PDA

View Full Version : Need an accountant to provide consultation and maybe do taxes

Booshanky
03-13-2010, 3:46 PM
Hi folks!

The wife and I have made a lot of changes in the last year. Changed jobs, I became self-employed (to an extent) and we bought a house. This make taxes a little more complicated and I wanted to consult with someone about it. If you can save us some money, I'd be more than happy to provide a significant percentage or whatnots. Not sure how this works exactly.

rkt88edmo
03-13-2010, 4:02 PM
I'd be more than happy to provide a significant percentage or whatnots. Not sure how this works exactly.

Tip #1 - Anyone who is working for a cut of your "savings" has an incentive to be aggressive, is that what you want?
Tip #2 - Your taxes may be more complicated, but they don't sound that complicated, I'd suggest using turbotax.
Tip #3 - Just ask questions here or elsewhere on the web about the specific things you are worried about.

How it normally works? Hourly rates or fixed fee.

Booshanky
03-13-2010, 4:31 PM
Tip #1 - Anyone who is working for a cut of your "savings" has an incentive to be aggressive, is that what you want?
Tip #2 - Your taxes may be more complicated, but they don't sound that complicated, I'd suggest using turbotax.
Tip #3 - Just ask questions here or elsewhere on the web about the specific things you are worried about.

How it normally works? Hourly rates or fixed fee.

Ok, fair enough. I know nothing about this, I was just making an offer.

So ok, fixed fee it is. Here's the gist of the situation.

I work for multipled companies, but I kept myself on their salaries rather than be 1099'd because I didn't want to get too far over my head. I feel now, however, that I should be able to write off a good portion of my house because I really do work out of it at least 3 or 4 days a week, so I'm sure I could write off that space. Just don't know how, or if it's legal.

Things like that, I don't want to get on the wrong side of the gubment, but I do want to collect what's mine too.

Thanks!

rkt88edmo
03-13-2010, 4:47 PM
By the rules, your workspace has to be dedicated to work only.

Spend time in there goofing off and for personal stuff and you can't claim it as workspace.

If it was only used as workspace 100% of the time you calculate your deductions based on expenses and sq footage.

You are right, for situations like that talking to an advisor may be best. I don't do any personal tax stuff outside of my own anymore, but try to keep abreast of whats what.

RedFord150
03-19-2010, 3:35 PM
My CPA is in Torrance, CA. I am very happy with him. He is a tax pro for over 20 years. He charges me a flat fee. I am not clear on whether a 'Real CPA' can take a percentage. This might be illegal.
My guy is a CPA, not a 'Tax preparer'. Your deal might work for Jackson Hewitt or H &R Block, not sure.
Anyway, if you want the name, send me a PM.

ojisan
03-19-2010, 3:48 PM
E. Paul Brodsky
2710 W. Burbank Blvd
Burbank CA 91505
818 841-5451
paul@epbcpa.com

Not cheap but oh so good, have your numbers ready and organized.
You need a receipt for every nickel you spent that was work related.
This includes internet fees, utilities, phone, everything.
Take pics and dimensions of the dedicated work and storage area(s) for deduction calculations (this is watched closely), and keep them as proof.

Nessal
03-24-2010, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I think it's illegal to charge a percentage of the return. Has to be a flat fee from my understanding.

thetaxguy
03-31-2010, 9:39 AM
Hi folks!

The wife and I have made a lot of changes in the last year. Changed jobs, I became self-employed (to an extent) and we bought a house. This make taxes a little more complicated and I wanted to consult with someone about it. If you can save us some money, I'd be more than happy to provide a significant percentage or whatnots. Not sure how this works exactly.

Talk to a tax prefessional BEFORE you make any life altering changes. Most people only discuss their decisions after the trigger has been pulled at which time the damage has already been done.

Now that my disclaimer has been said, most of your your effort should be directed towards your business. If you do not understand what goes into the accounting aspect of your business ask an accountant.

As for your individual return prep; it should be pretty straight forward enough for any tax professional to help you.

Pay a straight fee for your tax and accounting services. Therefore both parties know what they are getting into.

Good luck,

-Shawn

kwest10
03-31-2010, 11:17 PM
Dan "the man" Traxler
http://www.traxtax.com/traxtax/aboutus.html
military/service friendly. Talk guns with the guy.