PDA

View Full Version : PPT Transfer Question

Intimid8tor
03-14-2010, 1:10 PM
When doing a PPT transfer does the buyer end up getting the seller's address on the form or is that kept at the dealer?

Quiet
03-14-2010, 1:24 PM
Buyer does not get that info.
That info is kept by the FFL dealer.

XYZ
03-14-2010, 1:31 PM
I recently did a PPT and the dealer kept one copy and gave me the other that included the sellers address. It may have been that FFL so YMMV as I've only done a couple of PPT.

ke6guj
03-14-2010, 2:54 PM
the info is on the PPT DROS sheet. IIRC, the PC states that the FFL must redact the seller's info before giving a copy to the buyer, and vice-versa for the seller's copy. But the last PPT I did, the FFL did not do that so I did get an unredacted copy of the PPT DROS with the other party's info on it.

yup, here's the code.
12076(b)(5) If the transaction is a private party transfer conducted pursuant to Section 12082, a photocopy of the original shall be provided to the seller or purchaser by the dealer, upon request. The dealer shall redact all of the purchaser's personal information, as required pursuant to paragraph (1) of subdivision (b) and paragraph (1) of subdivision (c) of Section 12077, from the seller's copy, and the seller's personal information from the purchaser's copy.

q3131a
03-14-2010, 9:25 PM
What exactly constitutes personal information? CDL#? Home address? I thought that once the firearm is DROSed the "old" owner is relieved of all responsibility with regards to the firearm. Any inquiries about the firearm will be automatically referred to the "new" owner. I'm concerned about the purchaser's privacy. I've done quite a few PPTs (all as a purchaser), and I'm worried about my CDL#, address etc. floating around especially if the seller discards/misplaces the DROS form.

This is a great topic, something that I've wanted to ask about for a while.

halifax
03-15-2010, 5:59 AM
I usually start by redacting the DL# and birthdate then ask both buyer and seller if they want anything else redacted.

Steve G
03-15-2010, 8:26 AM
The last PPT I did the FFL did give me a copy of the DROS with all the sellers info on it. Oh yeah he was a Sheriff too :eek:

Intimid8tor
03-15-2010, 8:31 AM
I was more worried as a seller with someone buying something then having my information. The quote on the law above is very useful and in my mind, something that we should all know if we are doing PPT. Information security is a huge issue.