PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about getting a C&R FFL

hollowpoint67
03-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Pros and cons of getting this?

Is there more than one process besides the 07? form?

also whats the step by step process, the CMP process seems really easy after someone broke it down, as far as this goes Im a bit weary.

ke6guj
03-13-2010, 11:32 PM
Here is my condensed guide on how to get a C&R FFL

Go to http://www.atf.gov/dcof/index.htm and request F 7CR (5310.16) - Application for License (Collector of Curios and Relics) Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44, Firearms. . On-line copies of the application you may find are out-of-date, obsolete, and not acceptable by BATF.

They will mail it to you, fill it out per the instructions, send one copy back to BATF +$30, send second copy to CLEO that you refered to on the form, wait ~2 months, receive approved C&R FFL in mail.

YOu can purchase C&R firearms (of any age) (no AW's or NFA stuff) while out of state, cash-and-carry, and bring back with you with no in-state dealer needed. C&R handguns that are brought in require you to submit a C&R handgun report within five days. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/curioapp.pdf

C&R long guns over 50 years old can be purchased in-state from any non-dealer or can be shipped into the state via a mail/phone/web order.
C&R long guns under 50 years old must be transfered through a CA dealer if you are physically in CA when you take possession.
Any C&R handguns purchased in-state or on-line must go through a CA FFL.

If you also get the COE, then you can DROS C&R firearms and take them home immediately, no 10-day wait.

To get the COE, Certificate of Eligibility, download the app at http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/coeapp.pdf. Just follow the directions on how to fill it out. Included in the directions is a URL to a list of Live Scan locations where you'll have your fingerprints electronically scanned and sent to CADOJ and the FBI.

The COE is more expensive, around $100 in fees for the first year, but the renewal is something like $20 bucks per year. It has a very limited use in CA, but when used in conjuction with the C&R exempts you from the 10-day wait on C&R purchases from a dealer (still must DROS it), and exempts you from the 1-in-30 handgun regulations for ALL handguns, modern and C&R.

If you get your C&R FFL, you are not required to get a COE if you don't want one. You just don't gain the privledges that the 03+COE combo extends.

Your CLEO is your local police chief and/or county Sheriff.

powaybob
03-14-2010, 6:47 AM
KE6GUJ described the process correctly, but the turnaround for me was more like 4 weeks. It is really a simple process.

hollowpoint67
03-14-2010, 12:39 PM
well that was definitely the answer I was looking for...

so C&R long arms over 50 i can take possession of without the FFL process

but C&R long arms UNDER 50 years old I have to process like any other firearm?

This part confused me:

C&R handguns that are brought in require you to submit a C&R handgun report within five days. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/curioapp.pdf

meaning if I get an out of state C&R handgun I just need to notify the DOJ, but if I buy a C&R instate / online I have to go through the regular FFL process?

ke6guj
03-14-2010, 2:03 PM
well that was definitely the answer I was looking for...

so C&R long arms over 50 i can take possession of without the FFL process yes, if purchased from a private party. Any C&R firearm bought/transfered through a dealer must go through the DROS process, but as mentioned before, if you have the COE with the C&R FFL, you can take it home immediately after the DROS is filled out.

but C&R long arms UNDER 50 years old I have to process like any other firearm?
correct, it must go through an FFL like any other firearm.

This part confused me:
C&R handguns that are brought in require you to submit a C&R handgun report within five days. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/curioapp.pdf

meaning if I get an out of state C&R handgun I just need to notify the DOJ, but if I buy a C&R instate / online I have to go through the regular FFL process?

correct, if you are physically out of state, you can take possession of any C&R firearm, including C&R handguns. But CA law requires you to register any C&R handguns that you import into the state.

If you are physically in-state, then all CA firearms laws apply, which basically require you to use a CA dealer to transfer all firearms, including all C&R firearms except for those C&R long guns that are over 50-years-old and purchased from anybody except a CA dealer.

Corbin Dallas
05-06-2010, 12:04 PM
tagged for future reading

sd_shooter
05-06-2010, 2:43 PM
Even if you never buy any guns with your C&R, there are other benefits:
1) You should send in your license to all the C&R dealers in the country. Ask to get signed up for their flyers and newsletters, and then you'll get a weekly shipment of magazines full of e-vil looking guns. Makes for great bathroom reading material!
2) These same dealers stock lots of milsurp ammo: 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 7.62x39, 8mm, 30-06, .308, etc. Some of them will only sell it to you if your license is on file with them.
3) You get a decent discount from Midway and Brownells. I ordered a bunch of cleaning supplies recently from Midway and my discount brought the bill down from $114 to $93. The license will pay for itself very quickly.

goathead
05-07-2010, 2:03 AM
good info

Packy14
05-10-2010, 9:36 AM
Grafs also gives discount... which is nice if you ever want to reload. I recently saved 30$ on a 870 stock from Midway, and 50$ on a scout scope from Grafs... so my C&R has more than paid for itself already.

singleshotman
05-10-2010, 9:46 AM
Only good for the discount soon, when they pass AB1810 you woun't be able to get a C & R delievered to you home because it's not registered, just as you can't get a C & R PISTOL now delievered to your home because it's not registered. I doubt any usefullness as to AB962 either, if Gunbroker is typical of dealers who won't sell ANYTHING to CA.Waste of money and time.

GearHead
05-10-2010, 5:16 PM
Only good for the discount soon, when they pass AB1810 you woun't be able to get a C & R delievered to you home because it's not registered, just as you can't get a C & R PISTOL now delievered to your home because it's not registered. I doubt any usefullness as to AB962 either, if Gunbroker is typical of dealers who won't sell ANYTHING to CA.Waste of money and time.

Yeah, you're wrong

DavidRSA
05-12-2010, 7:38 PM
Bookmarked!

stitchnicklas
05-12-2010, 10:16 PM
wrong

stitchnicklas
05-12-2010, 10:18 PM
i filed for mine and am still processing,there was a snafu in the ncic system and i had to send extra paper work.a c&r ffl i to your advantage.and the renewal is easy,every 3 years for 30 bucks

Fot
05-13-2010, 9:17 AM
If you buy just one gun oline this pays for it's self bypassing ffl transfer fee's.I just mailed my forms in yesterday.

stitchnicklas
05-13-2010, 9:30 AM
i also recommend getting extra forms for friends because i suspect ffl's are going to get harder to get eventually,give the extra forms to friends.....