View Full Version : C&R out of state transaction question

03-13-2010, 4:20 PM
If I am a C&R licensed person can I recieve a C&R California compliant rifle from an individual (non-licensed) from out of state? Does the individual have to ship the rifle to me through an FFL? I think I know the answer, but I want to be sure. Thanks.

03-13-2010, 4:36 PM
Long guns only.
Handguns must still go through an FFL unless you physically purchase them out of state.

03-13-2010, 4:45 PM
Thanks Cokebottle.

03-13-2010, 5:16 PM
I think I misread your question... but the answer doesn't change ;)

The gun does not have to be shipped through an FFL on the seller's end.

The BATF requires that an FFL be involved for interstate transfers, and that the transfer be compliant with the laws of both states.
CaDOJ requires that the FFL involved be a California FFL for California residents (that's why you can't normally go to a gun show in Phoenix and buy a gun).

In this case, you are "the" FFL, and you are a California FFL, so you meet both requirements of the BATF and CaDOJ.

03-13-2010, 7:47 PM
Thanks for breaking it down for me. I'm not good at translating the "lawyer talk" in the C&R book.