PDA

View Full Version : DROS with Firefox

RHT447
03-15-2010, 12:15 PM
Need some advice on how to run DROS using Firefox. It's not a big deal, would just be handy. Have been running DROS with Explorer just fine for years. There's probably something in the Firefox settings I'm not smart enough to figure out. I can get to the main screen OK, but it won't load the login applet.
PC is original state-issued Compaq Evo D300v running Win 2000 Pro.

Thanks
RHR447

thedrickel
03-15-2010, 12:24 PM
AFAIK it will only work with Internet Explorer.

NSR500
03-15-2010, 3:52 PM
Try the "User Agent Switcher" addon in FF. Switch it to Internet Explorer and the try it on the DROS page. It may or may not work, but it's worth the try.

JDay
03-16-2010, 7:40 AM
I believe they made the page with ActiveX, that is why you need IE.

https://dros.appsolgrp.com/wpsd/sysreq.html

In order to use the DROS Entry System Internet application, your dealership must have the following items.

* A Pentium, Celeron or equivalent computer or laptop
* Modem 28.8 (or higher), Cable modem or DSL modem
* Windows-compatible printer
* Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000 or Windows XP Operating System
* Internet Explorer 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0 or 7.0
* An Internet Service Provider (ISP)
* Mag stripe reader

NOTE: The DOJ-supplied personal computer and printer fulfill the hardware and software requirements. However, an internet service provider (ISP) is still required.

Scratch705
03-16-2010, 12:02 PM
FF does activex, it just doesn't let in all activex like IE does.

i suggest adding the DROS site to the "safe" list in the FF security tab, under the exceptions

ldivinag
03-17-2010, 1:55 AM
there are a couple IE switching add-ons for FF. one, IIrc actually goes and uses the IE engine to render the page within FF.

JDay
03-18-2010, 6:20 PM
FF does activex, it just doesn't let in all activex like IE does.

No it doesn't. There is a third party plugin though.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/ActiveX

ActiveX is a Microsoft technology that is used to add functionality to Windows programs.

ActiveX "controls" are often used to enable Microsoft's Internet Explorer browser to view and use multimedia content embedded in web pages (for example, Flash applications). They are also used to add new functions to the browser (for example, toolbars).

Firefox does not support ActiveX technology for multiple reasons.

* ActiveX is only available on Windows operating systems, and as a result webpages that require it will not work on Linux or Mac.
* ActiveX integration with the Windows operating system has made it a target for malicious software.

Firefox uses plugins to view and use multimedia content embedded in web pages, and extensions to add new functions.

TWoods450
03-25-2010, 8:41 PM
have you tried IE Tab... PS that computer is a fossil.

RHT447
03-26-2010, 8:48 PM
have you tried IE Tab... PS that computer is a fossil.

IE Tab--can't. Win 2000 Pro won't run higher than IE 6.

fossil--Yeah, I know. I've been offerd serious money from a couple of museums. :o Only use it to run DROS and a few other simple tasks. Do everything else on new quad-core machine. Hopefully will be replacing fossil with new(er) tower with fresh XP install soon.

TWoods450
03-26-2010, 9:44 PM
sorry should have linked to it.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419

its a firefox add on.

Adehtla
03-30-2010, 4:09 PM
The best thing you can do is get a new computer running a more recent version of Windows. Both Windows 2000 and IE are no longer supported (IIRC), so it really is in your best interest to move on. I understand that if it works right now there's not much of a need to upgrade, but just because it works doesn't mean it's working well, you know?

Once you do get a new system, use the Firefox addon that TWoods450 linked to along with Useragent Switcher (otherwise, the DROS site might yell at you for not using IE). That's going to be your best bet for compatibility and security.

Chico is a little far from Fremont, but I could be convinced (as in beer) to drive up for a day and help you out if you need it.