PDA

View Full Version : lever action help

RedStripes
03-15-2010, 11:00 PM
Hey guys I am sorry but the search feature has failed me. I need help deciding on a lever action I can get with no paperwork, Preferably a 30 30 or a potent caliber. I can just pay cash for it right I already DROSed an 870 so I know I can purchase firearms legally.

I want too learn how to shoot a rifle well. I plan on taking an appleseed class first. Too bad my pops only has handguns and can't shoot for **** haha gotta teach myself.

Rukus
03-15-2010, 11:11 PM
It would have to be 50 years old or more.

N_S
03-16-2010, 9:15 AM
Keep in mind not all lever-action rifles fall into the C&R category since they still make them today. Only the 50+ year old ones are.

easy
03-16-2010, 9:32 PM
....and the 'old' ones are more $$$$$

Mssr. Eleganté
03-16-2010, 10:27 PM
The easiest 50+ year old lever action rifles to find in .30-30 are probably the Winchester 94 and the Marlin 336. But you can probably get a brand new one for less money than a 50+ year old C&R one.

Argonaut
03-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Buy a good 22 to learn to shoot with. (Marlin 39's are wonderful).....cheep to shoot and accurate. Then watch for a deal on a lever big bore rifle if that is what you want. There are a lot of C&R Savage M99's and they are superior to any Winchester M94 ever built. They come in a large variety of calibers and are very collectible. They even made a combo large bore rifle 410 shotgun

rkt88edmo
03-16-2010, 10:52 PM
find a used gun and PPT, is the 10day wait too much?

Ross
03-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Hey guys I am sorry but the search feature has failed me. I need help deciding on a lever action I can get with no paperwork, Preferably a 30 30 or a potent caliber. I can just pay cash for it right I already DROSed an 870 so I know I can purchase firearms legally.

I want too learn how to shoot a rifle well. I plan on taking an appleseed class first. Too bad my pops only has handguns and can't shoot for **** haha gotta teach myself.

To me this translates as:

I want to illegally buy a gun. You can trust me though, I once bought an 870. Who's willing to do this for me?

RedStripes
03-20-2010, 10:23 AM
^Then you would be a complete idiot. Unless the gun shop that sold me my 870 about 6 months ago is selling illegal firearms that is. I think I would know if I had committed a felony since then. Mind your business.

Thanks for the help everyone else, still looking around. I agree with the new gun statement I just hate the paperwork. I really want some sort of potent rifle for now until I am 21 and I have my full rights and can get a handgun.

rkt88edmo
03-20-2010, 10:57 AM
What exactly is it that you are wanting to do then, that will help you with your hate for paperwork?

The way everyone else reads that statement is "no paperwork"=transfer not through an FFL.

You haven't made any statements to indicate otherwise, no one is claiming that you are inelligible to own firearms.

There are some instances where transfers without an FFL are ok, but you haven't demonstrated that you understand any of them and so the assumption is that you are asking to do something illegal.

Discussion of illegal activities is not allowed.

Calling people "complete idiots" is a personal insult and also not allowed.

Maybe you would like to better communicate what you are trying to achieve.

^Then you would be a complete idiot. Unless the gun shop that sold me my 870 about 6 months ago is selling illegal firearms that is. I think I would know if I had committed a felony since then. Mind your business.

Thanks for the help everyone else, still looking around. I agree with the new gun statement I just hate the paperwork. I really want some sort of potent rifle for now until I am 21 and I have my full rights and can get a handgun.

justMike
03-20-2010, 12:04 PM
"I really want some sort of potent rifle for now "
This has Big 5 Mosin Nagant writen all over it. Except for the pesky "paperwork" thing.

RedStripes
03-20-2010, 2:21 PM
I just want a decent rifle over 50 years old I can buy with cash I thought that was legal.

Do you need some type of license to do it I know I am not a prohibited person?

I don't want the government to know what I own and I resent the fact that buying firearms involves so much control. When I bought my shotgun I didn't know about all the gun laws I think they are nuts. Would be nice to buy a rifle the old way as I have not been around that long don't see what is so shady about that.

I would just build a rifle out of a flat but I am not confident enough to do it

Mssr. Eleganté
03-20-2010, 2:36 PM
I just want a decent rifle over 50 years old I can buy with cash I thought that was legal.

Do you need some type of license to do it I know I am not a prohibited person?

It's perfectly legal, and as long as both the buyer and seller are California residents (and the seller is not a California licensed dealer) you don't need any type of license.

But for the kind of firearm you are asking about, a lever action, it is going to cost you a lot more than buying a used modern Winchester 94 rifle at a gunshop. When you purchase a long gun at a gunshop in California the firearm is not registered to you. The shop keeps a record of the sale on their premises for 20 years. The government doesn't keep a record of your long gun purchases.

If you are looking to become a more proficient rifleman then you might want to consider buying a 50+ year old C&R bolt action military surplus rifle. You can actually get one of those cheaper off of the Calguns.net classifieds than you can get them in a gunshop. C&R milsurps are much less rare than C&R lever action rifles, so they don't command the same premium. You should also consider getting an M1 Garand from the Civilian Marksmanship Program. You still have to go through the Federal NICS background check, but the rifle is shipped right to your door without CalDOJ knowing about the transaction. You can get one only a little bit more than the cost of a C&R lever action rifle, but you will make up the price with cheaper ammo (30-30 ammo is pretty expensive compared to surplus 30-06). The M1 Garand is much better suited for marksmanship practice.

RedStripes
03-21-2010, 2:58 PM
Thanks I will look into everything you said. Can't wait to get something other than my shotgun

gun toting monkeyboy
03-21-2010, 7:15 PM
Guys, there is nothing wrong with somebody being paranoid about Big Brother. Most of us have been there at some point or another. Personally I wouldn't worry about it all that much Red Stripes. A bolt action C&R would definately be cheaper, and if you pick something like a mosin, cheaper to feed than a .30-30. Look at gun shows, or talk to people in your area, and see who has something that you could buy. Your other option would be to buy a pre-1899 rifle from many of the places online that sell them. Those are considered to be antiques, so the ATF doesn't even view them as firearms. They can be mailed directly to you. The trick to those is finding one chambered in something that you can still find in stores. 10.4x38 Rimfire is a tad scarce these days. But many of the mauser cartridges are stillo out there, and make dandy hunting cartridges.

-Mb

Ross
03-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Looks like the OP didn't last long.