View Full Version : Singer brand carbine, cash and carry?

03-14-2010, 3:15 PM
My cousin and I were having a little chat about ARs when he mentioned that his bro in law that passed away has a carbine and is interested in acquiring it, but does not know much about the gun laws. I told him that if it was one of those WW2 type carbines then he does'nt need anything nor needs to go through an FFL to get it, its cash and carry type of rifle. He says he remembered seeing the name "singer" in it. If this is indeed a singer carbine, am I correct with the info I gave him? His sister can just give him or sell him the rifle and take it home? no need for them to go through an FFL and dros it and wait 10 days?

03-14-2010, 3:30 PM
If it's a M1 Carbine, C&C is fine since, it is over 50 years old. If it's an M2 Carbine.....................well, the first thing you'ld want to do is contact an attorney and find out if it is in the NFA registry.

03-14-2010, 4:44 PM
I'm pretty sure Singer never made M1 carbines.

03-14-2010, 5:10 PM
Singer subcontracted for Underwood. But Singer's name would not appear on the receiver. It would be marked Underwood. A letter B would indicate it was made by Singer.

03-14-2010, 7:25 PM
I think it's an M1. He would have mentioned if its an M2 since he once had the paratrooper type carbine (auto) when he was in the Philippines. And our discussion was about the CA AW types of rifles

03-14-2010, 7:41 PM
If it is a U.S. military M1 carbine it is cash and carry. There are several companies that made commercial versions, some with U.S. GI parts, that are not.
Singer did not make carbines. The cash and carry / U.S. GI carbines are Inland, IBM, Irwin Peterson(rare), National Postal Meter, Commercial/Controls(very rare), Quality H.M.C., UN-Quality(very rare), Rock-Ola, Saginaw S G, Saginaw S'G', Standard Products, Underwood, and Winchester.
Also if it has any magazines that have a 10+ round capacity, they can't be transferred to another person in CA. The exception is if your cousin already owns some 10+ round M1 carbine magazines, the magazines can be parted out and the parts used to repair his existing magazines.

Rooftop Voter
03-14-2010, 7:47 PM
It might be an Underwood "B" code carbine. Singer made the receivers and it should have a "B" stamped on the rear edge of the receiver if this is the case...