrooper
03-16-2010, 9:42 PM
For hunting with a mil-dot, unless your in a static hide shooting long range, just use it for holdovers. Even then, just sight your rifle in 1 1/2 high at 100 and hold on fur, youll most likely be good out to about 300. Dials and clicks arent practical for predator hunting, but if you are long range prarie doggin, squirrel shooting, deer or elk or whatever, they can be useful.

I prefer mil-dots but have used the Burris ballistic plex reticles as well and think they are pretty decent. The Nikon "coyote special" reticle sucks, avoid it.

LloydXmas250
03-16-2010, 11:18 PM
How about a reccomendation on a good mildot scope that falls in the $300?

dodgerfan175
03-17-2010, 12:12 AM
Alright, but you still have a Mil Dot so do you prefer that one to a BDC or was it just an available scope so you used it?

When i got the scope I decided on mil-dot because I was intending, and still intend on learning how to use the mil-dots along with the moa adjustments. After I got confident with my moa adjustments, I've stuck with what works. The mil-dots I believe are designed to range targets but you must know the approximate size of your target. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's a little math for you check these two threads:

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16137
http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=529

LloydXmas250
03-17-2010, 12:27 AM
When i got the scope I decided on mil-dot because I was intending, and still intend on learning how to use the mil-dots along with the moa adjustments. After I got confident with my moa adjustments, I've stuck with what works. The mil-dots I believe are designed to range targets but you must know the approximate size of your target. Anyone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Here's a little math for you check these two threads:

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16137
http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=529

Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff. I'm still a bit confused on how they know many MOA they need to move after ranging the target. Any basic, fair priced, but still dependable Mildot scopes out there?

winxp_man
03-17-2010, 1:14 AM
Thanks for the links. Interesting stuff. I'm still a bit confused on how they know many MOA they need to move after ranging the target. Any basic, fair priced, but still dependable Mildot scopes out there?

check out the vortex scopes ..........

CavTrooper
03-17-2010, 6:47 AM
Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 side focus mil-dot reticle scope is probably the best deal for the money. Ive got a few of them and will keep on buying them.

Also, you can check out mildot.com or something to that effect for tutorials and such on using a mil-dot scope.

Like i said though, unless you are static and shooting longer range targets, use the dots for holdovers out to about 500y.

LloydXmas250
03-17-2010, 9:03 PM
Nikon buckmaster 4.5-14x40 side focus mil-dot reticle scope is probably the best deal for the money. Ive got a few of them and will keep on buying them.

Also, you can check out mildot.com or something to that effect for tutorials and such on using a mil-dot scope.

Like i said though, unless you are static and shooting longer range targets, use the dots for holdovers out to about 500y.

Thanks for the tip. Looked up that scope and I really like it but at the same time I sort of want one I can use with my Mildots to change settings quickly (with turret knobs) and then also hold over targets when needed for hunting. I found the Bushnell 3200 Elite that is at a really nice price point for the fixed 10X maginification. The variable are a tad more than what I wanted to spend. Anyone with any word on those? I've only found positive reviews so far.