PDA

View Full Version : CotW gun show v. Big 5

Attiic
03-14-2010, 7:55 PM
If this direct question has already been asked, I apologize, for my search-fu is weak.

I was wondering, if I was in the market for a mosin nagant, would i be better off going to my local Big 5, or at the upcoming Crossroads of the West gun show?

Vlad 11
03-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Most Mosins I've seen at the shows lately are stupidly overpriced. Also it depends on what kind of Mosin you're looking for...

AK4me
03-15-2010, 10:57 PM
^^what he said

footdoc
03-15-2010, 11:20 PM
I can't remember when I last bought a gun at the show. After I got my C&R FFL ($30), I have done all my purchase online. The only things I look for at the show are cheap ammo and parts.

7.62x54R
03-15-2010, 11:44 PM
Most Mosins I've seen at the shows lately are stupidly overpriced. Also it depends on what kind of Mosin you're looking for...

I can't remember when I last bought a gun at the show. After I got my C&R FFL ($30), I have done all my purchase online. The only things I look for at the show are cheap ammo and parts.

So true.

Palimino Stripe
03-16-2010, 1:21 AM
At the gun show last weekend I recall seeing two M91/30's (at seperate tables). 1942 & 1943 Izhevsk respectively. Literally just two in 5,000,000 that look exactly the same as the other millions...

$175 each. :rolleyes:

Give. Me. A. Break.

At Big 5 you have a chance of not only finding one cheaper (wait for a sale)- but also something rarer.

-Palimino

N_S
03-16-2010, 9:09 AM
Nice thing about a gun show is sometimes you can haggle them.
Then again at Big 5 you don't need to.

Attiic
03-16-2010, 1:41 PM
Thanks for the replies.
As many of those gun shows as I have been to, I have never actually looked for a Mosin. Looks like I will be looking for ammo at the show now.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-16-2010, 1:56 PM
Don't bother with getting them at the gun show. You will end up with fewer choices and higher prices there. Along with somebody blowing smoke up your @$$ about why his are worth so much more than the ones on sale at Big 5. If you can get your C&R, you have more choices of places to buy. But truthfully, I have found that it is usually the same price for me to order them online and pay shipping as it is to get them at Big 5 when they are running one of their $79 sale specials. And I get to actually look at the guns they have in stock, rather than wait and see what shows up. I NEVER buy guns at a gun show unless I find something that the seller has mis-marked, or doesn't know what it is. Finding good deals at California gun shows is like finding a jackalope. It almost never happens, and when you think it does, somebodyu is probably trying to pull one over on you.

-Mb

Farquaad
03-16-2010, 2:13 PM
I NEVER buy guns at a gun show unless I find something that the seller has mis-marked, or doesn't know what it is. Finding good deals at California gun shows is like finding a jackalope. It almost never happens, and when you think it does, somebody is probably trying to pull one over on you.

-Mb

Unfortunately so true.

SeanCasey
03-16-2010, 3:09 PM
I would just hit up Big5. Problem with most Mosin's I've seened at gun shows is that they are either over priced, or "bubba'ed" to hell.

Oh the pain of seeing an M44 with a modern scope, and bipod mounted on it, and a a non-original downturn bolt.

Attiic
03-16-2010, 6:42 PM
Well I will keep my fingers crossed, but plan to stop by Big 5 afterwards.
Hint hint, if you are in the LA area and lookin to offload a Mosin, shoot me a pm.

wilit
03-16-2010, 6:52 PM
Get a C&R and order from AIM Surplus. [/thread]

Attiic
03-16-2010, 8:43 PM
Get a C&R and order from AIM Surplus. [/thread]

[thread=Two more years before I can do that.

AngryPossum
03-16-2010, 9:33 PM
Why not just get a really nice one for the best price possible and buy one off a fellow calgunner? Plus you save yourself the cost of DROS and don't have to wait to get your rifle outta jail!!! They are on here all the time 91/30's, M44's, etc. More recently I have seen More finnish mosins popping up on here including a couple M39's. I'm broke for the next couple of months or else I'd try to score an M39...I've been wanting one forever!!!!

bigthaiboy
03-16-2010, 9:49 PM
At Big 5, depending on the member of staff serving you, you can usually ask for the sale price on the Mosins. They will look up the last sale price they had for that rifle on their computer system, and let you have it at that price. Usually $99 at the most. No harm in asking.

glennbtw
03-16-2010, 9:58 PM
I second the idea of dealing with a fellow calgunner. I was happy with my first Mosin from Big 5. I was even more pleased with the two I got here.

DTS
03-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Look for it here - CALGUN

SVT-40
03-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Well I will keep my fingers crossed, but plan to stop by Big 5 afterwards.
Hint hint, if you are in the LA area and lookin to offload a Mosin, shoot me a pm.

What model of Mosin Nagant are you looking for?

M-91
M91-30
M-38
M-44

Plus all the different Finnish versions.

If it's a shooter you are looking for I would recommend a Finnish M-39. Arguably the most accurate Mosin Nagant ever produced. It's also heavier than a other Mosin's so the recoil is reduced. These do cost more than a "standard" Mosin, but are well worth the price.

Attiic
03-17-2010, 12:44 AM
What model of Mosin Nagant are you looking for?

M-91
M91-30
M-38
M-44

Plus all the different Finnish versions.

If it's a shooter you are looking for I would recommend a Finnish M-39. Arguably the most accurate Mosin Nagant ever produced. It's also heavier than a other Mosin's so the recoil is reduced. These do cost more than a "standard" Mosin, but are well worth the price.

At this point it is looking like a 91/30, just on price alone.
I am indeed looking for a shooter, And while a Finn would be nice, I don't know that I could afford one at this time.

23 Blast
03-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Probably the only MNs I'd buy at a gunshow would be those that are rare and difficult to come by - genuine snipers, some of the rare Finnish variants, maybe the Holy Grail of MNs, the model 1907 carbine (hoping a seller thinks it's a M38 and pricing it at $250 :D)

If you're just looking for your basic 91/30, I honestly think Big 5 is pretty hard to beat. Now, they even come with goodies like slings, cleaning kits, and bayonets.

gun toting monkeyboy
03-17-2010, 1:54 PM
For your basic shooter, just hit Big 5 and look for a bolt that is numbered to the receiver, and a good bore. 91/30s are well-balanced, handy guns. They are long, but they handle and shoulder well.

Attiic
03-17-2010, 2:10 PM
In light of the sale, do you guys think I should stick with a MN, or go for one of those Yugo Mausers?

gun toting monkeyboy
03-17-2010, 2:43 PM
What is the sale price of the mauser? What kind of condition is it in? Unless it is in the $100 range, I wouldn't bother with it. Especially if it isn't in good shape. Ammo for the mosins is way cheaper and easier to find.

Attiic
03-17-2010, 2:48 PM
They are going for $189 right now, plus that 20% coupon. Don't know about condition.