PDA

View Full Version : delete

compulsivegunbuyer
03-15-2010, 4:46 PM
delete

CSACANNONEER
03-15-2010, 5:14 PM
First, yes, you can modify mags AS LONG AS they will still work in the gun they were originally designed for.

Second, you can build your RAW into any caliber you want to! It doesn't make a difference what caliber or barrel length it was registered as! You can even put a 50BMG upper on it!

IrishPirate
03-15-2010, 5:19 PM
First, yes, you can modify mags AS LONG AS they will still work in the gun they were originally designed for.

Second, you can build your RAW into any caliber you want to! It doesn't make a difference what caliber or barrel length it was registered as! You can (AND SHOULD) even put a 50BMG upper on it!

what he said....(+ the bold!! ;) )

timdps
03-15-2010, 6:35 PM

Even if one does not own the original gun and it is extremely unlikely that I or anyone in CA will own the original gun?

Where is the PC for this?

Thanks,

Tim

Sniper3142
03-15-2010, 7:25 PM

I'll have to check but I thought it said something like "as long as the magazine continues to work in the firearm it was originally intended for."

So if you purchased several M1A magazines with the specific intent to cover them to work in an AR10, you were good.

hoffmang
03-15-2010, 10:57 PM
There is no PC on this but the legal argument goes something like this. If the magazines still operate in the firearm they were originally intended for, then a DA can't prove you manufactured new magazines by simply modifying them.

-Gene

JDay
03-16-2010, 9:09 AM
There is no PC on this but the legal argument goes something like this. If the magazines still operate in the firearm they were originally intended for, then a DA can't prove you manufactured new magazines by simply modifying them.

-Gene

How can the prove you modified them after the ban? Especially if you're using them in a RAW?

timdps
03-16-2010, 9:50 AM

-Gene

Huh? I'm obviously missing something here...

How does this apply if I modify a magazine dated 1938 to fit in a 1944 dated rifle?

Modification = manufacturing new magazines?

Tim

bwiese
03-16-2010, 9:54 AM
You simply are not manufacturing a new hicap magazine by modifying an existing hicap magazine and have it still retain its original fitment status. It was a hicap magazine for X before and is still a hicap mag for X afterward.

You are also not breaking any laws if you misuse a 10rd magazine in one caliber to be, say, a 13 round magazine in another caliber [i.e, using 10rd 40S&W/357Sig magazines for hicap 9mm magazines, or 10rd 458SOCOM magazines for hicap 223/5.56 magazines.] Just about every magazine in one caliber can be misused in another, but do not always bet your life on such magazine usages due to feed issues, etc.

bwiese
03-16-2010, 9:56 AM
Huh? I'm obviously missing something here...
Yep.

Irrelevant.

[quote=timdps]Modification = manufacturing new magazines?

If the hicap mag can still fit/operate in its original host rifle, no worries. No manufacturing took place.

timdps
03-16-2010, 10:09 AM
If the hicap mag can still fit/operate in its original host rifle, no worries. No manufacturing took place.

So conversely, if the modified high cap will no longer fit its original host machine gun, manufacturing took place?

You can own a pre-ban high capacity magazine and modifying it to fit another rifle is manufacturing a high capacity magazine, even though you end up with the same number of high capacity magazines you started with?

Tim

bwiese
03-16-2010, 10:40 AM
So conversely, if the modified high cap will no longer fit its original host machine gun, manufacturing took place?

Maybe, maybe not - so it's best to stay away from that. We're dealing with situations that nobody who wrote these laws ever thought of, because they weren't really gun people.

You can own a pre-ban high capacity magazine and modifying it to fit another rifle is manufacturing a high capacity magazine,

... unless that mag still fits in the original gun.

[quote]even though you end up with the same number of high capacity magazines you started with?/QUOTE]

Well, again, the worry is that the mag you legitimately had before 2000 that no longer works in the gun for which it was designed because of mods is a new hicap magazine.

Stick with the recipes here and you'll be OK

VaderSpade
03-25-2010, 9:19 AM
Can I build an AR lower that will accept some old Mini-14 Mags I've had forever???

CHS
03-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Can I build an AR lower that will accept some old Mini-14 Mags I've had forever???

Yes.