PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here familiar with dummynet and ipfw?

sfwdiy
03-13-2010, 7:41 PM
I have a question I just can't seem to figure out on my own.

I have an OS X box running as a gateway on my DSL line. It has 2 ethernet ports. One goes to my DSL modem, and the other shares the DSL connection to the LAN.

The gateway machine is running a bittorrent client and a few other autonomous server-type apps. It's also running ipfw to keep the machine from being accessible from the outside. I do all my web browsing and such on other machines on the LAN.

Is there any way I can prioritize traffic coming in and out of the LAN over the bittorrent traffic using dummynet pipes and queues? I want all the incoming traffic going into one pipe. I'd like all the bittorrent traffic to go into one queue with a priority of 1, and everything else to go into a queue with a priority of 99.

That way the bittorrent traffic will use all the available bandwidth when nothing else is going on, but as soon as I want to do some web browsing it becomes the absolute lowest priority traffic and uses little bandwidth.

I can't figure out how to separate the traffic into the two queues with NAT and an ipfw ruleset running. Any ideas?

--B