PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a NAS.

audiophil2
03-14-2010, 7:48 AM
Due to the limited space on my HDDs I want a NAS that can do the folllowing:
Be the single backup for all my 3 computers( each has 40-80gb HDDS)
Setup in raid 5 preferably.
Ability to do automatic backups of all pc's.
Ability to archive all pc's onto dvd/blueray
Serve as file/video/pic/media/print/server.

Am I asking to much? I just was very safe archival. Price wuold be $600-800 and I would like to build in steps.

rockdogz
03-14-2010, 8:00 AM
Check out Qnap. I have been very happy with mine. I found an open box deal at Newegg.

audiophil2
03-14-2010, 8:07 AM
Check out Qnap. I have been very happy with mine. I found an open box deal at Newegg.

This one looks promising...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107033&cm_re=qnap-_-22-107-033-_-Product

audiophil2
03-14-2010, 8:11 AM
Can this be just asgood as the qnap?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822108039

sholling
03-14-2010, 12:25 PM
If you are only backing up dinky drives I'd look at a DLINK DNS-321 with a pair of 1.5TB hard drives in RAID1. If you catch a couple of sales you can do the whole thing for about $300-325.

If you want to move up a step you can find the discontinued Intel/Fujitsu/Siemens SS4200-E for about about $135 shipped. These run an idiot simple (almost too idiot simple) version of EMC software. They are rated for 4 (not 3 - it must be 4 drives with this server) drives in RAID5 with one volume only and a maximum volume of size 4TB. These aren't for the faint of heart because there is zero documentation or support but I'm running one with a 4TB RAID5 volume as a media server. Total investment $550. To avoid conflicts between RAID systems in general and WD Green drives I set the system sleep to 30 minutes. That way they are on the same schedule and the system doesn't get confused by looking for a sleeping drive.

If you want better than these then I'd build a Windows Home Server using a dual core Atom processor and an 8 port RAID5 card, and put the OS on a small SSD.

As for software I hate all backup programs. Most store the backups in propitiatory formats and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't and it's hard to tell (and I'm a professional) if they worked right. I run GoodSync on all of my PCs. Goodsync is scheduled copy the latest files and modified files to my DNS-321 once a week. Just be careful how you set it up because it can be set to delete differences instead of copy changes and differences. Price: $29 for 1 PC and $10 for each additional PC.

leelaw
03-14-2010, 1:20 PM
Other alternatives includeDrobo, but they tend to run on the pricey side for my tastes.

I've had good luck with a WD Sharespace

rct442
03-14-2010, 1:32 PM
Other alternatives include Drobo, but they tend to run on the pricey side for my tastes.

This is super user friendly, nearly no user input required. I don't have to worry about about configuring the RAID or monitoring the health of the drives.

Best reason is that you can mix & match different size drives. Mine has 3x 750GB & 1x 500GB drives for a total of 1.8TB. I think the max is 16TB or 4x 4TB drives.

I think the unit is around $325, put keep in mind no drives are included.

http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo.php

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31i%2BuwTARkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

visualnewbie
03-14-2010, 5:21 PM
I don't think there are 4TB hard drives out yet... But anyways, I went with a WHS set-up. I wanted all computers in the house to be connected and backed up via the WHS. Makes life easier. I choose the Acer Aspire Easystore with the 4 bays. Crazy part is, I out grew it...

rct442
03-14-2010, 5:25 PM
I don't think there are 4TB hard drives out yet... But anyways, I went with a WHS set-up. I wanted all computers in the house to be connected and backed up via the WHS. Makes life easier. I choose the Acer Aspire Easystore with the 4 bays. Crazy part is, I out grew it...

How's WHS?

I have been meaning to try it out, but the OS is $100 & I don't have a spare PC.

visualnewbie
03-14-2010, 5:49 PM
How's WHS?

I have been meaning to try it out, but the OS is $100 & I don't have a spare PC.

I'm satisfied with it and so are a few of my friends that run it. I went this route based on their impressions. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it. It's pretty stable as far as I can see. No troubles at all. And that's the reason I bought the Acer, it came with WHS and a 1TB hard drive. Otherwise, I would of bought something similar to NAS. I got mine from Fry's for $350 and that's a bit more than some NAS products, but worth it considering it comes with WHS software installed. Right now, I have 11TB running and more needed soon on the Acer. Keep in mind, I had to find another enclosure to expand the home server since I out grew the Acer. So far, so good...

rct442
03-14-2010, 6:18 PM
I'm satisfied with it and so are a few of my friends that run it. I went this route based on their impressions. I really can't think of anything bad to say about it. It's pretty stable as far as I can see. No troubles at all. And that's the reason I bought the Acer, it came with WHS and a 1TB hard drive. Otherwise, I would of bought something similar to NAS. I got mine from Fry's for $350 and that's a bit more than some NAS products, but worth it considering it comes with WHS software installed. Right now, I have 11TB running and more needed soon on the Acer. Keep in mind, I had to find another enclosure to expand the home server since I out grew the Acer. So far, so good...

11TB!

How many drives & what kind of RAID setup you running?

visualnewbie
03-14-2010, 7:01 PM
11TB!

How many drives & what kind of RAID setup you running?

My understanding is that it doesn't offer support for RAID. Which is unfortunate. But it uses WHS's folder duplication feature as backup, basically a RAID-like drive pool system. At least that's how I understand it. I could be wrong...

Five 2TB hard drives and 1TB hard drive that came with the unit and that's where the WHS software in installed...

http://www.lapadagallery.com/img/v4/p736006035-3.jpg

rct442
03-14-2010, 7:05 PM
My understanding is that it doesn't offer support for RAID. Which is unfortunate. But it uses WHS's folder duplication feature as backup, basically a RAID-like drive pool system. At least that's how I understand it. I could be wrong...

Five 2TB hard drives and 1TB hard drive that came with the unit and that's where the WHS software in installed...

http://www.lapadagallery.com/img/v4/p736006035-3.jpg

What kind of enclosure you running there? How do you control heat build up?

visualnewbie
03-14-2010, 7:27 PM
What kind of enclosure you running there? How do you control heat build up?

That's a Sans Digital TowerRAID TR8M-B with 8 bays to two eSATA port multiplier interfaces. I know you can set this up for RAID if you need to since it supports it. Currently, I'm using just the two bottom bays. I also got this from frys, since they were cheaper than online places. As far as heat, it has a pretty large fan in the back that keeps it pretty cool. Plus it has perforated holes on the whole front and sides. The only downside, it's pretty loud. Louder than my PC and can only imagine how loud it'll get with it full of hard drives. It also doesn't help that I'm using Hitachi hard drives as I think they're one of the noisest on the market...

Here are some additional photos I took of the unit that did for my blog...

http://www.communicatingideas.com/2010/02/sans-digital-towerraid-tr8m-b-for-acer.html

And some of the Acer unit...

http://www.communicatingideas.com/2010/01/acer-aspire-easystore-h340-home-server.html

TonyM
03-14-2010, 7:33 PM
That's a Sans Digital TowerRAID TR8M-B with 8 bays to two eSATA port multiplier interfaces. I know you can set this up for RAID if you need to since it supports it. Currently, I'm using just the two bottom bays. I also got this from frys, since they were cheaper than online places. As far as heat, it has a pretty large fan in the back that keeps it pretty cool. Plus it has perforated holes on the whole front and sides. The only downside, it's pretty loud. Louder than my PC and can only imagine how loud it'll get with it full of hard drives. It also doesn't help that I'm using Hitachi hard drives as I think they're one of the noisest on the market...

Here are some additional photos I took of the unit that did for my blog...

http://www.communicatingideas.com/2010/02/sans-digital-towerraid-tr8m-b-for-acer.html

And some of the Acer unit...

http://www.communicatingideas.com/2010/01/acer-aspire-easystore-h340-home-server.html

I just bought the Sans enclosure for 8 2TB drives. I'll be adding it to my existing linux box which already has a RAID5 array of 6 1.5TB drives.

I've migrated my windows machines including my HTPCs over to Win7 and the backup program in Win7 is actually pretty good. I just have it do an incremental data backup every 2 days on each machine to the linux box, and a complete image of each machine on Sunday nights.

Works well, and cheap with almost endless uses since it's just an older Core2duo PC with ubuntu on it, not an ATOM, or other lower horsepower CPU.

I hear you on the noise and the heat. One thing that really helped was setting up the power management. In Linux I setup hdparm to spin down the drives after 20 minutes of inactivity. You may want to setup PM with yours as well... I'm sitting in my office right now and it's 81F in here!

visualnewbie
03-14-2010, 10:32 PM
I just bought the Sans enclosure for 8 2TB drives. I'll be adding it to my existing linux box which already has a RAID5 array of 6 1.5TB drives.

I've migrated my windows machines including my HTPCs over to Win7 and the backup program in Win7 is actually pretty good. I just have it do an incremental data backup every 2 days on each machine to the linux box, and a complete image of each machine on Sunday nights.

Works well, and cheap with almost endless uses since it's just an older Core2duo PC with ubuntu on it, not an ATOM, or other lower horsepower CPU.

I hear you on the noise and the heat. One thing that really helped was setting up the power management. In Linux I setup hdparm to spin down the drives after 20 minutes of inactivity. You may want to setup PM with yours as well... I'm sitting in my office right now and it's 81F in here!

Nice... Damn, I know that I'm not the only one, but I thought I had it bad. You have it just as bad and worst. Sad thing is, I have this feeling that the remaining 6 empty bays are going fill up really quick.

I'm going to have to look into the power management. I think WHS does it too. Right now, the Acer unit puts out more heat more so than the Sans. But that'll change when more hard drives are install in time. I'm actually going to dread the summer...

Ricky-Ray
03-14-2010, 11:21 PM
http://freenas.org/freenas

NSR500
03-15-2010, 12:22 AM
Freenas is very good if you've got a spare machine around.

audiophil2
03-15-2010, 8:05 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

What I am really looking for is a file server that can store all my non-essential stuff like photo's and movies. I want the NAS to be attached via gigabit ethernet (unless there is something faster) so that I can access the files from 1-my giganet desktop, 2-my giganet laptop/wireless-g laptop, and 3-my wireless-g/100m laptop. I want my harddrives setup up at raid 5 for disk security. I am also willing to use a dvd burner or bluray burner for archival. Ultimately, if my Raid fails I want all my movies, pics, songs saved on an optical disk for re-install. I also want to be able to rebuild each laptop/desktop in case the internal drives fail.

So far I like the Drobo and the 4 bay Sans Digital unit but as a newbie I do not see these as network NAS components. DO they just attach to a desktop?
I turn my desktop off at night so I need a standalone unit that will not eat power.

My current desktop is a basic Lenovo core 2 duo. It has almost no room for expansion. I do not need a brand new computer as all I use it for is charting and basic surfing. The only thing it really lacks to me are decent dualk head video cards for 4 DVI 20" monitors. I have the monitors but 2 are running off Siig external 128mb USB adaptors. If I need to I will gut the Lenovo and use those parts to build a midtower for the video cards I need.
I am not looking for large data storage (now) but rather a rock solid business machine with redundant backup and archival security.

I do not have many movies/pics so bluray data backup may be extreme.

rct442
03-15-2010, 2:32 PM

What I am really looking for is a file server that can store all my non-essential stuff like photo's and movies. I want the NAS to be attached via gigabit ethernet (unless there is something faster) so that I can access the files from 1-my giganet desktop, 2-my giganet laptop/wireless-g laptop, and 3-my wireless-g/100m laptop. I want my harddrives setup up at raid 5 for disk security. I am also willing to use a dvd burner or bluray burner for archival. Ultimately, if my Raid fails I want all my movies, pics, songs saved on an optical disk for re-install. I also want to be able to rebuild each laptop/desktop in case the internal drives fail.

So far I like the Drobo and the 4 bay Sans Digital unit but as a newbie I do not see these as network NAS components. DO they just attach to a desktop?
I turn my desktop off at night so I need a standalone unit that will not eat power.

My current desktop is a basic Lenovo core 2 duo. It has almost no room for expansion. I do not need a brand new computer as all I use it for is charting and basic surfing. The only thing it really lacks to me are decent dualk head video cards for 4 DVI 20" monitors. I have the monitors but 2 are running off Siig external 128mb USB adaptors. If I need to I will gut the Lenovo and use those parts to build a midtower for the video cards I need.
I am not looking for large data storage (now) but rather a rock solid business machine with redundant backup and archival security.

http://www.drobo.com/products/droboshare.php

You have to buy a Droboshare for $175, which is really stupid, but once you do you can turn your Drobo into a NAS. That way you can get the comfort of a self-monitoring hard drive, but also take advantage of Gigabit Ethernet speeds. Also the best benefit of the Droboshare is that you can install Apps, such as a iTunes, File & Media Server.

Merc1138
03-15-2010, 2:39 PM
Netgear readynas, I have a couple of them, lots of features(more than you'll ever need for basic home use) decent warranty also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122047

visualnewbie
03-15-2010, 4:09 PM

The Sans Digital unit is basically an external hard drive, no more, no less. Think expansion. The Drobo does quite a bit more than the Sans and fits your needs better. I use the Sans unit to expand my Acer unit since I out grew it. My Acer unit and the HP ones do exactly what you want except the RAID since WHS uses their own type of feature. If you plan to access them via the 'net, you might want to look into the machines similar to the Acer and HP. Just a thought...

ocabj
03-15-2010, 4:18 PM
We're using a few Sun 7210 units:

http://www.infoworld.com/infoworld/img/07TC-sun-storage-7210.gif

46TB in a 4U box. ZFS.

odysseus
03-15-2010, 4:28 PM
The drobo looks silly for the price for a small soho 4-bay not coming with gig ether. You have to buy an additional "share" device to attach this for ethernet? No thanks.

Corbin Dallas
03-17-2010, 9:35 PM
Due to the limited space on my HDDs I want a NAS that can do the folllowing:
Be the single backup for all my 3 computers( each has 40-80gb HDDS)
Setup in raid 5 preferably.
Ability to do automatic backups of all pc's.
Ability to archive all pc's onto dvd/blueray
Serve as file/video/pic/media/print/server.

Am I asking to much? I just was very safe archival. Price wuold be $600-800 and I would like to build in steps.

HP EX485 (except the raid 5 part) will do all you have asked for.

Be the single backup for all my 3 computers( each has 40-80gb HDDS) - Check!
Setup in raid 5 preferably. - no check here
Ability to do automatic backups of all pc's. - Check!
Ability to archive all pc's onto dvd/blueray - Check!
Serve as file/video/pic/media/print/server. - Check!

So 4 out of 5 requests filled.

I have an older EX470 that runs 4 - 2TB drives. Holds ALL our movies/pics/music and backs up every laptop we have (currently 6). Aside from not having raid 5, I f'n LOVE it.

If you go the EX485/7 route, you can get the HP iphone app that streams audio from your home server to your phone.

If you can find an older EX470/5, you can update the proc/memory and get the HP 3.0 update to make it just like the 485/7 series.

I was able to get the AMD processor and 2GB stick of ram for under $100 brand new.
Snagged the discs (2tb) off newegg for $139/ea on sale with free ship.
Got the server used off ebay for $250.
The HP update cost me $30.
Not too bad, 8TB for under $1000

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10218304-1.html

Digital_Boy
03-18-2010, 2:09 AM
I have a trio of Promise NS-4300Ns, in 2, 4 and 6 TB flavors. They support SMB, NFS, FTP and DLNA home entertainment networking so you can stream content to a settop box, support Windows domain and workgroup, and are gig ethernet.

There's also the NS-4600N, which is a more feature rich version of the 4300N.

http://promise.com/product/pd_l3.asp?Product_Layer_ID=PRLA20060907003

Bird of Fire
03-18-2010, 1:41 PM
I've been shopping around for a solution similar to yours but it must have a bittorrent client out of the gate or able to add on. So far I've found this which is pretty reasonable considering the features you get for the amount it costs.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1697/thecus_n4100pro_four_drive_nas_server/index.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822102026&cm_re=thecus-_-22-102-026-_-Product

Under 400 bones, BYOD. Even cheaper on amazon.

Be the single backup for all my 3 computers( each has 40-80gb HDDS): CHECK
Setup in raid 5 preferably.: CHECK
Ability to do automatic backups of all pc's.: CHECK
Ability to archive all pc's onto dvd/blueray: No built in BRD/DVD player but can be done.
Serve as file/video/pic/media/print/server.: CHECK

Corbin Dallas
03-18-2010, 2:46 PM
I've been shopping around for a solution similar to yours but it must have a bittorrent client out of the gate or able to add on. So far I've found this which is pretty reasonable considering the features you get for the amount it costs.

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/1697/thecus_n4100pro_four_drive_nas_server/index.html

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822102026&cm_re=thecus-_-22-102-026-_-Product

Under 400 bones, BYOD. Even cheaper on amazon.

Be the single backup for all my 3 computers( each has 40-80gb HDDS): CHECK
Setup in raid 5 preferably.: CHECK
Ability to do automatic backups of all pc's.: CHECK
Ability to archive all pc's onto dvd/blueray: No built in BRD/DVD player but can be done.
Serve as file/video/pic/media/print/server.: CHECK

I would NOT recommend the Thecus N4100 unless you like LOTS of headaches and reading an instruction manual that makes NO sense what-so-ever.

We have one at my work as a file storage unit and it SUCKS the fatty. Basically in order to get or save a file you have to FTP to the server. And no, iSCSI doesn't work like they say it does.

Bird of Fire
03-18-2010, 3:09 PM
I would NOT recommend the Thecus N4100 unless you like LOTS of headaches and reading an instruction manual that makes NO sense what-so-ever.

We have one at my work as a file storage unit and it SUCKS the fatty. Basically in order to get or save a file you have to FTP to the server. And no, iSCSI doesn't work like they say it does.

Hrm. Is it different with you being in an AD environment as opposed to a workgroup? I've setup a few small SOHO's like that unit before and for a non AD environment it's pretty straightforward. Give it a name, map a folder as a drive, done.

odysseus
03-18-2010, 3:20 PM
Basically in order to get or save a file you have to FTP to the server.

Huh? This doesn't support a Windows CIF or L/Unix SMB/NFS mounting?

Corbin Dallas
03-19-2010, 7:19 AM
Not from what I can tell. I've tried everything under the sun, read the whole manual and used their forums to get help on the issue.

Bottom line was we could not "share" the server in the most basic sense. (EG no shared folder on the desktop)

f33dback
03-19-2010, 12:47 PM
If no one has suggested it check out: http://www.synology.com/us/index.php

audiophil2
03-20-2010, 10:11 AM
I like the Synology features either as a 2 HDD or 4 HDD unit.

Can anyone comment on this one from LG:
http://www.frys.com/product/6135599?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

f33dback
03-20-2010, 10:20 AM
I have 2 of the synology units, you should at least take a gander at the feature set in the interface, I haven't seen anything to match synology and the price point is low as well.
My DS209 is quiet and reliable.

TWoods450
03-22-2010, 10:05 PM
This is super user friendly, nearly no user input required. I don't have to worry about about configuring the RAID or monitoring the health of the drives.

Best reason is that you can mix & match different size drives. Mine has 3x 750GB & 1x 500GB drives for a total of 1.8TB. I think the max is 16TB or 4x 4TB drives.

I think the unit is around $325, put keep in mind no drives are included.

http://www.drobo.com/products/drobo.php

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31i%2BuwTARkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

couldn't agree more about the drobo, just remember the standard drobo is not a NAS, to make it a NAS you'll need their network adapter, if you are looking to spend around 800 you can easily do all you are looking at, 1.5tb drives are cheap as well, the drobo will allow you to start with two drives and expand over time. While its not true RAID5 it uses their own quasi-raid that is VERY reliable.

Satex
04-02-2010, 1:07 PM
http://freenas.org/freenas

Freenas is very good if you've got a spare machine around.

I played around with FreeNAS. While it's a worthwhile effort I did not find it reliable, and it was VERY hardware sensitive. Kudos to the writer but I decided to do away with it.

If no one has suggested it check out: http://www.synology.com/us/index.php

I like the Synology features either as a 2 HDD or 4 HDD unit.

Synology is absolutely phenomenal! I have the DS209 and absolutely love it. A few highlights of their products:
1) They actually use the same firmware code base for all and update them on a regular basis, unlike most other companies.
2) The UI is phenomenal. Very well designed.
3) The box is quite and low power.
4) Well priced.

dchang0
04-03-2010, 4:40 PM
Netgear readynas, I have a couple of them, lots of features(more than you'll ever need for basic home use) decent warranty also.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122047

+10000

I love the ReadyNAS units and have installed many of them at various customers. They are feature-packed for the price and play well with both Windows and Macs.

The only feature you mentioned that they don't support is the backup to Blu-Ray, though you CAN back them up to direct-attached external USB hard drives.

If you're a Debian LINUX hacker, you can make the ReadyNAS do just about anything, though you'll void your warranty if you get too crazy.

Recently, Fry's had the ReadyNAS NVX on sale for $449 with two 1TB drives.