PDA

View Full Version : Official Spring Panoche range cleanup - April 10th, 2010

Turbinator
03-15-2010, 7:12 PM
Hi folks,

It's that time of the year again - time for our twice annual Panoche clean up trip!

Yup, I've spoken to the rangers and we're coordinating with them. They'll be providing heavy duty trash bags for us to use, so this means all you need to do is bring yourself, some work gloves, some basic tools (rakes, dust pans, shovels), water, sunscreen, and a can-do attitude - and we should be all set!

I've agreed April 10th, 2010, Saturday, with the BLM rangers that are in control of Panoche. They will have representation on site that day to assist and help direct, as well as to supply the heavy duty bags I've mentioned.

I'll be bringing my own group of people to help with the cleanup, but we sure could use as many hands and helpers as possible, so if you are interested, kindly RSVP in this thread with your name and who you plan on bringing, if anyone. You will likely need to provide your own transportation to get to Panoche.

Here's a rough idea how the schedule would work:

Morning cleanup
Noon lunch - Please bring your own packed lunch
Lunch onward, it's blasting time
By sunset, head outta there - or those who wish to stay and camp, enjoy

I expect there to be a lot of people attending this meet / shoot / cleanup, so it may be necessary to split the group into smaller, more manageable parties. Just be aware of this if you had some specific type of shooting in mind (e.g. if you want to do long range shooting, but we set up right up against a berm).

Some of you will remember that we were going to help fix a busted gate. Well, the BLM have subcontracted the work out to another federal agency, so our expertise is no longer needed here. Instead, we will go back to our usual standby activity - cleanup.

As the time gets closer, I'll coordinate getting contact info (phone #'s if you want to be in touch the morning of) and exact times. I'll post any relevant details here in this thread.

Thanks everyone, and looking forward to making this spring 2010 clean up a safe and successful one.

Edited to add:
Ok guys, this coming Saturday (less than 1 week away) is it! April 10th. I'm planning to be there around 10AM for the cleanup to begin. Figure we'll clean up for about 2 hours, then get on to some recreational blasting.

I'll show up with trash bags, name tags, and a sign-in sheet. The sign-in sheet helps show the BLM that there is public interest in keeping Panoche open. Please be ready to sign in.

I'll also have my digital camera with me. If you do not wish to be photographed or wish to have your secret identity kept secret, let me know and I will not post your pictures here on Calguns once the event is over. I'll also ask that we do a group picture as well, so please be ready for that if you wish to participate.

Bring lots of water, the weather reports so far look good for the coming weekend - we're looking at warmer weather towards the back end of this week, should be in the low to mid 70's for Saturday. Should be a great day out!

Map
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=109387489967449823564.0004747e0a4a7575764a8

Turby

trashman
03-15-2010, 7:27 PM
Thanks for making this happen Turby - gonna try to join you guys this time.

--Neill

Acorn556
03-15-2010, 8:13 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=109387489967449823564.0004747e0a4a7575764a8

Stolen from another member but it's excellent for those who've never been there before.

Turbinator
03-15-2010, 8:27 PM
Thanks for making this happen Turby - gonna try to join you guys this time.

Awesome, hope you live up to your screen name :) Hah hah! :D

Turby

nagorb
03-15-2010, 8:51 PM
As usual I'm in but cant be sure until the week before.

diginit
03-15-2010, 9:21 PM
I'll put April 10th on my calender. What time is morning?

nagorb
03-15-2010, 9:53 PM
I'll put April 10th on my calender. What time is morning?

"As the time gets closer, I'll coordinate getting contact info (phone #'s if you want to be in touch the morning of) and exact times. I'll post any relevant details here in this thread."

wikidklown
03-15-2010, 10:14 PM
At this point in time, I am 80% of attending this event....

Turbinator
03-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Hah hah, you guys are funny :)

Morning would probably be meet at the front around 10AM or so, same as before. If you guys who live closer by would like to start at 9AM, that's all well and good, I just know that personally I have a hard time getting there by 9AM as I am coordinating several other people in my party.

Turby

nagorb
03-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Hah hah, you guys are funny :)

Morning would probably be meet at the front around 10AM or so, same as before. If you guys who live closer by would like to start at 9AM, that's all well and good, I just know that personally I have a hard time getting there by 9AM as I am coordinating several other people in my party.

Turby

Sounds good! If I end up going I'll get there around the time your all done cleaning:43:

Beatone
03-15-2010, 10:28 PM
I'll try to make this.

doughboy334
03-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Turby, count me in!

Turbinator
03-16-2010, 8:00 AM
Turby, count me in!

Cool - clean your sensor before you go! :D

Turby

Joe Smokey
03-16-2010, 3:01 PM
What's the terrain like during the "wet season"?

It's been raining an awful lot here in the SF Bay Area, and I'm wondering what's going on down there.

I don't have a truck or anything, and just drive a Ford Focus or Toyota Corolla there. I'm wondering if I'll have any issues going up that hill now, or if it's all dried out enough for smaller cars to make the trip.

Is this ever an issue at Panoche?

Acorn556
03-16-2010, 5:04 PM
Should be fine. Last trip it rained while people were shooting and the Mini Cooper made it out with some help. Focus/Corolla will be fine if it's not raining the week or so before. If you need them I have tow straps.

Tweak338
03-16-2010, 7:36 PM
TAG
Possibly will come. And with some people.

ricochet
03-16-2010, 7:39 PM
Just need to arrange transportation but otherwise I'm all in. Not the most able-bodied guy around but I'm sure I can contribute somehow.

gemini1
03-16-2010, 8:26 PM
How long or far is the dirt road if any after you take the exit from I5? is there any uphill climb? how long? Sorry, I'm just a bit concerned with my ride, its about 3 hours from Daly City and its not in its best condition right now.

nagorb
03-16-2010, 9:47 PM
Its not bad my 95 civic makes it fine. If I go I'll be heading down from the peninsula also if you want a ride.

doughboy334
03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
My friends and I might want to go camping, are there any restrictions this time of year?

Turbinator
03-16-2010, 10:35 PM
My friends and I might want to go camping, are there any restrictions this time of year?

Diginit would be the best guy to answer this question, as he is the Panoche camper expert.

Turby

Acorn556
03-17-2010, 4:32 AM
Just remembered I have a hockey game to attend this day. I might show up in the morning for the clean up and shoot a bit before leaving to make the game.

Turbinator
03-17-2010, 8:49 AM
Just remembered I have a hockey game to attend this day. I might show up in the morning for the clean up and shoot a bit before leaving to make the game.

Hockey vs guns? Hmm, decisions... Just remember, everyone who says that they have to leave early, often don't. :)

Turby

nagorb
03-17-2010, 1:39 PM

Is that the one Kristen got tickets to?

Acorn556
03-17-2010, 4:11 PM
yes sir. So if we go we'd have to book it out of there around 2. Meet her @ game (she takes train) and drive her home.

Acorn556
03-17-2010, 4:12 PM
Hockey vs guns? Hmm, decisions... Just remember, everyone who says that they have to leave early, often don't. :)

Turby

Hockey wins.

Last game before playoffs
Birthday gift to myself
Could head to Panoche Sunday, Monday or Tuesday. :cool:

nagorb
03-17-2010, 4:15 PM
yes sir. So if we go we'd have to book it out of there around 2. Meet her @ game (she takes train) and drive her home.

Looks like I'll be missing another panoche clean up.

Turbinator
03-17-2010, 6:49 PM
Looks like I'll be missing another panoche clean up.

Don't forget to pencil in Fall 2010 ahead of time! :)

So you're going to the fights, and a hockey game broke out? :D

Turby

nagorb
03-17-2010, 8:49 PM
Don't forget to pencil in Fall 2010 ahead of time! :)

So you're going to the fights, and a hockey game broke out? :D

Turby

I would love to make it to a clean up, this make three or four that I've missed. Maybe fall 2010 will be the winner.

I might be going down there the week before the official clean up and do a small one of my own.

I hate those pesky hockey games, always getting in the way of the brawls. At the end of every season they should have exhibition fights:43:

diginit
03-26-2010, 10:03 PM

I wouldn't say I'm an expert, But thanks, Turby. There are no restrictions on camping other that the ones on the BLM website. Open fires require a permit, Available at the BLM office in Hollister or from any ranger. Good for a year. No fires during the dry season starting April 15th ending Oct 15th. Park within 15 ft. of the road and clean up the campsite. A shovel is required for natural reasons. This link should clarify everything:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/panoche_tumeys.html

Hope you enjoy and respect it as much as I.

Z ME FLY
03-29-2010, 11:24 AM
I'll go if there isn't a build party going on.

nagorb
03-30-2010, 2:02 AM
I wouldn't say I'm an expert, But thanks, Turby. There are no restrictions on camping other that the ones on the BLM website. Open fires require a permit, Available at the BLM office in Hollister or from any ranger. Good for a year. No fires during the dry season starting April 15th ending Oct 15th. Park within 15 ft. of the road and clean up the campsite. A shovel is required for natural reasons. This link should clarify everything:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/panoche_tumeys.html

Hope you enjoy and respect it as much as I.

That pretty much sums it up. Just remember to shoot in a safe direction.

doughboy334
03-30-2010, 2:19 AM
Don't think we're doing camping anymore but thanks for the pointers!

Turbinator
03-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Hi all, just a quick check in. We are less than 2 weeks away from the Panoche cleanup trip on April 10th. I've got a list of people who have expressed an interest in attending the session. To those who have RSVP'ed already, thank you. To anyone else interested, please let me know via this thread.

I'll post a couple more organizational notes on the trip as we get into the beginning of next week.

Thanks!
Turby

diginit
04-02-2010, 7:33 PM
Don't think we're doing camping anymore but thanks for the pointers!

Wht not? The zombies won't get you....

ricochet
04-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Couldn't arrange transportation. I'll have to beg off (I love shootin' at Panoche; no range nazi's; the only rules is common sense, awareness & agreement :-)

Turbinator
04-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Couldn't arrange transportation. I'll have to beg off (I love shootin' at Panoche; no range nazi's; the only rules is common sense, awareness & agreement :-)

Where are you located - perhaps someone else who is going can give you a lift.

My car is already full, so my apologies, I can't offer a seat.

Turby

ricochet
04-03-2010, 8:09 AM
I'm in North San Jose off 101, 880 or 680 by the Berryessa Flea Market (680 & Berryessa). I can bring a popup shade, chairs and/or 2 person table (shooting bench) if there's room. I can spring for gas too.

Turbinator
04-04-2010, 10:22 AM
Guys, added some info in the top post. Hope you're all ready to get out for some cleaning and shooting!

Turby

ricochet
04-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Saw the Update in the first post. If my disabled friend is up to it (non CGN so far), we'll be there. I know it's buried in these tons of posts but can the Update on the 1'st post include best set of directions and "where to meet". Maybe update on lunch too. Bring your own, pot luck, supplied by rangers, ???

Being disabled (and I have handicap parking :-) , can I call dibs on a relatively flat spot to shoot from ?

doughboy334
04-04-2010, 12:28 PM
I can't wait to come back here! Hope the weather is good

Turbinator
04-04-2010, 2:18 PM
Saw the Update in the first post. If my disabled friend is up to it (non CGN so far), we'll be there. I know it's buried in these tons of posts but can the Update on the 1'st post include best set of directions and "where to meet". Maybe update on lunch too. Bring your own, pot luck, supplied by rangers, ???

Being disabled (and I have handicap parking :-) , can I call dibs on a relatively flat spot to shoot from ?

Ricochet, no problem man, we'll do everything we can to reasonably accomodate you!

Turby

Turbinator
04-04-2010, 2:18 PM
I can't wait to come back here! Hope the weather is good

Another reminder - clean your sensor :D

Turby

tommygunr
04-04-2010, 2:56 PM
Ok I'm a big maybe, if I show I'll bring my steel .

Beatone
04-04-2010, 6:47 PM
As much as I want to help I won't be able to make it.

ricochet
04-04-2010, 6:50 PM
Appreciate that more than u know. As long as my friend doesn't flare up, we'll be there to make some noise boys (& girls :-)

Ricochet, no problem man, we'll do everything we can to reasonably accomodate you!

Turby

Luieburger
04-05-2010, 10:01 PM
My friend pMcW and I were planning a trip to Panoche on the 9th and 10th and just recently saw this thread. We're going to head up Friday night and camp for the evening. We'd love to help out with cleanup.

Where are you planning on setting up for your post-lunch shooting? pMcW and I have favorite spot where we like to do long-range shooting as well as run-n-guns, and we don't want our camp to conflict with your plans. Safety is always our primary concern.

We'll be glad to set up with you guys if you're in the area.

pMcW
04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
My friend pMcW and I were planning a trip to Panoche on the 9th and 10th and just recently saw this thread. We're going to head up Friday night and camp for the evening. We'd love to help out with cleanup.

Where are you planning on setting up for your post-lunch shooting? pMcW and I have favorite spot where we like to do long-range shooting as well as run-n-guns, and we don't want our camp to conflict with your plans. Safety is always our primary concern.

We'll be glad to set up with you guys if you're in the area.

+1

Looking forward to helping with cleanup, and meeting some other Calgunners.

Turbinator
04-06-2010, 6:41 AM
Luie / pmcw, we usually start by cleaning up the first entry area - the canyon / 3rd gate area, as we call it. From there, given the size of the group, I think we'll split off into different areas just to keep the size of the shooting groups manageable. I don't exactly know where we'll all end up, but I am guessing you'll be safe and ok at your favorite spot. The area is so large, we all should be able to enjoy the day safely without any trouble.

Looking forward to seeing you folks there!

Turby

diginit
04-06-2010, 7:30 PM
I think we'll split off into different areas just to keep the size of the shooting groups manageable.
Turby

LOL... You know why I'm splitting from the group....:84:
How many people are going? I'll bring my rake. Myself, My guns, Maybe even some ammo and a little Bannerite. Oh! And my little weber. Bring something to throw on if you like! Got a case of clays and a thrower. You'd better bring a shotgun!

doughboy334
04-06-2010, 9:37 PM
I'm still trying to make it, but I got scheduled last minute to work a night event at the museum on Sat. Looks like I'll be leaving the party early around 3:30ish...

skscj
04-06-2010, 9:41 PM
Im gonna try to make it. Ill bring my shotgun this time James, i also got my own table now. Thanks for sharing yours.

Turbinator
04-07-2010, 8:48 AM
LOL... You know why I'm splitting from the group....:84:

Hey, no problem, man. Those who wish to go with you are welcome to go join the festivities. :)

How many people are going? I'll bring my rake. Myself, My guns, Maybe even some ammo and a little Bannerite. Oh! And my little weber. Bring something to throw on if you like! Got a case of clays and a thrower. You'd better bring a shotgun!

I think we have at least about 20 people total going, or so it seems.

Turby

Turbinator
04-07-2010, 8:49 AM
I'm still trying to make it, but I got scheduled last minute to work a night event at the museum on Sat. Looks like I'll be leaving the party early around 3:30ish...

I see, excuses - since you didn't clean your sensor? :)

Turby

Alexthewelder
04-07-2010, 9:50 AM
I might come thru. never been but it sounds like fun:)

1919A4
04-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Hey guys,
I just wanted to give you a heads up. Just in case you go to the usual spot where the last 8 or 9 calguns shoots have taken place. I went last week and the flower sniffers have decided to build a camping spot right at the top of the ridge above the usaul place where the shoots mostley take place. You cant see if from the shooting spot. I would take a drive up to the top of the hill before you set up. While were were shooting. This dummy ignored all the gun fire. Which was allot and set up camp. He came down and made it out like it was our fault for being there. So to prevent any issues we moved. Totally sucked to pack up and move but it was the right thing to do.
Brian

BroncoBob
04-07-2010, 1:43 PM
Hey guys,
I just wanted to give you a heads up. Just in case you go to the usual spot where the last 8 or 9 calguns shoots have taken place. I went last week and the flower sniffers have decided to build a camping spot right at the top of the ridge above the usaul place where the shoots mostley take place. You cant see if from the shooting spot. I would take a drive up to the top of the hill before you set up. While were were shooting. This dummy ignored all the gun fire. Which was allot and set up camp. He came down and made it out like it was our fault for being there. So to prevent any issues we moved. Totally sucked to pack up and move but it was the right thing to do.
Brian

:eek: You've got to be kidding................ What a moron. Good move on your part. Sometimes you have to think for people like that.

pMcW
04-07-2010, 6:36 PM
+1

Looking forward to helping with cleanup, and meeting some other Calgunners.

Ah, nevermind. Turns out I had other plans that I'd forgotten about. Next time, I hope!

ricochet
04-07-2010, 7:41 PM
My transport fell thru ... I'm still looking at other options but if I'm one of those 20 bodies, make it 19 ...

diginit
04-07-2010, 8:47 PM
Hey guys,
Brian

You mean some dummy set up camp downrange while you were shooting?
Unfknbelievable!

diginit
04-07-2010, 8:57 PM
My transport fell thru ... I'm still looking at other options but if I'm one of those 20 bodies, make it 19 ...

I'd give you a ride, But I may camp overnight. I'm not an as:chris:. But you would be stuck in the desert with an old man and a 45, drinking tequila around the campfire with a more than occasional muzzle flash. :43:
My Bad....

nagorb
04-07-2010, 9:01 PM
I'd give you a ride, But I may camp overnight. I'm not an as:chris:. But you would be stuck in the desert with an old man and a 45, drinking tequila around the campfire with a more than occasional muzzle flash. :43:
My Bad....

:eek: dont do it!

ricochet
04-07-2010, 9:20 PM
ROFL :-) ...

I'm not normally a camper but I've got a sleepin' bag if yer tents big enough. I'm old, I got a .45 and I drink Jack Daniels. This might work. I'll PM w/details

My Bad....

diginit
04-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Don't do something I have been doing for 20 years? That's like asking a rabbit to hop into the skillet, a bear not to sht in the woods, or a snake not to bite...:rolleyes:

ricochet
04-07-2010, 10:51 PM
I think he was warning me :-)

Don't do something I have been doing for 20 years? That's like asking a rabbit to hop into the skillet, a bear not to sht in the woods, or a snake not to bite...:rolleyes:

diginit
04-08-2010, 7:53 PM
You sure? I've shot with him a few times...I think he was warning about drinking. It's funny that shooting my 1911 has become a reflex action through the years. A couple of drinks or not. I don't even have to think about it's position. Out of the holster to target, safety off, FIRE! reload, chamber, safety on, and off to the side to reholster, avoiding my foot and the person that may be standing to my right.. I've seen other shooters expressions and relief when they have seen me holster my weapon without swiping their feet many times. It's kinda funny to see their eyes wide and then sigh.
My hand seems to have a mind of it's own. Even with my single actions and rifles. It's a trained muscle reflex. All shooters should have this in time. Unfortunately newer shooters don't. I don't blame anyone being apprehencive. I've been barrel swept a few times myself with 12 guage shotguns....
Maybe that's why I am more aware of my barrels' direction.

ricochet
04-08-2010, 8:09 PM
I was thinking he was teasingly warning me cuz of the "holy crap bug eyed" smily that he used. Yeah, I picked up a friends new CZ pistola the other day (I want one) and unloaded a clip into center mass. Shoulda seen his jaw drop. Like you say; muscle reflex. It's also comfortableness, experience, learning good habits and a well honed, healthy respect for the gun (it's a zen thing :-)

Anyways, I don't want to hijack Turby's post; and we return to our regularly scheduled programming ... back to you Turby

You sure? I've shot with him a few times...I think he was warning about drinking. It's funny that shooting my 1911 has become a reflex action through the years. A couple of drinks or not. I don't even have to think about it's position. Out of the holster to target, safety off, FIRE! reload, chamber, safety on, and off to the side to reholster, avoiding my foot and the person that may be standing to my right.. I've seen other shooters expressions and relief when they have seen me holster my weapon without swiping their feet many times. It's kinda funny to see their eyes wide and then sigh.
My hand seems to have a mind of it's own. Even with my single actions and rifles. It's a trained muscle reflex. All shooters should have this in time. Unfortunately newer shooters don't. I don't blame anyone being apprehencive. I've been barrel swept a few times myself with 12 guage shotguns....

nagorb
04-08-2010, 8:48 PM

Actually I was joking, like don't go shooting with him hes crazy!!!! hence the smily I used. Lighten up ;)

I've heard many people complain about shooting with you for many reasons other than drinking, mainly that you like to shoot the ground 5ft in front of the line.

diginit
04-08-2010, 9:08 PM
Excuse me? I have NEVER shot the ground 5' from the line. Even on a single action quickdraw. I'll throw a coke can out 15' and knock it back to 20 and then to 25 or 30'. Or mag dump my 1911 at 20 ft or so. So WTF? You really think a gunfight will be at 50+yrds? Exaggerations SUCK! And the idiot that said I shoot at 5 ft is full if it.
Have fun at the shoot. Later...

nagorb
04-08-2010, 9:55 PM
Except I've seen you do it myself.

Z ME FLY
04-08-2010, 9:57 PM
Think I might be missing this one, the UFC is on this weekend.

nagorb
04-08-2010, 10:00 PM
Think I might be missing this one, the UFC is on this weekend.

It seems I always have something to do during the cleanups:mad: last year it was a field trip and this year its the last game of the season for the sharks. Oh well I guess its just an excuse to get extra drunk.

Turbinator
04-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Ok, so for those who can make it, are we mostly set? Any last minute questions or issues?

Turby

tommygunr
04-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Nothing wrong with shooting something 5ft in front of you as long as the round is headed down range afterward.

hey Ric if you still need a ride send me a pm i have room . You guys probably won't want to camp out with the heavy ran projected on Sunday.

Acorn556
04-09-2010, 3:37 AM
I'll be cleaning my gun at home alone while you're all out admiring each other's aim.:50:

BroncoBob
04-09-2010, 10:12 AM
I'll be cleaning my gun at home alone while you're all out admiring each other's aim.:50:

:eek:

nagorb
04-09-2010, 4:33 PM

Actually well be eating bbq, drinking beers and watching the sharks kick some ***! hope the game will be as good as last nights!

diginit
04-09-2010, 7:36 PM
Except I've seen you do it myself.

LOL.. I was putting holes in a can. Not the ground. But what does it matter. A bullet at a 40 degree angle penetrates the earth. It doesn't bounce like on concrete. :TFH: This is not a range. We dont have to shoot straight ahead while sitting at a bench at 25, 50, and 100 yds. Like a bunch of trained sea lions. We can practice shooting the way we may actually need to shoot. DUH... I think these "many people" should stick to the range. You are young, need supervision, and are not accostumed to real shooting.
If so many people complain about me drinking, Then why don't you take a count of open beers on the line next time. And don't forget to count the one in your hand. See Ya!

goober
04-09-2010, 7:46 PM
LOL.. I was putting holes in a can.
<...lots of stuff...>
See Ya!

dood, off topic, but spell check your sigline. :o

diginit
04-09-2010, 9:08 PM
dood, off topic, but spell check your sigline. :o

Thanks, punched a C instead of an S. Hey... sounds the same to me...
If you have read the entire thread, My response is right on topic with the post I am responding to. We have the right to defend ourselves in Ca. And it does refer to previous CG Panoche shoots.
Glad I did not take the responsibility of organizing these cleanups as CG suggested last year. I hate dealing with people that say they will be there, But then find any excuse to back out when it involves a couple hours of work. I am a carpenter and alittle work won't destroy my manicure or delicate complection. :rolleyes: I don't mind 50 bucks in gas and 2.5 hours driving to help to keep our public lands open.
Goober.... Is that grape or strawberry? :) Just kidding, I love that stuff. But it is extreamly difficult to recongnize authority with that screen name. May I suggest a revision of some sort? Maybe something like Banner, or BiteTheBullet. Something with an impact...

You should have known by my avatar I couild be a bit of a smartie....:chris:
All in good fun. Have a great Day!

See you tomorrow Turby!

Turbinator
04-09-2010, 9:29 PM
See you tomorrow Turby!

Wow, I think this thread wandered a little bit.

Yeah! See you tomorrow! I'll be bringing name tags for everyone (need to write 'em tomorrow) - should be a great time!

Turby

diginit
04-09-2010, 9:45 PM
Certainly made me wonder about alot of things. Like major critics and Hypocrites. You sure you want me there? I'm really dangerous and scary ya know...A threat to all mankind.

goober
04-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks, punched a C instead of an S. Hey... sounds the same to me...
If you have read the entire thread, My response is right on topic with the post I am responding to. We have the right to defend ourselves in Ca. And it does refer to previous CG Panoche shoots.
Glad I did not take the responsibility of organizing these cleanups as CG suggested last year. I hate dealing with people that say they will be there, But then find any excuse to back out when it involves a couple hours of work. I am a carpenter and alittle work won't destroy my manicure or delicate complection. :rolleyes: I don't mind 50 bucks in gas and 2.5 hours driving to help to keep our public lands open.
Goober.... Is that grape or strawberry? :) Just kidding, I love that stuff. But it is extreamly difficult to recongnize authority with that screen name. May I suggest a revision of some sort? Maybe something like Banner, or BiteTheBullet. Something with an impact...

You should have known by my avatar I couild be a bit of a smartie....:chris:
All in good fun. Have a great Day!

See you tomorrow Turby!

diginit-
i wasn't attacking you, your choice of username, or anything about you or your involvement in this event or CalGuns in general.
i only referenced a misspelling in your sig that i think detracted from your intended message. if i was somehow out of line by mentioning it, please accept my apologies.
perhaps the other posts and topics you have responded to in this (and other) threads have predisposed you to reacting to mine in the way you did. if so, that's cool.
in any event, take care, and be assured i was not attacking or criticizing you, just trying to help you look like less of a doofus.

it is true that i have been warned in the past to better choose my battles...

diginit
04-09-2010, 10:45 PM
No appoligies necessary, Bud. Just givin' you a hard time. Like I said, All in Good Fun! I wasn't insulted by you, But I was by Nagorbs' post. Just felt I had to clarify things on this thread. I've said before. I don't dish out Sh*t, and I don't take it either.
I was given my screen name because I dig for antique bottles. Hence "Diginit" My oldest bottle found is dated 1840. 10 yrs before Ca became a state. It was an incredible feeling to realize I was the first person to hold this artifact in over 150 years. Anyways...
What the heck is a Nagorb anyways? Like an Elf? A rodent? What? :)
Glad he changed his avatar from 2 lions mating... That was kind of sick and definetly pronounced the mentality of the user. :TFH:

Ya, I'm still alittle teed off. Hypocracy seems to reign in Ca.

nagorb
04-09-2010, 10:58 PM
So how am I being a hypocrite? You might want to look up the definition. I bough tickets to the sharks game months before I ever knew this was going on.

If you want to keep rambling on in incoherent posts about how great you are and everyone else sucks we can meet up and have a little chat, I Aint busy tonight.

diginit
04-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Start at post #68 and go from there...

nagorb
04-09-2010, 11:13 PM
How is any of that being a hypocrite?

Acorn556
04-09-2010, 11:42 PM
:eek:

I can see the audience is in attendance.

Bob did you see the thread when Mike and I went camping? Came back with all our toes and fingers somehow.

Acorn556
04-09-2010, 11:48 PM
Glad he changed his avatar from 2 lions mating... That was kind of sick and definetly pronounced the mentality of the user. :TFH:

You were displeased with someone who, for all you know, could be an expert on the mating rituals of an entire species and traveled to a foreign country to compile years worth of data to present in front of the scientific community and contribute more towards understanding their reproduction to prevent further extinsion?

I believe the mentality portrayed through the avitar comes across is up to the individual looking at the picture. Some see the glass as half full, some half empty. Some look at a picture of two lions reproducing and find it disturbing and others look at the same image of humans and become eroused and condone activities resulting in discharge of reproductive fluids.

Gio
04-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Too bad I have a b-day party to attend tomorrow. Can't wait to see some pics from tomorrows activities.

-Gio

nagorb
04-10-2010, 12:25 AM
just trying to help you look like less of a doofus.

:rofl2:

Acorn556
04-10-2010, 4:12 AM
just trying to help you look like less of a doofus.

Fixed it for ya.
;)

SHARKS GAME!! FAN NIGHT!!!! I have the cotton for the nose bleeds.

Turbinator
04-10-2010, 6:46 AM
Ok guys, a little bit of banter back and forth is fine, but seems like diginit was truly offended, so let's bury the hatchet and move on.

BACK ON TOPIC - great day today! :D

Turby

nagorb
04-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Looks like its going to rain up here, hope its warm and sunny down there. Good luck, and pics would be nice.

wikidklown
04-10-2010, 11:25 AM
You were displeased with someone who, for all you know, could be an expert on the mating rituals of an entire species and traveled to a foreign country to compile years worth of data to present in front of the scientific community and contribute more towards understanding their reproduction to prevent further extinsion?

Wow Nag could be an animal porn expert:43: LOL

Sorry my 80% came down to 0% got some Fam bizz to take care off..... Have fun at the clean up!

ricochet
04-10-2010, 3:15 PM
Looking at the gate map at http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=109387489967449823564.0004747e0a4a7575764a8
and what I recall and have read in various posts, I'm understanding ...

- 1'st gate (main gate; intersects with main road), the gate to the PH access road (but it is still private land till you get to the 2'nd gate)
PRESUMABLY THIS WOULD BE CLOSED IF THERE WAS A FIRE OR PH GOT SHUT DOWN OR THE RANCHERS/FARMERS GOT PO'ed

- 2'nd gate (same road), allows you on to PH BLM property
DURING FIRE SEASON, THE 3'rd GATE IS CLOSED TO TRAFFIC AND YOU CAN SHOOT FROM HERE TO THE 3'rd GATE
(if I recall, there is a short dirt flat spot to plink into a burm, 25 yards or so; 1/2 dozen person firing line)

- 3'rd gate (same road), allows access to interior of PH and will be closed during fire season to traffic
BUT YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR CAR HERE IF YOU WANT TO HIKE YOUR GEAR IN AND GO LONG DISTANCE SHOOTING

Constructive critique welcome

-

diginit
04-10-2010, 10:03 PM
Looking at the gate map at http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=109387489967449823564.0004747e0a4a7575764a8
and what I recall and have read in various posts, I'm understanding ...

- 1'st gate (main gate; intersects with main road), the gate to the PH access road (but it is still private land till you get to the 2'nd gate)
PRESUMABLY THIS WOULD BE CLOSED IF THERE WAS A FIRE OR PH GOT SHUT DOWN OR THE RANCHERS/FARMERS GOT PO'ed

- 2'nd gate (same road), allows you on to PH BLM property
DURING FIRE SEASON, THE 3'rd GATE IS CLOSED TO TRAFFIC AND YOU CAN SHOOT FROM HERE TO THE 3'rd GATE
(if I recall, there is a short dirt flat spot to plink into a burm, 25 yards or so; 1/2 dozen person firing line)

- 3'rd gate (same road), allows access to interior of PH and will be closed during fire season to traffic
BUT YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR CAR HERE IF YOU WANT TO HIKE YOUR GEAR IN AND GO LONG DISTANCE SHOOTING

Constructive critique welcome

-

OMG, Someone finally got it right...:eek: I don't know how many times I have explained this here.
Sorry you couldn't make the trip. You get your thing done for "the man" today?
I Can't believe I didn't take one pic. I was having too much fun to turn on the cellphone. But there may be some on the way anyways.

ricochet
04-10-2010, 10:52 PM
I like to reduce things to bullet points, good simple way to make things clear. Thanks for the confirm.

Did I remember right, the shootin place outside the 3'rd gate is pretty short and narrow ? Got part of my work chit done; more manana.

Sure missed goin' to a PH event. It's the way shootin' should be where the the rule is common sense. Holsters, rapid fire, shoot at something besides boring paper, etc ... NO RANGE NAZI's :-)

Yep, lookin' forward to the pics. Like the idea of the clean up to "show" that gun owners are responsible. Would be nice to see about putting together some community events where the news can show a bunch of CGN apparel picking up trash in the park, serving food to homeless, etc ...

And a hardy huzzah to Turby !!

One thing I've thought of for a while is some sort of process where if someone feels it's time for a cease fire (target change); they can get a consensus from the firing line and a designated person could then use an air horn to signal.
- 2 long blasts signal a 2 minute warning
- 2 minutes later, 1 very long blast is weapons down & safe
(preferably actions open)
- 2 short blasts to signal the range is cold
- 3 short blasts to signal range is going hot

Something like that anyway ...

When I went there before, the process to cold the range just didn't seem to be real safe (too much room for error).

Turbinator
04-11-2010, 12:16 AM
Hey guys, so we were there! Diginit and tommygnr were there. My friends were there. We didn't run into any other Calgunners - what gives?

Turby

Gio
04-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Hey guys, so we were there! Diginit and tommygnr were there. My friends were there. We didn't run into any other Calgunners - what gives?

Turby

That sucks :( Maybe people went to Tumey Hills instead :confused::confused::confused:

Thanks to those of you that did show up and clean up ;)

-Gio

nagorb
04-11-2010, 2:12 AM

Turby

WTF!!!!

we need to correct this! clean up on the 17th!!

nagorb
04-11-2010, 2:24 AM
I'm supposed to go to the build party next weekend but this needs to be corrected,new cleanup 04/17/10!!!!!!!!

doughboy334
04-11-2010, 2:45 AM
Sorry Turby,
I didn't get my sensor cleaned so I couldn't go.

lol jk, real reason was I got scheduled to work a night shift at the museum and I didn't want to risk not making it back on time. Bummer no one else went though :(. I thought the turnout was going to number in the 20s?

Turbinator
04-11-2010, 9:17 AM
Yeah guys, I don't know what happened to the Calguns contingency, I had 10 people in my group, plus diginit and tommygnr, there were 12 people out there total. We met up with this old coot by chance who was there shooting rifles, looked like he had been going to Panoche his whole life. He didn't appear to be a Calgunner but he was cool and easy going to talk to.

It was windy as heck - made it tough to truly enjoy the outing but we stayed until about 6:30PM, I know that diginit and tommygnr stayed even longer.

I have only a few pictures from the trip, my friends were the ones doing most of the photo taking this time, so I'll have to go get the pictures from them.

I know a few of you had other obligations and couldn't make it. No problem. I just thought there was more interest than 2 other Calgunners in taking care of Panoche? Nonetheless, I'll put together a Fall 2010 Panoche Cleanup Trip later this year.

Oh by the way, if y'alls are actually going out on the 17th of Aprill, the first spot where the gate used to be (and is now gone) is now pretty tidy - thanks to tommygnr's help. I suggest you head in and find another spot to clean up - there's a spot beyond the green gate that is usually closed - that spot needs some attention, so I would suggest focusing the cleanup effort on that area.

Turby

ricochet
04-11-2010, 9:41 AM
While it's OK to shoot after 4-25 passed the 3'rd gate will it be OK to take cars passed the 3'rd gate ? Assuming that's OK and I finish my work chit and I arrange transport, I'm there.

Turbinator
04-11-2010, 3:29 PM
While it's OK to shoot after 4-25 passed the 3'rd gate will it be OK to take cars passed the 3'rd gate ? Assuming that's OK and I finish my work chit and I arrange transport, I'm there.

I thought if fire season has started (which starts April 15th or thereabouts), any motor vehicles past the 3rd gate was a no-go. Even if there is no gate, if there is a sign or some notice posted that it is fire season, my impression is that you shouldn't be tooling around past the 3rd gate.

The best way to tell is to ask the rangers. I'll try to remember to ask next time I'm in touch with one.

Turby

nagorb
04-11-2010, 3:51 PM
I thought if fire season has started (which starts April 15th or thereabouts), any motor vehicles past the 3rd gate was a no-go. Even if there is no gate, if there is a sign or some notice posted that it is fire season, my impression is that you shouldn't be tooling around past the 3rd gate.

The best way to tell is to ask the rangers. I'll try to remember to ask next time I'm in touch with one.

Turby

I'll give them a call Monday. If its closed to cars then that would pretty much make it pointless to try a cleanup.

ricochet
04-11-2010, 4:01 PM
Great, thanks Turby. I was thinking that too and unless the rangers want to make an exception for CGN to do a clean-up, a 4-17 do-over may not work (unless hikeable areas need clean up).

Turby

Hank Dodge
04-11-2010, 7:03 PM

Turby

Don't know what to tell you. My wife and boy came out with me on Thursday (couldn't make the Saturday date) and we spent the afternoon cleaning up things out there. Heck, we spent the most time at that first turnout to the left as you crest the hill just entering the BLM. That area was a disgusting mess when we arrived. We packed out what we had room for and left a good pile of **** there for the crew on Saturday to load out...I hope it got picked up by them. I can't believe folks leave that place in such a state, it would serve us right if the rangers closed it down. I was disgusted to see how folks treat the area there. Why do people just dump this crap? It gives us shooters and off-roaders a bad name to have people littering and degrading the area like that. Hopefully the rangers on Saturday saw that we do care about the area. I did make a point of signing in on there log as a CALGUNNER there to help clean up the range.

Turbinator
04-12-2010, 7:44 AM
Don't know what to tell you. My wife and boy came out with me on Thursday (couldn't make the Saturday date) and we spent the afternoon cleaning up things out there. Heck, we spent the most time at that first turnout to the left as you crest the hill just entering the BLM.

Hank, we definitely noticed that someone was out there and had cleaned up the area. You did a great job - everything was still in a nice pile at the first turnout. We bagged a few more things from the canyon and added to the pile, and I'll be contacting the rangers to let them know they can truck out the rest of the stuff. Thanks for the great work and thanks to your family for pitching in to help!

Turby

Hank Dodge
04-12-2010, 9:13 AM
No problem, I was happy to help out where we could. I thought it would be a good lesson for my young boy. Even he thought it was wrong and careless to dump crap all over an area like that. I explained to him that it was because of this kind of behavior that places we used to shoot, camp, and 4-wheel as kids are now closed to the public. It sucks that it has become like that.....

DeanW66
04-12-2010, 9:46 AM
My wife and boy came out with me on Thursday (couldn't make the Saturday date) and we spent the afternoon cleaning up things out there.

My wife and I were also out there on Thursday, couldn't make Sat. First time we've been out there so I'm not 100% sure about how to describe which area we were at. We were in the white Dodge 3500, were you in the Dodge that I stopped and asked about your bumper?

Anyways, we also brought back more with us than we brought in.

Dean

Hank Dodge
04-12-2010, 10:32 AM
We were in the white Dodge 3500, were you in the Dodge that I stopped and asked about your bumper?

Dean

Yep, that was me! I guess we were coming in as you were going out. We had a good time driving around and checking out the BLM area. PM me with your e-mail and I'll give you more input both good and bad on that bumper.

Hank

DeanW66
04-14-2010, 6:46 AM
PM on its way.

nagorb
04-14-2010, 10:05 AM
Sorry guys I completely forgot to call the office. I'll give them a call later and let you all know about this weekend.

BroncoBob
04-14-2010, 1:09 PM
Sorry guys I completely forgot to call the office. I'll give them a call later and let you all know about this weekend.

Mike, your avatar is awesome!

nagorb
04-14-2010, 2:07 PM
Mike, your avatar is awesome!

LETS GO SHARKS!

first game is tonight at 7:30.

nagorb
04-14-2010, 4:12 PM
So a bit of bad news, because the gate that is usually closed during fire season has been removed, they will now be locking the 1st gate.

Thanks to all the *** holes who ripped it down last year:mad:

goober
04-14-2010, 4:16 PM
So a bit of bad news, because the gate that is usually closed during fire season has been removed, they will now be locking the 1st gate.

ooooh THAT's effin GREAT :mad: did they say if they are going to lock it starting tomorrow (the usual date)?

nagorb
04-14-2010, 4:24 PM
ooooh THAT's effin GREAT :mad: did they say if they are going to lock it starting tomorrow (the usual date)?

Yes tomorrow, April 15th.

Sh00tFurst
04-14-2010, 4:28 PM

Way to go a**holes who ripped the gate. Boo to you!!!

skscj
04-14-2010, 4:51 PM
Is Tumy Hills still open, or do they close that also.

Gio
04-14-2010, 4:53 PM
Is Tumy Hills still open, or do they close that also.

Tumey Gate is getting locked at noon tomorrow I spoke with the BLM Office yesterday :(

-Gio

skscj
04-14-2010, 4:55 PM
Is there anywere we can shoot on BLM land after tomorrow?

Jel
04-14-2010, 5:16 PM

We should have taken care of that gate when we had the chance...I know we all started talking about it. This really does suck.

I really have a lot of hate for the dip$4!t$ that ripped that gate down.

http://fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu.net/images/fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

skscj
04-14-2010, 5:42 PM
We should have taken care of that gate when we had the chance...I know we all started talking about it. This really does suck.

I really have a lot of hate for the dip$4!t$ that ripped that gate down.

http://fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu.net/images/fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg

+ all calgunners...

doughboy334
04-14-2010, 6:18 PM
yay no more shooting at either Tumey or Panoche for a while.... :(

Turbinator
04-14-2010, 7:10 PM
Well, for all we know, the same idiots who tore out the 3rd gate will also tear out the first gate! (fingers crossed that they DON'T...!)

Turby

nagorb
04-14-2010, 7:17 PM
Well, for all we know, the same idiots who tore out the 3rd gate will also tear out the first gate! (fingers crossed that they DON'T...!)

Turby

I sure hope they don't

ricochet
04-14-2010, 7:25 PM
How can they close the 1'st gate ? Doesn't that lead to several homes before PH (unless they provide those residents keys). Anyone into bribing a farmer for his key :-)

BroncoBob
04-14-2010, 8:40 PM
This gentlemen is a major suck.................

Hank Dodge
04-15-2010, 10:03 AM
Question on Panoche and the gates....

Last Thursday was the first time I had been out there. We drove around quite a bit checking out the place. Where was that damaged gate supposed to be? Does it stop access past the top of the rise where that first turnout was that we cleaned up? If that's the case, it really sucks to not be able to get back in there any further. That was some pretty country. I guess I can almost understand closing it in high fire danger, but that would be basically closing the whole BLM area down, would it not? That main road running through there was very well maintained. I would think that they could leave that open and just restrict the "off road" travel.

At any rate, closing the main gate will suck for those local folks that use that first turnout as a range. I didn't see much interest shooting in that particular place myself, but judging from the amount of crap we cleaned up there someone does. I much preferred to get further out into the BLM area. Don't know the whole story on that gate issue, but keep me in the loop if this stuff comes up again. I have a portable welder and would be willing to help out if I can.

Hank

diginit
04-15-2010, 6:47 PM
Did I miss something in the last few pages? The first gate is going to be locked? Or are they installing new gates at the top?
Looks like it's back to the canyon for me. It's just a drag to hike in. And sorry, No. I'm not going to see this spot trashed and closed.

tommygunr
04-15-2010, 7:38 PM
I think i'll just use the back enterance 36.578752, -120.694851 it's a little furthure down the road. Man this sucks but at least its not completly closed like Clear Creek.

nagorb
04-15-2010, 8:16 PM
Did I miss something in the last few pages? The first gate is going to be locked? Or are they installing new gates at the top?
Looks like it's back to the canyon for me. It's just a drag to hike in. And sorry, No. I'm not going to see this spot trashed and closed.

The person I spoke with at the field office said that they would lock the gate at the intersection of Little Panoche Road and the Panoche Access Road.

Turbinator
04-15-2010, 11:39 PM
The person I spoke with at the field office said that they would lock the gate at the intersection of Little Panoche Road and the Panoche Access Road.

Which I think is what we call Gate #1 - where the big brown board is, and the sign in sheets - yes?

Turby

nagorb
04-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Which I think is what we call Gate #1 - where the big brown board is, and the sign in sheets - yes?

Turby

Yep that's the one:mad:

Looks like I'll be heading to ukiah from now on.

BroncoBob
04-16-2010, 6:56 AM
I think i'll just use the back enterance 36.578752, -120.694851 it's a little furthure down the road. Man this sucks but at least its not completly closed like Clear Creek.

Tom, since I don't have a GPS exactly where is the back enterance off of Little Panoche Rd?

Purple K
04-16-2010, 7:03 AM
What is BLM's logic behind asking for assistance to build a gate and then locking us out? The welding skills that I'd offered to help can just as easily be used to turn that new gate into itty-bitty pieces.

nagorb
04-16-2010, 7:52 AM
Thats to Tumey hills though which I thought was also locked.

Tom, since I don't have a GPS exactly where is the back enterance off of Little Panoche Rd?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=36.578752,+-120.694851&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=%2B36%C2%B0+34'+43.51%22,+-120%C2%B0+41'+41.46%22&gl=us&ei=bnnIS7DjFZP8tQOsq4GYCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ8gEwAA

Turbinator
04-16-2010, 10:22 PM
I haven't had a chance to call the rangers yet. I guess some of you have placed calls, but I would like to ask them questions along the lines of the discontent that you folks are expressing here.

Back on original topic - I didn't take a lot of pics from the trip this time. Here are a few pics:

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_9277b.jpg
Above: Look what we saw out there! Simply amazing. They came up over the hill and just started wandering around. It was surreal.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_9291b.jpg
Above: Our setup, with all of the sheep in the background.

http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu225/turbinator_870/DSC_9314b.jpg
Above: The group that made it out on April 10th.

Turby

ricochet
04-16-2010, 10:34 PM
Got a feeling that if diginit had camped, he would have cooked up some muttin stew; kidding as that would definitely shut down PH. But all them 4 legged targets ...

Actually, that is very cool.

Did they scatter when you guys started blasting (away from them) ? Or were they used to it ?

Turbinator
04-16-2010, 10:43 PM
Amazingly, with all the rapid fire and blasting, the sheep did NOT scatter at all.. in fact, they just sort of hung out there on the hillside while we shot. We did not shoot in their direction, out of fear that we would hit one with a stray shot or something.

Turby

nagorb
04-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Amazingly, with all the rapid fire and blasting, the sheep did NOT scatter at all.. in fact, they just sort of hung out there on the hillside while we shot. We did not shoot in their direction, out of fear that we would hit one with a stray shot or something.

Turby

Similar thing happened to us at tumey hills, except they were downrange from us. I guess they don't care about loud noise.

tommygunr
04-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Thats to Tumey hills though which I thought was also locked.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=36.578752,+-120.694851&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=%2B36%C2%B0+34'+43.51%22,+-120%C2%B0+41'+41.46%22&gl=us&ei=bnnIS7DjFZP8tQOsq4GYCw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ8gEwAA

Actually PH on one side of the road and Tumey on the other . there is no road on the PH side just a hiking entrance but it beats hiking all the way past the privet property to get to the front side . Just got to remember to get the required distance from the road before you start shooting witch I can't remember. I'll have to research it again

doughboy334
04-17-2010, 3:24 AM
great photos turby i wish i went now... you guys shot at a different place from where were were on october... more greener

nagorb
04-17-2010, 3:28 AM
great photos turby i wish i went now... you guys shot at a different place from where were were on october... more greener

All of that area gets greener during winter.

BroncoBob
04-18-2010, 9:45 PM
Actually PH on one side of the road and Tumey on the other . there is no road on the PH side just a hiking entrance but it beats hiking all the way past the privet property to get to the front side . Just got to remember to get the required distance from the road before you start shooting witch I can't remember. I'll have to research it again

Hey Tom, 200 feet seems to stick in my mind from a road.

Turbinator
04-18-2010, 11:19 PM

Thanks, I just didn't take that many pictures this time out. My friends have more, I'm trying to get copies from them.

Turby

battleship
04-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Im glad i checked back with this post as i had planned on checking this place out today. Lately the local range and shooting paper targets every other second is becoming a bit boring. The place looks great , but just what are you shooting at, what do you take with you to destroy.
Now i have to October for it to re-open.
We all welcome more pics if thats possible.

ricochet
04-20-2010, 5:33 AM
Loud archery ...

Im glad i checked back with this post as i had planned on checking this place out today. Lately the local range and shooting paper targets every other second is becoming a bit boring. The place looks great , but just what are you shooting at, what do you take with you to destroy.

Turbinator
04-20-2010, 9:28 AM
but just what are you shooting at, what do you take with you to destroy.

What do we shoot at? Last time out, I'd say the best targets ended up being some balloons - it was windy enough such that they were moving around and created a challenge for us. They are instantly reactive, so you know whether you've hit one or not. They are easy to transport and easy to reset. Worked great!

Turby

mif_slim
04-20-2010, 3:56 PM
dang, I missed it! Sorry guys!

diginit
04-20-2010, 9:35 PM
Hey Tom, 200 feet seems to stick in my mind from a road.

150 ft from any road, and not towards it....:rolleyes:

Acorn556
04-22-2010, 4:09 AM
Similar thing happened to us at tumey hills, except they were downrange from us. I guess they don't care about loud noise.

They're pretty ballsy animals. Your GF didn't seem to mind them interfering with our shooting and your pups seemed to enjoy their company....until they chased them off.

I think this is a big reason they are closing down the area. Maybe farmers use it for their sheep and move them around? Anyone know a farmer around the area that we could check this with? That and the risk of fire.

COW MOUNTAIN!!!!!! Maybe we'll see some slow deer.

Z ME FLY
04-22-2010, 7:20 AM
SO folks... is Panoche closed? I was planning on heading over there maybe in a week or two.

ricochet
04-22-2010, 9:16 PM
Fire season after 4-15. As I understand it, closed to vehicle traffic but still avaiilable for shootin', campin', hikin'. Main gate at Panoche access road looks to be closed so unless you can find the back way in, it'll be quite a hike (vs a short but healthy hike from the back gate).

Is that about right ?

SO folks... is Panoche closed? I was planning on heading over there maybe in a week or two.

Turbinator
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Fire season after 4-15. As I understand it, closed to vehicle traffic but still avaiilable for shootin', campin', hikin'. Main gate at Panoche access road looks to be closed so unless you can find the back way in, it'll be quite a hike (vs a short but healthy hike from the back gate).

Is that about right ?

Sounds about right. I wouldn't want to hike the 3 miles on that dirt road to get to the first turnout area, that's for sure. Well, not hike it with all my gear + targets + trash bags. That would be a killer hike, and not in an awesome way either.

Turby

ricochet
04-22-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm assuming it covers all internal combustion engine powered vehicles (I guess plugin Prius's are OK :-) If not, wonder if it'd be OK to lug gear in on a couple of quads ?

goober
04-22-2010, 11:16 PM
Folks, you can get the scoop on the rules, regs, season, etc. for Panoche & Tumey Hills Management Area here (http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/hollister/panoche_tumeys.html).

Some important info from that site:
Know before you go:

Because of the presence of rare animals and fossils, and because of the special designations in effect for these areas, the BLM implements the following restrictions:

1. To ensure that the underground burrows of animal species are not crushed, and to protect WSA values, the BLM requires that vehicles remain on existing routes. This means that no cross-country vehicle travel is allowed.
2. Vehicles must park within 15 feet of any existing roadway.
3. There is no litter or garbage collection. Pack out what you pack in, including any target-shooting related material. Plastics, glass and metal scraps not only take a long time to degrade, but some animals try to ingest some of these materials, and may get cut or entangled. Foodstuffs should also be removed, as most human food is not good for wild animals.
4. For safety reasons, there is no shooting allowed upon roadways, and because private land adjoins public land along the Panoche Access Road, no shooting is allowed for the first three miles of the road.
5. No motorcycles or ATV's are allowed in the Panoche and Tumey Hills.
6. The Panoche and Tumey Hills are closed to vehicle use with the onset of fire season, roughly April 15-October 15.
7. Hunters must comply with all State fish and wildlife regulations, and there is no camping allowed within 200 yards of any developed wildlife water source. There is no target shooting inside the State of California Ecological Preserve, which is located inside the Panoche Hills.

Sh00tFurst
04-23-2010, 6:27 AM
Don't forget... leave the grill at home during the fire season.

BroncoBob
04-23-2010, 7:06 AM
Don't forget... leave the grill at home during the fire season.

Won't be a problem since they locked the first gate. I really don't think anyone is going to hike up the hill for 3 miles with all their gear just to shoot.

Sh00tFurst
04-23-2010, 7:32 AM
I should've mentioned that I was refering to Tumey. Much closer from gate to shooting spot...no 3 mile hike there.

Whether people are willing to hike it or not, it should be noted that open flames such as camp fires or BBQ's are prohibited during fire season...hence, don't even bother bringing the grill.

nagorb
04-23-2010, 7:58 AM
Won't be a problem since they locked the first gate. I really don't think anyone is going to hike up the hill for 3 miles with all their gear just to shoot.

I wouldn't count Scott out of that one, you should have seen him climb up that hill at tumey, hes like a freakin rabbit.

Z ME FLY
04-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Well, that's weird because I remember going to the top of the hill in Panoch and shooting in July. From my understanding on this thread, the 1st gate is closed so that's a no go. Tumey which I have never went before sounds like it is closed also yeah?

Any other options for BLM land near the Bay?

BroncoBob
04-25-2010, 12:09 PM
I wouldn't count Scott out of that one, you should have seen him climb up that hill at tumey, hes like a freakin rabbit.

:smilielol5::smilielol5:

Acorn556
04-25-2010, 2:32 PM

It was a pretty big let down when I got to the top too....but yeah I'd probably hike it in three miles with gear and some cover if I had a sling.

nagorb
04-25-2010, 2:37 PM
It was a pretty big let down when I got to the top too....but yeah I'd probably hike it in three miles with gear and some cover if I had a sling.

I bet you can't do it:43:

Acorn556
04-25-2010, 3:39 PM
I bet you can't do it:43:

I see what you did there.

I don't have cover or motivation to figure out how to rig stuff up to carry it in there....plus I don't want to drive there right now and prove you wrong.....again.

nagorb
04-25-2010, 5:35 PM
I see what you did there.

I don't have cover or motivation to figure out how to rig stuff up to carry it in there....plus I don't want to drive there right now and prove you wrong.....again.

Sure:rolleyes: you just don't want to admit that you cant do it;)

diginit
04-25-2010, 9:46 PM
Accorn, Why don't you go in the back way. Or by the lake. Then say you hiked in...:)

You only have to be 150' from the road. On Public land. If you are trespassing, You must leave when asked. BY A LEO IN THE PRESENCE OF THE LAND OWNER. Or vice versa. Only refusal to leave will result in a trespassing charge. But don't expect a LEO to tell you this... Check the PC.

Acorn556
04-26-2010, 1:31 AM
1. I don't know that way.
2. I'd be there around 9pm at night so I doubt anyone would be there to bother me.
3. I know Mike couldn't make it in so I'd have no way to prove I made it in.
4. Sharks Playoffs. Not going anywhere for a while except to The Shark Tank to see a game in Round 2 and 3.

11Z50
04-26-2010, 3:38 AM
Here's a thought..........

When I was an infantryman, a platoon of grunts could haul a great deal of weapons and ammo for far over three miles.

As an act of civil protest of the locking of the lower gate, we organize a "march" to access Panoche. We all agree on two or three common calibers to consolidate the load, lightweight paper targets, pack a lunch, and hump up to shoot at Panoche just to exercise our rights. We have our mountain bike guys be our cav scouts. We all OC getting up there. For the hardcore, bivouac overnight. Maybe even give a few prizes out for the first up, first back. We even do some clean-up while we are there and hump it out.

We invite BLM. If nothing else they would know that Calgunners are some stubborn basterds.

Z ME FLY
04-26-2010, 5:37 PM
Here's a thought..........

When I was an infantryman, a platoon of grunts could haul a great deal of weapons and ammo for far over three miles.

As an act of civil protest of the locking of the lower gate, we organize a "march" to access Panoche. We all agree on two or three common calibers to consolidate the load, lightweight paper targets, pack a lunch, and hump up to shoot at Panoche just to exercise our rights. We have our mountain bike guys be our cav scouts. We all OC getting up there. For the hardcore, bivouac overnight. Maybe even give a few prizes out for the first up, first back. We even do some clean-up while we are there and hump it out.

We invite BLM. If nothing else they would know that Calgunners are some stubborn basterds.

the only problem is.... i would want to leave my car by the entrance of panoch. i heard stories from other calgunners about break ins?

ricochet
04-26-2010, 6:58 PM
the only problem is.... i would want to leave my car by the entrance of panoch. i heard stories from other calgunners about break ins?

So we 'chute in ...

nagorb
04-26-2010, 6:58 PM

Leaving your car out there is asking for trouble.

diginit
04-26-2010, 8:22 PM
Do not leave your car alone overnight on the main road. It will be peppered by morning. I've seen it personally. At least 100 rounds from bumper to bumper. Poor guy just broke down and didn't get back in time. I passed it on the way, a white car. Camped overnight and passed what was left on the way back. A white car with pok a dots.
Bet his insurance company had a fit. Does insurance even cover bullet holes? I guess I should ask my agent.
Imagine his expression...:eek:

diginit
04-26-2010, 8:36 PM
Why don't we hire some Home Depo stand arounds to pack it in for us. Then we'll also have some moving targets and it won't cost us a cent....
JUST KIDDING! OMG... My Bad...

nagorb
04-26-2010, 9:03 PM
Why don't we hire some Home Depo stand arounds to pack it in for us. Then we'll also have some moving targets and it won't cost us a cent....

Turbinator
04-27-2010, 12:32 AM

Skatin' a fine line... you know it's dangerous to have them hold the targets up, right? :)

Turby

nagorb
04-27-2010, 12:37 AM
Skatin' a fine line... you know it's dangerous to have them hold the targets up, right? :)

Turby

that's what scott is for:43:

Acorn556
04-27-2010, 8:32 AM

Cheapter to just build a stand. And safer than firing at a human being down range. Figured of all people here.......ahhhh eff it.

diginit
04-27-2010, 8:20 PM
Darn... And I was going to make Tshirts with a department store logo....

Z ME FLY
04-27-2010, 9:36 PM
Do not leave your car alone overnight on the main road. It will be peppered by morning. I've seen it personally. At least 100 rounds from bumper to bumper. Poor guy just broke down and didn't get back in time. I passed it on the way, a white car. Camped overnight and passed what was left on the way back. A white car with pok a dots.
Bet his insurance company had a fit. Does insurance even cover bullet holes? I guess I should ask my agent.
Imagine his expression...:eek:

yup those are the stories I hear about! That's why I wouldn't want to leave my car there while I go for a hike shooting.

evollep3
05-29-2010, 1:20 AM
anyone know if tumney is open?

nagorb
05-29-2010, 6:56 PM
anyone know if tumney is open?

Closed for fire season, but you can still walk in.