PDA

View Full Version : C&R Preferences

hollowpoint67
03-14-2010, 5:17 PM
When you guys are purchasing do you prefer the rifle to look newish, refinished etc, or do you prefer the banged up look that has "character" making it look like a veteran of war?

Milsurp Collector
03-14-2010, 5:44 PM
When you guys are purchasing do you prefer the rifle to look newish, refinished etc, or do you prefer the banged up look that has "character" making it look like a veteran of war?

Neither. Excellent original condition is best, original but not banged up, but below that original with honest wear is better than refinished and brand new looking, for me.

When first starting out people are usually glad to get any example of what they want - banged up, refinished, whatever. After you have one of something and you start learning about them then you start getting pickier and more selective, and start appreciating the rarer variants. You also start relaxing and appreciating them for what they are and leaving them alone, rather than trying to make them into some kind of prime example.

For example, if someone doesn't have an M1 Carbine and they get one from the CMP, they often start "restoring" it. They remove the improved parts that were installed during the post World War II rebuilding programs and backdating it World War II configuration, as if the M1 Carbine's service was limited to World War II and World War II configuration is the only "correct" configuration. They even go so far as to remove USGI parts and put on reproduction flip sights, barrel bands, and pushbutton safeties, thinking they are making it more "correct", but they are actually going in the opposite direction. But it's the only one they have, so they try to make it "all that". Probably the saddest version of that would be taking the unusual Bavarian carbine variant, which is collectible in its own right, and refinishing it and "restoring" it into a run-of-the-mill average USGI carbine.

But if later they acquire some real original carbines, then it isn't necessary for that first carbine to be their World War II carbine. They can appreciate the rebuilt carbine for what it is, an upgraded weapon that was used in Korea and Vietnam. If that CMP carbine had been their fourth or fifth carbine instead of their first and only they probably would have been more likely to leave it as is.

The same thing can be said about Russian Capture K98k's. If it is someone's first and only K98k they are more likely to restore it to a more German appearance, and erase their Soviet history in the process. But if they already have some real original K98k's they are less likely to restore a Russian Capture.

River Jack
03-14-2010, 5:52 PM
I like original (not refinished) but as good as unissued as I can get, so in excellent condition. Don't like the beaters at all.

Edge
03-14-2010, 6:39 PM
I think you have to judge each weapon on it's own. The c&r's I've bought all show their age, but also show they were cared for.

OneApart
03-14-2010, 6:55 PM
If it is a bolt rifle, I like them to be clean with original parts if possible....

Mil-Surp on the other hand, I like them banged up. I have a Romy G that has hash marks on the butt-stock (I always wonder if that's CK's)... I love it.

bplvr
03-14-2010, 7:12 PM
I have an M1 Carbine that I got from a fellow whose Grandfather had died. He "was in some famous battle in WW2 where 'some city' got surrounded in the winter ".He came home from the war and put it in the closet. ALL original Winnie. I don't think that I will be refinishing this gun. It is currently in the safe in a silicone bag and if you want to handle it you better be wearing white gloves.
I guess my vote is for 'all scratched up'. Like scars on fine leather,proof of their authenticity and service.