PDA

View Full Version : HRA Garand in Nigerian Stock (Pic Heavy)

dlkk
03-12-2010, 9:28 PM
This started out as a CMP HRA 4.6 mil Service Grade.

Installed BM59 FH/Muzzle brake modified to fit the M1 (Reese Surplus)

Scout rail (CMP)

Nigerian MKIV BM59 Stock (Reese is out, finally found one after almost two years)

The reason it has the winter trigger is not because I going to shoot it with gloves on. I shot about 50 rounds and the trigger pin walked out. The cut out for the trigger group is too large and allowed the pin to come out.
I found a pic of a BM59 trigger group and saw it had the winter trigger.
Again found the parts I needed from Reese Surplus.

Want to put a pistol scope on it 2x7 or 2x8 magnafication, don't want to spend too much. Any sugestions?

Right now I was thinking of putting on a Konus Sightpro Atomic Red Dot sight I have laying around.

I know some of you purist out there may not like what I've done, but at least it's a Wood Stock, and can be put back to it's original state fairly quickly.

dlkk
03-12-2010, 9:30 PM
pics removed

Vladimir
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
very unique looking garand there, never seen that config before

bigstick61
03-12-2010, 11:24 PM
What kind of pouch is that on the butt for the clips? Does the railed handguard add a significant amount of weight?

steelrain82
03-13-2010, 12:19 AM
I think it's neat but at the same time I kinda find it disturbing.

hybridatsun350
03-13-2010, 1:08 AM
I think it's neat but at the same time I kinda find it disturbing.

Yea, I'm kind of in the same boat. I think it's the rail. Overall, it's a cool rifle though!

Chk Chk Boom
03-13-2010, 1:24 AM
Minus the rail, it would be AWESOME.

JAGACIDA
03-13-2010, 2:10 PM
I wish it were in my safe! I like it.

doughboy334
03-14-2010, 12:33 PM
super cool! those garand pouches are neat too, but they are $50 IIRC

dlkk
03-14-2010, 1:49 PM
What kind of pouch is that on the butt for the clips? Does the railed handguard add a significant amount of weight?

I got the stock pouch from herehttp://olongapooutfitters.com/
They cost $25.00
While the rail does add weight, it's not that much. It is made out of aluminum.
The Nigerian stock weighs less than the original stock, so that kind of offsets the weight of the rail.

B Strong
03-14-2010, 4:14 PM
If you dig it, you're gtg.

4 Brigada
03-14-2010, 10:36 PM
I think its cool, and also being a purist I have to ask why. But then I have modified a garand for High Power service by converting it to .308, and there was a model in that caliber. And another to use M-14 mags. That stock is from a nigerian BM 59 a direct descendent from the M1 Garand lineage even more so than the M-14. The most important question is how does it shoot.:)

dlkk
03-14-2010, 11:41 PM
I think its cool, and also being a purist I have to ask why. But then I have modified a garand for High Power service by converting it to .308, and there was a model in that caliber. And another to use M-14 mags. That stock is from a nigerian BM 59 a direct descendent from the M1 Garand lineage even more so than the M-14. The most important question is how does it shoot.:)

I understand the purist. When I first picked it up,you just the feel of the history that this weapon has. The wood and metal, the solid feel of it.
I'll admit it, who hasn't held their garand and watched Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan.

As for why. Most of my guns are Military/Police type guns, I think I just wanted to update it for kicks. Like I said I didn't Bubba Garand it. It can be put back to original form. I have a Garand Barreled receiver that I working on and I will keep one of them Original.

How it shoots. I haven't shot it for groups, just shooting steel. I can hit 200 yd pretty much all the time. 300 yd half the time and 400 yd once in a while.
I did not shoot it with the scout rail on it, I wonder if it will affect it much?

Still trying to decide on a pistol scope for it, don't want to spend a lot.
If I'm going to spend $200.00 I'll get a Weaver. Don't really want to spend more than that, but if I can get something decent and reliable for less I'm all ears.

bigstick61
03-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Check out an intermediate eye relief rifle scope, like the one made by Leupold or the one made by Burris.

N_S
03-16-2010, 8:11 AM
I'm not sure if that's the coolest or ugliest Garand I've ever seen.

eighteenninetytwo
03-16-2010, 5:23 PM
I think it would be the coolest without the rail.

smle-man
03-16-2010, 5:25 PM
I'm not sure if that's the coolest or ugliest Garand I've ever seen.

It is certainly the longest M1 rifle I've seen.

BHP FAN
03-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Saweeeet!

doughboy334
03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
uh oh after this week I'll own two garands and I kinda like that Nigerian stock...

CSDGuy
03-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Too bad those Nigerian Stocks are really hard to come by... I'd have enjoyed turning heads with mine that way... ;)

However, I'd almost enjoy seeing my Garand in one of these:

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/access/m1-2.gif

dlkk
03-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Too bad those Nigerian Stocks are really hard to come by... I'd have enjoyed turning heads with mine that way... ;)

I don't know about this stock, even for me. It's a bit much.

Old John Garand might be turning in his grave like a rotisserie. LOL
Or he might be proud that his weapon is still relevant, and that someone would make a stock for it even now.

frenchy1957
04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
dlkk,

Where did you finally find the MKIV stock? I have been looking for about 19mos. and have yet to track on down. I plan on doing a similiar conversion to one of my Garands. Man I would love that in my safe. Is that the Tri-compensator on the barrel?

frenchy1957
04-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Dlkk, why don't you check our SWFA. Their scopes cover all the areas and they are well built(I have 3) and they are Tough. More Importantly they are really reasonably priced.

dlkk
04-10-2010, 7:52 PM
Frenchy1957,
What make and model scope do you have from SWFA?
I got lucky on the Nigerian stock. I was looking for info on a BM59 front sight I got and came across a thread on another board, I signed up and sent him a email. He lives in Alaska.
I'll PM you with his email. Good Luck.

Seesm
04-10-2010, 8:16 PM
Alot of Garands out there and this on is Unique... I think it is cool.

Plywood
04-11-2010, 9:37 AM

Is that a real stock or a photoshop?

vf111
04-13-2010, 3:20 PM
Is that a real stock or a photoshop?

Sage EBR

http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/access/ebr.html

EricClay
04-14-2010, 10:26 AM
This started out as a CMP HRA 4.6 mil Service Grade.

Installed BM59 FH/Muzzle brake modified to fit the M1 (Reese Surplus)

I couldn't tell from the photo if the flash hider was doing something with the gas plug. Make sure you're using a vented gas plug otherwise. An extension that long to the barrel will cause very very high op-rod pressures and bolt speeds.

Eric