PDA

View Full Version : big 5 nagant inspection

Kerplow
03-12-2010, 2:06 PM
im going to swing by big 5 after work and probably pick up a 91/30..

how can i tell if they have been counterbored? where is this counterbore?

Deadbolt
03-12-2010, 2:10 PM
ou can tell by a recess in this muzzel crown (correct terminology?)

Basically a counter bore isnt a bad thing, if you're looking for a shooter its probably good because a counter bored barrel usually only affects collectability.

check it out :

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r290/PA_Rifleman/Mosin-general/counterbored.jpg

skywarp1978
03-12-2010, 2:34 PM
Here is a photo of my Finned Mosin with a bent site and counterbore, it's had a rough life.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/Supprrjohn/counterbore.jpg

Kerplow
03-12-2010, 4:05 PM
ah, i see!

thanks for the info, guys.

im gonna bring a cleaning rod and my boroscope and be that jerk. i do want a shooter, but if it is collectible all the better.

thanks again

sniper5
03-12-2010, 4:26 PM
Counterboring is just a technique to set back the crown without shortening the barrel. Military rifle barrels can't be shortened because it would affect bayonet mounting. Most accuracy degrades from damage or wear at the crown and can be corrected by slightly shortening and recrowning the muzzle. In the military they simply drill back into the muzzle and clean up the end of the rifling, in essence establishing a new crown. Properly done, the accuracy will be restored to the equal of a new barrel. Nothing wrong with it, if properly done, and a common wartime cost saving measure in several countries.

OrovilleTim
03-12-2010, 6:30 PM
What bugs me is that they lock the triggers so you can't drop the bolt. Kind of hard to inspect the rifling.

iareConfusE
03-12-2010, 6:36 PM
When I went to inspect my first Big 5 Mosin, I made a whole checklist of what I needed to look for. Some things on that check list required removing the bolt, which they wouldn't let me do because of the trigger locks, so I focused mainly on finish, condition of the wood, and metal condition. I made sure that there was no rust to be found. Usually if there isn't any rust on the outside of the receiver, the inside of the barrel is good to go. Bring a pen light with you so you can look down the bore anyways though. When I wanted to inspect the bore all they gave me was a white sheet of paper and I was told to hold it up against the chamber.

Flyin Brian
03-12-2010, 6:43 PM
Our local Big 5 will pull the lock and bolt and let you inspect the rifle without the bolt. Maybe if you ask the manager they will do the same at your store?

artkat2
03-12-2010, 7:27 PM
See if you can get the firearms manager, they will usually unlock for an inspection. I've done it with Mosins and Garands, just tell them "if you want my $, unlock it!".
Andy

BatBoy2 75
03-12-2010, 7:31 PM
My Big 5 had 5 rifles. One in the rack and four back in storage. I had them empty them out of the boxes and let me inspect them. All, except one, had good bores with no counterboring. One had a mismatched bolt, receiver and trigger. Unfortunately, no hex receivers. All had good to very good stocks.

I'll give the manager this, despite his lack of knowledge about the Mosin 9130 he was very interested in what I was inspecting for and why.

BTW-I of course, I forgot my blood decks coupon; $9.99 and some extra taxes down the drain.

Skandy714
03-12-2010, 8:11 PM
So do I still have DROS it at big5?

iareConfusE
03-12-2010, 8:31 PM

Lol of course. Big 5 are Nazi's about DROS.

Vlad 11
03-12-2010, 8:59 PM

However, you can put more than one long rifle on a single dros. My last big 5 mosin purchase i bought two ( somehow a correct stock 1941 M38 showed up there )
so that made it a little better deal.

Kerplow
03-12-2010, 9:24 PM
i couldnt pull the proverbial trigger.

both guns had yucky looking bores and the other store had none. oh well, there will be others.

iareConfusE
03-12-2010, 9:51 PM
i couldnt pull the proverbial trigger.

both guns had yucky looking bores and the other store had none. oh well, there will be others.

Are you sure the bores were actually ruined, or did they just look dusty and dirty? My Mosin barrel looking HORRIBLY dirty when I first inspected it, but I could see really strong rifling, and the overall condition of the rifle looked unissued, so I went for it. After some cleaning, the bore looked REALLY nice. Super shiny and was gleaming in the light.

Norm222
03-12-2010, 11:13 PM
I've always wanted one of these and I think pull the trigger this time with the BD coupon. Can anyone give me some tips on what to look for and avoid. Thanks.

nick
03-12-2010, 11:30 PM
What bugs me is that they lock the triggers so you can't drop the bolt. Kind of hard to inspect the rifling.

Not for the ones in the back room. Ask them how many they have, inspect all of them, and pick the best one (unless all of them are dogs).

Vladimir
03-12-2010, 11:50 PM
i thought counter bored was where the rifle sits on a counter and is bored? :party::rofl2:

Kerplow
03-13-2010, 2:38 AM
Are you sure the bores were actually ruined, or did they just look dusty and dirty? My Mosin barrel looking HORRIBLY dirty when I first inspected it, but I could see really strong rifling, and the overall condition of the rifle looked unissued, so I went for it. After some cleaning, the bore looked REALLY nice. Super shiny and was gleaming in the light.

i saw what looked like pits/holes in the bore.

butch952
03-13-2010, 7:41 AM
Big 5's quality on surplus rifles will vary allot but sometimes you will find a real gem there.Good Luck

Milsurp Collector
03-13-2010, 8:05 AM
If you're shopping for rifles it's worth spending $5-6 to get this bore flashlight

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/656630.jpg

You can light up the bore from the chamber end without removing the bolt. It is especially helpful with M1 Rifles and Carbines.

Kerplow
03-13-2010, 12:22 PM
If you're shopping for rifles it's worth spending $5-6 to get this bore flashlight

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/656630.jpg

You can light up the bore from the chamber end without removing the bolt. It is especially helpful with M1 Rifles and Carbines.

i've actually god one of these overpriced monstrosities that lights up the bore pretty well: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=81957&group_ID=21604&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

but that bore light looks way handier.

Flogger23m
03-13-2010, 12:49 PM
i've actually god one of these overpriced monstrosities that lights up the bore pretty well: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=81957&group_ID=21604&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

but that bore light looks way handier.

Damn, you could buy 4 Mosins for that!

Thanks for the tips as well, going to Big 5 for a Mosin soon as well.

Kerplow
03-13-2010, 1:03 PM
Damn, you could buy 4 Mosins for that!

Thanks for the tips as well, going to Big 5 for a Mosin soon as well.

yeah snap-on tools are an awful disease. i would never have bought it but i got a $400 voucher after i bought a tool-box. :rolleyes:

it has come in very handy for locating stuff in walls when doing electrical work.

JaMail
03-13-2010, 1:41 PM
im thinking of doing a bulk buy of 10 to 20 from either J&G or one of the other big mosin dealers, i plan on discarding all but 4 of them, ill let you know when they get in.

Kerplow
03-13-2010, 2:19 PM
im thinking of doing a bulk buy of 10 to 20 from either J&G or one of the other big mosin dealers, i plan on discarding all but 4 of them, ill let you know when they get in.

please do.

finloq
03-13-2010, 2:27 PM
With Big 5, I have found that it matters: who you talk to and how busy they are. Go when it is slow and they will remove the lock, so that you can pull the bolt. They will also bring out the boxes, if there isn't anyone else waiting at the counter. Remember, they have the low man on the totem pole clean the rifles to put out front. Basically they just wipe off the cosmoline from the outside and maybe the chamber, the barrel is usually left full of it. They also, do not grade their milsurps. You can find the most common of rifles next to once in a lifetime buys.

iareConfusE
03-13-2010, 3:09 PM
With Big 5, I have found that it matters: who you talk to and how busy they are. Go when it is slow and they will remove the lock, so that you can pull the bolt. They will also bring out the boxes, if there isn't anyone else waiting at the counter. Remember, they have the low man on the totem pole clean the rifles to put out front. Basically they just wipe off the cosmoline from the outside and maybe the chamber, the barrel is usually left full of it. They also, do not grade their milsurps. You can find the most common of rifles next to once in a lifetime buys.

I happen to have the worst customer service at the Big 5 here in Irvine. The time I went in to look for a Mosin, I asked them if they had any other rifles in the back and if I could inspect them. They said, "yeah, sure we have a lot of rifles in the safe in the back, but they all look the same so it won't even matter if you inspect them." Just being too lazy to bring them all out for me. I just ignored this retarded comment since the one they currently had on display actually looked really good anyways.

There's just terrible customer service at that particular Big 5. I have read some people have had really good customer service from their local branches however, so, I don't really have anything against Big 5, just my local one.