PDA

View Full Version : need help with removing malware


audiophil2
03-13-2010, 8:00 AM
I got this nasty fake "windows security center" malware installed on my laptop. It's the one that pretents it is windows security center, then does a fake scan, then prompts you to buy some fake anti-malware software.
So far I have tried the following:
f8 and restore pc to earlier date--fail
install rkill.exe to stop root processes and then install and run malwarebytes---fail
i don't know what next to do to get the out of the pc. It almost has the pc completley useless now.

koxx.dta
03-13-2010, 8:04 AM
go back to a recent restore point before u got the virus...on my hp u have to press esc at the setup when u turn it on...i had the same virus...try different restore points go back as far as u can

also spybot search & destroy works well for me

JDay
03-13-2010, 8:28 AM
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-antivirus-2010.html

Read that.

Booshanky
03-13-2010, 4:33 PM
I use malwarebytes and trendmicro's housecall all run from safe-mode. 90% of infections can be cleared by that. The other 10% require you to pull the infected drive, attach it to a clean computer, and run the scan there.

audiophil2
03-13-2010, 5:20 PM
Well, I think I got rid of it. I ran rkill.exe as a pdf file and then downloaded Avira. Avira scanned my system and removed 5 infected files in the registry.

I realized that I could not do a system restore because my laptop was unable to make new restore points due to the HDD being full.

So, I am thinking of installing a new HDD with higher capacity, installing a fresh XP and then only installing the programs I really need.
I now want a NAS to store all my media files. I don;t know if I should go RAID 1 plus dvd back-ups or RAID 5 and hope the HDDs don;t fail all at once. Suggestions? I don;t want to spend more than $600 for total security/backup/archival for 2 laptops and one business desktop. I have seen something from Synology that looks interesting.

Doheny
03-13-2010, 5:33 PM
I use Microsoft Security Essentials (http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/). It's free and has gotten stuff of my HD that others have not.

Good luck...let us know how it goes.

VictorFranko
03-13-2010, 5:39 PM
+1 on Malwarebytes. Also try CCleaner, both are free downloads

Booshanky
03-13-2010, 6:16 PM
Remember safe mode though! i almost find it irrelevant to try and remote viri in standard mode.

audiophil2
03-13-2010, 8:04 PM
Safemode did nothing. I had successfully removed this a few weeks ago on a Dell laptop in 2 hours but it was dug in deep on my Lenovo. I had to run rkill as a .com and as a .pdf file so the virus would not shut it down. Then I was able to install Avira and remove it. Took me 3 days to get this thing out of the system.