PDA

View Full Version : Places to shoot outdoors near Truckee??

M14 Junkie
03-15-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi all. New to the forum and I have just retired and moved to my house in Truckee, Ca.

Anyone know where to go to shoot nearby? Outdoors is preferred.

Thanks,

Mike

M1A Rifleman
03-15-2010, 12:13 PM
There is a range near Sierraville and possibly one near Boca Reservoir. Other than these, any safe location within the NF. Those near you are Tahoe and Plumas - which is where I hang. Safe = good back stop far away from people and roadways.

317cmbtengr
03-15-2010, 8:21 PM
There is a range to the east of Boca Resevoir, it is controlled by the forest service. If you go to the Ranger Station off 89 in Truckee, register with them they will loan you a key to the gate, return when you're done. Nice range and there are two different sections.

haveyourmile
03-17-2010, 12:20 PM
There is a range to the east of Boca Resevoir, it is controlled by the forest service. If you go to the Ranger Station off 89 in Truckee, register with them they will loan you a key to the gate, return when you're done. Nice range and there are two different sections.

Is it usually busy or pretty quiet?

317cmbtengr
03-17-2010, 8:02 PM
The range is pretty quiet. It's a long way from population areas. The times I have been there early in the day it has been nice and there is not a lot of people because you have to get a key from the forest service.

Cire 5th
05-01-2010, 3:50 PM
tag

CSACANNONEER
05-01-2010, 3:53 PM
Boca is unsupervised and you need to be careful if trucks are going up and down the road. I like to fish Boca for a while, go shoot during midday and then fish again in the evenings. Just clean up after yourself!